• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

They were pretty stupid and long but I've honestly had more fun watching those than a number of marvel movies and man of Steel/BvS in theaters

Very loyal fanbase too. Jackson held them hostage to complete watching the trilogy lol. Dear God the regression though. King Kong is a masterpiece compared to this trilogy. Dude needs to chill for a bit and figure some things out.

Jackson made his share of mistakes but I think the lack of pre-production time is what really screwed the movies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
The worst thing that Game of Thrones ever did is let their flop actors into movies

Pompeii
That wheelchair movie
Terminatyr
STOP em

Spooks_The_Greater_Good_film_poster.png

The worst thing that Game of Thrones ever did is let their flop actors into movies

Pompeii
That wheelchair movie
Terminatyr
STOP em

You forgot the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater, Silent Hill: Revelation. It had two GoT actors, so naturally, it was twice as bad as anything on that list.

Except Terminatyr. Man, fuck that movie.

I'm going 38$million for Warcraft opening week. The diehards will be there. The game itself still has a shitload of subscribers, they'll support it at least. After that it'll probably drop like a brick like BvS did. I'm thinking 550$ worldwide with China having a bigger haul than the US.

I'm going 38$million for Warcraft opening week. The diehards will be there. The game itself still has a shitload of subscribers, they'll support it at least. After that it'll probably drop like a brick like BvS did. I'm thinking 550$ worldwide with China having a bigger haul than the US.

It's been a while but last I checked the vast majority of their subscribers are from "pay as you play" subs in China. That pad their numbers to make them look better than they actually are. But there have been a lot of WoW players and those who played the old SRPGs so I think it'll do okay for its opening but I'll be shocked if it reaches blockbuster status. If it does it definitely won't be because of current or past players of the series. Hell, for a lot of them this will be the most "lore" they've been actually exposed to, assuming it's going to actually fit in with it and not viewed as an "alternate universe" or whatever.

Bizazedo

Care to spoil the ending?
Bobby Roberts linked an interview that does a good job, but basically...

Crippled millionaire gets a caretaker who, as far as I can see, isn't a caretaker, but more like a human emotional support person, who happens to be Emilia Clark. They fall in love, but he still decides to kill himself because he can't handle being crippled. Additionally, by dying, he leaves all his cash to her since she's uneducated with no prospects.

I'm not a fan of the ending but I also thought Sam claflins portrayal of a quadriplegic man was quite poor. Both his physical attributes to the way he moved his head and neck it was way to obvious that it was just a healthy man sitting in a chair. Even the chair he was in didn't really seem appropriate to his condition.

Even my GF who is a sucker for anything romantic didn't enjoy the movie very much.
I wasn't even going to get into that part as that was just Hollywood normal to me. As soon as I learned what the movie was, I knew they wouldn't make him look the part since it's a romance / sad movie.

But yeah, he did not look like someone I'd see on the short bus with me :).

I am still left with Mac & Me being a main example of my kind :(.

Branduil

Having seen Warcraft last saturday and the general reaction to it, It wouldn't surprise me t'll have good word of mouth and continue to do well. It has some pacing issues but it was a much better film then X-men apocalypse (imo) and the last two hobbit movies. (of course my my opinion)

I'm curious if the China market alone would making a sequel to Warcraft (I hope) worthwhile.

Really doubt a movie with an 18% RT rating is going to have good word of mouth(outside of maybe China).

Really doubt a movie with an 18% RT rating is going to have good word of mouth(outside of maybe China).

WoW fans might actually like it (I loved the Orcs and how I could visit the familiar places in Azeroth). I don't know how many there are left though. It feels that this movie should've been made 5 years ago.

It was still a poorly edited mess. That ending left a bitter taste, even though it was decently fun.

PSqueak

Banned
Zootopia has been bumped off the top 10, nooooo!

But it finally made it past the billion! yeeeeeeees! Happy dance, yaysies!~

GhaleonEB

Zootopia has been bumped off the top 10, nooooo!

But it finally made it past the billion! yeeeeeeees! Happy dance, yaysies!~

The timing is kind of perfect. It lands on video tomorrow - talk about just squeaking over the line.

I'm assuming the home release is staggered as well, since it's still doing good business in Japan, but I imagine that will pretty much chop the US run.

this_guy

How much did Civil War end up making in China? It's amazing that nothing else has come close to Furious 7's China take.

kswiston

so whats the most billion dollars movies that one studio has had in 1 year?

Universal had 3 last year.

Everything in the top 10 increased with the weekend actuals except the Nice Guys whichwas slightly down.

Alice was up over $600k and X-Men over $500k from the estimates. Must have been a better than expected Sunday at the movies.

Busty

Banned
Analysts are expecting $100-150M for Warcrafts 5-day opening in China according to Deadline.

And so begins the age of the 'China franchise' where by the Chinese market is begin to support films that don't hit in the West become hits in the East.

First up was Pacific Rim and I imagine that we'll get some kind of cheaper (??) to Warcraft i time too despite the grosses in the West no justifying it. It's no coincidence that both of these films are from Legendary which is now owned by the Chinese.

I also expect this to signal an onslaught of big budget fantasy films from the studios as they try to capitalise on China's love of the genre.

And so begins the age of the 'China franchise' where by the Chinese market is begin to support films that don't hit in the West become hits in the East.

First up was Pacific Rim and I imagine that we'll get some kind of cheaper (??) to Warcraft i time too despite the grosses in the West no justifying it. It's no coincidence that both of these films are from Legendary which is now owned by the Chinese.

I also expect this to signal an onslaught of big budget fantasy films from the studios as they try to capitalise on China's love of the genre.

On the one hand, this means more fantasy films.

On the other, this probably means they'll all be ass-garbage and only make bank cause they're part of a popular franchise.

Don't really know how to feel yet.

Busty

Banned
Let there be a decent Dragonlance movie, please!

This might motivate WB to get round to making that Dragonriders Of Pern game they've been talking about. Will that do?

It has dragons.

I am not sure about the number of lances in it though.

Failing that they are moving ahead with a Dungeons & Dragons film,

On the one hand, this means more fantasy films.

On the other, this probably means they'll all be ass-garbage and only make bank cause they're part of a popular franchise.

Don't really know how to feel yet.

True. I have a feeling that IPs that China is familiar with, perhaps game franchises, could become more sought after in the near future.

As I've said before I heard a rumour that a big studio is nearing a deal to make a live action League Of Legends film.

I can see more of those sorts of deals being made in future.

This might motivate WB to get round to making that Dragonriders Of Pern game they've been talking about. Will that do?

It has dragons.

I am not sure about the number of lances in it though.

Failing that they are moving ahead with a Dungeons & Dragons film,

Not good enough!

True. I have a feeling that IPs that China is familiar with, perhaps game franchises, could become more sought after in the near future.

As I've said before I heard a rumour that a big studio is nearing a deal to make a live action League Of Legends film.

I can see more of those sorts of deals being made in future.

Not exactly fantasy, but I can see an Overwatch animated movie. And that would be really cool.

I have never heard of this Me Before You movie. So I checked out the trailer. Tywin Lannister is the father?! Is this movie produced by a GoT fanboy?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Saw "Me Before You" with the girlfriend on Friday. Decent film, though she didn't like as much as per usual they left out a bunch of stuff that was in the book, according to her.

Kusagari

A live action League of Legends sounds atrocious.

Make these things animated. China has already shown they'll attend animated movies.

Busty

Banned
A live action League of Legends sounds atrocious.

The only exposure I get to 'LOL' (urgh) is through listening to the Giant Bombcast, I wasn't even aware that the game has any lore/story to exploit for a film.

Doing a little research I discovered that it kinda, sort of, does.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Pompeii
That wheelchair movie
Terminatyr
STOP em

I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones but Emilia Clarke is adorable so she can pop up in as many films as she likes, as far as I'm concerned.

kswiston

Furious 7 will probably keep the first day record (Wednesday for Warcraft vs Sunday for F7 in China), and Warcraft will most likely have much worse legs. However, $200M+ for Warcraft is looking extremely likely there.

What was F7's record? $7mil or so?

Furious 7 was ¥52.4M

It might have made more in $USD though, since the exchange rates are a bit lower now.

kswiston

Including midnight Warcraft managed about $23M in first day presales in China. First day should be in the $40-50M range (including the $8M midnight).

iammeiam

Spooks?

Well I'm assuming this isn't an American film, well hoping.

TIL there's a Spooks movie. And not American; British show that was retitled MI-5 for US release. Which I mostly remember for having a surprising character death early in its run.

tomtom94

TIL there's a Spooks movie. And not American; British show that was retitled MI-5 for US release. Which I mostly remember for having a surprising character death early in its run.

There is indeed a Spooks movie. It is extremely average. Kit Harrington does not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom