• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy with Short 5 hours AAA games/episodes each year if it reduces dev time?

would you like shorter games if they release quickly?

• YES

Votes: 88 33.6%
  • No

Votes: 174 66.4%

• Total voters

rkofan87

Gold Member
This is how I'd expect this to go with God of War as an example:

Sony: "Hey guys we know the economy is in a tough spot right now, so here's GoW for only $50!"

God of War part 1 - initial release $50
God of War part 2 - 6 months later $50
God of War part 3 - 6 months later $50
God of War part 4 - 6 months later $50
oh god hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buenoblue

No I'm good as it is. I can't even keep up with game releases as it is. I've only just got round to playing starfield 😂.

Plus I made a thread a few months ago about the joy of replaying games. Especially on new or more powerful hardware. I spend quite a bit of time playing games tired after work or a long day so replaying them is nice to take it all in properly.

And so many people don't even finish games. And have huge backlogs. There's plenty of games. New isn't always better. Just play and enjoy ☺️

MiguelItUp

Depends. If it's a shorter campaign but has multiplayer, coop, or other modes tacked on adding more game. I'd be more than okay. Like what games used to be. Nowadays you're lucky if a AAA game has any other replayable modes that aren't just the campaign. Until DOOM 2016 it was only COD games that did that. Well, and Battlefields when they started adding campaigns. I just wish it was more common these days as it really makes a game feel like an entire package IMO.

Lupin25

No. But you are onto something OP.

With that said, I would rather devs have a smaller AA game in between big AAA releases.

Every huge dev should have a standalone, 8-10 hr Lost Legacy/Miles Morales-esque title ready to drop every 2-3 years.

Ozzie666

Reminds me of Wing Commander Prohpecy, which wasn't great.

This type of approach just screams subscription service model.

Pimpbaa

Not at 70 dollars. Plus that would be something I could finish in a few nights. No way, I want something to last me a while. Just do better than Ubisoft however.

Roxkis_ii

I wouldn't mind shorter games if they were priced appropriately and self-contained. The last Valkyrie Profile game was a good example of that. Short and sweet at $40. You can't beat that deal with a stick.

I don't think episodic games are a good idea business wise tho, as the second episode will be limited to the audience of the first one. Self-contained with a sequel if it's popular is probably the way.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its not going to work with the majority of narrative games outside of episodic horror, telltales game or life is strange like games.

Imagine you are required to play and finish 4 episodes of TLOU 3 , people are going to drop their interest fast.

Last edited:

reezoo

Majority of game development times and resources goes into getting first few hours into desired state rest of the game is usually streamlined process of first few hours are sorted, so this isn’t going to help developers in any meaning full way.

The theoretical is yes: A game served piecemeal with episodes that add up to 69.99 in price

The execution/reality is no: A game served piecemeal where each episode costs 50-70 each. Another way for devs to sell you their 150.00 and up games they so desperately have been wanting to.

makaveli60

If the negative aspect is only that they would be shorter then I would prefer it (if they are also a bit cheaper, like ps4 gen prices). Some games are just too long nowadays. It’s only ok if it’s long with quality content but if they are just filled with copy paste content then they should be shorter

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Attention spans will drop between episodes. Can you imagine the mess if every company started doing this? Will you ever find your way back to the game? I see many episode ones started, episode 2's left in the dust, no episode 3's, leading to Shenmue across the entirety of the gaming industry.
Isn't this what killed Telltale?

Last edited:
Yes. We need to go back to shorter dev cycles. Gaming was better when the release cycles were only 1-3 years. Most of the dev time can be cut if devs stopped focusing so much on graphics and cinematics, tacked on online features and other bloat that just bogs down modern games anyway.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’d rather wait for the full experience. It’s not like there are no other games to play.

But, I would like developers to add more player choice to AAA games to improve replay value. Lately, Stella Blade added a fairly substantial section that you didn’t even need to play, but added to the story in a small way. More like this would be great.

Astral Dog

Im not sure i would bite at 5 hours for $70 most people won't

However, there is a problem imo with modern games where they focus on more content than good design im talking specially open world games are becoming bloated and derivative,im not a fan of that approach (though its successful) my favorite games are either Metroidvania like or mostly linear

Hydroxy

Yes absolutely. I think 5-10 hour games are perfect. I'm not talking about rpgs obviously but about single player shooters, action adventures etc.

I would be more tham happy if AAA games find more innovative ways to play. We live in a time where games are photorealistic but mechanics that date back decades. Is there no other measurement to extend time other than chasing XP bars or having a large open world with 10 billion fetch quests just to extend the time?

Frwrd

Sport Fuck Them GIF by UFC

Tchnology will end up solving this one for us.

Investment in AI will continue to increase and capabilities will improve. Thus, output will increase.

Sure, some jobs will be lost along the way, but if it normalizes development time back to 3 to 4 years versus whatever it is now, the industry will be better off for it.

saintjules

At this point in life I wouldn't mind a 8-12 hour experience of a game. I've been semi retiring games for a while now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, I want the vast majority of studios to stop trying to push the graphics envelope. Leave that to people like Rockstar who have money fountains to support it, and have your games look "fine".

It took them 5 years to make Elden Ring, a 60, 80, 120 whatever hour game, and for 2 of those years they were still finishing Sekiro. I needn't remind anyone how long it took Ninja Theory to make a 5 hours game that looked really nice.

Art direction >>> graphical fidelity.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd rather have big studios scale down in graphics to shorten dev-times, instead of play time.

kyussman

No,not a fan.Why do games have to be short or hundreds of hours long.......why can't we just get some AAA quality 15hr games,I guess these used to be called AA......have modern gamers really abandoned any interest in such games?All PlayStation have to do is make games similar to the ones they are currently making but cut out narrative elements and the hours and hours of cut scenes and focus on gameplay.

Yes, I absolutely want them to make shorter games. The moment you become an adult with real world responsibilities, you can't do gaming for 100 hrs a week like a teenager can. However I recognise the need for the industry to make money. They need to adopt a range of progressive pricing options that's reflective of the value being offered.

You can't be charging $60+ for 5 hour games. Shouldn't cost a penny more than $30 imho. 12 hrs+ can be $40-ish, 25 hrs+ can be $60 and juggernauts should be $70.

I'd happy pay $20-30 for a 5 hrs game, and pay additional for extra, meaningful DLC - not microtransactions.

So it's like you're funding the development of a game that would usually take 5+ yrs to make, you get to experience something new from it every year. Devs and publishers get money, gamers can play and everybody lives happily ever after. 🤣

EDIT: Devs can save tons of money is they stop hiring the same 10 voice actors all the time and bringing in Grammy-winning actors for their games. Stop the Cap!

Last edited:
If the content is a 5 hour game and its price reflects that, why not. Most games today are anyway 10-20h but inflated with 20+h of filler open world garbage. 10-20h should be a nice length for most games, but if the story allows episodic cliffhanger breaks, spreading it out might work. But neither HL nor Sin nor Telltale stuff really worked out that great in the end. Sin was not very good anyway, HL3 never happened because of the episodic format and Telltale tanked with too many episodic things on their plate (probably their engines fault but no one copied them either). But GaaS and their seasons are anyway already something like this, just for MP, and oldskool linear SP is in almost no game used anymore. I don't think they come back anytime soon.

Top Bottom