• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woah, GOP considering running right-wing Keyes (form. Prez. candidate) against Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-sen04.html

It's him or some chick drug-czar that worked for the Bush administration...

State GOP narrows Senate hopefuls to 2

August 4, 2004

BY SCOTT FORNEK AND LYNN SWEET Staff Reporters

And then there were two.

But only one of them has the support of the most powerful Republican in Illinois.

Republicans searching for a U.S. Senate candidate to go up against Democrat Barack Obama narrowed their search Tuesday to two African Americans -- former White House deputy drug czar Andrea Grubb Barthwell and two-time presidential hopeful Alan Keyes.

The surprise announcement came late in the evening, after nearly seven hours of interviewing candidates and wrangling over their pluses and minuses.

Earlier in the day, a top aide to House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert told the Chicago Sun-Times that the Plano Republican likes Keyes for the spot.

"He would support Keyes, Alan Keyes for the Senate," Hastert spokesman John Feehery said, calling the former State Department official and radio and TV personality "a very smart person."

"He is very passionate about the issues. He is a great leader."

Keyes has not said he will seek the nomination but has discussed it with GOP leaders. His name first surfaced as a potential replacement for Jack Ryan on Monday afternoon in an online Sun-Times report. After a series of high-profile candidates flirted with running only to later drop out, some party insiders and journalists questioned the seriousness of a Keyes candidacy.

But at the Republican State Central Committee meeting Tuesday it was clear that panel members were serious about Keyes.

At one point, a heated debate was audible from behind the closed doors where the committee was meeting at the Union League Club in the Loop. A voice was heard yelling about Keyes.

"We don't quite have white smoke yet, but we had a very spirited discussion," state GOP Chairman Judy Baar Topinka said later, comparing their selection process to that of a pope.

"We've come down to two very, very good candidates," she said. "And we will meet tomorrow where we're going to call them back to participate with us as a group."

Keyes agreed to fly in from his home in Maryland to address the committee today. Barthwell was one of the 13 hopefuls who made their cases to the panel Tuesday, but she will get another chance today.

Some party insiders were surprised at the selection of Barthwell as a potential replacement for Ryan, who stepped down amid allegations he once took his wife to sex clubs. Barthwell has been the subject of a series of embarrassing revelations.

Republicans learned she contributed to Democrats and voted in Democratic primaries until 2001 when President Bush called her to ask her to serve as a deputy director at the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

And an internal probe found she "engaged in lewd and abusive behavior" by joking about an underling's sexual orientation.

"Are you f------ kidding me?" one GOP strategist close to the negotiations asked when told that Barthwell was in the top two.

Even more surprising to some was the ideological differences between Keyes and Barthwell. Barthwell has told the Sun-Times she supports abortion rights and opposes Bush's proposed amendment banning gay marriage.

Keyes is a staunch opponent of abortion and gay rights.

But Topinka insisted "they are not necessarily on the opposite ends of the political spectrum."

State Sen. Dave Syverson, a panel member from Rockford, conceded the two clearly differ.

"It shows the diversity of party and the diversity of the state central committee," Syverson said.

He insisted the committee did not choose the two because both are African Americans, like Obama.

If Keyes or Barthwell is chosen, it will be the first time in history the two major parties fielded black candidates in a major contest.

"It just turned out to be that way," Syverson said. "We don't look at color the way the Democrats do. We look at the candidate and where they stand on the issues and their ability to articulate the issues," he said.

State Sen. Kirk Dillard, a panel member from DuPage County, said he is undecided between the two, but argued both have pluses and minuses. He said Keyes' celebrity status and speaking ability could help overcome the fact that he lives in Maryland and has no real connection to Illinois.

Dillard said Keyes is convinced that the media glow Obama received for his keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention has elevated the race to a national contest.

"Since we're elevated to a national race, he believes so strongly that this is crucial for the future of America that he would be willing to come to Illinois and run this race against Barack Obama," Dillard said.

Dillard said Barthwell is hampered by her lack of political experience, but said "she also has a tremendous life story to tell," including overcoming addictions to alcohol, cocaine, prescription drugs and marijuana 20 years ago and rising to become a member of the Bush administration.

Hastert's aide, Feehery, said that residency will be no greater problem than it was for Hillary Clinton, who moved to New York so she could run for the U.S. Senate.

Aurora dairy owner Jim Oberweis tried to ease the committee's concerns about the commercials he aired in the primary attacking Bush's immigration reform proposal. But a source close to the talks said he hurt himself by demanding that he get commitments for financial resources and White House support.

I remember this Keyes guy, really impressed me back in '00, but the problem is he's too extreme, sometimes I wonder if he's really serious about what he says, or just moving the debate more conservative to have more room for compromise...

He's a great orator and master debater (and I give him props for throwing himself into a mosh pit during his run for the President), but are people going to take him seriously in Illinois (he's run for the Senate before in Maryland, his home state where he currently lives) if he's not from there...

I agree with him to a large extent on abortion, and think he can masterfully explain the "pro-life" position, but too bad he's really extreme on stuff like environment, education, healthcare, religion, and gay rights...

Pimpwerx

Why Keyes, b/c he's black? Obama seems cool. If he can actually make good policy, that will be even better. Keyes is a douchebag. I'm so not a fan. PEACE.

MaddenNFL64

The Republicans actually think that by just throwing a black guy into the mix, it'll make Obama's heat fade away?

Anyway, Keyes sucks.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I went to high school with Keyes' son, and shared a locker with him freshman year. Nice kid.

At this point, the GOP knows they're going to lose, and are scrambling for a sacrificial candidate. They can throw Keyes a bone so maybe he doesn't get arrested for breaking into primary debates in '08, plus they get to point to a token black man.

If Keyes runs and wins though, I'll shit my pants.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Lucky Forward said:
Yeah, there is that…but it didn’t stop Hillary.

switching residence for an election is very common and hardly is ever viewed seriously as an issue... despite common sense likely disagreeing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Keyes is very much a douchebag and a pseudointellectual twat. I realized just how much when he openly supported Jerry Falwell during the whole 10 Commandments Monument ordeal and claimed that the first amendment actually means states have the right to establish an official religion. What-the-fuck.

Obama is going to run over this state. The republicans shouldn't even waste the resources in Illinois. There is ONE, that's right ONE, Republican in Illinois government who was elected in a state-wide election.

Lucky Forward said:
Yeah, there is that…but it didn’t stop Hillary.

True. Then again, here's what Keyes thought of carpetbagging in 2000 when asked by Pat Buchanan if he'd consider running for Senate in New York:

"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it."

Personally, I don't think there's a real problem with this. Voters can weigh the status of a candidate's residency for themselves. The hypocrisy here is amusing, however.

Alcibiades

Mandark said:
I went to high school with Keyes' son, and shared a locker with him freshman year. Nice kid.

At this point, the GOP knows they're going to lose, and are scrambling for a sacrificial candidate. They can throw Keyes a bone so maybe he doesn't get arrested for breaking into primary debates in '08, plus they get to point to a token black man.

If Keyes runs and wins though, I'll shit my pants.

you gotta be kidding me dude, what city did you live in?

was he all Christian and not looking at girls in certain ways and stuff?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Keyes is....crazy! Like a shithouse rat. I heartily endorse this nomination as I believe it feeds the Spectacle in a most entertaining manner.

Xenon

Yeah Obamas pretty much locked. Jack Ryan may have had a chance but his party disserted him in wake of the sex scandal with Jerry Ryan(7of9) Shit, if she was my wife I'd want people to see me doing her too.

Xenon said:
Yeah Obamas pretty much locked. Jack Ryan may have had a chance but his party disserted him in wake of the sex scandal with Jerry Ryan(7of9) Shit, if she was my wife I'd want people to see me doing her too.

I thought Obama was beating the crap out of Ryan even before the sex scandal. Now all he can do is acidently leak and then sell his own sex tape with Jeri.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
efralope: I live in Please Don't Stalk Me, Maryland and went to the high school of the stars (and Matt Drudge). He was just a nice, quiet kid. The school paper did a little article about how his dad had run for president that year and the son said he wasn't going to pursue politics and it was all very tasteful, considering it was a school in a liberal area and Keyes is a nutball on the other side. I didn't hang out with him, so I don't really have any stories other than him leaving an Afro-American hair product pamphlet in our locker at the end of the year.

reggie: Well, I don't think the Illinois Senate race will be getting any national GOP money, so it's no big problem. And especially during a presidential year, it's good to run a candidate to increase turnout. There are probably a bunch of state representatives depending on some coattails.

Ran across this at Over/Spun; it's a capture from Wednesday's Crossfire.

Keyes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom