• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF! MS wants to send a collection agency after me

Sounds like this is totally your fault. Stop being so lazy.

The first time I used a 2 months free trial card I forgot to cancel it. After I received the first notice in the mail I called them up and got them to take away the $50 or whatever charge. Just told them I was off at school and had totally forgot about it blah blah blah. I hadn't used the XBL account for months so that probably helped my case. They were very easy to work with.

Papi

SanjuroTsubaki said:
or your going to change your life around and look back at these posts with your children as they ask "Daddy were you really this stupid?".
Hahahaha

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Cerebral Palsy said:
Sounds like this is totally your fault. Stop being so lazy.

The first time I used a 2 months free trial card I forgot to cancel it. After I received the first notice in the mail I called them up and got them to take away the $50 or whatever charge. Just told them I was off at school and had totally forgot about it blah blah blah. I hadn't used the XBL account for months so that probably helped my case. They were very easy to work with.

Maybe that got tired of dealing with your type and decided to stick it to this poor sap. Just a thought.

I'm sorry, but if you're old enough (and I would also say mature enough, but that obviously doesn't apply to you) to have a credit card, you should have the common sense to know how subscriptions work. You sign up and you pay until you cancel, it's been like that forever, so don't even try to use that "I forgot to read the fine print" bullshit.

rs7k

Just called them, and they won't let me cancel until I pay a year's fee. I just talked to the most unsympathetic piece of shit supervisor in my life. He's trying to tell me they tried to bill me 6 times, sent 10 notices, sent me two written letters that I've never gotten, and that if I don't pay Microsoft within 24 hours, my credit is in deep shit. He said he would have loved to cancel the account, but because they have sent me so many notices (I only got one notice before I changed my email address), there is nothing he can do for me. I asked him if anybody could take a look at the computer that takes care of billing, but he tried to tell me he had no way of accessing that computer. Okay buddy, you've already told me you're the last person I'm gonna talk to, and assuming you're the head honcho in your department, you're trying to tell me you can't access that damn computer when it's basically part of your job?

He tried to offer me free games (Top Spin or Crimson Skies) to compensate for the charge, which I didn't take. I can't even bear to look at my Xbox, it's just never gonna get played again. What really pisses me off right now was the rudeness of the representative, and how he changed his story about what was gonna happen. At first he was telling me the charge would go to the credit bureau in a week or two maybe, but he told me he had no way of knowing that at first, then he suddenly went apeshit and told me I had 24 hours to pay, or my credit report would take a huge fucking hit.

I mean, I know I've been irresponsible, and I would not have let these sorts of matters slide like that, but because of various things in my life (family dying, drug addiction, debt), this year has taken quite the psychological toll on me, and I fucked up on this one. I was not this lazy, I should have cancelled it instead of waiting this long knowing my card couldn't be charged. I now know that forgetting to cancel fucked me over big time. It's not like I deliberately flipped MS the finger while they were trying to charge my acct, it's just that I wrote it off my mind right after trying to unsuccessfully call and cancel the service. It just came back to my mind a few days ago. Fuck.

Anybody want an Xbox?

DigDugDirkDiggler said:
I'm sorry, but if you're old enough (and I would also say mature enough, but that obviously doesn't apply to you) to have a credit card, you should have the common sense to know how subscriptions work. You sign up and you pay until you cancel, it's been like that forever, so don't even try to use that "I forgot to read the fine print" bullshit.

Quoted for truth.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder how some of you people are able to get by in the real world.

rs7k

n3mo_toad said:
This entire crisis is over the american equivalent of $75? How old are you, exactly?

Christ, how old I am is irrelevant. $75 is not pocket change, and I'm a poor college student. I'm not happy having to pay for a service I've used for about 20 minutes of my life, and will never use again. Hell, I don't even have broadband anymore. That's an expensive 20 minutes, so I think I'm in the right to complain about this. It's not like I'm pulling a goodcow and making such a huge deal about something like sales tax, or a fucking iced tea sale. I've heard stories of Microsoft fixing Xboxes for free, and I get fucked over for something stupid like this?

fart

Savant
actually it does make a difference. if you're under 18, the contract you "signed" to start the trail is null and void, in the US at least.

ps, you're clearly not too bright, but the thing to do here is act very nice, ask to talk to a cust service manager, point out that you've never used the service, apologize for forgetting to cancel, and ask for them to waive the charges and cancel your account. make it clear that you realize that they're doing you a favor, don't be a dick, and they should be able to make it go away.

bill0527

All of you people claiming you can cancel from the dashboard are liars.

Please PWN me by telling me where in the dashboard I can cancel, because I've went to every single menu available and there isn't a cancel option anywhere.

My sub runs out the 15th and I don't want to resubscribe until I get an Xbox 360 later this year.

hgplayer1

rs7k said:
Christ, how old I am is irrelevant. $75 is not pocket change, and I'm a poor college student. I'm not happy having to pay for a service I've used for about 20 minutes of my life, and will never use again. Hell, I don't even have broadband anymore. That's an expensive 20 minutes, so I think I'm in the right to complain about this. It's not like I'm pulling a goodcow and making such a huge deal about something like sales tax, or a fucking iced tea sale. I've heard stories of Microsoft fixing Xboxes for free, and I get fucked over for something stupid like this?

yes you are "getting fucked over" for something stupid like this. lesson learned. pay up. move on.

by the way if you dont know what lesson you just learned, its that if you give your credit card number to ANY company. they will do everything they can to charge you unless you tell them otherwise. so dont give it out if you dont have any money.

StRaNgE

Banned
StRaNgE said:
on a side note. i bought a year package with head set while i was using the free 2 month trial. at the end of the 2 months i forgot to sign that 1 year card in so i was auto charged for a year. the other day i gave that free card to a friend so he could make use of it and it said invalid.

the card was brand freggin new and never used so what gives?

does MS sell a lot of invalid cards?

try this again cuz i don't see it worth anew post.

someone here has had to have a similar issue?

rs7k

<sigh> So they charged my card, I'm not even gonna try to fight it anymore. I don't feel like throwing away something I just paid for, so I'm gonna keep my Xbox. Goddammit I feel like a drama queen fighting nicotine urges on a Saturday afternoon hangover.

Quick question, I don't have high speed anymore. I have DSL, but it's capped at a lower speed than it used to be. I manage to download files at around 30KB per second, so is my connection quick enough to go on Live?

Bigfonzie

tom.gif

OHHHHHH MUMMMA! A-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarybore

bill0527 said:
All of you people claiming you can cancel from the dashboard are liars.

Please PWN me by telling me where in the dashboard I can cancel, because I've went to every single menu available and there isn't a cancel option anywhere.

My sub runs out the 15th and I don't want to resubscribe until I get an Xbox 360 later this year.

There is a option somewhere, likely under subscription options if i remember correctly, but after all my accounts me and my friends have made, we have never been able to cancel our subscriptions from the dashboard, it always says we should try again later.

It either doesnt work for UK people (please say if it has worked for any fellow Ukers), is incredibily random at getting to work or never works so that you think "I cant be arsed to ring up, ill just continue the sub". Ive even had the Xbox live rep on the phone tell me to use the option on the Dash but ive always had to say its never worked, and I dont want Fable to continue on Live.

bill0527

Deathcraze said:
There is a option somewhere, likely under subscription options if i remember correctly, but after all my accounts me and my friends have made, we have never been able to cancel our subscriptions from the dashboard, it always says we should try again later.

It either doesnt work for UK people (please say if it has worked for any fellow Ukers), is incredibily random at getting to work or never works so that you think "I cant be arsed to ring up, ill just continue the sub". Ive even had the Xbox live rep on the phone tell me to use the option on the Dash but ive always had to say its never worked, and I dont want Fable to continue on Live.

I can promise you that there is no option to cancel in the dashboard, because I have looked and followed every single menu until the end at least 20 times and there is nothing there. I notice that you mentioned something about UK people. There is a possibility that the Live software has this option to cancel for people in the UK from the dashboard, but there's not an option in the U.S. version, and if somebody finds the option for the U.S. version, I'd like to see a screenshot. I really don't want to have to call Microsoft in a few days and cancel because I'll probably be stuck on hold forever, get disconnected, call back and get stuck on hold some more, and then have to listen to a 30 minute sales pitch from some guy in Bangladesh telling me about all the great value I get from my subscription.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
well how nice, microsoft sent me an email saying my first Xbox Live billing period begins in exactly 1 month. i will do what any sane cheap ass gamer would so and cancel my subscription on the 9th :p

gblues

Banned
rs7k said:
Just called them, and they won't let me cancel until I pay a year's fee. I just talked to the most unsympathetic piece of shit supervisor in my life. He's trying to tell me they tried to bill me 6 times, sent 10 notices, sent me two written letters that I've never gotten, and that if I don't pay Microsoft within 24 hours, my credit is in deep shit. He said he would have loved to cancel the account, but because they have sent me so many notices (I only got one notice before I changed my email address), there is nothing he can do for me. I asked him if anybody could take a look at the computer that takes care of billing, but he tried to tell me he had no way of accessing that computer. Okay buddy, you've already told me you're the last person I'm gonna talk to, and assuming you're the head honcho in your department, you're trying to tell me you can't access that damn computer when it's basically part of your job?

Translation: The supervisor refused to release you from the contract that you agreed to, because your excuse of "I changed my mind" didn't fly. Then you ask him to check the "billing computer" (which is a mainframe server that only a handfull of people--whom you have no way to talk to--have physical access to), and he (correctly) says he can't access it.
He tried to offer me free games (Top Spin or Crimson Skies) to compensate for the charge, which I didn't take. I can't even bear to look at my Xbox, it's just never gonna get played again. What really pisses me off right now was the rudeness of the representative, and how he changed his story about what was gonna happen. At first he was telling me the charge would go to the credit bureau in a week or two maybe, but he told me he had no way of knowing that at first, then he suddenly went apeshit and told me I had 24 hours to pay, or my credit report would take a huge fucking hit.

Well, not paying what you owe is generally a bad idea. He probably doesn't know exactly when your debt will be sent off to collections. Hell, he's offering free games as compensation. But no, you are still being a dumb shit.

I mean, I know I've been irresponsible, and I would not have let these sorts of matters slide like that, but because of various things in my life (family dying, drug addiction, debt), this year has taken quite the psychological toll on me, and I fucked up on this one. I was not this lazy, I should have cancelled it instead of waiting this long knowing my card couldn't be charged. I now know that forgetting to cancel fucked me over big time. It's not like I deliberately flipped MS the finger while they were trying to charge my acct, it's just that I wrote it off my mind right after trying to unsuccessfully call and cancel the service. It just came back to my mind a few days ago. Fuck.

Yes, welcome to adulthood where contracts mean something. Take his offer and get it over with, and next time don't be stupid.

Nathan

Syckx

I had a similar situation except I was turned over to collections for a cell phone I never had. It was only $192 so I was going to pay it to keep it from fucking my credit but I then found out the person who got the phone lied about my birth year in order to get a phone when I was 17. Luckily, that voided any responsibility I had for the account.

Nevermind, I guess my situation is nothing like yours. Pay your debts, ignorance is no excuse. I am a "poor college student" also, but I have no debt because I pay for my shit and cancel my Xbox Live accounts. You have no right to complain because the fine print says that the account has to be manually cancelled when you no longer wish to use it. Live and learn.

Ecrofirt

bill0527 said:
I can promise you that there is no option to cancel in the dashboard, because I have looked and followed every single menu until the end at least 20 times and there is nothing there. I notice that you mentioned something about UK people. There is a possibility that the Live software has this option to cancel for people in the UK from the dashboard, but there's not an option in the U.S. version, and if somebody finds the option for the U.S. version, I'd like to see a screenshot. I really don't want to have to call Microsoft in a few days and cancel because I'll probably be stuck on hold forever, get disconnected, call back and get stuck on hold some more, and then have to listen to a 30 minute sales pitch from some guy in Bangladesh telling me about all the great value I get from my subscription.

And I can promise you that I cancelled my 2 month subscription right from my dashboard. The option was right there, I entered the last four digits of the credit card, and it was cancelled.

Shompola

Banned
I have cancelled LiVE twice, once thru phone and the last time was thru the dashboard. I got an e-mail immediatelly aftewards that verified that I had indeed cancelled.

Top Bottom