• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF Chick-fil-a ditched Coleslaw for some "superfood" Kale salad side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CFA

Superfood-Side.png

It's essentially a Kale Bake. I'm not even a Kale hater, but fuck me just add the Kale in addition too Coleslaw. This screams of North East GAF hipsters and West Coast GAF yuppies finally getting CFA and fucking it all up. Next up y'all be telling me Zaxbys won't have Coleslaw either as they branch out. Smh

Yahoo - We tried Chick-fil-A's history-making replacement for cole slaw — here's the verdict

We_tried_ChickfilAs_historymaking_replacement-7bcfcaa46add8df83ff2d91a1e204c1b

Chick-fil-A axed cole slaw from the menu this week and replaced it with a new kale-based side.

It's the first time a major fast-food chain has added kale to the national menu.

We decided to visit Chick-fil-A to test out the newest alternative to fries, called the superfood side.

The salad features hand-chopped kale and broccolini tossed in a maple vinaigrette dressing and topped with dried sour cherries and roasted nuts, including walnuts, almonds, and pecans.

Funny Brutally Honest Kale CFA Review

I've never liked coleslaw that much, it only has a (vague) place with barbecue. That kale salad looks way more delicious.

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone actually eat coleslaw.

It's eaten quite a bit in the south. Gotta have slaw with bbq or fried chicken. On the other hand I've never seen anyone down here eat kale regularly. It tastes awful. I know a few people who use it in smoothies to get the nutritional benefits but hide the taste.

Mixing the kfc cole slaw with the mashed potatoes and gravy is really good.

maxcriden

It looked really good to me when I saw the description the other day. I'll try it and report back.

ETA: that yahoo review really liked it.
I was expecting the superfood side to be much larger.
But once I popped off the top, I realized the salad is packed pretty tightly in the container, so the size of the packaging a little deceiving.

I sprinkled the nuts on top of the salad and took a bite.
It was delicious and packed with flavor.

The dressing was sweet and light, and the greens tasted crisp and fresh. The salty nuts perfectly offset the sweetness of the dressing and sour cherries.

I wanted to mix the nuggets into the salad but the small size of the container made that difficult without spilling food everywhere, so I ate them separately.

As I got to the bottom of the salad, I found a lot of broccolini stems.

The 8-ounce salad is 170 calories and together with the nuggets the entire meal is 440 calories and 21 grams of fat.

By comparison, the 8-count nugget meal with medium-sized french fries on the side totals 670 calories and 34 grams of fat.

Next time, I would probably order the grilled nuggets with the salad to make the meal healthier.
The new side, which has been 18 months in the making, launched on January 18.
It was created in collaboration with Ford Fry, an Atlanta restaurateur and a James Beard Award-nominated chef.

Pyrokai

This makes me more likely to go to Chic Fil A, honestly. But it shouldn't have replaced coleslaw. I understand they don't want their menu to grow to be out of control.

Toxi

Banned
The way people talk about kale being the death of America, you'd think it would be a lot worse than a mildly tasty green leaf.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You act like losing the slaw in favor of kale means ISIS is pretty much in charge of the Chick-fil-a drive-thru now. Based kale and northeastern USA.

Yukinari

What the fuck is with the coleslaw hate in this thread?

Ive had coleslaw from Popeyes, KFC and even my local deli and ive never been like "wow this stuff is garbage". Fresh coleslaw especially tastes fine.

Does this mean they won that lawsuit against the "Eat more Kale" guy?

Just in case you haven't looked it up yourself already, haha.

NPR's Ari Shapiro said:
Eat more kale is the slogan he prints on a popular series of T-shirts at his studio in Vermont. Back in 2011, he got into a long legal fight with Chick-fil-A over those shirts. The company said it was too close to their tagline, eat more chicken. After three years, Muller-Moore won the fight. He got the trademark to eat more kale, and Chick-fil-A was out of his life.

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/18/46350...st-on-chick-fil-as-embrace-of-the-leafy-green

Vanillalite

At least Andy knows. He had to move to be with Midwestern GAF and probably has to experience all kinds of fuckery.

That being said I'll check out the recipe. I have one my mom gave me somewhere too so I'd like to compare.

PS: Andy my Mom switched to making Asian Slaw for tailgates. Fellow dawg friends of ours made it for their tailgate as Mayo + hot weather can be a no-no and we got the recipe. Shit is legit.

andycapps

At least Andy knows. He had to move to be with Midwestern GAF and probably has to experience all kinds of fuckery.

That being said I'll check out the recipe. I have one my mom gave me somewhere too so I'd like to compare.

PS: Andy my Mom switched to making Asian Slaw for tailgates. Fellow dawg friends of ours made it for their tailgate as Mayo + hot weather can be a no-no and we got the recipe. Shit is legit.

You mean the asian slaw with shredded broccoli and Ramen noodles? That shit is so good, I actually prefer it to regular coleslaw.

Yeah I do experience all kinds of fuckery here. No Zaxby's. That's probably the biggest crime. Few BBQ places, and even rarer to find a decent one. Helps that I make my own.

It's eaten quite a bit in the south. Gotta have slaw with bbq or fried chicken. On the other hand I've never seen anyone down here eat kale regularly. It tastes awful. I know a few people who use it in smoothies to get the nutritional benefits but hide the taste.

Mixing the kfc cole slaw with the mashed potatoes and gravy is really good.

As someone who's lived in Texas for the last 25 years, I have also never seen anyone actually eat cole slaw. It's like something you put on a plate when you don't want it to look empty.

Always ask for no slaw extra fries/toast with the chicken finger plate. Never look back.

Also this.

mackattk

They are also ditching the baked potato. I preferred that other their fries (which are still pretty good).

We have had the Kale side salad for a few months here in TN.

Vanillalite

You mean the asian slaw with shredded broccoli and Ramen noodles? That shit is so good, I actually prefer it to regular coleslaw.

Yeah I do experience all kinds of fuckery here. No Zaxby's. That's probably the biggest crime. Few BBQ places, and even rarer to find a decent one. Helps that I make my own.

Yes! It's some version of that! Shit is bangin'!

Damn Andy knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom