• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinderella did have some amazing costumes. I've actually got some custom made versions of the prince charming outfits and they're spectacular. I'm still well on board the keep GOT characters out of my movies band wagon though.

I'll say 1:5

I'm thinking that Warcraft could finish around $50M domestic

$50M sounds pretty accurate for the US but I'm thinking international could go higher than 250. If china alone is looking at 200+ and it's already at $70M international with more markets to open in.

I'll say a little over 50 domestic and 350-400WW. Of course I'm just pulling those numbers out of my ass.

kswiston

Cinderella did have some amazing costumes. I've actually got some custom made versions of the prince charming outfits and they're spectacular. I'm still well on board the keep GOT characters out of my movies band wagon though.

$50M sounds pretty accurate for the US but I'm thinking international could go higher than 250. If china alone is looking at 200+ and it's already at $70M international with more markets to open in.

I'll say a little over 50 domestic and 350-400WW. Of course I'm just pulling those numbers out of my ass.

I misread Duckrolls post and thought it was domestic to China for some reason.

If China is $200M, international will at least be $350M. Possibly higher if the rest of Asia and/or Latin America is strong.

Could be closer to 1:8

I am expecting the international total to top 85% of the worldwide total.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Mother of Christ, Disney marketing machine in full rev for Finding Dory

There's like 4 different commercials playing on almost any channel I skip to on TV

ESPN has the regular + infographic one like 14,400 minutes, 240 hours, 10 days till Finding Dory arrives

You have the ad spots changing up

I love the seal one the most, "Get off, off, off, off, off, off"
Second one I enjoy is the countdown joke "Here we go, and Wait!... Here we go, Wait? (annoyed)..."

This movie I thought it wasn't really needed, but those ads now make me want to see it badly
Well done Disney

Also some some environment scenes looked very uncanny
Like the seals scene, the water/rock seals were laying on just looked too good.

I'm guessing 150+mil easily for Finding Dory

kswiston

I am mostly interested to see how Pixar updates they environments and animation in Dory since Finding Nemo shows its age after 13 years.

I am expecting the international total to top 85% of the worldwide total.

I wonder if that sort of a situation will end up adding some curiosity to the film's appeal that otherwise wouldn't be there. Depends on how strongly media/marketing hammers that worldwide number, but I could see people like "what is it about this movie that's causing it to blow up everywhere but here?"

GraveRobberX

I am mostly interested to see how Pixar updates they environments and animation in Dory since Finding Nemo shows its age after 13 years.

I think this trailer really shows it off

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJA-VLpiCo

You can tell Pixar using that tech from The Good Dinosaur environmental wise
The textures look real good, it still has that Pixar cartoony feel but surrounding environmental and placement is fucking surreal

GraveRobberX

I wonder if that sort of a situation will end up adding some curiosity to the film's appeal that otherwise wouldn't be there. Depends on how strongly media/marketing hammers that worldwide number, but I could see people like "what is it about this movie that's causing it to blow up everywhere but here?"

Well the narrative over here will be a little to late to ride in on the hype
When Warcraft trailer leaked through Blizzcon, you heard some of the hardcore go, Oh great its like Avatar
The had a disgust kind of tone

Most of my family is like hey your gaming movie is coming, those big green monster dudes, like that LOTR but more Avatar...

So as anecdotal as it is, most don't see Warcraft as its own thing, they think of the movie of as a me too in the genre

Hoping why? Because of the word Spook, which means spy/government agent?

It isn't though, it looks like it's based off a BBC show.

Never heard Spook used as a term for spy, occasionally ghosts, but it's not used her because it's a offensive term for African Americans, similar to the N word.

a916

Mother of Christ, Disney marketing machine in full rev for Finding Dory

There's like 4 different commercials playing on almost any channel I skip to on TV

ESPN has the regular + infographic one like 14,400 minutes, 240 hours, 10 days till Finding Dory arrives

You have the ad spots changing up

I love the seal one the most, "Get off, off, off, off, off, off"
Second one I enjoy is the countdown joke "Here we go, and Wait!... Here we go, Wait? (annoyed)..."

This movie I thought it wasn't really needed, but those ads now make me want to see it badly
Well done Disney

Also some some environment scenes looked very uncanny
Like the seals scene, the water/rock seals were laying on just looked too good.

I'm guessing 150+mil easily for Finding Dory

They've never hit higher than $110.4M ever... average of $60M

How many franchises has China saved recently?

The Expendables
Pacific Rim
Terminator
Warcraft

All the stupid fun ones. I even liked Genisys' goofiness. It was a shitty Terminator movie, but it was a fun, mindless scifi-action flick.

Warcraft is the only movie I didn't enjoy that much.

Never heard Spook used as a term for spy, occasionally ghosts, but it's not used her because it's a offensive term for African Americans, similar to the N word.

Here as in America? That's where I'm from too and I've mainly heard it as ghost or government agent. Once or twice I've heard it said and seen someone go "Uh what did you say?" but at least from my own experience I've never heard it used like the N-word so I assumed it had gone back to its other meanings? Or does language.. work that way?

kswiston

I think that most of the Game of Thrones kids will have better careers in British TV and cinema than they will in Hollywood.

I'm sure that won't stop producers from trying to make Emilia Clarke happen for awhile.

Here as in America? That's where I'm from too and I've mainly heard it as ghost or government agent. Once or twice I've heard it said and seen someone go "Uh what did you say?" but at least from my own experience I've never heard it used like the N-word so I assumed it had gone back to its other meanings? Or does language.. work that way?

I've heard ghost but never government agent, that one is new for me, and have been called it as an offensive term before, and yeah, America. Needless to say I was super confused by that poster

kswiston

Deadline reported that Warcraft is playing on 67.5% of all screens in China (about 26k in total, almost double what a mega blockbuster gets domestically). A new record.

Legendary's parent company, Wanda, owns a 18% share of the screens in China, which I am sure helps.

Warcraft also opens in South Korea this weekend. I think that will be an interesting market as well. I am not sure if World of Warcraft was big there, but Warcraft 3 (largely for DOTA) was.

3N16MA

Banned
Just realized that this is only the second time that 5 films have crossed 300M domestic in the same year. Took only 4.5 months to get to that point.

kswiston

Just realized that this is only the second time that 5 films have crossed 300M domestic in the same year. Took only 4.5 months to get to that point.

Third time. 2012 had 5 (Avengers, TDKR, The Hobbit, Skyfall, and The Hunger Games) and last year had 6 over $300M domestic (TFA, Jurassic World, AoU, Minions, Furious 7, and Inside Out).

Dory is all but locked to pass $300M, so that will make 6 this year at the very least. Rogue One will probably make 7 for the record if something else doesn't get traction before December.

The Beard

Having seen Warcraft last saturday and the general reaction to it, It wouldn't surprise me t'll have good word of mouth and continue to do well. It has some pacing issues but it was a much better film then X-men apocalypse (imo) and the last two hobbit movies. (of course my my opinion)

I'm curious if the China market alone would making a sequel to Warcraft (I hope) worthwhile.

Good word of mouth? It's sitting at 18% on RT.

I'm sticking with my prediction from a few months ago. Around 20 mil domestic OW, and then it sinks like a boulder from there.

Son Of D

Third time. 2012 had 5 (Avengers, TDKR, The Hobbit, Skyfall, and The Hunger Games) and last year had 6 over $300M domestic (TFA, Jurassic World, AoU, Minions, Furious 7, and Inside Out).

Dory is all but locked to pass $300M, so that will make 6 this year at the very least. Rogue One will probably make 7 for the record if something else doesn't get traction before December.

I think Suicide Squad could hit $300m but it's going to need strong word of mouth I'd say.

kswiston

I think Suicide Squad could hit $300m but it's going to need strong word of mouth I'd say.

There are a few films that could conceivably hit $300M (Suicide Squad being one), but I think that Dory and Rogue One are the only two left this year that would be surprising if they fell under $300M domestic.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
There are a few films that could conceivably hit $300M (Suicide Squad being one), but I think that Dory and Rogue One are the only two left this year that would be surprising if they fell under $300M domestic.

Tarzan could get there. I believe

Having finally seen Zootopia tonight, that movie deserves every single penny that it got. Very well deserved, and one of the best things Disney has done in some time.

Having finally seen Zootopia tonight, that movie deserves every single penny that it got. Very well deserved, and one of the best things Disney has done in some time.

The best in some time imo. Jason Bateman as a conman fox was genius voice casting and the racial themes in there were implemented quite well. Very good animation too.

Between that and nice guys it's a damn good year for buddy cop stuff.

Just saw Zootopia today, in theaters lol. Amazing film. It was entertaining, interesting, and had a real message along with its artistry. It's the kind of film I'd recommend to everyone.

And apparently everyone else felt the same way.

Only cost me a buck fifty, too.

TheWraith

Well the narrative over here will be a little to late to ride in on the hype
When Warcraft trailer leaked through Blizzcon, you heard some of the hardcore go, Oh great its like Avatar
The had a disgust kind of tone

Most of my family is like hey your gaming movie is coming, those big green monster dudes, like that LOTR but more Avatar...

So as anecdotal as it is, most don't see Warcraft as its own thing, they think of the movie of as a me too in the genre

Sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

kswiston

First day estimate for Warcraft is around $45M. Second biggest day ever after Furious 7s first day. Presales are suggesting that the film will easily break $100M by Friday.

Seiniyta

nl9nwo1tb32x.png

Seems like a Warcraft sequel is more and more likely to happen.

I feel like at this point they would be crazy not to do a sequel (depending how the numbers finish up). This is a good chance to start a big franchise in the chinese market which just looks to be getting bigger and bigger. This movie has even been reviewed terribly and may end up pushing as much as 450-500 million worldwide.

Just think what they could do if they made a better received film (particularly with one of the more known and popular stories like arthas).

First day estimate for Warcraft is around $45M. Second biggest day ever after Furious 7s first day. Presales are suggesting that the film will easily break $100M by Friday.

Geez looks like Warcraft is going to be a monster in china. It's a fun time to watch the BO, the rise of China is massively changing the landscape for movies.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com posted their final weekend predictions. $33.5M for The Conjuring 2, $27M for Now You See Me 2, and $21M for Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom