• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever experienced Vertigo?

Mossybrew

And no, not the classic Hitchcock movie. Until this week I'd associated the term with that queasy feeling you get at heights, or motion sickness from cars or VR. Well apparently there's a whole other level you can reach that can hit you suddenly out of nowhere thanks to your inner ear - Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) if you want to look it up.

Usually it comes as a result of sudden head movement or trauma, but it can also just happen randomly especially in older people because yeah, your body just keeps breaking down in unexpected ways until you die, that's fun. I was at work Wednesday and started feeling a bit dizzy, within a couple minutes it ramped up to the point where I couldn't even stand, everything was spinning worse than the worst spinny-drunk I've ever felt, felt like I was on a carnival ride. Sudden sweats, nausea, heart rate spiked. I thought I was stroking out or something. My coworkers acted fast to keep me comfortable and calm until EMTs arrived, and they thought I was in rough enough shape that they strongly suggested I take the ambulance back with them to the ER. Yep, that's gonna be a big copay, can't wait for that bill.

Anyway since then I've been fine. Now I know that there's little crystals in your inner ear that can get out of position and send false signals to your brain, which kinda short circuits because one ear is telling it one thing and the other is telling it something different and that's like, never supposed to happen. Intense and not fun!

So now you know too GAF. Ever experienced this or know someone who did?

GeekyDad

Not sure if what I experience would be considered vertigo, but one of the big side effects of the brain cancer I have has to do with height perception. I still have to go up and down stairs one step at a time (both feet elevating one step, then another, etc.), yet it has nothing to do with leg strength -- I'm fine as far as that goes. And I also started to have issues properly determining, I guess you'd call it orientation. I was once working an area, thought I was standing straight up, and the next thing I knew I was almost on my back. I realized I was standing almost diagonally. I don't feel any type of nausea when this sort of thing happens, though. I just kinda don't realize I'm not quite level. This started early on, even before diagnosis. Not as bad as it was once I started on seizure medications. An oddity also associated with this is that when I'm full of adrenaline (due to fast-paced activity or excitement), the symptoms seems to dissipate a little.

First and worst Covid symptoms.
Then once I had my Covid certificate or whatever they called it I watched Moonfall. When I entered that giant IMAX cavern I felt like on a carnival ride, could barely walk to my seat. Maybe I spent too much time in my room during the pandemic 🤡

T4keD0wN

Yeah, had vertigo issues for like 1/5th of my life, mostly related to inner ear which is in disastrous state. It makes life hell, i was scared every time i got up from the bed or a chair and almost killed myself about 100 times during workouts, luckily its pretty much fixed now, wish i could say the same about tinnitus, Ill have that thing as a 24/7 reminder to protect my inner ears for the rest of my life. Unfortunately science around inner ears is apparently very difficult and ENTs have very little knowledge available about inner ears and if something very bad happens itll likely never be fully resolved unless youre lucky and act quickly (at least thats what about dozen different ENTs told me).

I sometimes still experience dizzines similar to vertigo although less intense, but apparently thats unrelated to inner ears and just caused by very low resting heartrate and/or low bodyfat. Even this stuff still sucks.

I hope your future and everyone elses is vertigo free OP.

protonion

Two times in my life.

I woke up having vertigo. The world was spinning at the z axis.

It is the worst thing I have ever experienced. It felt like if it will go for long you will die.

I always have Ribrain in my home just in case. It cures it within 30 minutes.

ssringo

I've had mild BPPV a couple times. Laid down and room started spinning. Stood up and it stopped. Luckily was able to do the movement/exercise on my own to resolve it.

Sucked and it's not even a bad case so I feel for people that have it worse.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure if it's vertigo but one time as a kid I had a bad fever. I remember my vision was zooming in and out like a hawk and I was freaked out by it. I dont know if it were my eyes or brain acting crazy (or both), but it was weird as hell.

DOW

I’ve been experiencing it mildly for about a year. At my most recent physical I told my doctor and he said it was most likely Ménière’s disease.

I only get it when I lay flat on my back and lift my head too quick or if I am lying down and roll to my right.

Recently I noticed my hearing in my right ear is down to probably around 10% so I need to go back and get it thoroughly looked at.

Trilobit

When I stopped taking a medication I was occasionally hit with some kind of vertigo for a while. When I was showering I could lose all sense of balance and was forced down to the floor as it was impossible to stand. Insane sensation. Got it in bed sometimes, everything spinning around me. You really take some functions for granted.

Last edited:

Banned
I did have small balance issues when I had covid. it was very weird and annoying.

every few hours I was like "woahh... what's happening?" and I had to grab onto something real quick.

not sure what was weirder, that or not being able to smell and taste anything for 3 days.

Brigandier

I had a bout of vertigo about 15 years ago it lasted for approx 5 days it just hit me one day and I felt like I was going to throw up, I couldn't stand on one leg and felt so heavy, I felt I was leaning to either my left or right even though I wasn't and felt like I was spinning.

Hope I don't ever experience it again.

Tams

Yep, that's gonna be a big copay, can't wait for that bill.

fuck yeah GIF

gow3isben

Another is vestibular neuritis more rare than BPPV but has those symptoms on steroids with massive retching first 24 hours and vertigo symptoms which take over a month to resolve.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yeah i do at times, especially near steep drops and large heights, i have trouble painting right above the stairs if i look down lol, it freezes you in place at times

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yes, I had a really bad episode of it a couple years ago. I had a dream I was spinning around and woke up and the room was spinning and I threw up all day. I was so nauseous. It's totally debilitating until it goes away, you can't do anything you're so dizzy.

MastAndo

Yep, twice. Always assumed it was dehydration or something, but those Vertigo symptoms sound just like what happened to me.

First time I was about 10 years old, and I was flag bearer during the Pledge of Allegiance before some ceremony. I just started sweating profusely, ears ringing and the lights were slowly getting turned out. I didn't keel over, fortunately. Second time, I was standing on a crowded NYC subway as an adult, though about 20 years ago - same symptoms, but my legs gave out this time from the dizziness. Fortunately, I was able to brace myself as my knees buckled. No one even flinched.

Top Bottom