• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

xaosslug

nN5YNpz.jpg
MMZvgs8.jpg
l1Jq0vD.jpg
FTi63JI.jpg
tPEuAgp.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
93% Wonder Woman
9wcOG.gif
86% Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
8mB0Q.gif
29% Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
8vteV.gif
81% Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5f4ew.gif
20% Baywatch
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a 3 Idiotas
-
-
aAS8X.gif
36% Churchill

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Wonder Woman' Conquers the Domestic Box Office With Heroic $100.5 Million

”Wonder Woman" is officially a box office hero.

The Warner Bros. and DC Comics film appears to have delivered on massively high expectations — as of the Sunday morning the super hero film is looking at a $100.5 million domestic opening weekend from 4,165 locations.

Compared with other super hero movies, that's a larger domestic opening than ”Iron Man" ($98.6 million); ”Doctor Strange" ($85 million); ”Thor" ($65.7 million); but less than ”Deadpool" ($132 million) and ”Man of Steel" ($116.6 million).

Patty Jenkins now holds the banner for the best domestic opening for a female director, topping ”Fifty Shades of Grey's" Sam Taylor-Johnson ($85.1 million). Before ”Wonder Woman," Jenkins' only feature was ”Monster" — an Academy Award winner that she made more than a decade ago with an $8 million budget.

Gal Gadot stars in the film as the titular hero. The Israeli actress — also known for her role in the Fast and Furious franchise — made her debut as Diana Prince in ”Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and will also appear at least twice more in both ”Justice League" movies if she doesn't get a sequel of her own.

While the opening weekend for ”Wonder Woman" is impressive, DC Comics movies have scored more in the past — recently ”Batman v Superman" and ”Suicide Squad" rocketed to $166 million and $134 million openings respectively. But ”Wonder Woman" had something those movies didn't — critical support (it currently has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes). The conversation surrounding critics' impact on the summer box office swirled after ”Baywatch" received an aggregate score of 19%, and proceeded to flop over the slowest Memorial Day weekend in nearly two decades.

The only other major release this weekend was Fox's ”Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie" which will take in $23.5 million from 3,434. Kevin Hart, Ed Helms, Nick Kroll, Thomas Middleditch, Jordan Peele, and Kristen Schaal toplined the voice cast of the animated adventure about two students who hypnotize their principal into thinking he's a super hero.

Disney's ”Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" should land in third this weekend with about $22 million from 4,276 locations. Disney and Marvel's ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" continues to stay in the top five, this weekend in the fourth slot. With an additional $10 million in North American grosses from 3,507 locations, James Gunn's sequel has earned over $350 million domestically in five weekends. ”Baywatch" rounds out the top five this weekend with about $8.5 million from 3,647 locations.

In limited release, ”3 Idiotas" from Lionsgate and Pantelion will make $600,000 from 349 locations. Cohen Media Group's historical drama ”Churchill" is looking at $407,000 from 217 theaters. And Demetri Martin's directorial debut ”Dean" from CBS Films should take in $60,000 from 15 locations.

more to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.241B ($93M in Japan after 7 weekends at #1)
Fate of the Furious - $1.228B
Guardians of the Galaxy V2 - $817M
Get Out - $247M (really good run overseas for the sort of film that doesn't even get a full international release)
Wonder Woman - $223M
King Arthur - $129M
Baywatch - $67M

Epcott

Oh man... those King Aurthor numbers. Congrats on Wonder Woman and Patty... they beat the pants off of Captain Underpants by ~$80 mill.

It's going to be interesting to see where Wonder Woman's domestic box office is going to end up, especially when compared to the critically panned DC movies before it.

kswiston

It's going to be interesting to see where Wonder Woman's domestic box office is going to end up, especially when compared to the critically panned DC movies before it.

It has its work cut out for it to rank anywhere other than last unfortunately. Beating Man of Steel is most feasible, but even that will require better legs than any comic film since Ant-Man, and Ant-man has full summer weekdays. Early June has better weekdays than May, but not by a ton.

I contributed with a $13 XD 3D ticket for Wonder Woman! Wish it wasn't 3D, good movie nonetheless. I really liked Pine in the movie and Gadot was mesmerizing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
xaosslug is drunk
Thread title makes sense!

Did you gulp down many 7.0%+ ABV beverages and play Overwatch to get this word salad to make sense!

StoopKid

Yikes at pirates.

That budget plus marketing and then you add in theatre cuts especially overseas. Disney has to be pretty dissapoointed.

Xaos with a legit thread title? Nice

So daaaaamn happy for Wonder Woman. Also Guardians passes 350 Domestic this weekend. Great run it's had

I couldn't contribute that OW number for Wonder Woman, but I will contribute to its legs. Can't wait to see it next weekend.

Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.241B ($93M in Japan after 7 weekends at #1)
Fate of the Furious - $1.228B
Guardians of the Galaxy V2 - $817M
Get Out - $247M (really good run overseas for the sort of film that doesn't even get a full international release)
Wonder Woman - $223M
King Arthur - $129M
Baywatch - $67M
wow this was quite close to Frozen.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Many of the most famously expensive movies ever made were shot on water. It's incredibly expensive and complicated. $230m isn't even that much, all things considered. The last Pirates movie cost $350-400m. Titanic cost $200m in 1997.

But you have to factor in how much money goes to keeping Johnny Depp's "medicine" cabinet full.

El Topo

Just when you think xaos doesn't have it anymore he busts out a title like this.

Edit:
Worldwide gross doesn't seem all that impressive though, no?

kswiston

Get Out is now at $14.6M in South Korea, making SK the biggest foreign territory for the film. By the end of its run Get Out will outgross BvS in South Korea. It will be pretty close to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well.

Get Out is now at $14.6M in South Korea, making SK the biggest foreign territory for the film. By the end of its run Get Out will outgross BvS in South Korea. It will be pretty close to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well.

And studios will take nothing away from that performance.

Chalk it up to an anomaly.

😐

Don't lose your touch xaosslug. I come here every Sunday just to read what ridiculous title you come up with, don't let the haters change you dammit! This one is disappointing.

Pretty surprised at WW's success, I might watch this. I'm not a superhero fan and I always fall for Marvel movies with good reviews and end up regretting my decisions, every damn time, so I'm pretty through with them, but I might give DC a chance.

Sean C

Putting The First Epic Movie in the title of your film, as if there will so obviously be more made, is just inviting karma for hubris.

Bronx-Man

Banned
THOUGHTS:

Hooray for Wonder Woman which I'll finally get to see in 3 hours

What the hell was Dreamworks thinking putting a superhero movie on the same day as another superhero movie?

I hope and pray that the Pirates franchise is finally done (Should've been done 10 years ago but whatever)

Alien's probably done as well unless Ridley Scott can be convinced to make Isolation: The Movie

All eyes are on Spidey now. Wonder how that's gonna turn out and if it can keep up this great movie streak of Logan, Guardians, WW.

mackaveli

What do people think the hold will be for WW next weekend? Only competition is the Mummy so WW could do well next weekend?

Could WW be #1 next weekend again?

Are Pirates movies really done or do they just need to let China pay for the next one? I mean, Aliens is done. Guy Ritchie is done. But I don't see them putting Pirates out to pasture yet.

El Topo

Well considering how many people on Gaf claim WW isn't known internationally at all...

Eh. I was mostly arguing about the global icon moniker that people like to throw around carelessly. I'm just really, really happy that/if this movie is doing well.

Top Bottom