• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Addresses Studio Closures: "I have to run a bussiness"

Draugoth

Gold Member
07202311453019.jpg

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has addressed the recent closure of a number of studios at Microsoft's gaming business, insisting he has to make "hard decisions" to run a sustainable business.

Speaking to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey at IGN Live, Spencer briefly commented on the shock decision to shut Redfall developer Arkane Austin and Hi-Fi Rush developer Tango Gameworks as part of sweeping layoffs affecting some 1,900 staff.

"The closure of any team is hard obviously on the individuals there, hard on the team," Spencer said. "I haven't been talking publicly about this, because right now is the time for us to focus on the team and the individuals. It's obviously a decision that's very hard on them, and I want to make sure through severance and other things that we're doing the right thing for the individuals on the team. It's not about my PR, it's not about Xbox PR. It's about those teams.

"In the end, I've said over and over, I have to run a sustainable business inside the company and grow, and that means sometimes I have to make hard decisions that frankly are not decisions I love, but decisions that somebody needs to go make.

"We will continue to go forward. We will continue to invest in what we're trying to go do in Xbox and build the best business we can, which ensures we can continue to do shows like the one we just did."

Source

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

He should run it better then.
Go on, teach him how it's done, sitting on your desk while eating some Doritos.

computer nerd GIF by South Park

Edit: Just want to clarify that I'm not defending Phil Spencer decision to close Tango or Arkane Austin. I was poking fun at the fact that some people seems to believe it's easy to run business (which I don't agree). It was meant to be playful, but I see that some people took it to the heart. For that I apologize.

Last edited:
Microsoft: We need more Games (2018)

Microsoft: We bought Bethesda for more games (2020)

Microsoft: We love HiFi Rush it's a great game (2023)

Microsoft: We need to run a business so we shut down studios that don't sell many games (2024)

Why did you buy the studios then if you're going to cut and run after 1 failure partially caused by GamePass?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Now release good games and people won't care.
People understand that it’s a business, people are just confused why he doesn’t run it well. That way it is more sustainable and their employees can expect a longer tenure within Microsoft instead of getting shafted.
Both good points.

Shutting studios but also has lots of leeway to run the business how they want to in response to the $70 billion acquiisition. If he has that kind of access to funds why is he closing down studios? It doesn't make sense.

How this guy is still in charge of running Xbox I will never know.
Disagree with this. Spencer definitely doesn't have access to $70bn to keep things ticking over. You must be able to see the difference.

Kssio_Aug

After leaving a laugh reaction, I felt the need to post to clarify that I am laughing at you, not with you
That's alright, brother! Your posts also entertain me a lot without you realizing it, so I'm glad to return the favor sometimes!

All Good Love GIF by Great Big Story

Last edited:
Both good points.

Disagree with this. Spencer definitely doesn't have access to $70bn to keep things ticking over. You must be able to see the difference.

In the interview he stated they have lots of leeway to run things how they want to when questioned about getting more looks from your boss over the $70 Billion acquisition.

Seems to suggest they have the full financial backing of papa MS if they need access to more cash. Unless i read into that wrong.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Shutting studios but also has lots of leeway to run the business how they want to in response to the $70 billion acquiisition. If he has that kind of access to funds why is he closing down studios? It doesn't make sense.

How this guy is still in charge of running Xbox I will never know.
i do not think that was phil that was phils dumb ass boss at the top.

Saber

I think people know pretty well what your job is. The point is wheter you're doing well or not, which is probably the latter.

Go on, teach him how it's done, sitting on your desk while eating some Doritos.

computer nerd GIF by South Park

You come to a discussion gaming forum to post this low effort snarky comment even knowing that includes you as well?
Whats next? He earns more than people on here so no one is allowed to say anything? Cheez dude, thats a 10 year old rot brain level posting here.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't really have an issue with Arkane Austin closing, but I'm sure they could have found a better alternative to Tango if they really needed to cut back. Maybe Mikami's exit was more damaging to the studio than has been publicly revealed. Not sure I buy that, though.

Pejo

I understand his statement here, and I agree that running a business isn't all dreams and joy, but it seems he's pretending that a large part of the blame could be pointed towards his shit decisions over the past few years and mismanagement that led to the need to shutter the studios. If it was all hit after hit and realistic budgets/good profits, there would be no need to shut them down.

His poor management and particularly the poor management/directoin of people he puts in charge have a direct correlation to the people in the trenches losing their job and their studio.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't really have an issue with Arkane Austin closing, but I'm sure they could have found a better alternative to Tango if they really needed to cut back. Maybe Mikami's exit was more damaging to the studio than has been publicly revealed. Not sure I buy that, though.

I feel like Arkane got a raw deal as well considering Phil Spencer was defending the studio after the Redfall debacle. Acts like he has your back and then stabs it.

Doom85

I feel like Arkane got a raw deal as well considering Phil Spencer was defending the studio after the Redfall debacle. Acts like he has your back and then stabs it.

Shocked Uh Oh GIF
Lies Liar GIF

Edit: to clarify, I know this is an old article, it just sounds like they said some bullshit back then given what happened later.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
Most super successful CEO's are either psychopaths or people with a high degree of psychopatic tendencies - in other words asshole human beings. It's easy for them to not care about their surroundings.

Should these kind of people be respected? Of course not. Deep down, humanity as we know it today, has been built on the foundations - which go back the very first humans ever - of cooperation, love and altruism. Without these essential pillars humans wouldn't have been able to get successful as a species - and there would be not human society.

In human history, most psychopaths haven have been weedet out by natural selection, because psychopatic traits are the polar opposite of cooperation, love and altruism and have been a massive hindrance to the overall natural fitness of the human species as a whole; it's only in modern times due to the rise of capitalism that these type of people or rather natural anomalies - suddenly - have found a knew breeding ground in which they can become very powerful through economic means (money).

Top Bottom