• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working OT is pointless

I’m saying this because it wasn’t always like this. I swear 10-12 years ago a few big OT checks or a bonus would stack in my savings/investment account or help me plan vacation.

Now I don’t see anything, because my normal budget doesn’t pay for all of the extra shit that builds and comes up out of the wood work. If I wanna keep an emergency fund I always have to burn my OT/bonus.

And now my car insurance is going up a ton, I’ve already been shopping and changing insurers other years and holy fucking shit what is going on? I have a perfect fucking driving record, and a non-electric or luxury car, and I’m still getting blasted with higher costs that eat into my monthly savings more and more.

OT does nothing but help me throw a couple more buckets of water into an ocean. Also I don’t lifestyle creep as I make more, it’s the cost of living stealing everything, and the fact that I’m not moving up in income $12k a year or something.

I feel like rather than try to “get rich” I need to take my USD to a way cheaper country.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Yeah your right, it was 10 years ago when i realized overtime just wasn't worth it. Now I work my assigned hours and move on (give or take a few hours to set myself up).

A truckdriver I recently talked to says that the company clocked him in once he sat down in the driver's seat. That's wild.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My coworkers swear by it. They try to eat that shit up. For my part, I try to stay as close to 40 hr a week.

My wife has a similar hourly rate that I do. However she regularly works 12 hours a day. Sometimes she'll work weekends. Because of this she makes almost 2x I do.

Maybe I'm just mediocre with no work ethic, but damn. I just don't care about my job that much. It's a way for me to survive so I can do shit I actually care about.

Top Bottom