• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox at gamescom 2016, no press conference, will hold fan event instead

jbug617

Banned
I wonder if they are waiting to see Sony reveal Neo before saying more with Scorpio.

Halo Wars 2 is not this year? What do they have for 2016 then?

Recore
Forza Horizon 3
Gears 4
Dead Rising 4

No big November release but a first time December release

Ah. I hate when they trot that stuff around and use it as their PR line. Saying 'record-setting' all over the place just sounds corny as fuck. It seems like they will make up any old adjective, irrespective of how things go.
Record setting, in their own words, because it was their most watched/talked conference ever.

Widge

I seem to remember Microsoft didn't really have a Gamescom presence anyway until recently.

Sony were always there showcasing new stuff outside of what got announced at E3. Microsoft didn't actually make enough games in the latter 360 cycle to appear. I would only imagine that dropping off from Gamescom suits their pattern of investing in early cycle games before stepping away and hoping third party fill the void.

Chris1

So no conference? that sucks, I expected them to have one to show off some holiday 2017 games..
Halo Wars 2 is not this year? What do they have for 2016 then?

Recore
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Dead Rising 4

Plus a few indies like Cuphead etc.

Zedox

I'm not expecting anything from Microsoft game wise until next year now with gamescom not having a briefing. I think that Spring event will show off new games while also showing off Scorpio (doesn't make sense to show a box without content). I do hope for a X16 event though just to know what's coming. No matter I still have ReCore and Titanfall 2 this year.

For a few years they used to have their own show where they'd make some announcements.

Look for X06, which I believe was the last one in this format. They announced Pgr4, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Splinter cell Conviction and Halo wars all in that conference.

Something like that this year would be amazing.

MisterR

Makes sense for them to skip. They don't seem to have anything new to show; it would be pointless. The lack of any new IP announcements this year from Microsoft is troubling.

I'm getting kind of worried about that too. Would be nice to get some hint of what's coming later in 2017 and into 2018.

Gamescom as a press event is done.

Well, day 1 is for press only and who is to say next year they don't have a confrence with Scorpio coming out? I'm sure they want a lot of eyes on them and the games coming out for it.

But you're probably right. Might not be a good place/time for a press confrence anymore.

Majine

Banned
I'd appreciate the return of "X", something for later in the year (or early in the year) where you are as far away from E3 where there are new stuff to be shown.

And Microsoft in particular should be interested in showing they are still relevant enough to pull off their own event.

Salty Hippo

Considering how terrible their E3 was in terms of new game annoucements, this surprises me a little bit. But then again it's Microsoft, making baffling decisions is their specialty

Finaj

Considering how terrible their E3 was in terms of new game annoucements, this surprises me a little bit. But then again it's Microsoft, making baffling decisions is their specialty

What I actually like is that they don't seem to announce too many games years and years ahead of when they actually come out (with some exceptions like Quantum Break and Scalebound).

ChaosXVI

I'd appreciate the return of "X", something for later in the year (or early in the year) where you are as far away from E3 where there are new stuff to be shown.

And Microsoft in particular should be interested in showing they are still relevant enough to pull off their own event.

Oh wow that takes me back. I completely forgot that Microsoft used to have their very own PSX type event way back when. I can't imagine they'd bring that back though.

wapplew

What I actually like is that they don't seem to announce too many games years and years ahead of when they actually come out (with some exceptions like Quantum Break and Scalebound).

And Crack down, Phatom dust, Fable legends.

Salty Hippo

The disappointing thing for me is not even the quantity. It's the lack of variety and risk. Two fucking zombie game sequels and a Forza that is already perpetually announced as a yearly franchise. That was their E3. In an event that people hype to see new games or long awaited sequels, that's a terrible showing.

I guess Microsoft Studios don't have anything else to show for sometime now, they did announce a lot of games 2 years ago that haven't released yet even though they only announced 1 new game a E3 this year. I think they need more time for another E3 like press conference.

Finaj

The disappointing thing for me is not even the quantity. It's the lack of variety and risk. Two fucking zombie game sequels and a Forza that is already perpetually announced as a yearly franchise. That was their E3. In an event that people hype to see new games or long awaited sequels, that's a terrible showing.

Is Microsoft really in a position to be taking risks on software?

From a Shannon Loftis interview at E3

I head first party game publishing for Xbox One or Windows 10 or any of our platforms. We right now have, i think, 14 games in development. We talked about four of those this morning – Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore. We also have Crackdown 3, which we announced has now been moved into 2017, and there are a few other ones that aren’t quite ready to be talked about yet.

So 17 games in production and we know of - Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore and I would then imaigine that Crackdown 3, Gears 4, Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2.

Mind is a blank right now, what else is out there that we know of?

So 17 games in production and we know of - Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore and I would then imaigine that Gears 4, Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2.

Phantom Dust and Forza 7, Halo 6 obviously are sequels that are in development but can't be talked about now.

flkraven

So 17 games in production and we know of - Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore and I would then imaigine that Crackdown 3, Gears 4, Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2.

Isn't Phantom Dust still technically being developed? Also, wouldn't be surprised if 'Forza 7' and 'Minecraft Realms' were on that list.

Sydle

You can add Halo 6 and Forza 7.

wapplew

If AoE4 is not one of the 14...I'll be pissed.

Microsoft generally has, what, two press conferences a year?

Since Xbox and Windows 10 are one entity, we can still looking forward to build or surface showcase.

Finaj

More than ever? Unless they want to continue to milk their tentpole franchises dry until there's nothing left that sells.

Well, their new IP certainly hasn't sold well (Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive) while games like Forza and Halo continue to do well.

Have they been given a reason to make new IP that will probably sell poorly?

Microsoft generally has, what, two press conferences a year?
Yep. E3 and Gamescom is it.

More than ever? Unless they want to continue to milk their tentpole franchises dry until there's nothing left that sells.
That is exactly what they'll have to do. Even their largest IP dropped off dramatically from the previous iterations. MS is just trying to leverage as much as they can right now. Investing in a big new AAA IP only for it to perform poorly would be a large hit.

I do agree that the lineup is bland though.

wapplew

Well, their new IP certainly hasn't sold well (Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive) while games like Forza and Halo continue to do well.

For first party, sales should take a backseat, diversify your library is more import as a platform holder.

wachie

No conference is surprising. They should be concentrating more on EU as their presence is literally non-existent elsewhere in terms of WW.

Salty Hippo

If that's the kind of ambition they have then they might as well get the fuck out and go third party. What's the point of being a platform holder if you're willing to take nearly zero risks?

Top Bottom