• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst console launch in History.

Technically, the N64 was the worst launch ever with only two games available and there was nothing else for like 6 months after that if I remember correctly.

Out of the Sony consoles, for me it might have to be the PS5. Not because of lack of games, but getting one is extremely frustrating and difficult. I actually acquired one at launch and come to find out that it mysteriously disappeared on Nov. 12th at the Fed Ex facility when it was supposed to be on the truck. Guy said, it’s not on my truck. Should be on the next one. What? It never came. Over and week and I still don’t know what’s going on with it and everyone is clueless. Lost or stolen?

Add in scalpers, Covid-19, primarily online only availability with crappy websites crashing, higher prices and bots and it’s been pretty disastrous so far. Got PS5 games just staring at me waiting to be played with no hardware still.

Turnstyle

The Xbox launch line up is embarrassing, BUT, as someone who last owned an Xbox in the 360 era, picking up a Series S and gamepass has been amazing.

Tbh it's the reason I bothered picking up a system day one this gen in the first place.

Trimesh

Banned
Rose tinted glasses are definitely on

So you really don't have any experience with prior console launches? Or you're just mad about the last gen not meeting you're needs and expected this one to scratch that itch because its new?

That makes absolutely no sense.

I just explained that in the previous launches I have been around for there was always at least one game that made the purchase of the system seem worthwhile, and that's (to me) entirely lacking for both the PS5 and the Series {X|S} launch.

I don't see how it's possible to infer from that that I "don't have any experience with prior console launches" unless your reading comprehension is utterly deficient.

Last edited:
Allocation priority goes to where the competition is actually fierce and matters....

NA/UK. get all the fun for a while. It's a smart business move. I would double down 10x. Other parts of the world can wait.

Last edited:

elco

Totally disagree. PS3 was far worse in my opinion.

Even with no pandemic, I was still only able to get one because I just happened to have walked into the store to see if they had any playstation 3's available, when their truck pulled up delivering a handful. This was weeks/month(s) after launch. There wasn't nearly a generations worth of content I could play via backwards compatibility either.

Tschumi

That's not a bad call tbh, begs the question of what the best generation was..

People take so much joy in exclusivity. Does the fact that only your machine can play a certain title really sweeten the pot by that much?

Seems odd to me, is all.

Fair point, i think the last time i got an xbox was to play fifa online with a 360.. maybe exclusives only mean so much atm because of what sony did with PS4.. that's fair enough, but there is definitely more to it than exclusives.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes absolutely no sense.

I just explained that in the previous launches I have been around for there was always at least one game that made the purchase of the system seem worthwhile, and that's (to me) entirely lacking for both the PS5 and the Series {X|S} launch.

I don't see how it's possible to infer from that that I "don't have any experience with prior console launches" unless your reading comprehension is utterly deficient.
I kinda find it hard to believe that this gen suddenly didn't have worthwhile purchases while prior, less substantial launches had ONE game that tickled your fancy.

Comprehension has nothing to do with it, consistency my game.

Alan Wake

It has been one of the best console launch for PS5... at least better than PS4 and PS3.

- Great impressions
- Great games
- Great word of mouth
- Great performance

Seems like everything did right with Sony and PS5.

The allocation seems way higher than previous consoles it just the demand is way way higher.

A very sparse launch lineup. A remake, some cross gen titles, nothing to be that excited about. But the hardware seems great this time, so does the controller.

reinking

Gold Member
There's a "mysterious" third option in case some people didn't realize i.e. don't buy a next gen console... yet.

Demon's Souls is the only one on that list worth playing. Sackboy? Not my type of game. Godfall? Based on reviews, it's shit. Spider-Man is for people who like Spider-man. I'm not one of them.

7 years ago I picked up a launch ps4 because I liked the Killzone franchise. Meanwhile in 2020 I just don't see the same sort of "go buy one now!" reason. And no, that doesn't mean Xbox is better right now.
I love it when people base available titles only on what they want instead of seeing that it provides options for different tastes. There is a reason they spread different genre into the launch.

I

Trimesh

Banned
I kinda find it hard to believe that this gen suddenly didn't have worthwhile purchases while prior, less substantial launches had ONE game that tickled your fancy.

Comprehension has nothing to do with it, consistency my game.

Try "at least one" rather than "identically one". Again, comprehension is the key here.

FrankWza

You NEVER want to be the console sitting on shelves at or around launch. Especially when you’re launching around a traditional gifting season. Sony is putting out more units worldwide than with PS4 during a pandemic and they still have millions waiting to be purchased before Christmas if stock allowed it.They’re exactly where they want to be.

Last edited:

Fbh

The only negative part for me is the crazy price Sony is charging for the system around here. Hopefully they change their mind.

Other than that it seems like a way better launch than last gen, at least on Playstation.

-Cool new games like Miles Morales and Demon Souls vs average to mediocre games like Killzone and Knack
-A lot of cross gen games running with new tech (ray tracing) and twice the performance (60/120fps) vs games that basically just ran at higher resolution and targeted the same performance as last gen but hit it more consistently (to be fair though, the big exception is BF4 which was a massive improvement)
- Cool backwards compatibility that often enhances games you already own vs no backwards compatibility
- Ps+ collection gives you access to some of the best exclusive and third party games of the previous gen vs Only TLOU Remaster available, not at launch and you need to buy it again
-Cyberpunk available in less than a month vs Nothing nearly as exciting until the console was out for like a year and a half.

PS5
Demon's Souls
Sackboy
Godfall
Spider-Man

Xbox

You're not wrong. But to be fair, Godfall is trash, Sackboy is niche af, Spider Man MM is on PS4. Demons Souls is the only legit reason to buy a PS5. Works for me. It's why I got one. But, despite any XSX launch exclusives Game Pass changes the equation and provides far more to play.

fvng

I ordered a PS5 but I've already platinum'd OG Demon's Souls and it seems like Miles Morales is too short to justify the price tag, so I'll wait on that one. So I feel like im going to be using it to play PS4 games with upgraded visuals until Cyberpunk and other games come out. Incidentally I think I'm most excited to play the pack in game of Astro Bot.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I love it when people base available titles only on what they want instead of seeing that it provides options for different tastes. There is a reason they spread different genre into the launch.

Are you for real? i.e. why on earth would I buy a 400/500 euros games console just to play... what somebody else likes whilst I don't?

giphy.gif

This isn't an election where I need to make a choice between two options. No, it's a personal choice which only affects me & I made it.

Global launch on paper. In reality they ship them all to America. Use your head.
And Japan doesn't matter anymore.

Maybe 20 years from now China will be number one I don't know but what I do know is that small countries will still be way down the list. "PS5 winning in the Netherlands" versus "PS5 winning in the US". Guess which gets a big neogaf sales thread.

Try "at least one" rather than "identically one". Again, comprehension is the key here.
I cant believe you're being this pedantic. I said not ONE because you said "at least ONE". I may have omitted a word that changed the context, but don't be a prick to make a non existant point. You could always find a single game to make a purchase worth it in the past, now with a launch lineup better than most not a single game exist. I just find it hard to believe.

I do apologize for the first console remark by the way.

Unknown?

You're not wrong. But to be fair, Godfall is trash, Sackboy is niche af, Spider Man MM is on PS4. Demons Souls is the only legit reason to buy a PS5. Works for me. It's why I got one. But, despite any XSX launch exclusives Game Pass changes the equation and provides far more to play.
Lol tell that to the Switch. New, great games sell consoles not services with old games.

Trimesh

Banned
I cant believe you're being this pedantic. I said not ONE because you said "at least ONE". I may have omitted a word that changed the context, but don't be a prick to make a non existant point. You could always find a single game to make a purchase worth it in the past, now with a launch lineup better than most not a single game exist. I just find it hard to believe.

I do apologize for the first console remark by the way.

But it's the truth. Honestly, the only game I'm even slightly interested in is Astro's Playroom (mostly because I really liked rescue mission on PSVR) - but that's basically a tech demo and doesn't seem an adequate reason to buy the console.

We have Demon's Souls - which is a good game, but I already played on the PS3 and don't really have any interest in playing it again. I've never been a big Spiderman fan and the games are just a remake and something that frankly seems more fitting as a DLC rather than a full game. And Sackboy - which really doesn't make me go "wow" at all.

So basically, if I did buy one I would effectively just be running enhanced versions of games I could already run on my PS4 Pro - and at that point you have to ask "why"?

It's not like I'm unused to small launch lineups - the first console I ever pre-ordered was the Super Famicom - and that launched with a total of 2 games (Super Mario World and F-Zero) - but SMW on it's own was enough to make the console worth buying. As I said before, I'm sure at some point some "fuck YES" game will come out for it, but not yet.

When you factor in all that has happened in 2020. If not getting a PS5 is the worst thing that has happened to you, consider yourself lucky.

It was impossible for both MS & Sony to be able make enough stock to meet this day one demand especially in the middle of covid.

Last edited:
But it's the truth. Honestly, the only game I'm even slightly interested in is Astro's Playroom (mostly because I really liked rescue mission on PSVR) - but that's basically a tech demo and doesn't seem an adequate reason to buy the console.

We have Demon's Souls - which is a good game, but I already played on the PS3 and don't really have any interest in playing it again. I've never been a big Spiderman fan and the games are just a remake and something that frankly seems more fitting as a DLC rather than a full game. And Sackboy - which really doesn't make me go "wow" at all.

So basically, if I did buy one I would effectively just be running enhanced versions of games I could already run on my PS4 Pro - and at that point you have to ask "why"?

It's not like I'm unused to small launch lineups - the first console I ever pre-ordered was the Super Famicom - and that launched with a total of 2 games (Super Mario World and F-Zero) - but SMW on it's own was enough to make the console worth buying. As I said before, I'm sure at some point some "fuck YES" game will come out for it, but not yet.
You do know Exclusives aren't the only games on the system right? You do know super Mario world came with the system right?(when I got it at least. You called it the super famicom). But I KINDA get it.
The "WHY" would be it does it better than the pro by the way. Plus Demons Souls.

Only because no one can find PS5s to buy that second week.

Nope, not only because of that. If you expect it to put a dent in Nintendo's utter dominance of Japan, you'll be disappointed. Worry about other markets, Japan is like the California voting of gaming countries. You know what to expect and betting on anything else is futile.

Trimesh

Banned
You do know Exclusives aren't the only games on the system right? You do know super Mario world came with the system right?(when I got it at least. You called it the super famicom). But I KINDA get it.
The "WHY" would be it does it better than the pro by the way. Plus Demons Souls.

I'm in Hong Kong - and we typically got the Japanese versions of stuff. The Super Famicom didn't come with a packin, although a lot of resellers were selling it in a bundle with SMW. I guess one of the other reasons I'm not that enthused about this generation is simply that I feel we are well into the domain of diminishing returns with graphics - and have even come to suspect that at this point it's become an impediment because it ends up consuming huge amounts of resources that hence can't be used for improving the actual game.

I'm in Hong Kong - and we typically got the Japanese versions of stuff. The Super Famicom didn't come with a packin, although a lot of resellers were selling it in a bundle with SMW. I guess one of the other reasons I'm not that enthused about this generation is simply that I feel we are well into the domain of diminishing returns with graphics - and have even come to suspect that at this point it's become an impediment because it ends up consuming huge amounts of resources that hence can't be used for improving the actual game.
Fair enough. Hope we're cool.

buizel

Banned
The Xbox launch line up is embarrassing, BUT, as someone who last owned an Xbox in the 360 era, picking up a Series S and gamepass has been amazing.

Tbh it's the reason I bothered picking up a system day one this gen in the first place.

can you stream games on game pass yet?

Bodomism

Banned
Lol tell that to the Switch. New, great games sell consoles not services with old games.
Tbf, the best selling Nintendo Switch game is an enchanted port of WiiU game and same can be said to PS4 and XBO as well with GTAV as the best selling game on both hardwares.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are far from being the worst console launch in history. I want both consoles and have one exclusive for each that I want to play. Miles Morales and Gears Tactics respectively. At this point, im just hoping to snag both consoles by Christmas.

MrS

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony disagrees with you. He says that PS5 launch titles are awful.

G1A8KuU.jpg
It's long established that your friend is a retard. Not sure why you feel the need to keep posting their stupidity here.

MayauMiao

PS5
Demon's Souls
Sackboy
Godfall
Spider-Man

Xbox

The problem with the list is I don't plan to get Xbox either.

The PS5 launch title you list out, only Godfall is a new IP, and not a very good one at that. The rest is a remaster, 1.5 upgrade, and a kids game that does not appeal to me at all.

Last edited:

recursive

The same thing is happening in Japan, if we take a look at the weekly sales on Japanese market before the releases of PS5, we could easily conclude that PS4 is no longer a priority in Japan for Sony as the sales has been drastically lower than anything before and just logically assumed Sony had freed the PS4 production channels and replace it with PS5 in order to prepare a bigger shipments size for Japan but in the end the result speaks for itself.

Either Sony is struggling with the production of PS5 which had been denied by Sony itself or the allocation size is significantly bigger in the US and UK that forces Sony to cut down the other markets shipment sizes.
Lol. Sony is fine. Sorry you are concerned.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like a premature thread now.
Using Japan numbers that are way better than Japan numbers at PS4 launch to try to spin a point.

Reality?

Woopah

Are you sure? Because in Japan they only sold around 100K PS5s. PS4 had more than 200K sold units back then.

if the allocation is way higher than previous consoles, then the demand is way way lower.
PS4 launched months later in Japan than the West, so they had more time to build up stocks. PS5 would have sold more if there was more stock.

I expect weekly sales to be pretty low from January 2021.

RedRysen

Neo Member
Well i'm waiting till Christmas for a new batch to get one anyway, but i keep seeing people saying that we even have to wait till March which is driving me crazy.

I think not even SONY was aware of the demand of these consoles. They should have been though.
At least lets hope they are for xmas. Its a spending period anyway.

Top Bottom