• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would I have to be fluent in french?

neptunes

Would I have to be fluent in french to work at the UbiSoft montreal studio?

I live in toronto and I stopped learning french about 3 years ago.

you think I could last working there without speaking french?

Laurent

Not necessarlly. Montreal is a bilingual metropolis. You won't have any problem to communicate with citizen in english. If you are competent at what you're doing, Ubi Soft won't require you to speak french IMO.

mr2mike

Banned
Well enev in Quebec, at least part of the population can speak english ( -> me). Montreal should have a larger english-speaking contingent, and Ubi being pretty international, I'd have to wager they can accomodate english employees.

I'd have to ask my cousin though, started working there this year.

neptunes

well you you know that french cable station? (12 and 13 rogers)

They had a segment on Ubi Soft and everyone in the studio was speaking fluent French and that scared me quite a bit. :)

neptunes said:
well you you know that french cable station? (12 and 13 rogers)

They had a segment on Ubi Soft and everyone in the studio was speaking fluent French and that scared me quite a bit. :)

Well you should be able to talk in french and understand french. But I think there are some english people there.

Fifty

Rockstar Toronto is much closer :D Although I'm not sure where their offices are...and they don't seem to have a website.

Buggy Loop

Had a few ubi friends when i lived in montreal, pretty much everyone there are bilingual (like the majority of peoples here actually, at least the educated ones). I doubt it would be a requirement to understand it.

If they would take you over someone who speaks both english and french, thats what you should be worried about though. If you have the talent and background to make them interested, it wont be a problem i think.

Ubi bought Red Storm and the rainbow six license didnt they? When key devs from red storm moved to ubi montreal to go into the R6/splinter cell team i doubt much of any of them spoke a word of french.

explodet

Fifty said:
Rockstar Toronto is much closer :D Although I'm not sure where their offices are...and they don't seem to have a website.
Yeah, Toronto's got Rockstar Toronto, Pseudo, and.... well, I think that's it.

Let's go to Rockstar Toronto (if we ever find out where they are) and throw eggs at their cars until they get off their ass and finish The Warriors.

neptunes

I don't anything to do with Rockstar Toronto (oakville) even though I called them up once.

they don't even have a website (not even sure if they're still working on "The Warriors")

With Ubi Soft montreal, it just seems more secure (with benefits too)

EDIT: I can always open my french textbooks just go over my Francais.

explodet

*googles*

Some press releases say The Warriors was being worked on by Rockstar Toronto. Others say this:

Rockstar Toronto is responsible for the development of the PlayStation®2 versions of Rockstar's Oni and Max Payne intellectual properties.
So they did Oni and Max Payne 1 for the PS2.

And nothing ever since?

Well, that's still 2 games to Pseudo's one.

explodet

Yeah, I kid about Pseudo, they do good work.

As for Rockstar Toronto, I'm having trouble even finding current proof of their existance :p
Maybe I'll give them a call (and then find an address so I can throw eggs at cars)

suikodan

My God, such precautions for a hostile environnement (Quebec and French people).

You can speak English at Ubi, people will understand you (after all, we're supposed to be a bilingual country, it applies there).

I guess EA Mtl is also bilingual.

You can also speak english in Montreal, people will also understand you. Don't expect much in the regions out in Quebec though.

And eventually, you might want to speak French, heck, if I was able to learn english by playing video games, you could learn French by making them ;)

Ranger X

Check also for Electronic Arts and Activision in Montreal.
By the way, it's true that you don't need to be perfect with your french since it's a billingual french/english city. BUT, there's a law here that says that "the functionnal language to use in your workplace have to be french" (well, that's traduced from french i don't know about the actual traduction of the law text in english).
Means that if your competent enough in your job, they won't bother you with if your french is lacking. But if your french is a problem for them (whatever their reason) they can show you the door and you wouldn't be able to do anything against that because of that law...

Hellraizah

Wyzdom said:
there's a law here that says that "the functionnal language to use in your workplace have to be french"
True. Tell that to the people working at Burger King in Montreal, they don't even KNOW french.

suikodan

I heard of that law but I know it isn't respected in many places... For one, 75% of the communications at my work are in English. It doesn't matter much since english is required for the job as we deal with people living in the west side of the country.

Oh well, I always try to speak French when that happens, just to see them suffer. Hey, I speak english when I go to LA so I'll speak french where I live ;)

neptunes

img_env1_p.jpg

img_env3_p.jpg

img_env2_p.jpg

They're doing good thing for montreal (exposure is needed)

Wow, thats a pretty cool looking place.

neptunes: I can't speak for Edmonton, but you're missing out otherwise. Calgary and Vancouver beat out the Toronto area from my experience.

miyuru

Vancouver for sure.

I haven't really been to Calgary enough, but I'd say it and Edmonton are about the same?

Hey, at least we have a mall! A very big one I mean :)

bobafett

The official language of Ubisoft Montreal is english, as in all game developers around the world. Can you imagine a game developer that doesn't speak english?

Top Bottom