• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 2 In Christmas 2005

BeOnEdge

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
See the problem with that is that your opinion clearly doesn't reflect that of the majority. Or else PGR2 wouldn't be one of the biggest flops this generation has seen and GT wouldn't the far and away the most succesful racing series the industry has seen.

??? i dont see how 200,000+ copies thru like jan/feb is a flop first of all, 2nd of all, you just answered you own reply about the MAJORITY. the MAJORITY bought NFSU last year even though IMO its a crappy game.

OG_Original Gamer said:
You think every gamer will just say, Halo2 is coming out I no longer want MGS3,GT4,GTA, RE4 and MP2:E.

Who the hell said that? Gamers in general want Halo 2. I know it's hard to believe around here at Nintendo Age, but it's true.

Like it or not, there's a lot of people are interested in Halo 2 and there's going to be a lot that'll be picking up the system for the first time because of it. MS is going to market the living shit out of this game and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this as the #1 selling game over the holidays.

Spike

Congrats to yonoid, LuckyBrand, and Hitler Stole My Potato. You three have now officially tipped the scales in Xbox's favour for the worst fanboys.

:p

jarrod said:
Nearly half of GT3's 11 million was done in the bargin bins. Not to mention GT3 enjoyed far less competition, huge casual hype since being one of PS2's headlining products and the benefit of being PS2's first real AAA title on a hungry rapidly growing userbase. GT4 loses all those advantages, and much like GT2, probably won't be able to reach it's predecessor's heights in a more mature marketplace.

How did GT lose it's advantages? With GT it's just like with GTA. People say GTA won't be as succesful now because you have stuff like Driv3r, Getaway and True Crime, but the problem is that none of them actually replace what GT does. It's even similar to what goes on with all the Pokemon style game, yah they might be popular but when Pokemon is released they fly off the shelves because they offer a far more complete experience than any of those other games.

But like I said, the sales will say it all.

"??? i dont see how 200,000+ copies thru like jan/feb is a flop first of all"

You don't see how a game isn't a flop when the original sold over a million and right now this one is struggling to even get there. PGR was a big success, PGR2 is far from it.

BeOnEdge

Banned
factors that will help halo 2 become best seller this christmas

#1-halo 1 is STILL in the top 10 and i dont think its ever left the top 10 since it came out.
#2-pre-orders. somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million. someone needs to pull 2002s numbers for VC and see what the difference is.
#3-halo 2 ad campaine will be HUGE.
#4-MS needs 2004 to end big. judging what this year looks like so far, they wont fail.

edit, solid, what competition did the original PGR have? what other racer was out? Same with gt3. besides years of hype and the comfort of being bundled with the ps2, what other racer was on ps2 at the time that was WANTED? NFSU sold 1,000,000+ copies last december on ps2 alone IIRC. i expect this years version to get even more hype and sell more.

AniHawk

I think Halo 2 is this generation's Ocarina of Time, in terms of potential sales so far. It'll probably produce a similar effect by selling millions, but not really affecting the grand scheme of things. I can't see more than 2 million people buying the game in 2004, tops. Meanwhile, Madden and Pokemon will have had time to sell more than that. Grand Theft Auto might sell over 2 million too, but sales might have also been dilluted as well.

My list:

1. Madden 2005
2. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
3. Pokemon Red Fire/Leaf Green
4. Halo 2
5. Gran Turismo 4

All being well over 1 million for 2004.

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:
factors that will help halo 2 become best seller this christmas

#1-halo 1 is STILL in the top 10 and i dont think its ever left the top 10 since it came out.
#2-pre-orders. somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million. someone needs to pull 2002s numbers for VC and see what the difference is.
#3-halo 2 ad campaine will be HUGE.
#4-MS needs 2004 to end big. judging what this year looks like so far, they wont fail.

1. True, but people are buying it because it's $30, and sometimes cheaper. It's left the top ten plenty of times (though not sure about the Xbox top 10).

2. Those are probably by the stores. The Wind Waker broke the record by consumers at 600,000, iirc. GTA VC broke the record for preorders by retailers, which was something like 4 million.

3. Duh. :)

BeOnEdge

Banned
AniHawk said:
1. True, but people are buying it because it's $30, and sometimes cheaper. It's left the top ten plenty of times (though not sure about the Xbox top 10).

2. Those are probably by the stores. The Wind Waker broke the record by consumers at 600,000, iirc. GTA VC broke the record for preorders by retailers, which was something like 4 million.

3. Duh. :)

no ani. its not by the stores. EB and GS have $5 down pre orders that total somewhere between 1-2million already. this doesnt include the sales that will come from their orders ontop of that or best buy or walmart.

puck1337

I could see things panning out more like this:

1. GTA:SA
2. GT4
3. Pokemon Red/Fire
4. Halo 2
5. Madden 2005 (PS2)

Do people not understand how fucking huge Gran Turismo is, and how long it's been since the last game? I don't care how much competition there is with big titles on the PS2, that game is going to sell like crazy. PROLOGUE sold hundreds of thousands in Japan alone, and it's just as popular here. Don't get me wrong - Halo 2 will make people crazy, and will probably break some kind of pre-order record, but GT4 is going to be at least its equal.

Aaaanyway, on the topic of the Xbox 2 coming out next year, whatever. They'll have to really find a way to wow the public with something other than graphics. The graphical stuff that's being done now on PC is really nice, but it isn't *such* a huge leap from the console world that the market would drop $300+ to buy a new system it without something amazing software-wise.

Spike

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Like it or not, there's a lot of people are interested in Halo 2 and there's going to be a lot that'll be picking up the system for the first time because of it.

It's not going to move the amount of systems you're expecting. The majority of people who are interested in Halo 2 already own an Xbox. Yes, there will be a respectable amount of Xboxes sold because of Halo 2, but at this stage of the generation, I honestly don't see a massive amount of adopters getting aboard the Xbox train.

Everyone knows that the next gen is fast approaching, and alot of casuals that I know, would rather wait until the next gen for another system, because they feel content with the system they already own. That's why backwards compatibility is paramount to success next gen. If people really want Halo 2, why wouldn't they wait an extra year and pick it up with the new system? Then they'll have the added bonus of getting Halo 3 on launch day.

HyperionX

There could be a danger with releasing early: Getting around the end of the next generation (2008-10) they could lose a lot of sales due to a lack of power. Just look how much Xbox1 has caught up with the PS2. Xbox2 may get a head start but PS3 may really catch up as the console wars drag on.

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:
no ani. its not by the stores. EB and GS have $5 down pre orders that total somewhere between 1-2million already. this doesnt include the sales that will come from their orders ontop of that or best buy or walmart.

Believe that's what I heard from people who were talking about GTA VC though. Like to see where you got this.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
How did GT lose it's advantages?
I said those advantages. And it clearly has.

SolidSnakex said:
With GT it's just like with GTA.
Hardly. GTA and GT are in different leagues, you're lending way too much credit to GT here.

SolidSnakex said:
People say GTA won't be as succesful now because you have stuff like Driv3r, Getaway and True Crime, but the problem is that none of them actually replace what GT does.
GTA is also a way bigger success story than GT. GT's more like Mario Kart, in that it was really the first of it's kind and the competiton being so severly lacking is also a key component to it's success (which simply isn't the case for GTA and it's competitive clones). Then again, if EA delivered a quality NFS sim that might get Polyphony scared...

SolidSnakex said:
It's even similar to what goes on with all the Pokemon style game, yah they might be popular but when Pokemon is released they fly off the shelves because they offer a far more complete experience than any of those other games.
Pokemon and GTA are definitely similar in that their brands and recognition transcend gaming, to the point their competition (Ino matter how "good") can't really dethrone them. This just isn't the case for GT however.

Dave Long

Banned
Halo 2 is also M-rated and its biggest selling point will be online play which not even 1/10 of the Xbox gamers have subscriptions for. It's probably going to drive some Live sales, but that's going to require folks to shell out $100 to play Halo 2 instead of $50 for Gran Turismo 4 or whatever.

Sorry gang. Halo 2 is just not that big a game. It will be the best selling Xbox game, maybe. Madden with Live support might even outsell it.

jarrod said:
Pokemon and GTA are definitely similar in that their brands and recognition transcend gaming, to the point their competition (Ino matter how "good") can't really dethrone them. This just isn't the case for GT however.

Tell me when GT's actually been dethroned till then you're arguing on theory and not proof. Because there's no actual proof showing that GT4 isn't going to have the same type of success the previous ones have. If anything there's been hints that it'll be the same or similar considering how big Prologue has been in the territories it's been released in.

BeOnEdge

Banned
one of my best friends is a manager at GS. the 2 stores in my area had 700 orders with $5 down about a week ago. he said that the entire chain was close to 1,000,000 orders with $5 down. EB had an official statement around e3 IIRC where they too had 1,000,000+ pre orders from customers.

"Halo 2 is also M-rated and its biggest selling point will be online play which not even 1/10 of the Xbox gamers have subscriptions for."

whaaaa??? halo has what... 3 million in sales? it doesnt have online play. :) how is the biggest selling point online play? there are halo novels out there for god sake. people want more story and its why bungie is being so secretive. believe it or not, for the fans, i'd say they want story just as much.

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:
one of my best friends is a manager at GS. the 2 stores in my area had 700 orders with $5 down about a week ago. he said that the entire chain was close to 1,000,000 orders with $5 down. EB had an official statement around e3 IIRC where they too had 1,000,000+ pre orders from customers.

You might be the most reliable person on the face of the earth, but you know how that post sounds, don't you?

BeOnEdge

Banned
yeah i know. if the guy was some wacky fanboy i wouldnt believe it either. actually i didnt believe it until EB games said they had an insane amount of orders too.

Spike said:
It's not going to move the amount of systems you're expecting. The majority of people who are interested in Halo 2 already own an Xbox. Yes, there will be a respectable amount of Xboxes sold because of Halo 2, but at this stage of the generation, I honestly don't see a massive amount of adopters getting aboard the Xbox train.

Everyone knows that the next gen is fast approaching, and alot of casuals that I know, would rather wait until the next gen for another system, because they feel content with the system they already own. That's why backwards compatibility is paramount to success next gen. If people really want Halo 2, why wouldn't they wait an extra year and pick it up with the new system? Then they'll have the added bonus of getting Halo 3 on launch day.

Look, I think Halo 2 has a shot of being the #1 selling game over the holidays and you feel otherwise, but it's silly continuing this argument any further 'cause we won't know the answer until next year. Until then, my opinion still stands.

And Jesus Christ, look how reirom can sidetrack a fucking thread. What was supposed to be about the Xbox 2 has now turned into another lame ass holiday sales pissing contest.

BeOnEdge said:
To be fair, there's another reason for this - the game was announced a long time ago, and kept being pushed back. Remember when it was supposed to come out for Christmas? Then spring? People placed preorders because they thought it was coming. Meanwhile, GTA:SA, which can't possibly sell fewer copies than Halo, hasn't been in the system nearly that long.

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:
whaaaa??? halo has what... 3 million in sales? it doesnt have online play. :) how is the biggest selling point online play? there are halo novels out there for god sake. people want more story and its why bungie is being so secretive. believe it or not, for the fans, i'd say they want story just as much.

The game came after the novel...

Subitai

Yeah, it's hard to bet against the set of gamers who own PS2 just for GT3. There are tons of them like there are tons who just own PS2 for Madden.

Hey does anyone have the top 20 for the last 3 months of 01?

Bebpo

Banned
One thing wrong with GT4 argument is that despite all these other racers on the market. None of the competition will offer what GT4 does:

--GT4 will have more cars than any other racer (the casual gamer loves to boast that he has 300 cars in his garage)
--GT4 will have a shitload of tracks (I know PGR2 and RSC2 have a ton also, but those are Xbox only and I doubt NFS2 or Burnout will have track counts near 100)
--GT4 will have more modes and just things to do than any other racer (this is part of what sells the series, having so much to do besides just racing)

Now that's not even taking into account whether it's a good game or not, just what the general gaming audience will know from the back of the package.

I think GT4 will easily pass 2 million in the US and 5 million+ worldwide, but that's just me :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dave Long said:
Halo 2 is also M-rated and its biggest selling point will be online play which not even 1/10 of the Xbox gamers have subscriptions for. It's probably going to drive some Live sales, but that's going to require folks to shell out $100 to play Halo 2 instead of $50 for Gran Turismo 4 or whatever.

Sorry gang. Halo 2 is just not that big a game. It will be the best selling Xbox game, maybe. Madden with Live support might even outsell it.

Woah woah, calm down there tiger!

Halo 2 not that big of game? Halo has probably been off the top 10 charts only 1 time in the last 2.5 years. Count in the people that were holding out for multiplayer, count in the people that were hyped because of graphics, or newer compelling gameplay. Count in the people holding out to buy Xbox for halo2 too.

But you are forgetting a few things, buster! Every live game comes with a 2 month free subscription to XboxLive for new subscribers. Plus Live kits start at $24.99 NOT $49.99.

GT4? or Halo2? I've got my money on Halo2. ALL OF IT.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Tell me when GT's actually been dethroned till then you're arguing on theory and not proof. Because there's no actual proof showing that GT4 isn't going to have the same type of success the previous ones have. If anything there's been hints that it'll be the same or similar considering how big Prologue has been in the territories it's been released in.
I'm saying the potential is there unlike GTA or Pokemon. GT4 will be huge but the series isn't a driving force/phenomenon on the same scale as either Pokemon or GTA, where it actually transcends gaming and infuences popular culture. GT4 (like Mario Kart) might be on top by a wide margin but it's not impenetrable... and honestly GT4 just doesn't have the same "buzz" GT3 did imo, don't be shocked when it's only 5th or 6th in the top 10 overall this year.

Dave Long

Banned
You guys betting on Halo 2 are going to lose your shirts. Whatever you do, don't say you'll eat your hat if it doesn't end the year number one because I'm going to have to supply a lot of ketchup if you do.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Plus Live kits start at $24.99 NOT $49.99." - Dopeyfish

Where the heck do you buy them at that price.

Live kits START at 69.99
A subscription CARD is 49.99 (no headset)
3 Months and a Head Set = 39.99

element

Halo 2 is also M-rated and its biggest selling point will be online play which not even 1/10 of the Xbox gamers have subscriptions for.
Ummm, its biggest selling point is IT IS FREAKING HALO 2!!!!, online is a bonus. And M-Rating? What has GTA, True Crime, Silent Hill, and RE taught us?

Madden with Live support might even outsell it.
ummm, no.

Live kits START at 69.99
3 month with Mechassult and Moto GP is $34.99

AniHawk

Suikoguy said:

Live kits START at 69.99

Well, MS sells headsets + year subscriptions + Crimson Skies to guys in retail for $29.99.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
To be fair, there's another reason for this - the game was announced a long time ago, and kept being pushed back. Remember when it was supposed to come out for Christmas? Then spring? People placed preorders because they thought it was coming. Meanwhile, GTA:SA, which can't possibly sell fewer copies than Halo, hasn't been in the system nearly that long.

actually thanks for pointing that out. it makes the numbers even more believable. :) halo 2 will pretty much have an extra year of backed up pre-orders. i didnt know the novel came before the game. hahahaha. i'm not one of the halo hardcore. i dont even own the first but its power is pretty apparent.

"I think GT4 will easily pass 2 million in the US"

i actually see that too. 2 million for q4 but the problem is that i see halo 2 doing even more. i think the even bigger problem is that EVERYONE is underestimating holiday 2004s sales. i think this is gonna be one of the biggest holiday seaons in a loooooooooooong time saleswise.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Suikoguy said:

Live kits START at 69.99

doh. ok it's 39.99 starting price :p i thought i saw 24.99 but maybe it was a deal.

It's the 3 month starter kit

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
AniHawk said:
Well, MS sells headsets + year subscriptions + Crimson Skies to guys in retail for $29.99.

Retail =! Casual Consumer!?

Why on earth would Retail people even come into this arguement, I was under the impression he was trying to tell us that Xbox live kits are only 24.99.

I ordered xbox live a couple days ago for 29.99 + shipping for the Crimson skies bundle, but i'm in the severe minority of working at a gamestore, and wanted to take advantage of it before I quit.

EDIT:

Ok, it was clarified, *whew* i thought I was losing it

jarrod said:
I'm saying the potential is there unlike GTA or Pokemon. GT4 will be huge but the series isn't a driving force/phenomenon on the same scale as either Pokemon or GTA, where it actually transcends gaming and infuences popular culture. GT4 (like Mario Kart) might be on top by a wide margin but it's not impenetrable... and honestly GT4 just doesn't have the same "buzz" GT3 did imo, don't be shocked when it's only 5th or 6th in the top 10 overall this year.

It actually has more buzz among the GT community mainly because alot of GT3's hype was taken away because it originally wasn't even meant to be GT3 it was just meant to be the proper version of GT2, it just evolved so much that they turned it into GT3. So alot of people didn't get on the hype wagon for awhile. GT4's has been building since it was announced.

BeOnEdge

Banned
"And Jesus Christ, look how reirom can sidetrack a fucking thread. What was supposed to be about the Xbox 2 has now turned into another lame ass holiday sales pissing contest."

i believe its more the fact that no one wants new consoles in 2005. :)

AniHawk

Suikoguy said:
Retail =! Casual Consumer!?

Why on earth would Retail people even come into this arguement, I was under the impression he was trying to tell us that Xbox live kits are only 24.99.

I ordered xbox live a couple days ago for 29.99 + shipping for the Crimson skies bundle, but i'm in the severe minority of working at a gamestore, and wanted to take advantage of it before I quit.

You seem upset. Are you upset?

Kudie

jarrod said:

I agree. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is all the sales that GT3 had due to being a budget game and a pack-in for a while. I think the anticipation, as jarrod is saying, is not going to be as high as say, Halo 2, RE4, GTA:SA and MGS3.

Also, keep in mind that GT4 will have some competition this time around in the form of NFSU2. Although, the two games are not anywhere similar other than being a racing game, I think that the casual/mainstream gamer may opt to pick up NFSU2 this holiday season instead of GT4.

So, for this holiday season 2004 only, I think GT4 might not be in the top 5. I predict

1. GTA: SA
2. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
3. Madden
4. Halo 2
5. MGS3

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It actually has more buzz among the GT community mainly because alot of GT3's hype was taken away because it originally wasn't even meant to be GT3 it was just meant to be the proper version of GT2, it just evolved so much that they turned it into GT3. So alot of people didn't get on the hype wagon for awhile. GT4's has been building since it was announced.
Nope, ever since GT2000 was initially shown the casuals were chomping at the bit for it. It was the first taste of what PS2 promised... that's unfortunately something GT4 can't hold a candle too in terms of hype potential. Next time we see that will be GT5 on PS3...

Subitai

Ok, I didn't realize that Halo was only behind GT3 by 300k in the US. I think NFSU2 sales will drag on GT4 initially just enough with casuals for Halo 2 to get ahead. I mean, NFSU was last holiday's biggest title in the US.

BeOnEdge

Banned
where does pokemon keep coming from? and why is MGS3 in there? hasnt splinter cell already sold more? theres ALOT of competition within genres.

Subitai

BeOnEdge said:
where does pokemon keep coming from? and why is MGS3 in there? hasnt splinter cell already sold more? theres ALOT of competition within genres.
I think Green/Red Pokemon will be picked up with all the new DS's instead of DS games.

MGS3 has lost a lot of luster with casuals and critics, but Splinter Cell hasn't sold more on Xbox (1.4 mil) or PS2 (700k). Combinded yes, but I don't think counts with many people.

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:

Pokemon sold 3.3 million last year in the US. Plus, it's being released before the holiday season officially begins, and before most of the other games except Madden on that list.

What a bunch of dorks. Take a break from this thread, talk to a girl, then come back and read your replies. You'll be shocked.

BeOnEdge

Banned
yeah, if 2 and the GC versions are any indications, i dont see MGS3 being in there. honestly though, a painful truth i learned last year is advertising>>>>>>>everything else when it comes to holiday sales. whichever of the big hitters saturate the airwaves more is the one that will take holiday 2k4

edit..

i agree mighty. for total Q4 though.

HalfPastNoon said:
What a bunch of dorks. Take a break from this thread, talk to a girl, then come back and read your replies. You'll be shocked.

my girl's laying right here. where's yours? this thread>>>>evening TV.

cvxfreak

Worldwide, I think Pokemon has the battle won. It and Ruby and Sapphire will take up the top two slots this generation. Worldwide for this winter/year, I see it as:

1. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3. Madden 2005 (PS2)
4. Gran Turismo 4
5. Something else (MGS3)

element

it is crazy seeing people think Halo 2 won't be one of the best sellers of the year. It is a worldwide release. It will do 3 million in 2 months.

Top Bottom