• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a bad game [very long rant]

Roto13

I finally started this a few days ago and made it to about half way through the third mission before quitting because I just wasn't enjoying it at all. Bullet time used to be interesting but it's not any more. I found Max to be annoying. I'd play the PC version if someone released a mod replacing all of his shitty monologue with more overt whining. "This music suuuuuucccckkss I hate it heeeerreeeee!" "Stop looking for colllectibbbblllllessss, let's gooooooooooooooo"

Sakujou

Banned
Wow, finally played mp3 and read everything and i have to say, after reading this all, i completely agree. But also i have to admit, the things i loved about max payne1+2 went down to the sewers with 3.

But i also have to admit, i can remember how people shittalked about part two, how poorly executed that game was and how short this game was. Also they didnt add anything to the sequel.

I enjoyed1-2totally, struggled to like three but it was mainly because of the last stand, the graphic problems i had with the pc i played this game, automatic saving, and the stupid cutscenes.

Such a shame to waste this awesome ip. I think rockstar tried something with the mp instead of focussing on the single player.

Also bullettime was really poorly executed or it didnt work out well at all. Throwing the film noir which made this franchise so great was the worst part...

Max Payne 3 is an excellent game. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The shooting mechanics are fucking awesome as are all the cool forced bullet time action sequences. The story is great too. It's my favorite game in the series and one of the greatest third person shooters ever made.

Zep

Banned
Max Payne 3 is an excellent game. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The shooting mechanics are fucking awesome as are all the cool forced bullet time action sequences. The story is great too. It's my favorite game in the series and one of the greatest third person shooters ever made.

You were a fine choice to make a member. You get it.

Erban1

Agreed...God I hope rockstar at least uses the shooting engine from here again. Such great gunplay. More shooters need to revolve around mobility like this, a great game amidst a sea of cover shooters

Agreed...God I hope rockstar at least uses the shooting engine from here again. Such great gunplay. More shooters need to revolve around mobility like this, a great game amidst a sea of cover shooters
Indeed. My biggest disappointment was finding out gta5 wasn't going to play like max Payne 3 as far as the shooting goes. They really made it feel awesome and dynamic. And don't get me started on the awesome ability to slow down the death shots and continue firing more rounds as the bastards go down lol. Brilliant

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I finally started this a few days ago and made it to about half way through the third mission before quitting because I just wasn't enjoying it at all. Bullet time used to be interesting but it's not any more. I found Max to be annoying. I'd play the PC version if someone released a mod replacing all of his shitty monologue with more overt whining. "This music suuuuuucccckkss I hate it heeeerreeeee!" "Stop looking for colllectibbbblllllessss, let's gooooooooooooooo"

Bullet time is still interesting, it's just Rockstar didn't use it effectively (unless you played the multiplayer, but last I checked that's dead on PS3 and I dunno about PC so effectively... pointless), because Euphoria gets in the way of the action half the time to where bullet-time stops and screws you over.

Like the top of the page mentioned not being able to jump through glass and stuff like that. I've had that shit happen to me repeatedly to where I just said "screw it" and stayed in cover instead of trying to play it like a Max Payne title.

Pax Mayne 3 maybe Rockstars attempt at trying to make Pax their own, but it certainly ain't a Max Payne nor Max. Remedy or bust when it comes to the series it seems.

RobertM

Max Payne 3 is a bad game now? All that fun I had with it was a lie? Damn.
You know how Jeff Cannata always talks about a game being "more fun than it is good", well that applies in your situation. It's a poorly designed, poorly written, and poorly executed game. If we look at the way the gameplay flows- going from shooting 5 guys to a cutscense and repeating that pattern over and over- it's easy to see how a lot of people can be turned off by that. The character himself becomes ridiculously stupid throughout the game. The hostages are being held inside of the building? Let me just casually walk in. The game is riddled with bad character interaction and dialogue, it's just a mindless shooter at this point. What sort of message do you get out of this game?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You know how Jeff Cannata always talks about a game being "more fun than it is good", well that applies in your situation. It's a poorly designed, poorly written, and poorly executed game. If we look at the way the gameplay flows- going from shooting 5 guys to a cutscense and repeating that pattern over and over- it's easy to see how a lot of people can be turned off by that. The character himself becomes ridiculously stupid throughout the game. The hostages are being held inside of the building? Let me just casually walk in. The game is riddled with bad character interaction and dialogue, it's just a mindless shooter at this point. What sort of message do you get out of this game?

Except MP3 is neither poorly designed or poorly executed. I'll give you that some of the writing is bad but Max himself and his character arc in 3 was fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

gabbo

Agreed. Great OP and I feel the same way on most their points. MP3 is just a mediocre game.

Agreed. It's not the worst TPS ever, but it's a terrible Max Payne.
The writing and cut scenes were basically unbearable by the end. I wanted Max to get his tongue cut out just so he'd shut up. Hell, by the end, I was hoping, hoping he'd die, you know, to justify all the shit he went through and did. Give it some greater weight/meaning, but I didn't even get that, :(.

I liked some of the changes, like lying prone if you fall and shooting from your stomach back before getting up. On the other hand, constantly hitting things and just dropping like a stone made me hate using bullet time unless I was taking pot shots from a distance with a scope.

It was a Rockstar game in all the ways that MP1 and 2 were not.

ZehDon

Agreed. It's not the worst TPS ever, but it's a terrible Max Payne...
That's really the sticking point, as far as I'm concerned. Max Payne 3 had solid shooting mechanics and decent visuals and audio... but just about everything else felt wrong. It was apparent to me from the beginning of the game that Rockstar were set on making sure Max Payne was theirs now, and that they'd do whatever they wanted. And that would have been fine, except they literally ripped off every single facet of 'Man on Fire', and Tony Scott's epileptic directorial style. Rockstar stole every single facet of that film for this game. And none of it fits with the games, tone and narrative that have come before. One of the rare games that I just couldn't stomach.

wizzbang

Banned
I would estimate I am 1/2 way through the game, I just started the game tonight.
I've been gaming now for, well I guess over 30 years (but heavy gaming for 25)

I love posts like the OP, "Max Payne 3 is a bad game" - it's ridiculous hyperbole like this which let Brad Shoemaker love Mass Effect 3, because people whinge and bitch about the tiniest things and your expectations become so low you expect crap.

I can god damn assure anyone who is reading this thread and hasn't played Max Payne 3, it is leaps and motherfucking bounds from being "a bad game" - it's way WAY more "Max Payne-ey" than I expected, the story is THICK and fucking rich in this, told very well, constantly, it's almost like playing through an action movie. Very cinematic. Reminding me of Uncharted and other story rich games.

The gunplay is similar to MP1 and 2 so far, the graphics are great, nope overall this is a pretty great game at least so far. Unless something dire happens in the next half of the game, I can't see me disliking it at all. (I'm up to the part where
the cops have attacked the main dudes business and I have to guide some chump to a server room
so far it's been honestly really fun.)
If Max Payne 3 is a "bad game" god help this industry, because I must've played the worst game ever made 15 times over based on sentences like that.

omonimo

Banned
I never touched the third chapter but I don't think this series was that better, especially from the second. Well, maybe the first deserves to be prized, because was enough long & various; I appreciate too the bullet time but I remember the sequel was incredibly disappointing for me. I found it too much short & bland.

bidguy

Banned
I would estimate I am 1/2 way through the game, I just started the game tonight.

I love posts like the OP, "Max Payne 3 is a bad game" - it's ridiculous hyperbole like this which let Brad Shoemaker love Mass Effect 3, because people whinge and bitch about the tiniest things and your expectations become so low you expect crap.

I can god damn assure anyone who is reading this thread and hasn't played Max Payne 3, it is leaps and motherfucking bounds from being "a bad game" - it's way WAY more "Max Payne-ey" than I expected, the story is THICK and fucking rich in this, told very well, constantly, it's almost like playing through an action movie. Very cinematic. Reminding me of Uncharted and other story rich games.

The gunplay is similar to MP1 and 2 so far, the graphics are great, nope overall this is a pretty great game at least so far. Unless something dire happens in the next half of the game, I can't see me disliking it at all. (I'm up to the part where
the cops have attacked the main dudes business and I have to guide some chump to a server room
If Max Payne 3 is a "bad game" god help this industry, because I must've played the worst game ever made 15 times over based on sentences like that.

i feel the same but the atmosphere didnt do it for me. i wanted the dirty streets of hoboken instead got sunshineland sao paolo. dont get me wrong it looked fantastic but it was nothing like the previous games.

best chapters in this game are the flashback levels. wish they would make another game about the time between max 2 and 3.

loved it though and played through every mode even hardcore new york minute.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i feel the same but the atmosphere didnt do it for me. i wanted the dirty streets of hoboken instead got sunshineland sao paolo. dont get me wrong it looked fantastic but it was nothing like the previous games.

best chapters in this game are the flashback levels. wish they would make another game about the time between max 2 and 3.

loved it though and played through every mode even hardcore new york minute.

Precinct for me. Max in a suit going all Terminator on the bad guys? One of the best levels in the entire series.

Yup. I said it.

EDIT: One of these days, Mess old bean, I'll give you a blow by blow counter argument :)

My experience with it was nowhere as bad as OP's, but I have to admit what kept me going was more due to the production values than it being a fun game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I bought it for $4 for the hell of it during the sale.

But I haven't installed it because 30 fucking GB. THIRTY GIGABYTES? That's TWICE as big as my biggest Steam game. How the hell can a game be that big unless the developer is using super high resolution uncompressed BMP files for its textures. Steam estimates about 8 hours to download. Fuck that. I'll wait until I have a Steam Machine. Thirty gigabytes my ass.

But I haven't installed it because 30 fucking GB. THIRTY GIGABYTES? That's TWICE as big as my biggest Steam game. How the hell can a game be that big unless the developer is using super high resolution uncompressed BMP files for its textures. Steam estimates about 8 hours to download. Fuck that. I'll wait until I have a Steam Machine. Thirty gigabytes my ass.

Uncompressed video cutscenes -- enjoy a bluerays worth of in engine uncompressed cutscenes. Also this thread has been massively necroed, just saying.

Hindle

Banned
Max Payne 3 basically summarises Rockstar for the 360/PS3 era. They've spent the entire gen releasing mostly pretentious, boring games that become tedious to play. (GTA IV, Red Dead, LA Noire) The fact they made a shooter where the the mechanics work against you just takes the piss.

If it wasn't for GTA V, they'd have been among my most disappointing developers. I'm optimistic that V represents them returning to the days when they were about fun gameplay.

Glad someone else really likes this game. And the two best chapters are still ahead of you.

GuessWho

basically why I never bought it. At regular price or at $4. Completely ridiculous.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Game was great, got about halfway through the OP before it appeared to be trolling.

Using the force unleashed as a good example of....... ANYTHING is just clear trolling

Well Force Unleashed did have one of the most effective playable demos in gaming history, imo. Completely fooled a lot of people. Total fools gold.

GutsOfThor

I agree with the OP. Such a failure after the awesome 1 and 2. Story was shitty, gunplay was shitty and I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. After I completed it I went back and played the second one to clear my mind of what was such a terrible fucking game.

Perkel

Banned
Got it for 1.99€

this shit isn't worth 1.99€ or 0.99€

its fucking garbage. From cutscenes that non stop use this drunk kind off effects which is super annoying to uninteresting character and story.

But what ticked me most was gameplay design. Non stop corridor shooter with few scenes where you could walk a little. Fuck in that club scene at the beggining Max auto jumps through window. Why the fuck i can't do it ? And game is filled with those scenes where everthing is put into auto mode.

Max Payne 1 and 2 is leagues better than MP3 even now in therms of gameplay.

Only good part about MP3 is enemy reaction to getting shot which is stellar everything else is just sub par.

fastmower

Just got it on the stream holiday sale. I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 and I really was prepared to enjoy this entry. Unfortunately, the writing and cut scenes are annoying me, the shooting doesn't feel as awesome as I was expecting, and the level design doesn't work for me. I'm sad because I wanted to be apart of the crowd that loved this game but I just don't see that happening.

Sojgat

I really don't like this game, but I have played it Soooooo much. There has got to be something to that. The gameplay has a certain quality, even if it's constantly almost collapsing under the weight of everything it does wrong. Am I just addicted to how pretty everything looks when you shoot it in the face? Is it just Euphoria or is there more to Max Payne 3's gameplay loop than I am consciously aware of?

Unskippable cutscenes - Horrible
Characterization and story - Suck
(Apart from the the free aim) Controls - Terribad
Scripted events - Awful
Enemy variety - Poor
Encounter design - Ranges from ok to shitful

Yet I downloaded the on demand version so I could easily play the game more often without having to swap discs all the time (360). Even when that went haywire for some reason, and I had to delete the installed game, I just went back to playing off disc, and watching TV during the cutscenes.

What is your dark magic Max Payne 3? Curse you!

Only good part about MP3 is enemy reaction to getting shot which is stellar everything else is just sub par.

It probably really just is this. Me am like shoot things, pretty! I'm going to bed....

MMaRsu

Banned
Max Payne 3 basically summarises Rockstar for the 360/PS3 era. They've spent the entire gen releasing mostly pretentious, boring games that become tedious to play. (GTA IV, Red Dead, LA Noire) The fact they made a shooter where the the mechanics work against you just takes the piss.

If it wasn't for GTA V, they'd have been among my most disappointing developers. I'm optimistic that V represents them returning to the days when they were about fun gameplay.

Sorry what mechanics work against you in mp3?

People who say the gunplay is worse than mp2 and mp1 are just flat out wrong.

Unskippable cutscenes - these are indeed horrible
Characterization and story - Worse than 1 & 2 in every way
(Apart from the the free aim) Controls - why play anything else than free aim? Controls are great.
Scripted events - A cool way to show off awesome moments
Enemy variety - Just as in mp1 & 2, you shoot people. What variety do you need?
Encounter design - only a handful of annoying ones

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Max Payne 2 is one of my all time favourite games, but even I can see that the gunplay in MP3 is arguably the best in any TPS, let alone the series. I find describing it as "shitty" is a little disingenuous.

MP3 gets a unnecessarily hard time on here, probably because of the high pedigree of the prequels.

wwm0nkey

I still really enjoyed the game
Now what to me was a HUGE mistake was the MP. It could have been great and was so close. The slow motion cone system was genius and finally allowed for real time slowmo in a MP game. What ruined it all was the loadouts, MP would have been great if weapons were on map rather than spawning with a damn grenade launcher.

If they could remake F.E.A.R 1 with the cone system for slow motion I would be so look happy.

Hindle

Banned
Sorry what mechanics work against you in mp3?

People who say the gunplay is worse than mp2 and mp1 are just flat out wrong.

The way the physics and gunplay combine is annoying. You're in cover and you dive out shooting only to collide with any scenery in your way. It disrupts your momentum and makes every encounter a chore.

Combined with the unskippabe cutscenes and you've got a game that's very poor.

MMaRsu

Banned
The way the physics and gunplay combine is annoying. You're in cover and you dive out shooting only to collide with any scenery in your way. It disrupts your momentum and makes every encounter a chore.

Combined with the unskippabe cutscenes and you've got a game that's very poor.

Dont jump headfirst into obstructions then.

Top Bottom