• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman jumps from car after seeing spider, causes crash-leaves her kid in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Woman jumps from car after seeing spider, causes crash

The Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department is investigating a car crash involving a school bus and a "driverless" vehicle near Syracuse, Indiana, that left a 9-year-old boy injured.

The department says that the boy’s 35-year-old mother, Angela Kipp of Syracuse, had been backing the car out of her driveway on Sept. 18 when she discovered a spider on her shoulder and jumped out of the car while it was in reverse.

According to authorities, the boy climbed into the driver's seat as the car was in reverse and attempted to step on the brake but instead hit the gas, sending the Dodge Avenger into a passing Wawasee Corporation School bus. The boy was found lying outside the Dodge Avenger when police arrived.

635784234548948294-635784132287792350-photo-courtesy-of-kosciusko-county-sheriffs-department.jpg

Savitar

On the bright side the kid will probably get some nice stuff to make up for this.

Hahahahaha, no he won't.

Africanus

This was referenced in a separate thread.

I'll simply restate that I'm more surprised that the son was able to think that quickly that he has to do something and attempt to save the day (unfortunately he stepped on the gas) than I am at the woman freaking out at the spider (an irrational fear).

It makes me believe this may not be the first time his mother became frightened in such an extreme manner.

I feel like there should be a "Spider Camp" for adults who are deathly afraid of spiders. Three weeks and they come back with their own puppet tarantula and a new outlook on life.

edit: I meant to type "pet tarantula" but I guess that works too.

A friend of mine is deathly afraid of wasps and bees. Once a wasp flew into the car while my friend was sitting in back middle seat between two other people. We were going pretty fast down the highway at the time and he freaked out, opened the door and tried to climb over then shove the guy sitting by the door out.

He's done similar things on crowed balconies.

Kangi

The kid jumped into the driver's seat like this was just another day in the life. One heck of a mother.

This reminds me of the time my family and I were in a car accident, and the woman that slammed into us immediately got out of the car to freak out. While her car rolled down toward the shopping center, baby still inside. Thankfully, there was a well-placed lamppost that stopped it before the baby went on an adventure down the hill and into the parking lot.

akira28

A friend of mine is deathly afraid of wasps and bees. Once a wasp flew into the car while my friend was sitting in back middle seat between two other people. We were going pretty fast down the highway at the time and he freaked out, opened the door and tried to climb over then shove the guy sitting by the door out.

He's done similar things on crowed balconies.

why the fuck were your windows open?
And why the fuck were you driving slowly enough that a wasp could fly into your window?

Acerac

Banned
why the fuck were your windows open?
And why the fuck were you driving slowly enough that a wasp could fly into your window?

What's wrong with driving with your windows open?

Perhaps the weather was nice and traffic was momentarily backed up? Is this an entirely unrealistic scenario to you?

Watevaman

This is why people that easily freak (at anything, not just bugs) are people that I do not enjoy being a passenger in a vehicle with. My gf freaks out over bees while driving and I'm glad it hasn't gotten to the point where the car has veered into another car.

ClidAJ.gif

I thought this thread would finally explain this gif, but the story is even worse. Jumping from a car with your son still in it? Jebus.

Dennis

Banned
ClidAJ.gif

I thought this thread would finally explain this gif, but the story is even worse. Jumping from a car with your son still in it? Jebus.

Please tell me she got charged. That car went straight into ongoing traffic and she is just walking like she don't give a shit.

Mr-Joker

Banned
She lucky that her kid is okay but he might be emotionally scarred that his mother abandon him.

ClidAJ.gif

What the story behind that gif?

zeemumu

The twist is she saved it from being in a car wreck!

Nah, the twist is that the spider was in on it. It was an insurance scam to murder her child and collect the insurance money. In return, the spider would get 15% of the cash.

According to authorities, the boy climbed into the driver's seat as the car was in reverse and attempted to step on the brake but instead hit the gas, sending the Dodge Avenger into a passing Wawasee Corporation School bus. The boy was found lying outside the Dodge Avenger when police arrived.

This is like a real life "cut the red wire or the blue wire" situation.

Calvero

Banned
This was referenced in a separate thread.

I'll simply restate that I'm more surprised that the son was able to think that quickly that he has to do something and attempt to save the day (unfortunately he stepped on the gas) than I am at the woman freaking out at the spider (an irrational fear).

It makes me believe this may not be the first time his mother became frightened in such an extreme manner.

Yep! Good on the kid for his quick thinking and knowing what to do.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I had an 05 mazda 3 that gets infested with spiders every fucking summer. Trust me it's horrifying driving around and then feeling a tingle on your neck.

TIME

FUCKING

FREEZES

But it isn't horrible enough to do what that lady did. You fucking learn how to steel your nerves and you become a god among spiders. Nothing quite like feeling a spider crawl along your neck while going 60 down the high way.

UberTag

This story reminds me of the time I was in a haunted house with my mother when I was 5 or 6. Some guy jumped out of the shadows with a phony chainsaw that just made sound effects. She pushed me aside and immediately ran out of the place screaming for her life. We still laugh about it to this day.

Ishida

Banned
Poor kid. Hope he recovers soon.

Even if he failed to step on the break, what a fucking badass kid taking matters into his own hands even during such a situation of panic.

Obviously what she did was beyond stupid but damn... if I found a spider crawling on my shoulder I would probably shit and pee at the same time from fear.

nitewulf

phobias aren't exactly logical, what she did was totally instinctive...you can have irrational fear of anything. not defending her but it's not like she was thinking about it, she panicked.

orochi91

phobias aren't exactly logical, what she did was totally instinctive...you can have irrational fear of anything. not defending her but it's not like she was thinking about it, she panicked.

Agreed.

I can't really blame her for this one.

Fear gets the best of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom