• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf? dual GeForce 6800 PCs?

GigaDrive

Banned
this is the first that I have heard of PCs with dual GeForce 6800s

First dual-GeForce 6800 benchmark results

Alienware moves to clear up consumer confusion; releases 6800 benchmark results.
In response to a recent unauthorized leak, Alienware today released its first 3DMark03 benchmark performance numbers from a test system running its new "Video Array" dual-video card technology first introduced at this year's E3.

The document released to press lists 3DMark03 benchmark results comparing an Alienware 3.4GHz Intel Xeon test system running two GeForce 6800 video cards against the same system with only a single GeForce 6800 video card. The released document, a presentation slide dated from June 8th, includes 3DMark results taken from two settings: 1600x1200 with 8xAA (anti-aliasing) and 8xAF (anisotropic filtering), and 1600x1200 with only 8xAF.

The Video Array enabled dual-GeForce 6800 system outperformed the single video card system by a significant amount, outperforming the single card solution by almost 77 percent, scoring 3,105 3DMarks compared to1,758 3DMarks at 1600x1200, 8xAA, 8xAF. In the 1600x1200, 8xAF test, the dual-video card solution showed a 42 percent improvement, scoring 8,538 against the single card system's 5,992.

Alienware plans to release the first Video Array enabled ALX systems at the end of Q3 or the beginning of Q4 of this year, with prices starting over $5,000.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/18/news_6100971.html

I knew that ATI's R300 / Radeon 9700s are scalable upto 256 VPUs, so therefore Nvidia probably had a similar capability with NV3x and now NV40 / GeForce 6800, but this is the first time I've heard about consumer rigs with more than one GeForce!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It was announced and demoed at E3, but this is the first benchmark info I've seen. I'd like to wait and see benchmarks from "independents", but this looks promising, if exceptionally pricey. Over $5000? Sheesh. Hopefully others will start making similar solutions at fairer prices.

Sai

This is something that can be done by your average joe, no? Alienware's teh expenseev~...

Absolutely effin' retarded to buy that. For $5,000 you can get a super-smokin' PC every 2-3 years.

$5,000 - Monster Alienware rig that power games for the next 3 years (and not much past that)

$5,000 - A nice $1,500 rig that'll smoke every game for the next 2 years, rinse and repeat for a total of 6-8 years.

Hmmm.

golem

supposedly the alienware dual tech can be used on any videocard, hopefully we'll see it in other products as well if it turns out to be anygood

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sai said:

This is something that can be done by your average joe, no? Alienware's teh expenseev~...

AFAIK Alienware is the only one doing this right now, hence the ridiculous pricetag. However, I'm sure others will provide alternatives..once motherboards with multiple PCI-Express slots become available, it should probably "just" be a software solution that is required?

Drek

Used to be pretty easy to set up dual vid cards back when they were all PCI. I remember a friend of my brother had a dual Voodoo 2 set up, it was the cat's pajamas. :D

Bregor

This is actually a very smart move by Alienware. There are gamers out there who feel the need to have the absolute fastest gaming machine possible, and Alienware's new dual videocard PC's will be attractive to them (despite the fact they don't usually go for pre-built systems). At least until someone else comes out with similar tech.

Bregor

gofreak said:
AFAIK Alienware is the only one doing this right now, hence the ridiculous pricetag. However, I'm sure others will provide alternatives..once motherboards with multiple PCI-Express slots become available, it should probably "just" be a software solution that is required?

The Alienware solution requires three things:

1. Two PCI-E videocard slots (most MB have only one)
2. Software / Drivers
3. A special combiner to take the output from the two videocards and turn it into a single video signal.

So no, it is not just a software solution.

Tellaerin

Part of that five grand is for the 5000 btu air conditioner built into the case. :p (Seriously, a rig like that must pump out crazy amounts of heat.)

Bregor

Tellaerin said:
Part of that five grand is for the 5000 btu air conditioner built into the case. :p (Seriously, a rig like that must pump out crazy amounts of heat.)

The intro stories were saying that Alienware would include a custom 800-1000 watt power supply. Think about that for a second a one kilowatt PSU - crazy.

Top Bottom