• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Rock to run for Senate

Bulbasaur

Banned
The head of a major Super PAC aligned with Senate GOP leadership encouraged performer Kid Rock to run for Senate against Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

The comments from Steven Law in an interview Friday on C-SPAN's "Newsmakers" program were surprising. But Law insisted he was quite serious, saying his group would "be actually very interested" in a Kid Rock candidacy.

Kid Rock has made some moves to look at the race, including setting up a campaign website and creating what he said is a nonprofit group to promote voter registration. He posted a statement on his website on July 26 saying he would announce a decision about the race in six weeks or so.
Law pointed to a recent poll in which the entertainer trails Stabenow by eight points, saying it's "not a bad place to start out."

Law said he hadn't spoken with Kid Rock. But he said that despite the entertainer's redneck image, "the truth of the matter is that he's done a lot in his home state philanthropically, he's a pretty smart guy, he thinks about policy, and he's a shrewd businessman." Law is a former chief of staff to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and runs a political action committee dedicated to protecting and bolstering the Senate GOP majority. In next year's midterms, Republicans will have to protect two endangered incumbents while playing offense against 10 Democratic Senate incumbents in states won by President Donald Trump. Stabenow is one of those, but she will be tough to beat. Several other Republicans have announced or are considering race, but in Kid Rock Republicans would have a well-known and attention-grabbing candidate.
"He hasn't stayed this long in the business that he's been in by actually living the life that he looks like he lives when he's on stage. And so I certainly wouldn't count him out. We'd be pretty interested in his candidacy," Law said. "So if you're watching, Kid, we hope you run."

In response, Lauren Passalacqua, communications director for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, said, "We're not surprised Republicans are disappointed with their options in Michigan, but we don't think Kid Rock will help."

Possibly the greatest speech ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3zFblpM5s

Zen Aku

When you announce a Senate candidate as Kid "motherfuckin" Rock then you know you're not going to be taken seriously.

Also in gaming OP? Come on.

Savitar

Wasn't that the Sega game where the character got hats giving hims special abilities.

Strange enough I don't remember him looking like hillbilly trash.

Link

The Autumn Wind
After Trump, the GOP realizes it doesn't matter what completely unqualified dumbass they run, their moronic base will still vote for them since they have an R next to their name.

For a second I thought the son of Chuck Rock was getting into politics. Although he probably would have more progressive beliefs than many politicians.

When you announce a Senate candidate as Kid "motherfuckin" Rock then you know you're not going to be taken seriously.

You are aware of who is currently POTUS, yes? There is no longer a bar for "being taken seriously".

I didn't know who this Kid Rock fella was, so a quick Google turned out this:
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/kid_rocks_first_campaign_speech_is_painful_cringeworthy
He definitely crosses the line on the subject of single mothers, stating that we should "put their goddamned asses to work" while we "lock up all these women, who can’t even take care of themselves."
Yep, sounds like a GOP politician all right.

MarionCB

Trump will pass out of the US body politic eventually, like a kidney stone, but the brain of that body, the electorate, is still diseased and will continue to make brain-dead decisions like the zombie it is. So yeah, of course we'll see Kid Rock as VP with The Rock as President because why the fuck not.

I hate this current trend in our politics. They prey on our vulnerable and politically ignorant demographics, which makes a mess of everything for those that actually have to work with them.

Mathieran

Banned
Republicans would be the funniest people on the planet if their policies weren't so destructive.

When a liberal celebrity runs for office they're all like "elitist! He/she is out of touch with the average American. Stick to entertainment!"

When a conservative celebrity runs for office they're like "He/she is a good businessman. They understand American values. They could be pretty good at this."

It's kinda hilarious.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thread title is WAY off from the actual content of the article.

They are encouraging him to run. He hasn't decided.

Sulik2

Also in gaming OP? Come on.

Donald Trump is the president of the USA. You have to take everyone serious in this era. People are too stupid in how they vote.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Sad thing is, if he runs I'm pretty damn confident he's going to win as well.

I honestly don't see where the votes come from in Michigan to keep Stabenow, who is a great senator, in office. He's going to wall off the white vote immediately in all but maybe two counties. Like I actually think he wins in a landslide. It's terrible.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I hate this current trend in our politics. They prey on our vulnerable and politically ignorant demographics, which makes a mess of everything for those that actually have to work with them.
And they do it after having spent decades making them poor and vulnerable. It's not an accident that jobs and education abandoned the rural areas most likely to vote Republican.

Sad thing is, if he runs I'm pretty damn confident he's going to win as well.

I honestly don't see where the votes come from in Michigan to keep Stabenow, who is a great senator, in office. He's going to wall off the white vote immediately in all but maybe two counties. Like I actually think he wins in a landslide. It's terrible.
Democrats should absolutely take him seriously, not celebrate. Kid Rock can definitely win but Stabenow is not completely vilnerable either.

Top Bottom