• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

Kaladin

In Stores October 29th.

fob-fpage-uw.png

Featuring 30 Years of Wrestlemania

ku-bigpic.jpg

Matches Confirmed

HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ERA

WrestleMania: Andre the Giant vs. Big John Studd
WrestleMania 2: Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy
WrestleMania III: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
WrestleMania III: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant
WrestleMania IV: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
WrestleMania V: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Hulk Hogan
WrestleMania VI: Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior
WrestleMania VII: Sgt. Slaughter vs. Hulk Hogan
WrestleMania VIII: Ric Flair vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage
WrestleMania IX: Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Yokozuna
WrestleMania IX: Yokozuna vs. Hulk Hogan

NEW GENERATION ERA

WrestleMania X: Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania X: Yokozuna vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart
WrestleMania XI: The Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy
WrestleMania XI: Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania XII: The Undertaker vs. Diesel
WrestleMania XII: Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania XIII: Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

ATTITUDE ERA

WrestleMania XIV: The Undertaker vs. Kane
WrestleMania XV: The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
WrestleMania 2000: Triple H vs. The Rock vs. Big Show vs. Mick Foley
WrestleMania X-Seven: The Rock vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

RUTHLESS AGGRESSION ERA

WrestleMania X-8: The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan
WrestleMania X-8: Chris Jericho vs. Triple H
WrestleMania XIX: Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho
WrestleMania XIX: The Rock vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
WrestleMania XX: John Cena vs. Big Show
WrestleMania XX: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania 21: John "Bradshaw" Layfield vs. John Cena
WrestleMania 22: Edge (W/ Lita) vs. Mick Foley
WrestleMania XXIII: Batista vs. The Undertaker
WrestleMania XXIII: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania XXIV: Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair
WrestleMania XXIV: Randy Orton vs. Triple H vs. John Cena

UNIVERSE ERA

WrestleMania XXV: Edge vs. John Cena vs. Big Show
WrestleMania XXV: Randy Orton vs. Triple H
WrestleMania XXVI: Chris Jericho vs. Edge
WrestleMania XXVI: Batista vs. John Cena
WrestleMania XXVI: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania XXVII: Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio
WrestleMania XXVII: The Miz vs. John Cena
WrestleMania XXVIII: Triple H vs. The Undertaker
WrestleMania XXVIII: CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
WrestleMania XXVIII: The Rock vs. John Cena
WrestleMania XXIX: CM Punk vs. Undertaker
WrestleMania XXIX: Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H
WrestleMania XXIX: The Rock vs. John Cena

"The Streak Mode"

The_Streak_1.jpg

The_Streak_Victims.jpg

With “Defend The Streak,” players will take the reins as The Undertaker himself and battle wave after wave of opponents at The Show of Shows. Also available in Exhibition Mode as “The Slobberknocker,” this gauntlet match-like mode challenges players to see how many opponents they can take out, one after another.

In “Defeat The Streak,” players will be faced with the daunting task of challenging The Undertaker in his domain upon The Grandest Stage of Them All, a stage The Deadman has dominated for more than two decades. According to Ledesma, pinning The Deadman will be no easy task, as 2K’s developers have cranked it up to an off-the-charts fifth difficulty level that will incorporate supernatural elements to mirror The Undertaker’s near-mythic WrestleMania aura.

Universe Mode Improvements

Rivalries

With the rivalries feature, you can create your rivalries by choosing you superstars or tag team and the length of the rivalry (Short (4 weeks), Medium (8 weeks) or Long (12 weeks)).

One thing about this is if you set champion(s) in a rivalry, then the rivalry will be for the title at some point. Rivalries can be automatically assigned or created by ourselves so that the cutscenes will work within those rivalries. You can only assign 3 rivalries per show.

The rivalry that you create will be heavily documented in this section telling you everything that went down from the matches to the scenes that has played out. These rivalries can be ended at any time you wish to end them.

Assigning Default Superstar Attires

One issue in past versions of WWE Universe was that we were able to book the matches but we weren't able to save the attires that we wanted to use in that match. In this version of WWE Universe we can under the Edit Superstar options.

At the bottom of the superstar settings tab of the superstar you choose to edit, you can change the attire there and then.

WWE.com - Your home for all the universe related news and statistics

In WWE '13, your latest news and your rankings and statistics were in individual sections making it look all unorganized. In this Universe mode, they've combined all three sections into one section called WWE.com.

All the things that went on in the previous week with rivals would be documented in the latest news section.

Assigning diva titles as the major title of your shows

One issue in WWE '13's Universe mode was that we could not have a diva title as the major championship but we could have one in any of the other title slots. In WWE 2K14, we can now choose to have a diva title as the major championship, allowing us to have an all diva show if we wanted to.

King of the Ring tournament in a PPV

If we wanted to have a King of the Ring tournament held in our universe, we can choose that as the theme of the next PPV we want that to happen.

Just like the Royal Rumble and the Money in the Bank winners, the King of the Ring winner would be recognized until the following year or when the next King of the Ring tournament happens.

Assigning the number of matches we want to see on the card

Another highly demanded feature was for us to be able to choose how many matches we want on a card. At the moment, all we know is that we can assign any number of matches from 3 matches to 7 matches for a major show.

Gameplay Sample:

Del Rio vs John Cena:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/21/lets-play-wwe-2k14-del-rio-vs-john-cena

Roster:

http://wwe.2k.com/index.php/roster

Current Superstars and Divas:

AJ Lee
Aksana
Brodus Clay
Christian
Cody Rhodes
Damien Sandow
David Otunga
Dean Ambrose
Drew McIntyre
Eddie Guerrero
Heath Slater
Jack Swagger
Jinder Mahal
Justin Gabriel
Kaitlyn
Kane
Kofi Kingston
Layla
Lita
Mark Henry
Mr. McMahon
Natalya
R-Truth
Roman Reigns
Santino Marella
Seth Rollins
Sheamus
Sin Cara
Stephanie McMahon
Tensai
The Great Khali
Titus O'Neil
Wade Barrett
Zack Ryder

Current and Past Superstars and Divas Featured in 30 Years of Wrestlemania:

Alberto Del Rio
Andre the Giant
Antonio Cesaro
Batista
Big John Studd
Big Show
Big Show (retro)
Bret Hart
Brock Lesnar
Brock Lesnar (retro)
Chris Jericho
Chris Jericho (retro)
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Darren Young
Diesel
Dolph Ziggler
Edge
Goldberg
Hulk Hogan
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
JBL
John Cena
John Cena (retro)
Kane (retro)
King Kong Bundy
Mick Foley
Randy Orton
Randy Savage
Razor Ramon
Rey Mysterio
Ric Flair
Ric Flair (retro)
Ricky Steamboat
Ryback
Sgt. Slaughter
Shawn Michaels
Shawn Michaels (retro)
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Ted DiBiase
The Miz
The Rock
The Rock (retro)
Triple H
Triple H (retro)
Ultimate Warrior
Undertaker
Undertaker (retro)
Yokozuna

Season Pass DLC:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wwe-2k14-dlc-and-season-pass-revealed/1100-6415678/

The $20 WWE 2K14 season pass includes access to three expansion packs, which introduce new characters, moves, and items.

The "nWo Pack and Accelerator" expansion includes characters like Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Syxx, Curt Henni, Scott Steiner, and The Giant. Meanwhile, "Accelerator" allows players to unlock all in-game items and customize individual WWE fighter attributes.

The nWo Pack will be sold outside of the season pass for $9, while the Accelerator will go for $2. The Giant will be available free of charge, 2K said. This expansion is scheduled to launch in November 2013, while the Accelerator will be available on launch day--October 29.

The "WWE Superstars and Moves Pack" (December 2013) includes fighters Fandango and Big E Langston, as well as Brie Bella, Nikki Bella, and Summer Rae. More than 30 new moves and taunts are also included with the expansion, including the Black Widow and the Koji Clutch.

This expansion will be available outside of the WWE 2K14 season pass for $8. Summer Rae is included for free.

The third WWE 2K14 expansion included with the season pass is the "WWE Legends and Creations Pack" (January 2014). This includes hall of famers like Bruno Sammartino and "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, as well as "Ravishing" Rick Rude and Jake "The Snake" Roberts. WWE manager Virgil will also be included with the expansion for free.

Also featured with the expansion is the Custom Superstar Parts Pack, which contains 15 Superstar parts that players can use to customize their characters. The entire expansion will be sold for $9 outside of the pass.

If purchased separately, all three expansions total $26, meaning players save around $6 if they purchase the WWE 2K14 season pass. Those who purchase the pass will also season pass-exclusives like Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, as well as more than 10 online badges.

In a just world this game would sell 1 copy and that copy would be the VGCW guy.

I hope this is the end of Yukes as the main WWE dev and 2K get someone else to handle next gen. Yukes can continue with current gen and mobile or something before fading away

In a just world this game would sell 1 copy and that copy would be the VGCW guy.

I hope this is the end of Yukes as the main WWE dev and 2K get someone else to handle next gen. Yukes can continue with current gen and mobile or something.

What are the odds of this actually happening? Is this just a transition for 2K? I'd assume they'd rather use their own engine.

Kaladin

What are the odds of this actually happening? Is this just a transition for 2K? I'd assume they'd rather use their own engine.

Unless there is something in the contract with WWE that keeps Yukes as devs, we can hope it's their last year. WWE might have been one of THQ's top franchise, but that won't cut the mustard under the 2k banner.

I cant imagine WWE games sell all that great so maybe they stick with Yukes to keep costs as low as they can but if they care about making good games then it needs to get out of that studio.

Hasney

I wouldn't be shocked if 2k have started working on the next-gen edition themselves or with another dev and still hire Yukes for the "legacy" versions. Hell, 2011 came out for the PS2, so there'll probably be support for PS360 for a little while yet.

I'm probably just being hopeful though. They can't put us through more Yukes shit... Can they? Not unless they get the Yukes team that did the Gamecube WWE games back at the very least.

Kaladin

Is this still a Yukes game? For some reason I thought that it was developed by a different team.

Still a Yukes game. 2k bought the franchise in the middle of the dev cycle and with the WWE contract, they had to deliver on a 2014 game. They couldn't skip a year.

What are the odds of them redoing everything from the ground up in less than 1 year?
I would'nt bet on a new engine even if Yukes is axed unless they take a year off.
I imagine next will a very small game if they attempt to push it out on a new engine next year. A core group of superstars, with limited modes and tools.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Unless there is something in the contract with WWE that keeps Yukes as devs, we can hope it's their last year. WWE might have been one of THQ's top franchise, but that won't cut the mustard under the 2k banner.

2K also makes MLB 2K.

My worst fear is they replace Yukes with an internal team at Visual Concepts that is basically composed of all the ex-baseball guys shelved off to make a wrestling game.

I don't really care that this game isn't drastically different from '13, I just want a wrestling game with 2-counts, passably competent A.I., working attributes, etc.

'13 was fine on the surface but the gameplay was so broken and glitchy. They did so much work fine-tuning the gameplay for WWE 12 and then it was all gone the next year.

The roster this year is fabulous. Just give me something that works as advertised to hold me until next-gen, 2K.

2K also makes MLB 2K.

My worst fear is they replace Yukes with an internal team at Visual Concepts that is basically composed of all the ex-baseball guys shelved off to make a wrestling game.

I'd rather have Yuke's then the MLB 2K team.

Forkball

The contract expires this year right for Yukes? I can't imagine 2K holding on to them. There is so much potential you could do with this franchise, and saying "HEY IT'S NOT YUKES THIS TIME" would get a ton of people interested. Also 2K Sports supports PC, and I would love a WWE game on PC. Imagine the mods!

What are the odds of them redoing everything from the ground up in less than 1 year?
I would'nt bet on a new engine even if Yukes is axed unless they take a year off.
I imagine next will a very small game if they attempt to push it out on a new engine next year. A core group of superstars, with limited modes and tools.

I doubt they'll compromise heavily on the number of available characters; that's a selling point. More likely is that they get the modelling / gameplay down with a relatively limited move-set. Finishers, maybe two or three 'unique' additional moves per-character and on from there in years to come.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So buying this. I don't even follow WWE anymore but man you can have some great laughs with friends.

Batista, Lesnar & Goldberg? ;O

rvy

Banned
Hollywood Rock is in. He's an alt attire for Retro Rock, I think.

The Universe mode video they pumped out had the Hollywood Rock theme playing as menu music at one point, so I assume that's in at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sWVtw8PwVM

Somewhere around the 40 minute mark.

Anyway, just in case 2k are thinking about sticking with Yukes, I'm really hoping this gets less buys than a TNA PPV.

Pretty sure he's in. I've seen promo art some where.
AHMAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Will get in bargain bin!

Heel Rocky is best Rocky. Ever.

Eidan

I hope they fix the hair in this iteration. I copied my '12 CAW to '13, and they butchered the short buzz cut so it looked like my guy had NO hair mid head down.

EDIT: And what is considered Retro Triple H? After having THREE Triple H's in '13, this seems like a serious downgrade.

Kaladin

I hope they fix the hair in this iteration. I copied my '12 CAW to '13, and they butchered the short buzz cut so it looked like my guy had NO hair mid head down.

EDIT: And what is considered Retro Triple H? After having THREE Triple H's in '13, this seems like a serious downgrade.

I'm assuming Retro H is for Wrestlemania 2000.

and we all know that's Prime H.

rvy

Banned
IEDIT: And what is considered Retro Triple H? After having THREE Triple H's in '13, this seems like a serious downgrade.

lol, does it still read on the contract that Trips cannot be depicted in a bludgeoned state in screenshots? Shit was hilarious.

Needs more HHH.

I hope Universe Mode is a bit more diverse. Will create a NJPW/PWG Universe.

RAINMAKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Game is also available digital on day 1 (and you can preorder it now), which is nice given the $10 credit promotion PSN has for October, but without the preorder DLC it still sucks.

Oh it actually does come with the preorder DLC. So yeah its pretty nice.

Raw64life

The "Best. Game. Ever." according to Jerry Lawler. That's good enough reason for me.

staying far away from this turd

stn

Can you use the retro wrestlers outside of the Wrestlemania mode? Also, I heard you can edit attires ala No Mercy (its the last wrestling game I played)?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Actually kind of excited for this because the previews so far have been pretty enthusiastic. Wish they cut out most of the Hogan shit though. Way too much of that in this game.

The WWF/E era matches really interest me, as somebody who hasn't watched wrestling in 10 years, and hasn't really followed wrestling in 15... But, I think the gameplay of this is still terrible, the graphics are still laughably bad, so I guess I'll pass.

If the gameplay were better, I know I'd have a blast with those old WWF matches.

Also, that is *the* most disgusting DLC I've seen in a while.

Jamie OD

Can you use the retro wrestlers outside of the Wrestlemania mode? Also, I heard you can edit attires ala No Mercy (its the last wrestling game I played)?

Yes you can for the first one. The second I think you can change the colours but not the costumes. You'd have to recreate the wrestler as a CAW to do something like that.

Hoarr

Neo Member
I like the WWE games but I've been playing the Yukes ones since the PSX era. I can't imagine how anyone could try to jump into this series today based on how f'd up the gameplay system is.

Crowd favorite? Saved finishers? Triple finishers?? OMG spots?!? I'm for burning it all down after this year.

Hasney

Actually kind of excited for this because the previews so far have been pretty enthusiastic. Wish they cut out most of the Hogan shit though. Way too much of that in this game.

They're massively enthusiastic every year, then the reviews roll around and it still manages to rarely score below a 7 because the bells and whistles apparently make up for the gameplay.

Yes you can.

And you can edit the colors on the attires of everyone on the roster. They introduced something this year called "Superstar Heads" where you can take the head of certain guys like say, The Undertaker, and make your own created torso.

Not at the level of No Mercy yet, but getting there.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Is there anything about a career mode for this game that allows for changing belts and storylines and such?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most fucked up thing about still having the same shitty ass Smackdown games is that once upon a time the reviled Yukes knew how to make a good wrestling game (with better models and game mechanics than today's games) yet they stuck with this shitty ass brand because this one was on the Playstation family of consoles. Became an even bigger joke when they merged into one game only a year or two later and sidelined the team who made the better game (Day of Reckoning)

Top Bottom