• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBN > OXM

cvxfreak

I got my free issue of XBN (Xbox Nation) today from one of our dear friends' deal threads (Wario64). Looking through this issue, I'm amazed at how professional this magazine seems to be. I especially love the XPress International feature which lets us know what's going on with the Xbox in the UK and Japan. Looking at their past reviews, what I would expect to get high scores gets a high score. Overall I really like this magazine and if Microsoft were smart, they'd dump the OXM morons in favor of these people.

Well, yeah. We've known that for awhile now. :p

Honestly, I think that XBN is one of the best gaming mags out there, period. It reminds me of the way Next Generation used to be before they went downhill.

SD-Ness

Honestly, I think that XBN is one of the best gaming mags out there, period. It reminds me of the way Next Generation used to be before they went downhill.
R.I.P. Next Gen

/me cries.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
XBN is definitely one of the best magazines out there. I'm still surprised that they did the whole homebrew features for those who had modded Xbox systems. That's risky!

yay Ryan Payton who does the Japanese section! yay me who used to to do it!

I swear, being the Japanese correspondent for an Xbox magazine is the most thankless job in the industry. ;)

shpankey

not an idiot
IMO, Next-Generation never went downhill. In fact, I thought they were at their absolute best right before they shut down. They were one of the only mags to score the 3DO games well (man, there were some 3DO games that blew everything away). I hated it when NG shut down... one of the few honest reviews out there and scored the games dead on with what I thought they should be.

And as far as XBN, yeah, they've gotten a lot better (there was a time the magazine was near worthless). I'd put them just ahead of OXM, if it wasn't for OXM's demo disk.

XBN is definately the better read, I actually want to read all the articles and sometimes re-read the magazine..

OXM gets the bigger scoops and the demo disc is key... Rumor has it the next demo disc will have a playable of Sudeki, which rocks..

I remember when they had the 2 full levels of RTCW on their demo disc before the game came out.. that was awesome.. as around then they often had demos of games that had already released..

jedimike

LuckyBrand said:
XBN is definately the better read, I actually want to read all the articles and sometimes re-read the magazine..

OXM gets the bigger scoops and the demo disc is key... Rumor has it the next demo disc will have a playable of Sudeki, which rocks..

I remember when they had the 2 full levels of RTCW on their demo disc before the game came out.. that was awesome.. as around then they often had demos of games that had already released..

I don't see any problems with OXM. The demos are great and they get the scoop as well as anyone. The Ghost Recon 2 info was amazing.

jedimike said:
I don't see any problems with OXM. The demos are great and they get the scoop as well as anyone. The Ghost Recon 2 info was amazing.

yah I do enjoy OXM, its just that I enjoy the actual content of the XBN more... but both are good..

official dreamcast magazine was pretty great back in the day, IMO.

and nothing beat GAMEFAN...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
OXM was so bad, I gave my free subscription away to a friend.

And my XBN subscription has extended to 2007, woo!!

john tv

Heh, I stopped reading that psychic article the moment I got to the part that said Fable will probably be popular in Japan. :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
chespace said:
Actually, yes. Yes we do. In the July issue, actually.

Also, those of you waiting for our Sudeki review might find it interesting to note that Microsoft isn't sending review copies of the game out to press until it's nearly on the shelves. What's wrong with this picture? :(

It would not shock me, thankfully I did not buy an xbox for it

Sho Nuff

Banned
OXM is utter fanboy crap.

"OMG THIS GAME HAS PXIEL SHADARS YOU WONT SEE THAT ON YOUR GRANDMAS GAYCUBE HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR LOL BOOBIES"

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
chespace said:
Also, those of you waiting for our Sudeki review might find it interesting to note that Microsoft isn't sending review copies of the game out to press until it's nearly on the shelves.

I wish they'd been that thoughtful with the preview code.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
D2M15 said:
I wish they'd been that thoughtful with the preview code.

Not sure what you mean :)

But we've had preview code for a while. Wasn't the entire game though.

Zero said:
R.I.P. Next Generation

/me cries.

Fixed. Next Gen was the name of the magazine that was already downhill from the once mighty Next Generation.

OXM is such junk. With XBN I actually want to read the magazine, not just rip open the bag and take the demo disc out, then throw the magazine on the floor, never to be read, ever. Oh sure, I might flip through the pages and look at the screenshots while I'm sitting on the toilet, but the reviews and articles are such shit. I'm essentially paying $10 a month for a demo disc.

Fujisawa

Banned
I just started receiving XBN in the mail a couple months ago. I have no idea why; I didn't subscribe, but I'm glad it's coming. MUCH better than OXM. I really enjoy the way the articles are written, with a kind of question/answer format that doesn't read like the typical pseudo-PR nonsense. My 2nd favorite gaming mag, right behind Play.

MC Safety

Fujisawa said:
I just started receiving XBN in the mail a couple months ago. I have no idea why; I didn't subscribe, but I'm glad it's coming. MUCH better than OXM. I really enjoy the way the articles are written, with a kind of question/answer format that doesn't read like the typical pseudo-PR nonsense. My 2nd favorite gaming mag, right behind Play.

We thought you'd like a copy. That's our plan, by the by.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
smile13.jpg
LMAO

and to stay on topic, XBN is one of the few actually readable mags today. kudos to the staff, and keep "ask itagaki" going!

BuddyC

Sho Nuff said:
OXM is utter fanboy crap.

"OMG THIS GAME HAS PXIEL SHADARS YOU WONT SEE THAT ON YOUR GRANDMAS GAYCUBE HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR LOL BOOBIES"

but the boobies don't bounce :(

her hair does, though :/

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
john tv said:
Heh, I stopped reading that psychic article the moment I got to the part that said Fable will probably be popular in Japan. :)

that's the whole point, ricky-ardi! she's so fucking wrong or obviously ambiguous about most of these reviews. two birds, one stone!

Fujisawa

Banned
Hahaha, that psychic part threw me for a loop. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be seriuos or what. Was it a 'real' psychic? Or just one of you emulating what a psychic might say?

Oh and thanks for the Riddick help in the double-max prison. Without your little guide I'd still be pissed off, trying to fight Bam (hard mode, 2 health squares), wandering around aimlessly. I never would have thought to buy a shiv from that one guy; I already had one. :/

WarPig

They also give me filthy free money, so three cheers to XBN. Although GMR gets at least five cheers on that scale.

DFS.

Top Bottom