• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if GTA6 plays like RDR2/GTA5?

GTA5 is over 10 years old and RDR2's gameplay was arguably a step down with even more linear/heavily scripted mission design. While Rockstar's world building and attention to detail are unmatched, the original formula seems more than a bit outdated in 2023. Also with key personnel (Leslie Benzies , Dan Houser, Lazlow) leaving the studio, there are concerns about their ability to pull off a story of GTA5's caliber in the current world climate.

So my question is, would you be satisfied/consider GTA6 a success if it copies the old formula without a decent chunk of innovation?

It won't play like any of those two, I can assure you. Rockstar ain't holding back for that long just to release another copy of an old game. They are among the only ones that do not do this kind of shit. They know all the criticism about RDR2's limited mission design and that maybe the heaviest critic it got (aside from the clunky/realistic controls but opinions on that were polarizing).

Last edited:

Hudo

I need more to be impressed for the next entry of one of the biggest IPs with more than 10 years of dev time, developed by an ensemble of studios of a big-ass and rich game developer.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's absolutely going to play just like GTA V and RDR2. Neat tech / storytelling innovations, absolutely, but it will definitely still play like your character is wading through waist-high treacle, and guide you through cinematic moments in a linear fashion. It's what they do.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

nop

In fact, i'm almost sure this will be the first major rockstar game i skip, i used to be a huge fan of their stuff.

Last edited:
Well I hope so, RDR2s world and more realistic approach still wipes the floor with every other open world game to this date. NPCs feel like real characters, the world is alive, that‘s what I hope they‘ll pull off with GTA6.

Spyxos

No, I want the characters to control better. In Gta 5 and rdr 2 you character plays like a tank.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes.

We have a rockstar game every 10 years and their heavy animations and euphoria system is a trademark, the remaining 99% of videogames have snappy controls and they are not so animations heavy.

Sure if they find a way to have max payne 3 gameplay it would be glorious but i don't have much hope.

What they have to fix is the mission design, but you can't have much freedom when the whole thing is super cinematic and scripted, what i ask is to have a better ratio, give me at least 50% of the missions with open world freedom and keep the rest super cinematic.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Rdr2 but more refined would be the dream.

Structured the same with the same level of detail and interaction as rdr2 and it'll be the game of multiple generations.

It's about time we had another actual open world to just go and exist in. Getting pretty tired of these static bloated titles

StueyDuck

I need more to be impressed for the next entry of one of the biggest IPs with more than 10 years of dev time, developed by an ensemble of studios of a big-ass and rich game developer.
Can I interest you in some loading screens between areas and npcs that just prattle on for hours on end.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i rather they improve the awful clunky movement in GTA 5 and RDR 2 (RDR 2 is the worse).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Gta5 have the weakest gunplay (visually) of all rockstar games with euphoria, rdr2 was much better in term of oomphf etc.

Rdr2 problem was the shitty aim system and cover system.
Not when there is a massive input lag to aim too.

elmos-acc

I think they are going to overhaul the vehicle handling in a more realistic direction once again, but keep the character controls similarly weighted. It would be nice if they included more movement options like climbing and crawling.

The mission design is maybe going to have more alternative paths, but they are still going to be linear.

GymWolf

Not when there is a massive input lag to aim too.
Aim system cover that aspect so i'm aware.
But i take meatier gunplay with input lag over the opposite, that's basically why people still love killzone 2 after many years even if it had more input lag than your average reeee user brain.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
More than anything I want a more robust sandbox to play in for GTA VI. Less interested in size, and more interested in density.
I'd love a more interactive and dynamic open world, a better physics engine, and more clever and responsive AI.

Less discrepancy between the open world and missions. Fail states and a very linear mission structure made for a jarring and inconsistent experience in their past games.
Let players tackle missions with more choices, don't punish players for thinking outside the box.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Aim system cover that aspect so i'm aware.
But i take meatier gunplay with input lag over the opposite, that's basically why people still love killzone 2 after many years even if it had more input lag than your average reeee user brain.
You're talking as if the input lag was intentional. It was just shit due to technical limitations. They even released a patch because it was so bad. Shitty and unresponsive controls aren't "meatier" gunplay. It's just bad.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
that's basically why people still love killzone 2 after many years even if it had more input lag than your average reeee user brain.
puppet-vomit.gif

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My biggest problem with controls in V was driving. It simply wasn't fun. It's a big problem in a game like this.

GymWolf

You're talking as if the input lag was intentional. It was just shit due to technical limitations. They even released a patch because it was so bad. Shitty and unresponsive controls aren't "meatier" gunplay. It's just bad.
Of course is not intentional and they can do better, but if at launch the game has input lag i'm not gonna cry as loud as some other people.

Like i said, if we can have their weighty animations with max payne 3 gameplay it would be glorious.

The meatier part was not related to the input lag, rdr2 just has better animations, euphoria and hit reactions than vanilla gta5, the moment you shot with the gun, the input lag is not a factor anymore, just the reactions and animations you see from the enemies, and those were better, full stop.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Of course is not intentional and they can do better, but if at launch the game has input lag i'm not gonna cry as loud as some other people.

Like i said, if we can have their weighty animations with max payne 3 gameplay it would be glorious.
That said, I would definitely love a Killzone collection. Looking back, the setting and art design was really cool. I also loved the maps and sort of post-apocalyptic space sci-fi mix. There's 0 chance they go back to the series after the success of Horizon but why not re-release those old classics? Especially now at 4K and up to 120fps on PS5.

Those games hold up great visually. Maybe redo some texture work and you're good to go.

Movement in RDR2 worked great for what they set out to do. It's perfect. Even the mission system was fine even if narrowly focused.

GTA 6 will probably offer more refinements from V. Sorry, you won't move like Spider-Man but it'll most likely be a bit faster paced.

GymWolf

That said, I would definitely love a Killzone collection. Looking back, the setting and art design was really cool. I also loved the maps and sort of post-apocalyptic space sci-fi mix. There's 0 chance they go back to the series after the success of Horizon but why not re-release those old classics? Especially now at 4K and up to 120fps on PS5.

Those games hold up great visually. Maybe redo some texture work and you're good to go.
I edited my post because i feel like we didn't understood each other.

I didn't said that input lag is what make the gunplay meatier.

Not releasing kz2 or bloodborne remaster is just sony hating easy money.

Better make 5 new gaas instead.

Last edited:
Some good points here but let me raise another one: Challenge. GTA5 basically played itself. Just remember how hard some of the stuff in the old GTAs was (e.g. races in San Andreas). Getting 100% in that game was an actual accomplishment. I don't really see it changing with how important the casuals are which makes me sad.

RDR2 had horrible quest limitations that really brought it down for me.

Don't shoot up there, park the wagon here, etc. that seemed completely opposite from the game outside of missions.
The worst part about it is that you're forced to play with the mini map. At least GTA 4 had in world markers to walk to. I find that much more immersive than having to stare at a mini map.

I think the GTA6 gameplay is going to be a cross bewteen the two games. They already said that you can keep body armor and weapons in the trunk of your car just like the horse. Only I think there will be less animation involved. The trunk may just op open with a button press. Either way will be fine for me. I don't mind the longer, immersive animations.

wvnative

RDR2 is their best playing game, so yeah that would be good.

GTA V...ehh it's too aged so that would disappoint.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They need to stop with the annoying "this action makes you watch a 20 second animation" thing, like yesterday

I don't know what you kids are huffing these days, but GTA games have all had a very similar type of controls/gameplay that hasn't really changed much at all since 3. Besides updating to use newer controllers.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't want them to go down the realism path.

For example, I don't want to worry about feeding my character, taking a shower, my car running out of fuel and having to fill it up. This is a crime simulator, not a Tamagotchi.

Top Bottom