• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Supposedly Okada got 13.5 million dollar deal for three years. Jesus Christ.

Debunked

In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reported that the Tokyo Sports report about Okada signing a three-year deal for 2 billion yen ($13.5 million) over the course of the period of the contract with the average of $4.5 million annually is not accurate.

What is accurate is the three-year length. Meltzer added that “the real number is considerably lower, but it was still a very large number that he signed for.

NickFire

He for sure will be entertaining and put on the kind of matches that AEW fans, TK, and Meltzer want to see. I'm just not convinced that he'll put more butts in seats than they already have. Even in Japan, he had a spotty drawing record.

Most probably don't care, but the declining attendance, ratings, and constant need to "reset" or "restore the feeling" is interesting to me.

He was good at sending Japanese crowds home happy at the end of the show, especially when he would speak Japanese. Aside from that, whenever it would come to the actual promotion/selling/building heat part, he really isn't very good. A lot of great matches though.
Well, maybe he will surprise everyone with unexpected promo skills or get tied to someone with them. I hope so because great matches will only take them so far in terms of ratings and attendance. And IMO, they desperately need better ratings and attendance so they make more money to invest into presentation and creative aspects of their shows. Unless they are comfortable being the glorified VFW show, or WWE retirement home that is.

Well, maybe he will surprise everyone with unexpected promo skills or get tied to someone with them. I hope so because great matches will only take them so far in terms of ratings and attendance. And IMO, they desperately need better ratings and attendance so they make more money to invest into presentation and creative aspects of their shows. Unless they are comfortable being the glorified VFW show, or WWE retirement home that is.
Yeah he's had plenty of time off to work on it so we'll see.

dave_d

Well apparently Kevin Kelly was fired

I'd just like to say "Tony, you don't have to do more to convince to not watch your show, you're doing a great job of that already."

Well apparently Kevin Kelly was fired

I'd just like to say "Tony, you don't have to do more to convince to not watch your show, you're doing a great job of that already."

Pretty interesting story. He was great for New Japan from 2016 to 2019, but he really had not been doing a good job since COVID hit.

Then AEW picks him up over the summer and he claims to have tripled his salary. I've read mixed reactions from AEW fans, but it seemed like it was going good for Kevin until he decided to go off on Riccaboni (who apparently helped Kevin get the AEW job in the first place) and threaten a libel suit against him on the day of Sting's retirement.

And now he's gone. Wild.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Is AEW a good show? They'll be here for a local show at some point soonish and I was thinking maybe.

I havent really watched wrestling since the mid 2000s and never live lol.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is AEW a good show? They'll be here for a local show at some point soonish and I was thinking maybe.

From what I've heard:
It's a very long event as they tape multiple shows
It's very expensive
The wrestling isn't going to be like what you remember

AEW is really popular with AEW fans but it's not doing too well outside of that. You may love it or you may hate it. Scroll up for a video where Al Snow says someone will die in an AEW ring sooner or later because they do a lot of unnecessary and unsafe stuff.

Kacho

Yeah give it a shot. I went to the Revolution PPV and it was dope. Granted that was a PPV with the main draw being Sting, but the matches were fun to watch live and the crowd was into it.

Be prepared to encounter an army of socially awkward neckbeards at an AEW show. I've never seen anything like it at other sporting events.

NickFire

Definitely looking forward to not hearing about her.
I was interested and watched her entrance and promo. It was not a great promo IMO. I am not giving up hope that she might add another interesting dynamic to the women's division once she gets her feet back under her yet. But the first impression wasn't great. And the first storyline is yawn. I don't understand why they didn't bring BB out to object to the attention and claim she's the boss. They could go at each other for months without a title being needed to keep it interesting.

Dthomp

It'll depend on the show that you are getting in your area. I went to the Rampage show and Full Gear when it was in MPLS, Rampage was just filler and random fun, PPV was a great time. Show isn't for everyone, and like was said, they are crazy overpriced compared to when WWE comes to town. If it's Dynamite buy right before the show when they run better prices to fill in all the empty seats. I wouldn't go to a free show of Rampage, and Collision would heavily depend on who was advertised (if they actually advertised matches/talent)

I was interested and watched her entrance and promo. It was not a great promo IMO. I am not giving up hope that she might add another interesting dynamic to the women's division once she gets her feet back under her yet. But the first impression wasn't great. And the first storyline is yawn. I don't understand why they didn't bring BB out to object to the attention and claim she's the boss. They could go at each other for months without a title being needed to keep it interesting.

That's why I never understood why people thought she can move the needle. She was ALWAYS bad on the mic, and all she ever excelled at was rag dolling around because of how small she is. She's a less talented Kairi and likely has the same promo ability...in English.

dave_d

Just as a heads up if you were thinking of listening to Jim Cornette to figure out if you should go to AEW you need to remember something. About 80-90% of what he's saying is for show and about 10-20% is legit criticism. (I say that as someone that gave up on AEW and occasionally listens to Cornette.)

dave_d

That's why I never understood why people thought she can move the needle. She was ALWAYS bad on the mic, and all she ever excelled at was rag dolling around because of how small she is. She's a less talented Kairi and likely has the same promo ability...in English.
I don't get her either. I mean she pretty much stayed at the same level while she was at the WWE and quite a few of the women blew by her. Hell, if she was still in WWE she wouldn't be in the top 5 most over women. Let's see, at this point I'd say Rhea, Becky, Charlotte, Bianca, and Bailey would all be ahead of her in the fans eyes if she was still there. (Come to think of Asuka would be too, and Iyo and Raquelle would be passing her soon if she was still there. I guess she'd still be ahead of Naomi though.)

NickFire

I'm glad they brought back the old theme. This segment would have worked better with audience booing but who can blame them. Maybe it should have happened at some other city.

Nah. He should stay himself in every city. It’s fun hearing the crowd go back and forth. It’s like the second level tantrum for the crybabies playing out in real time.

dave_d

I'm glad they brought back the old theme. This segment would have worked better with audience booing but who can blame them. Maybe it should have happened at some other city.

After I watched that all I one thing that popped into my mind is that Rock is just so many levels above Joe Hendry when Hendry tries to do the same thing.(That was good, the last one Hendry tried to do I only made it about 10 seconds before I started to fast forward it.)

After I watched that all I one thing that popped into my mind is that Rock is just so many levels above Joe Hendry when Hendry tries to do the same thing.(That was good, the last one Hendry tried to do I only made it about 10 seconds before I started to fast forward it.)
It was pretty impressive even by his standards. He carried a 20 minute segment basically solo and got the reaction he wanted from the crowd the whole time going from cheers to laughs to boos back to cheers.

As a bonus, he actually remembered the promotion part of a promo and sold sold his WM matches, unlike what we see from most other supposedly great modern promos.

VulcanRaven

Nah. He should stay himself in every city. It’s fun hearing the crowd go back and forth. It’s like the second level tantrum for the crybabies playing out in real time.
I'm sure most Cody fans are liking this. Heel Rock is great. This feud makes me want to see Rock vs Cody more than Roman vs Cody.

I'm sure most Cody fans are liking this. Heel Rock is great. This feud makes me want to see Rock vs Cody more than Roman vs Cody.
I wonder which way they go after WM in the build to SummerSlam. Seems like we could see either Rock/Roman after a backstabbing or Rock/Cody if Cody wins night 2 and Rock challenges for the title.

VulcanRaven

I wonder which way they go after WM in the build to SummerSlam. Seems like we could see either Rock/Roman after a backstabbing or Rock/Cody if Cody wins night 2 and Rock challenges for the title.
I don't think Summerslam match is likely. Apparently Rock is filming a movie from May to August.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Wrestling YouTube is so fucking weird lol

"10 Wrestlemania moments that were never supposed to happen"

" #1 - Shane McMahon tears his quad"

No fucking shit it wasn't supposed to happen.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I don't get her either. I mean she pretty much stayed at the same level while she was at the WWE and quite a few of the women blew by her. Hell, if she was still in WWE she wouldn't be in the top 5 most over women. Let's see, at this point I'd say Rhea, Becky, Charlotte, Bianca, and Bailey would all be ahead of her in the fans eyes if she was still there. (Come to think of Asuka would be too, and Iyo and Raquelle would be passing her soon if she was still there. I guess she'd still be ahead of Naomi though.)

Don't you dare forget the most over woman other then maybe Rhea, and it's TIFFY TIME!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
NXT Battleground and Raw the next day are going to be in my neck of the woods. I'm considering going. I haven't been to a raw in probably 20 years lol. Never seen an nxt show. I wouldn't mind seeing Mami in the muscular, goth flesh...

dave_d

NXT Battleground and Raw the next day are going to be in my neck of the woods. I'm considering going. I haven't been to a raw in probably 20 years lol. Never seen an nxt show. I wouldn't mind seeing Mami in the muscular, goth flesh...
Cool, if you're going to bring a sign I'd like to suggest the following

"Cody Crybabies drive the speed limit in the passing lane."

Soodanim

Gold Member
Do it! WWE is in a good place, and that's not always guaranteed. Take advantage of the opportunity.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Hate to agree with Al

I mean people have died in a WWE ring. I think that is why the Hardy's were upset when Sammy broke Jeff's nose. Hopefully nothing happens in AEW but I think some of the stuff they do is unwise. Part of why some of them had a fallout with Punk, he wanted them to work a little smarter on some things. "real Glass" and all that.

Hopefully no one falls to their death at a PPV and they just go on with the show.

Wrestling journalism strikes again.

I wonder if Meltzer even has any notable sources left in WWE. It would make sense if he doesn't since he keeps missing on major news (like, you know, the company being sold to Endeavor and getting a Netflix deal).

IIRC, all of his known buddies (Jericho, Flair, Bucks, Omega, etc.) are in AEW.

Last edited:

Kings Field

I hope Roman retains at Mania. The backlash would be legendary.

Dirty Dom is my favorite wrestler in a long time. The heat he has from the fans is hilarious and it seems he’s working back into a Rey storyline which was my favorite in years.

adamsapple

Should Have Been GIF

I was behind on all the AEW and to a lesser extent WWE for all of this year, and finally just speedran the rest of the content to catch up. So random thoughts in no particular order:

Kevin Kelly? Was he the guy who said "Happy wrestling" at the end of the show? If so, good riddance... otherwise.... Sound of Freedom, right-wing conspiracies? Sounds like my kind of guy, fuck you Tony Khan you communist.

Tiger Driver 91s, and Darby Allin trying to kill himself? Look man, it's not like I want these guys to hurt themselves, or take 'unnecessary' risks... but god damn if it doesn't make for good TV... When the moves are super safe, and, slow, and unathletic... my attention can really wander if they're not just killing it on the story elements. And most of the story elements suck right now...

Ospreay!! Opsreay!! Very engaging matches... I love the "bruv", theme music is good... he doesn't really seem like he fits in with the Don Callus Family at the moment so hopefully they do something good story-wise, but easily my favorite wrestler at the moment.

Okada on the other hand, not feeling it. I know he has a strong power level but his matches haven't been that exciting... and ya drag over these dudes from Japan who don't really speak English and it's just like.. whatever... I mean there was that other Japanese dude who Bryan Danielson just had a match with whose name I never remember... and sometimes there's that old angry Japanese dude who doesn't like sportsmanship or whatever and yeah... just none of it lands with me. Konsuke can at least look like a cunt while Don Callus acts like an asshole next to him so it kind of works but it's still not amazing. Over in WWE land heel Nakamura and the stupid subtitle promos about teaching people lessons about themselves or whatever also isn't very interesting.

Speaking of Bryan Danielson.. I haven't developed much fondness for him either. Too much holds chops and kicks I guess... I don't know. I know everyone says he's amazing and all that... but I'm optimistic since he's going against BRUV come next PPV. Should be a good time. Oh.. and did I miss something... didn't the BCC give Eddie Kingston respect after the end of that dumb tournament...? Then they just went back to Eddie Kingston is a bum (correct, he is a bum), disrespect, and Eddie Kingston wins the handshake... that I thought he already got at the end of the tournament. Did my brain glitch or was this an actual timewarp. Either way the only thing I kind of like about Eddie is the Castlevania style music he comes out to. Oh, and he dropped his title to Okada. Lol. Wait didn't he have like three titles?

WWE pooping on my boys, the Alpha Academy. I will somewhat forgive it if Sammy Zayn gets a series of Rocky montages training with the Academy and then goes on to defeat Gunther... I shouldn't try to fantasy book anything, it's only going to end in disappointment. But they gotta treat Giga-Chad Gable better ffs.

Revolution was much much better than Elimination Chamber. They really screwed Australia in my opinion. I barely even know who uhhh Pete Dunne's tag partner was before they were getting a PLE title shot... I assume this is something I had to watch NXT to follow. That dude was introduced to me as Butch. IT'S FIGHT NIGGHHHHT! and he had like two episodes with the other guy who I don't know, I just know he's not that Ridge Holland loser... and actually he was totally fine and they seem like a swell tag-team... but ya got that.. ya had two Elimination Chamber matches which... I think that format really sucks... I guess I have only seen it two years running now... and this one wasn't even as good as the previous one.... Tiffy Time was fun... she also kind of came out of nowhere.. or maybe not, maybe I just skipped too much women's wrestling... it often gets the fast-forward button...

Speaking of which... Rhea Ripley vs disgusting fat lady main event... boo. Rhea's great and all but... sheeesh... and then I think they had disgusting fat lady vs Bekcy Lynch as a Raw main event a week or two back. No thanks to any of that. I do love Otis, and Bronson Reed... so maybe I'm just extra sexist but I don't think disgusting fat lady brings anything to the table.

Cody/Rock/Roman it's all kinda poop. The segments are watchable but it's just all too dragged out for me at this point. And the Rock really didn't need to show up. But hopefully they can surprise me with something cool come Mania.

I wish Roderick Strong was still coming out to End of Heartache. And is Adam Cole Baybay gonna finally get back to the ring soon, sheesh, way too much downtime from that stupid injury. Their faction is still kinda lame... what are they again... The Kingdom?

What hell was that Bang Bang Scissor Gang shit? Rejoined the ass-boys... what was with the bit where the dude kept messing up the raps.. did they ever even bother to resolve that?

Heel Drew McIntyre is fun enough... especially when you compare him to the babyface "I'm scottish, I have a sword, and I'm retarded" version.

Rated R Superstar vs THE PATRIARCH was entertaining enough... was there a real injury reason why it wasn't on the PPV and instead we had a snoozer with Daniel Garcia? Or was it just a case of too much street fight shenanigans with the IT'S STING final match? Circling back to Darby flying off the ladder and bleeding out... I mean that whole thing was solid entertainment as well. Ya just have to accept Sting's power level enjoy the no-sells and have a good time. And I mean when you compare it to that Ric Flair final match nonsense...

I think this Mt Everest shit is the real threat to Darby's life... like yeah he flies around and does dangerous shit in wrestling but he weighs like 90lbs.. That same lack of robustness will be a liability in a mountain survival situation. Or maybe not I don't know jack shit about mountain climbing aside from knowing that people do indeed die, and other people on the climb just kind walk by your frozen body and shrug. And the sherpas probably hate all the LARPers but can't pass on a good paycheck.

I like Samoa Joe but I don't think his reign should be too much longer. Yeah I Swerve when I drive.

So overall I've still enjoyed WWE for the most part and am looking forward to Wrestlemania, and I think maybe AEW might be getting better... or maybe not

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

Reactions: RNG

NickFire

I hope Roman retains at Mania. The backlash would be legendary.

Dirty Dom is my favorite wrestler in a long time. The heat he has from the fans is hilarious and it seems he’s working back into a Rey storyline which was my favorite in years.
When Dirty Dom went at Rey last week the signs began pointing to Judgment Day and Priest having a huge weekend. I'm predicting Dom beats Rey, Rhea retains, and Priest ends up with a singles belt that he takes off either Seth or Drew.

Roman should absolutely retain his title. He is so close to Hogan's record and if he breaks it that will give the company talking points for decades to come. Keeping his streak intact also adds to the importance of every one of his matches between now and the end of summer. And, if Roman beats the Rock at Summerslam to effectively seal up the new record it would be poetic. The new generation beats the last generation to break the record of the generation that transformed pro wrestling from carnival status to the main stream. HHH would be nuts to pass up that chance now that Vince has been shown the door for good.

NickFire

Well, they brought him out in another city and found a way to get the crowd to boo him. But considering the crowd mostly cheered, and the boos rained down when he declined to say anything AT ALL, I don't think those were the boos that Cody Crybabies would have been hoping for.

NickFire

I hope AEW puts the belt on Swerve this time. Joe has been alright if I'm being honest, but there's no way this company will stop feeling like a minor league with him as champ. I also hope Swerve gets a better entrance soon.

I'm wondering what is really going on with MJF? I'm still assuming he's just recovering from injury, but if he's under contract why not use him in some capacity? I mean Adam Cole comes out in a stupid wheelchair while claiming Wardlow will just hand him the belt some day. MJF talking shit while getting a haircut would be 100 times more interesting than that boring garbage.

Perhaps he really did hit free agency. And perhaps he will be the non-bloodline member who screws over Cody.

Top Bottom