• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum™: UE5.1, PC Optimization, & More

Krathoon

My processor might be too slow for this game. I have a this:

CPU: 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K (hexa-core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz)

I am going to use a 4070RTX video card.

It depends if the processor is doing much work.

Edit: Ah. I just checked the OP. It looks like it will run on it. I bet I can get medium settings.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Very weird that UE5 is pushing requirement so high. Almost like they made a deal with Nvidia.
I was contemplating a 4090 but it seems I can wait for the 5090, or at least wait to see what the heck is going on, is this legit the future of requirements or is it just early days and bad optimization. I can usually do high quality 4k with 3080 but this looks scary.

Krathoon

It is getting really close to the game coming out. I will look around for key sales.

CDKeys has it at a good price.

Last edited:

Killer8

Nanite is just some black magic I still can't believe exists.

If you asked me to pick a couple of rendering goodies, i'd go with Nanite and TAA. Once you solve LOD pop-in and eliminate jaggies, you've basically gotten rid of the flaws that are the dead giveaway that you're looking at a videogame.

Krathoon

I am running at 1080p, so the 4070RTX should be enough.

I do get the feeling we are putting the cart in front of the horse here. Not everyone is wanting to upgrade their hardware and this has to look good on a PS5.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This kind of reminds me of when the old game, Crysis, came out. Not many could run it.

Last edited:

yamaci17

This kind of reminds me of when the old game, Crysis, came out. Not many could run it.
crysis at least had big visual features that put it above every other game at its time.
this game looks worse than most of the peak lastgen games. that is the core of the problem. they cannot push graphics anymore. I think they hit a solid wall. and they try so extreme things to get some stuff out of diminishing returns to a point they destroy resolution, sample counts and end up with something that doesn't resemble what they aim for.

winjer

Gold Member

But Crysis was still the best looking game in the market for several years after launch.
It was heavy to run, but it was justified by the best graphics of the era.

This game is heavy, but looks last gen. So it's requirements are not even close to being justified.

remember the UE3 'look'? glossy bump mapping, bald space marines, grey sandy textures?
this game has the UE5 'look', soul-less and bunch of rocky rocks
How did 4 avoid this? Maybe it's every other version?

I mean even AC4 Black Flag still looks pretty good and that wasn't even a proper "next gen game" since it was essentially just an enhanced port of a Ps3/360 game
Black Flag has a better looks to performance ration than Syndicate, maybe even Unity.

yamaci17

How did 4 avoid this? Maybe it's every other version?

Black Flag has a better looks to performance ration than Syndicate, maybe even Unity.
it didn't avoid anything

ue4 also has a "plasticky" look to it. i can pinpoint %95 of ue games by their lighting / character texturing. aside from super niche examples like hellblade senua; majority of ue4 games look cartoonish.

take back 4 blood example. super cartoonish. supposedly it should be a serious toned game
same for Redfall. vampires and stuff. can't take it serious. because it looks cartoonish. all characters look like they're made from plastic
gears 5. characters look plastic and their faces look weird and uncanny and unnatural.

for example arkham city got a ue4 upgrade for ps4 consoles. surprise surprise, it became plastic-like

sea of thieves? full plastic city. literal plastic people. might as well call it sea of plastic thieves

jedi fallen order? survivor? characters look like they're made from playdough. all plastic.

street fighter ? plastic fighter.

ark survival. oh serious game about survival and dinosaurs. but everything looks like plastic. how shameful

I admit UE4 plastic looks suit certain titles like;

- fortnite. literal game that the engine is built. the entire reason why UE4 is so plastic. because its sole creation purpose is actually Fortnite.
- kingdom hearts, perfectly valid (it is supposed to be cartoonish)
- borderlands 3 fits the bill
- little nightmares
- it takes two
- grounded

overall I hate UE4. most UE4 games remind me that I'm playing some kind of warped Fortnite mode instead.

Thankfully UE5 IMMORTALS OF AVEUM... doesnt look that plastic.

Last edited:
it didn't avoid anything

ue4 also has a "plasticky" look to it. i can pinpoint %95 of ue games by their lighting / character texturing. aside from super niche examples like hellblade senua; majority of ue4 games look cartoonish.

take back 4 blood example. super cartoonish. supposedly it should be a serious toned game
same for Redfall. vampires and stuff. can't take it serious. because it looks cartoonish. all characters look like they're made from plastic
gears 5. characters look plastic and their faces look weird and uncanny and unnatural.

for example arkham city got a ue4 upgrade for ps4 consoles. surprise surprise, it became plastic-like

sea of thieves? full plastic city. literal plastic people. might as well call it sea of plastic thieves

jedi fallen order? survivor? characters look like they're made from playdough. all plastic.

street fighter ? plastic fighter.

ark survival. oh serious game about survival and dinosaurs. but everything looks like plastic. how shameful

I admit UE4 plastic looks suit certain titles like;

- fortnite. literal game that the engine is built. the entire reason why UE4 is so plastic. because its sole creation purpose is actually Fortnite.
- kingdom hearts, perfectly valid (it is supposed to be cartoonish)
- borderlands 3 fits the bill
- little nightmares
- it takes two
- grounded

overall I hate UE4. most UE4 games remind me that I'm playing some kind of warped Fortnite mode instead.

Thankfully UE5 IMMORTALS OF AVEUM... doesnt look that plastic.

It seems I haven't played a lot of games on it to notice much then, I have noticed the bad skin, in cases like State Of Decay 2 vs 1 (wouldn't Grounded or ITT benefit from such a look?), but not an overal plasticy-ness as in (the inaptly named) Alien Isolation.
Also 3 had its fair share of non, let's say puffy clay looking games too, like Dishonored or Infinite.
Have yet to play anything on 5.

Top Bottom