• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Workout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I have started working out with free weights after a long time recently, I have gotten results really fast too, therein lies the problem, my shoulders have gotten way too big too fast, and my wardrobe is starting to not fit anymore....what's the best way to keep doing shoulder exercises to keep them toned as opposed to getting any bigger?

MonkeyBoy

remember, any excersise builds muscle, so they may continue to get bigger, but if anything i would say push ups and lack of lifting focus on another excersise on your arms to balance out.

capslock

Well, I don't do just the shoulders, I do a full upper body workout, including biceps, triceps, back and chest. I was just wondering how I should adjust my reps and sets so that I can focus on toning instead of mass.

Dyne

More reps of a lighter weight perhaps? I have the same problem but I've edged it out by going for more reps training for a slow twitch muscle body.

P.S. Wardrobes are one of the things you have to leave at the door when it comes to exercising a lot. I've lost a lot of weight through aerobics and all of my XL shirts are way too big now. And I'm happy.

Drexon

Banned
Yeah, whaddya mean "I'm getting too handsome, help!"? Don't you wanna look like Johnny Bravo dude? :p Seriously though, less reps = bigger muscles, all there is to it. If you wanna tone your self, go for 15-20 reps per set, and 3 sets, always 3 sets.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If you feel that your shoulders are getting too big right now. Then concentrate less on them. Don't do any push movements for shoulders anymore, which means no overhead press movements. Do Lateral Raises, Bentover Raises and front raises. This will still stimulate all three heads of the Deltoid muscle but wont really put you in a position that your body will be forced to increase the muscle size to handle the load you are putting on it.
Another thing to look at regarding your training is that a lot of people put too much emphasis on the shoulders when they are training chest. When you bench you should be pushing the bar to your toes. Don't worry you will not actually be able to do this, but if you can think about how you control the weight when you train, you do not want the weight above your face when it is at the highest position.
I hope this makes sense. But honestly doing raises will help shape your shoulders really nicely. And if you have the size you are comfortable with, then shape is really what you should be looking for right now.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Bah, damn you! My shoulders are being a right bitch and are taking ages to grow.

Which I don't really understand, everything else is going fine and I understand shoulders are quite easy as so many movements (not just delt based) use them.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Do you wear spandex over your whole body or those tight-ass t-shirts that were too small to begin with?

If you just started the massive gains will begin to slow down. It's pretty typical for muscle to start jumping on you like crazy when you first start lifting.

capslock

Thanks a lot Truelize, those tips were very helpful.....

To answer the other question, no I don't wear spandex, but I do have some very nice dress shirts that I wear to work and now they're starting to feel tight.

DJ Sl4m

This is a really easy answer, train every bodypart directly, with the exception of your shoulders.

Every upper body movement and excersise is going to affect your shoulder growth and recovery, if they are growing too fast, stop working them out for a bit.

Chances are if you were to keep at the same pace, your shoulders would be 'overtained' very soon and ripe for an injury, it's best you recognised it beforehand.

By continueing your workout without shoulder excersises, you're still going to have muscles in your shoulders stimulated, but not nearly as much.

By noticing your shoulders are growing faster you've 1. identified one of your best responding bodyparts, (My best responding muscles are my Triceps, quads and pecs) and 2. realised you want to scult your body a certain way, which is to be applauded. Too many people try to overeat, or overdiet and train like mad with no plan laid out for how they want to shape themselves and it's a shame considering all the hard work put into it.

Keep up the good job man, and don't forget to post some pics when/if you ever become satisfied with your look or progress.

Also, if anyone is interested, I just started using a new flavor of protein the other day. Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Mint flavor. I've never seen it at a store, but I got it online from fitrx.com (25 bucks for a 5lb thing, not bad). I used to use double rich chocolate but I think i like this a little more. tastes better in water or in milk. Tastes alot like melted mint chocolate chip ice cream.

capslock

DJ Sl4m said:
This is a really easy answer, train every bodypart directly, with the exception of your shoulders.

Every upper body movement and excersise is going to affect your shoulder growth and recovery, if they are growing too fast, stop working them out for a bit.

Chances are if you were to keep at the same pace, your shoulders would be 'overtained' very soon and ripe for an injury, it's best you recognised it beforehand.

By continueing your workout without shoulder excersises, you're still going to have muscles in your shoulders stimulated, but not nearly as much.

By noticing your shoulders are growing faster you've 1. identified one of your best responding bodyparts, (My best responding muscles are my Triceps, quads and pecs) and 2. realised you want to scult your body a certain way, which is to be applauded. Too many people try to overeat, or overdiet and train like mad with no plan laid out for how they want to shape themselves and it's a shame considering all the hard work put into it.

Keep up the good job man, and don't forget to post some pics when/if you ever become satisfied with your look or progress.

Thanks, here's a pic of where I am right now (at the risk of looking totally narcissistic), this is after about 2 weeks of heavy training. I am not tall, so I don't want really wide shoulders, what I have right now I want to tone rather than enlarge.

1593_p230690.jpeg

morbidaza said:
Also, if anyone is interested, I just started using a new flavor of protein the other day. Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Mint flavor. I've never seen it at a store, but I got it online from fitrx.com (25 bucks for a 5lb thing, not bad). I used to use double rich chocolate but I think i like this a little more. tastes better in water or in milk. Tastes alot like melted mint chocolate chip ice cream.

How do you normally fix it? I usually get a few clumps left over after mixing it with milk. I'm going to buy a shaker later, but do you know of any alternative methods?

OP: It would be easier to check out your shoulders if you dropped your hands to your sides.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
You know whats cool?

I just came back to the gym today after taking a week off. Before that, I went 4-5X a week. I benched a solid set of 185, then a solid set of 195. The thing is, I could never, and have never been able to do this. I've always struggled with even a couple reps of 185. It felt amazing. Going for 200 next time.

Moral? Take a break once in a while. It does wonders.

I also cycled off creatine ~ a week ago. Its supposed to drop your energy/strength levels slightly, but I've seen the opposite. I've only been on it for a month.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Not everyone feels a drop in strength when they come off creatine. Especially after using it for only one month. It's most common to use it two months on, one month off.

We don't have ON Choc Mint up here in Canada. Well you can get it from a couple of places but it is brought in special just for them. I've tried it though, and really liked it. I've been in love with ON Chocolate for years now. Great stuff. If you ever get some clumps just shake it a bit more violently. No specail mixing schedules needed. Protien just needs some time to separate in your shaker cup.

It's nice to have a topic about training on here. Very seldom have I seen this come up.

eggplant said:
How do you normally fix it? I usually get a few clumps left over after mixing it with milk. I'm going to buy a shaker later, but do you know of any alternative methods?

OP: It would be easier to check out your shoulders if you dropped your hands to your sides.

I normally just mix it with water, sugar(especially right after a workout), and some glutamine powder.

Mix it with a bit of water so it's still sightly thick and it really doesn't taste bad at all. No clumps.

If I do it in milk though I usually just eat the clumps.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Going 4-5 times a week to the gym is overkill. You dont build muscles working out, you build muscles resting. I would suggest one day on one day off, and then rest on the weekend.

AssMan

Banned
I just came back to the gym today after taking a week off. Before that, I went 4-5X a week. I benched a solid set of 185, then a solid set of 195

Yeah. That has happened to me before, but I'm a little sketchy about doing this with bench pressing instead of dumbells, which was what you were talking about.

And by the way, doing dumbell presses gets you strong FAST. I added about 20 pounds to my bench in one and a half week from doing dumbell presses.

Going 4-5 times a week to the gym is overkill. You dont build muscles working out, you build muscles resting. I would suggest one day on one day off, and then rest on the weekend.

It depends on what you're working out. Working out one body part every day is good enough. I workout every day, but only one body part a day. The only day I do two different workouts are biceps and triceps.

DJ Sl4m

Yes, a great point in your reply is always listen to your own body, everyone is different, and always adjust accordingly.

That's not to say Stooges post is incorect, it just may be correct for him, but not for you.
Only way to know for sure is to start a program and adapt to the signs you reciceve from your body, such as soreness, pump, increase in strength, getting sick easily, overly sore etc etc.

You may have to skip a session from time to time, sometimes it may be that your whole body needs rest, esp if your sick (BTW anti-biotics make you weaker when lifting while you take them), but there will be times only a certain bodypart needs rest.

I know this sounds corny, but most people refuse to react to the signs thier body gives when they need rest, you should be proud that you noticed and had enough sence to adjust and do what you had to do. Always listen to the signs your body gives out whether it be good or bad and adjust. Even the best advise is only a starting point, ajusting to hat you need to do is what seperates yourself from people who don't, which in the end is poeple who will keep progressing compared to someone who is on the track to getting a serious injury.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
StoOgE said:

I'm not sure about that. I know in a couple weeks, I'm barely going to have a chance to go. So I'll take the chance when I can.

The thing is, I'm not focusing on the same muscles on those days. There are more than enough muscle groups to not focus on the same muscle on consecutive days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom