• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman lost in wilderness; managed to pit a wolf against a bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontovik

Banned
What's the best way to fend off a wolf that's stalking you? Bait it with a bear cub, of course.

It sounds incredible, but that's exactly what Joanne Barnaby did when she got into a terrifying situation while out picking morel mushrooms near Fort Smith, N.W.T., last Friday.

Barnaby and her friend Tammy Caudron headed out to an area burned by wildfires to spend an hour or two searching for the elusive morels. They soon became separated, leaving Barnaby alone with her loyal dog, Joey.

"I heard this growl behind me. There was a long, tall, very, very skinny wolf. A black wolf. And his legs were spread and his hair was standing, and he was growling, and baring his teeth."

Joey charged the animal, but the wolf stood its ground.

The wolf started pacing back and forth in the direction of the truck. Barnaby says it was forcing her to go farther east, away from the highway.

"It took me a while to realize that he knew what he was doing. He was trying to wear me down. He was trying to separate Joey and I," she says.

"I think he was weak. He didn't look healthy. He looked old to me ... I don't think he wanted to take us both on."

What followed was a 12-hour hunt. The wolf continued to pursue Barnaby and Joey, as they were pushed farther from her truck.

At about 4:30 a.m., Barnaby heard a loud noise. She quickly recognized it as a mother bear. Listening closely, trying to drown out the buzz of mosquitoes, sure enough she heard a cub respond from far away in the distance. The two bears had been separated.

"I realized that there was a chance that the mother bear would tackle the wolf if she felt that the wolf was a threat," Barnaby explains.

"So I made the choice of walking towards the cub."

It worked. After walking about 20 minutes, Barnaby's dangerous plan paid off.

"I heard this big crashing behind me and realized that the mama bear had attacked the wolf, or maybe the other way around, I don't know, but they were fighting and I could hear the wolf yelping and I could hear the mama bear growling and I could hear all this crashing and I just took off!"

Finally free of the wolf, Barnaby and Joey both "perked right up" when they saw a lake.

"I had brought one can of beer with me. Silly choice," she laughs. "That little can of beer ended up saving my life"

She drank can after can of water and finally took a break.

When the pair finally climbed onto the highway Saturday morning, Barnaby saw vehicles parked on the road about a kilometre away.

"I was like, 'OK, we're good. We're really good.'"

A police truck, carrying a local RCMP officer and a Parks Canada worker, drove to Barnaby and Joey.

"They both jumped out of the truck and we had big hugs, and of course they were full of questions, but they didn't have any bug spray for me! I couldn't believe it!" she laughs.

Barnaby is still kicking herself for not bringing her gun into the bush, calling it a "huge mistake."

"Don't do what I did. Don't go without your gun," she says. "Anything can happen.

"If I had had that gun, it would've been a very short situation."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wolf-bear-bait-joanne-barnaby-nwt-1.3636604

Fascinating story;

She managed to survive in the wilderness for several hours while being stalked by a wolf, chose to confront a bear cub in order to provoke the mother bear, manages to escape. Finds a water source, drinks her last can of beer and kept herself hydrated while looking for rescue. Sounds like the plot for a suspense movie.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wow, she was ready to sacrifice a baby bear to save her own skin?

I can't even

You cant even what? Understand what a person does to survive?

Edit: if this is sarcasm then I apologise, I honestly cant tell anymore on the internet

Tagyhag

That's an insane story, glad she and her dog made it out ok.

I feel for the starving wolf but such is nature, at least the mother bear and her cub will have something to eat.

Edit: I also didn't know that the wolves were smart enough to steer you away from civilization.

I'm not 100% sure how the wolf was able to keep her away from her truck for 12 hours. Was she in visual distance from the truck at any point? I'm a little unclear on the details.

Archer

wamberz1

giphy.gif

ThisOne

The area was burned by wildfires and the wolf looked old and skinny. He could be separated or ejected from his pack, he clearly was desperate enough to attack an human alone.
A wolf that's old and skinny isn't going to pester a full grown human and a dog for 12 hours. I think it's completely made up.

Cool story if true, though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A wolf that's old and skinny isn't going to pester a full grown human and a dog for 12 hours. I think it's completely made up.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about malnourished wolves. I'm an expert.

ThisOne

I don't think the hunting habits of wolves fall under common sense.
Wolves are smart animals. Common sense or not, I just find it hard to believe that a wolf would behave like this. It continued to follow her after she heard a bear near her? The wolf didn't hear the bear or what?
I don't know how much the rest of you know about malnourished wolves. I'm an expert.
Cool meme

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Smells like bullshit to me. Lady got lost in the woods, made up a story to make it sound more exciting.

cameron

And even if the old/skinny lone wolf was tracking the lady and her dog from afar for 12 hours, the wolf is not going to suddenly change tactics and take on an adult bear.

Boring nature lady makes up unverifiable survivor story.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Wolves are smart animals. Common sense or not, I just find it hard to believe that a wolf would behave like this. It continued to follow her after she heard a bear near her? The roof didn't hear the bear or what?

They were outside. Doubt there even was a roof.

sorry

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And even if the old/skinny lone wolf was tracking the lady and her dog from afar for 12 hours, the wolf is not going to suddenly change tactics and take on an adult bear.

Boring nature lady makes up unverifiable survivor story.

It didn't "take it on" - it got trapped and outsmarted by a cunning Canuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom