• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

dave_d

Well I guess Coffee Creamer, err I mean Tommy Dreamer calling it a key moment was right if he thinks key means stupid. (Admittedly I haven't seen it yet. What I'm hearing here makes me think it's not worth the effort.)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

GIF by Giphy QA

VulcanRaven

The footage I found on Youtube is edited. Why didn't they show the whole fight? This didn't really make Punk look that bad. We don't know exactly what was said.

Last edited:

NickFire

I don't know what is worse. The desperation of using footage that resembles the first 10 seconds of any wrestling match to try making a wrestler look bad. Or the boring show they put on despite knowing more people would be watching than normal. If someone watched AEW for the first time last night, and finished with the belief that Punk escaped from WWE's retirement home, I would completely understand their thought process.

adamsapple

I don't know what is worse. The desperation of using footage that resembles the first 10 seconds of any wrestling match to try making a wrestler look bad. Or the boring show they put on despite knowing more people would be watching than normal. If someone watched AEW for the first time last night, and finished with the belief that Punk escaped from WWE's retirement home, I would completely understand their thought process.

The audience was cheering for CM Punk after that segment. Not sure what the fuck Tony expected lol.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So it proves Mr Worker's Rights is quite happy to assault his fellow employees when they disagree with him.

Things are different in the wrestling locker room. As Maven pointed out in one of his recent videos, you can catch heat just for not shaking a wrestler's hand backstage. There's always a level of respect you need to have for wrestlers, especially the veterans.

Just imagine if Jack Perry went up to JBL, Ron Simmons, or The Undertaker and said, "If you have a problem about it, do something about it," then they would have knocked him out. lol

Methos#1975

Things are different in the wrestling locker room. As Maven pointed out in one of his recent videos, you can catch heat just for not shaking a wrestler's hand backstage. There's always a level of respect you need to have for wrestlers, especially the veterans.

Just imagine if Jack Perry went up to JBL, Ron Simmons, or The Undertaker and said, "If you have a problem about it, do something about it," then they would have knocked him out. lol
Lol Taker would of killed him. It's funny because people laugh at CM Punk when he says he was professional and just choke him but to some one as old school as him that was being professional. He is for all his warts big on tradition, he even stated in his interview that he went to the WWE show back in May because it was the respectful thing to do.

Last edited:

Kings Field

Tony was to the right behind the wall out of sight of the security camera.

This is the biggest load of shit that I’ve ever seen and was only used to garner attention to their dying company, and even that failed.

I don’t like Punk at all and even I can see it was a nothing burger and was blown out of proportion.

If this company didn’t have billionaire backing it would sink in another three-five years but Tony won’t let that happen.

dave_d

Oh you got to be F**king kidding me. The new NJPW champ is RTH, err I mean The Plumber Jon Moxley. What, wasn't the Hobo available? (He works for them btw.)

dave_d

Oh for those that didn't see it Tama Tonga debuted on Smackdown last night. Tama is of course the ADOPTED son of Haku. (I bring that up since every announcer mentioned the son of Haku without mentioning the Adopted part. He's actually Haku's wife's nephew which makes Haku sound like a pretty cool guy.)

Oh you got to be F**king kidding me. The new NJPW champ is RTH, err I mean The Plumber Jon Moxley. What, wasn't the Hobo available? (He works for them btw.)

As someone who used to wake up at 4 am Eastern to make sure I could catch every NJPW show live before work started, it's really sad to see them continue to allow AEW to take advantage of them via the "partnership."

As if it wasn't bad enough watching Tony sign away the majority of the main event talent, now New Japan cuts another Naito reign short just to hand the belt over to AEW.

Any hope I had that Tanahashi would be an effective President is pretty much gone.

dave_d

As someone who used to wake up at 4 am Eastern to make sure I could catch every NJPW show live before work started, it's really sad to see them continue to allow AEW to take advantage of them via the "partnership."

As if it wasn't bad enough watching Tony sign away the majority of the main event talent, now New Japan cuts another Naito reign short just to hand the belt over to AEW.

Any hope I had that Tanahashi would be an effective President is pretty much gone.
I'm a big enough fan of NJPW to have a subscription to NJPW World. Yeah, I'm not happy with this either.

I'm a big enough fan of NJPW to have a subscription to NJPW World. Yeah, I'm not happy with this either.
I did as well up until February. I think I officially realized it wasn't worth it anymore when they brought in Ziggler and Riddle for immediate title feuds after WK. In general, I want to see actual NJPW guys when I watch NJPW, not WWE rejects who peaked years ago.

New Japan just looks so sad and desperate throwing belts at any ex-WWE or current AEW guy who looks in their direction. They seem to have no confidence anymore in their home grown talent (Umino, Tsuji, O'Khan), nor in their own contracted westerners they could be putting belts on instead (ZSJ, Cobb, War Dogs).

Maybe they'll figure it out, but the current product is not for me.

DKehoe

I did as well up until February. I think I officially realized it wasn't worth it anymore when they brought in Ziggler and Riddle for immediate title feuds after WK. In general, I want to see actual NJPW guys when I watch NJPW, not WWE rejects who peaked years ago.

New Japan just looks so sad and desperate throwing belts at any ex-WWE or current AEW guy who looks in their direction. They seem to have no confidence anymore in their home grown talent (Umino, Tsuji, O'Khan), nor in their own contracted westerners they could be putting belts on instead (ZSJ, Cobb, War Dogs).

Maybe they'll figure it out, but the current product is not for me.
Wrestling is in a pretty rough spot these days, in my opinion. There’s not a promotion out there that’s particularly good/interesting just now. Like you say, hopefully they manage to figure it out.

Wrestling is in a pretty rough spot these days, in my opinion. There’s not a promotion out there that’s particularly good/interesting just now. Like you say, hopefully they manage to figure it out.

Yeah I had Peacock to watch WrestleMania (mostly because if Bloodline stuff) and it was pretty good. I'll be honest though, I canceled Peacock the Monday after WM.

Right now is the first time since probably 2012 I'm not subscribed to some form of westling streaming.

RavageX

I keep peacock to watch the old, old stuff that I couldn't see as a kid. Nothing new at all.

I would watch Japanese wrestling to see the different styles, it would always irritate me when focus was on us wrestlers...except the few greats. Loved seeing Hansen.

Last time I tried watching, it was over run with all sorts of other wrestlers with not a lot of Japanese talent, plus the wrestling looks lke the same shit over here....

Dthomp

I wanted to bring this up after seeing the results but glad you did. Can anybody explain to me what NJPW gets out of this "partnership" with AEW? Cause the AEW guys make them look like clowns in like 90% of the matches and the only NJPW guys who seem to win are the undercard that nobody cares about. Does Tony just pay these companies crazy amounts of money to have his guys hold their belts? Kenny with TNA, Mox with NJPW, I think Willow had one for a while. Like you have 45 belts in your own company and you are leaching off of the other feds to make your people look bigger then they are?

I looked at the card for Dynasty, and I'm sure they'll have a few "bangers", but is there any story or build to anything outside of Joe/Swerve (If you consider this anything more then extension of Hangman/Swerve). Every other match just seems like a match thrown together, I haven't caught up on the last week or so outside of that joke of a Punk thing. Good to see Punk is still the biggest draw in AEW, can't wait for Jungle Boys feud with him at.....oh

I wanted to bring this up after seeing the results but glad you did. Can anybody explain to me what NJPW gets out of this "partnership" with AEW? Cause the AEW guys make them look like clowns in like 90% of the matches and the only NJPW guys who seem to win are the undercard that nobody cares about. Does Tony just pay these companies crazy amounts of money to have his guys hold their belts? Kenny with TNA, Mox with NJPW, I think Willow had one for a while. Like you have 45 belts in your own company and you are leaching off of the other feds to make your people look bigger then they are?

I looked at the card for Dynasty, and I'm sure they'll have a few "bangers", but is there any story or build to anything outside of Joe/Swerve (If you consider this anything more then extension of Hangman/Swerve). Every other match just seems like a match thrown together, I haven't caught up on the last week or so outside of that joke of a Punk thing. Good to see Punk is still the biggest draw in AEW, can't wait for Jungle Boys feud with him at.....oh

I've read summaries of Bushiroad financial reports where apparently the income from their gate sharing of Forbidden Door is significant enough to mention as its own line item.

Combine that nice gate with the macro trends like a weak yen, and the damage that COVID and the Japanese government response to COVID did to the entire industry in Japan, and you can see why playing ball with Khan made sense in the short term.

However I think New Japan needs to start asking if those short term dollars were worth the long term damage from losing the majority of the main event talent.

Also, with the dramatic dropoff in AEW ticket sales the past year, it'll be interesting to see if the big Forbidden Door money is still there in 2024. Considering they just announced that FD was moved from Arthur Ashe to a smaller venue, it's not looking good.

Last edited:

NickFire

Fucking sucks that Rhea has to drop the title because of injury. She was on a hell of a run.
Yup. Unbelievable that such a great run was cut short by a fluke injury in a backstage angle with a mid carder.

I do think she will come back and get right into the mix of things again. Not sure if the Judgment Day angle can survive her being gone for at least a few months though.

adamsapple

Yup. Unbelievable that such a great run was cut short by a fluke injury in a backstage angle with a mid carder.

I do think she will come back and get right into the mix of things again. Not sure if the Judgment Day angle can survive her being gone for at least a few months though.

Move Biance to Raw in the draft, turn her heel. Have a baby-face Rhea return and have a feud with heel champion Bianca.

That'll be a fantastic program

Top Bottom