• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty fucking sloppy PPV.

Having the Diva Dodgeball on the Card didnt help.

And a fucking DQ on Undertaker Vs Bradshaw .

Stupid WWE..

Beniot vs Orton up next. (this better rock)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I was pretty excited about Summerslam and even contemplated ordering it (decided against it at the last second). After reading through the results thus far, it seems like I made the right decision.

Memles

MetatronM said:
Man, I was pretty excited about Summerslam and even contemplated ordering it (decided against it at the last second). After reading through the results thus far, it seems like I made the right decision.

Yep...a friend wanted to get it, but a camping trip of his got in the way.

Best Camping Decision ever, because it sounds like a veritable crapfest, to me.

Angle/Guerrero seemed too short, and it seems like the Toronto crowd should be shot, just a little bit...it's ok on the Angle, but cheering fucking Kane? Jerks.

Good choice... Im not paying for it so i dont care :)

The crowd is really out of whack.

A cheering wave during Undertaker vs JBL. (understandable as teh match was shit)

So far their not even into Benoit and Orton.

Memles

Rabid Wolverine said:
So far their not even into Benoit and Orton.

That's the thing...Orton is generally a guy who gets cheered a fair amount (I know I cheer him) and the feud has nothing behind it but "I'm going to be the Youngest World Champion" and "No, you're not *Intense Stare*" What the fuck is that? I like Benoit, I like Orton, but Orton isn't hated enough to be the next Rock, and Benoit still isn't exactly the epitome of a babyface hero. If Orton wins, it won't work.

They need to make this a stepping stone for Orton...have him continue to try to assault Benoit week after week, trying to defeat him. Have him destroy people in his path (Throw Foley back in there, even). Orton has proven his ability, but the company hasn't proven its ability to sell him yet.

No Doubt.

He still needs to develop Bigtime.

Pretty fucked as this match had little to no buildup.

Nice touch at the end with Beniot shaking his hand.. BE A MAN..

Orton vs HHH has begun.

Memles

So what now? We deal with the self-destruction of Evolution?

We get to watch MORE HHH for months to come, as his stable falls apart?

Looks like the pendulum may just swing back in Smackdown's direction for awhile.

bjork

I'd think the only reason they did that (aside from trying to push Orton) is so that Lesnar can't say he was the youngest champ ever. Could be a short reign, you never know.

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE WWF

Memles

bjork said:
I'd think the only reason they did that (aside from trying to push Orton) is so that Lesnar can't say he was the youngest champ ever. Could be a short reign, you never know.

Oh no...Orton/HHH is already planned for Wrestlemania.

bjork

Memles said:
Oh no...Orton/HHH is already planned for Wrestlemania.

Right, but that's months from now. Who's to say he won't go back and forth with Benoit for awhile and then HHH could interfere, causing Orton to lose or whatever, like towards the end of the year.

They said Kane was unmasking for like two years before it ever actually happened, so I tend to think not all WWE plans are set in stone.

Triumph

Banned
Fucking awful. There is no excuse for the abortion of a pay per view that I just got home from watching.

Fuck you, WWE. Fuck you, Vince McMahon. I will no longer support your product, you aren't interesting in the slightest any longer. You have destroyed my interest in professional wrestling.

Randy Orton is not, and never will be, World Champion calibre. He is an overpushed pretty boy that wore PEACH FUCKING TRUNKS to the ring tonight for his win. He deserves to be locked in a pit with rabid, syphillis ridden hyenas and mocked as he screams for help. Randy Orton is a heaping bucket of suck, and that's all he will ever be. Consider yourself short at least one viewer until you have Orton publicly executed and beg for my apology. He is many things, but certainly not the future of the company.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Orton won? Well, I guess that sets up Orton/HHH with HHH telling Orton to lay down for him tomorrow night. Maybe Orton refuses, HHH starts beating him down and Benoit makes the save. Then we have the HHH/Batista vs. Benoit/Orton tag matches. Who knows, I am trying to put a positive spin on it.

Benoit had a long reign by modern standards, I am happy about that. They positioned him as a strong champion and after 18 years, he deserved that and got it. He wasn't the goofy, just lucky to be champ like Angle was his first time around. So I will see where this goes. But honestly, since football is starting again, I won't follow WWE nearly as close as I did earlier in the year.

Memles

I'd be more outraged if I wasn't in a stage of shock that it seems Yukes and THQ stole ideas from an old column I had on 411 like two years ago for Smackdown vs. Raw. I give myself too much credit, though.

Really, I think Orton has potential. I think he can work a mic, he proven with Foley that he is willing to put himself through hell for the business, and he definitely can hold his own. The problem, of course, lies in the fact that none of this means he was pushed well enough to be champion. He needed to have to work for the title, not win a battle royal two weeks ago and catapult himself into the World Title match at a major PPV. That isn't a way to build a new star; that's a way to bury one.

Neo_ZX

Just got back from the show and it was my first time going to a live event. A few notes:

-I got pissed that they didn't have any HHH T-shirts cause I wanted the one he wears now with the wings. They didn't even bring any to sell anywhere!
-The pyro is much louder than it seems on TV. I dunno how Kane does it in the middle of the ring.
-It's very different live. Without commentary, matches actually seemed much shorter to me.
-There was no Cena rap which sucked.
-The crowd is really weird here in TO. They cheer for anyone, and they boo for anyone. Sometimes both. We even booed Edge! The wave was stupid. It went around like 8 times!
-Rey Mysterio and Shannon Moore were about 10 rows behind us at the top of the lower level. They were pretty cool and signed autographs for everyone who approached them. Actually I think ppl only cared about Mysterio.
-Don't know if anyone caught the "Spanish Table" chants on TV.
-Some random kid jumped on top of JBL's car and waved a towel around until security got him.
-I dunno if they'd air Undertaker's slip when walking off the top of the car but that spot through the roof was great! He recovered from the slip pretty well too.
-Benoit's dive into the rail looks really really painful.
-Outside the arena a bum had a sign that said "Give me your change - cause Stone Cold said so" LOL

I think Orton would make a great champ but needed more time. Who knows he might be great. Decent card IMO.

Shinobi

Raoul Duke said:
Fucking awful. There is no excuse for the abortion of a pay per view that I just got home from watching.

Fuck you, WWE. Fuck you, Vince McMahon. I will no longer support your product, you aren't interesting in the slightest any longer. You have destroyed my interest in professional wrestling.

Randy Orton is not, and never will be, World Champion calibre. He is an overpushed pretty boy that wore PEACH FUCKING TRUNKS to the ring tonight for his win. He deserves to be locked in a pit with rabid, syphillis ridden hyenas and mocked as he screams for help. Randy Orton is a heaping bucket of suck, and that's all he will ever be. Consider yourself short at least one viewer until you have Orton publicly executed and beg for my apology. He is many things, but certainly not the future of the company.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Nicely said.

The Toronto crowd rules...ever since the Bret Hart/Canada vs USA angle in '97, they've marched to their own drum. I didn't see any of Summerslam (thank Christ), but I heard they booed the fuck outta Eugene. About damn time I say.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oboy. I was a birthday party all afternoon, so I couldn't see this. Kinda glad I didn't. :(

Orton as champ? Now is not the time.

bjork

Supposedly, Bret was backstage tonight to discuss the dvd details... I wish the details involved getting it out ASAP.

Shinobi

bjork said:
Supposedly, Bret was backstage tonight to discuss the dvd details... I wish the details involved getting it out ASAP.

Ah yeah, makes sense...he was in nearby Buffalo the night before for a reunion of sorts with Jimmy Hart and Jim Neidhart. Heh, wonder if Bret and Ric Flair crossed paths...I heard Flair ducked Bruno Sammartino when he visited Raw backstage a couple weeks ago, and Bret's probably in better shape these days then Bruno.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
its as though they set up Cena in a best of 5 so they could have him win without taking the belt back. Outside of that, there would not have been a single face victory. They should have booked Rhyno/Tajiri vs La Rez instead of the diva BS, and maybe an actual womens match.

First time i've watched wrestling since old UT came back. Pretty awful, best part was the crowd lol and the commentators all spazing out cause they didn't understand what was going on. I do love how the horns on JBL's stretch limo were sellotaped on (when it came down to the ring a fan touch it and it wobbled, then ut took it off later.) They did show UT's slip but he did recover very well. Jericho not winning SHOCKER! Why has he been a midcarder for 3years or so? Put him back in the big time, anythings better than whats currently going on in both camps.

*goes back to not watching wrestling*

Shinobi

I'll never understand why WWE doesn't understand the Canadian crowds (specifically the Toronto crowd). Ever since 1997 when Bret was pushed as a face in Canada and internationally but a heel in the US, we've been doing our thing in terms of cheering and booing a guy. We're so messed up, we managed to turn Hogan face...twice!

I'll never forget the only time Nitro was here in Toronto...from the moment it started all you heard was a loud, sustained, "WE WANT BRET!!" chant, even though he'd been reduced to damn near nothing at that point. Larry "Living Legend" Zybsko did that usual salute to the crowd thing he did at the beginning of every show. The crowd booed his ass back to his chair.
lol.gif
We cheered for a heel Steiner, who a week ago had fucked up Kimberly, and booed a face DDP, who shot at the crowd for being a bunch of jackasses. We completely blew up for Booker T, who looked genuinely stunned by the reaction he received considering it was his first time here. We cheered for a heel Jericho, even after he dissed us. We gave Hogan his first cheers since he helped to found the NWO. And we tore the roof off for Bret, while booing the crap out of Goldberg (and it wasn't because he was called out by Bret...he would've gotten booed anyway).

This market has always been different, so I don't know why WWE hasn't been able to take that into account when booking shows here. We're not going to just get spoonfed, just cheer and boo whatever the company wants like a bunch of little children. The reaction to Eugene isn't a surprise at all...his gimmick is tiresome and has no place being given the sort of push it received. So he took it on the chin. Good for us I say.

Shinobi

Yeah, they should quit going to their biggest markets.
lol.gif
Can't be done...Canada (well much of it anyway) has always been great WWE territory, even during '96 to early '98 when WCW was smacking their ass up in the US.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Shinobi said:
Yeah, they should quit going to their biggest markets.
lol.gif
Can't be done...Canada (well much of it anyway) has always been great WWE territory, even during '96 to early '98 when WCW was smacking their ass up in the US.

Anything can be done.

Shinobi

Yeah, like losing a ton of cash for no reason. It's a silly suggestion...WWE simply need to write their shows to either better adapt to the crowd, or play off it. It really isn't that difficult.

LakeEarth

Shinobi said:
And we tore the roof off for Bret, while booing the crap out of Goldberg (and it wasn't because he was called out by Bret...he would've gotten booed anyway).

I always remember that because when Goldberg came out, they drowned out the audio of the crowd and pumped in a clearly fake "GOLDBERG" chant... I say it was obviously fake not just because it it sounded weird, and not just because Goldberg almost fricken ran to the ring, but because everyone in the crowd was booing, hissing, and giving him the finger while supposedly chanting his name.

Guzim

I was expecting a HHH beatdown, but it was still pretty shocking.

Does this mean Randy and Benoit are a team now :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guzim said:
I was expecting a HHH beatdown, but it was still pretty shocking.

Does this mean Randy and Benoit are a team now :D

I thought Benoit would make the save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom