• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
Violent protests have shown to have accomplished nothing.

We need massive peaceful protests if anything's ever gonna change.

Also.

Fuck that cop and everyone that stands behind him.

When you have loud peaceful protests you get white people angry because they were inconvenienced or because their hypothetical grandmother could have died on the way to the hospital due to being held up by the disruption.

When you have "respectful" peaceful protests they pretend you are part of the scenery, because you don't really qualify as equals in their eyes, so they don't really care if you're killed, or give a shit about your cause.

It's a no-win situation. I don't favor violent protests but these people will not stop murdering us if we keep with our current tactics.

Peaceful protests sounding good doesn't mean violent protests are ineffective. Time and again, history has shown there needs to be violence or a threat of it for some things to actually move forward.
Peaceful protesting assumes a conversation can in the end move a dominant majority's positions.

Hell, the US wouldn't exist without violent political protesting.

Patryn

Back in the beginning of the Black Lives Matter campaign, a bunch of activists dragged barrels full of concrete onto a major freeway in Boston and blocked traffic.

At the time, I thought they were crazy and just inconveniencing random people and turning public opinion against their very cause.

Then pretty much nobody got punished for the last round of shootings and yesterday happened and I finally understand.

I have no comprehension of how bad it must be to be black in the United States and have to deal with all this shit. Like, I thought I knew it was bad, but the sheer enormity of how bad it is is really beginning to sink in. It's sad that I'm becoming resigned to the idea that the police pretty much have carte blanche to kill any black man they wish, and the only thing that'll happen is that Republicans will rush out and defend the cops and pass a Blue Lives Matter bill because of course it's the police that need protecting.

Fuck, I'm close to the point that I'm so infuriated that I'd block a goddamn freeway because what the fuck else can you do? Nothing ever fucking changes so you rage against the heavens.

Like, seriously, dark days are coming and I don't think I can blame people for what's going to come.

Dahaka

Peaceful protests sounding good doesn't mean violent protests are ineffective. Time and again, history has shown there needs to be violence or a threat of it for some things to actually move forward.
Peaceful protesting assumes a conversation can in the end move a dominant majority's positions.

Hell, the US wouldn't exist without violent political protesting.

So who's the target for this violence?

SPCTRE

I can't imagine how disheartening this must feel if you're black and living in the US - these things keep happening and nothing changes.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't understand the policeman's justification. Why does it need several shots to hinder someone from supposedly drawing his gun? If the officer points a gun at him, he could definitely react before the driver could get to shoot him, and either way, one bullet should certainly be sufficient to stop someone from shooting his gun. What kind of wild west behaviour is that? And that's just taking the police's story by face value. I'm amazed the girlfriend made this video, I would certainly not have been able to do that (and not just because my phone is not capable of recording anything let alone access the internet), if it was my wife in the other seat, I could only be at her side and possibly moan her loss (though during the recording, he was still alive). She was really strong to record that. Man, what a fucked up police action.

Patryn

Just seen on CNN how they are saying because the cop was unraveled it should stop the notion that cops are killing blacks on purpose. Sadly this will be old news until he next one. They will ALWAYS find an excuse for the cop.

Does it matter if it was on purpose or not? There is a clear identifiable trend of police officers shooting and killing black men.

If instead of it being on purpose it's because all these officers are becoming unraveled simply being around a black male, then they really need to find an effective way to weed out any person who simply can't be around a category of the public that they will inevitably have to deal with.

Like, seriously, that's supposed to make things better? Claiming that cops simply cannot deal with a fairly large segment of the population without losing control?

Tosyn_88

One would assume that given the present political and public relation climate involving afro Americans and police, that there would be some sort of cool down period for the police departments but instead one continues to hear of these cases again and again. I think the police are not helping solve this issue because sooner or later I can imagine someone forming an armed resistance group and you get a mini civil war in your neighbourhoods where police aren't welcomed. Do people really want to live in a place where armed militia and the police are duking it out ? I think people should really begin to find practical solutions to avoid this type of incident becoming the norm because if history is anything to go by, an armed militia isn't far off and that will not end well for everybody

Ferguson. 2014. Proved the power of citizen journalists if nothing else, and you could argue a lot more.

LA Riots. 1992. Impacted LA police force. Sparked action by the DOJ.

Stonewall. 1969. Brought widespread attention, sparked a civil rights movement.

Chicago. 1968. America stood up. Widespread change.

Detroit. 1967.

Watts. 1965.

All the way back to the beginnings of US history.

Faith

Back in the beginning of the Black Lives Matter campaign, a bunch of activists dragged barrels full of concrete onto a major freeway in Boston and blocked traffic.

At the time, I thought they were crazy and just inconveniencing random people and turning public opinion against their very cause.

Then pretty much nobody got punished for the last round of shootings and yesterday happened and I finally understand.

I have no comprehension of how bad it must be to be black in the United States and have to deal with all this shit. Like, I thought I knew it was bad, but the sheer enormity of how bad it is is really beginning to sink in. It's sad that I'm becoming resigned to the idea that the police pretty much have carte blanche to kill any black man they wish, and the only thing that'll happen is that Republicans will rush out and defend the cops and pass a Blue Lives Matter bill because of course it's the police that need protecting.

Fuck, I'm close to the point that I'm so infuriated that I'd block a goddamn freeway because what the fuck else can you do? Nothing ever fucking changes so you rage against the heavens.

Like, seriously, dark days are coming and I don't think I can blame people for what's going to come.
Great post.

Ethelwulf

Change doesn't happen until people are united.

Policing has to change. Police training has to change. Police reliance on guns has to change. Let's take these straight up murders off the table - how many other officer-involved shooting situations could have been solved as easily with a taser or another non-lethal? I'm sick. I'm sick over this, over everyone. I'm sick over the next one and the next.

So who's the target for this violence?
You say this like :
- my post was calling for violence when I was only answering the fantasy that violence never works.
- violence is always premeditated and coordinated, when more often than not it's just a reaction to show the camel's back has been broken.

I'm not calling for violence, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, and I'd never tell people that it is less effective than peaceful protesting.

Juicy Bob

It's fucking terrifying.

Like, if you are African American, what the fuck are you supposed to do? How do you possibly know what the right thing is to do in these situations to avoid either getting arrested or fucking shot?

Jesus Christ.

U2NUMB

Woke up today and was on my way to work listening to what happened.. I work in this town.. WTF is happening.

Just watching that video makes me despair.

American police as a generalisation are a utter disgrace and shambles.

I can't even contemplate what the lady and the child are going through. Fuck the officer who shot him.

I don't really see vandalising property being a possible future scenario but one where small armed groups of minorities wont welcome police in their neighbourhoods.

Isn't this what is already happening in Chicago and Baltimore with a massive increase of murders as police keep away ?

LosDaddie

Banned

Also.

Ferguson. 2014. Proved the power of citizen journalists if nothing else, and you could argue a lot more.

LA Riots. 1992. Impacted LA police force. Sparked action by the DOJ.

Stonewall. 1969. Brought widespread attention, sparked a civil rights movement.

Chicago. 1968. America stood up. Widespread change.

Detroit. 1967.

Watts. 1965.

All the way back to the beginnings of US history.

Where would these violent protests take place, and who would the violence be directed towards?

Ethelwulf

Also.

577979_504519309587796_1522618042_n.jpg

Condom

Horrible stuff, seems like officers shoot at any sight of a firearm which is a terrible procedure when you live in a country where having a firearm is normal.

mid83

Excellent comment. I feel the same.

I've always given police the benefit of the doubt, but also when it's clear the police were in the wrong I have no issues with expressing that. I have several family members who are LEOs, all of them are kind people, so I've always kept that in mind when I hear the negative characterization of police. BLM somewhat bothered me at first, but the last couple years have really changed my mind.

It's pretty striking how entire groups of people continue to justify these shootings even when the evidence is clear the cop was in the wrong. I mean with the Baton Rouge shooting I've seen people essentially say he was a punk with a criminal history so he deserved it. Disgusting awful stuff. Watching an analyst trying to come up with a way to justify last night's shooting in Minn. is disgusting. I see the reason behind BLM and I can understand why people feel things like violent protests are necessary.

It's also on the list of many reasons why I feel more politically isolated on a daily basis. I believe in limited government (not the place for an argument...PM me if you want to yell at me for this) but seeing Republicans prop up Trump and continue to defend these police officers no matter what makes me ashamed to have called myself a Republican.

Also to note on my family members who are police officers, two of them have privately expressed their concerns with excessive force and both said your career is done if you speak out or even attempt to get away from the company line in relation to these shootings. Many cops are disgusted with these things but the system prevents the opportunity for change as the leadership, police unions and DA's continuing to allow police officers get off with no consequences.

Anticol

Banned
A Massive peaceful protest will do nothing, If you and your people where the ones oppressed for decades how would you react? Doing a peaceful silent protest in front of the governor house for 24 hours to get some media exposure and then wait for the next incident to do the same exact thing? Really?

ColdPizza

Banned
These cops are so fearful for their lives they're not properly gauging what the fuck is happening. They're way too jumpy.

Policing has to change. Police training has to change. Police reliance on guns has to change. Let's take these straight up murders off the table - how many other officer-involved shooting situations could have been solved as easily with a taser or another non-lethal? I'm sick. I'm sick over this, over everyone. I'm sick over the next one and the next.

I'm reminded of a story from years ago in which a man took a test to be a cop and was turned down because he was deemed to be "too smart". He scored a 33 and apparently that force only interviews people that score between 20 and 27. Their reasoning was down to them believing that someone that's "too smart" may get bored of being a copy and all the expensive training would go to waste. But I think this is the flipside. You've got a bunch of people that simply aren't equipped to properly do their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom