• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer to Kick Off PAX West 2024 With Storytime Speech

Calverz

Banned
Why are you triggered? Want a snickers?
I’ll have a good ‘ol American hersheys.
Mel Gibson America GIF

I'm not really holding my breath, but when you look at it:

- There's already a massive leadership structure under him, meaning that his replacement can be promoted in-house.
- He's coming on stage to talk about his story and career, who does that except for someone who is planning to call time on said career?
- He's getting on in years and looks very visibly aged in just a few years.
- He had his "career moment" when he landed the ABK deal, whether we like it or not, that's gonna land him legendary status in business suit-world and he's gonna be invited to a great deal of business talks.
- He is increasingly gathering negative attention from gamers because of various factors, the change in sentiment on him in 2023-2024 has been astounding imo.
- Phil "leaving" can be a believable rationale for major changes to Xbox and MS gaming strategy.
All excellent points indeed. I guarantee they will make sure to replace him with none other than Sarah Bond. MS being the woke company they are will look so brave for having a woman of color taking over the reigns of Xbox. Watch it happen if he does call it quits.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
All excellent points indeed. I guarantee they will make sure to replace him with none other than Sarah Bond. MS being the woke company they are will look so brave for having a woman of color taking over the reigns of Xbox. Watch it happen if he does call it quits.
Does it still count as woke if she's qualified?

Ryan is soooo friggin' corny it hurts.

I'm not really holding my breath, but when you look at it:

- There's already a massive leadership structure under him, meaning that his replacement can be promoted in-house.
- He's coming on stage to talk about his story and career, who does that except for someone who is planning to call time on said career?
- He's getting on in years and looks very visibly aged in just a few years.
- He had his "career moment" when he landed the ABK deal, whether we like it or not, that's gonna land him legendary status in business suit-world and he's gonna be invited to a great deal of business talks.
- He is increasingly gathering negative attention from gamers because of various factors, the change in sentiment on him in 2023-2024 has been astounding imo.
- Phil "leaving" can be a believable rationale for major changes to Xbox and MS gaming strategy.

Let's hope you're right. But I'm gonna laugh on end if his replacement is Matt Booty or Aaron Greenberg. Those dudes have earned nothing but disappointment. And Sarah Bond is already overseeing Xbox hardware, which is a lateral thing for MS Gaming at this point so doubt it'd be her.

Maybe they'll do a 2 or 3-co CEO thing, kind of like SIE did recently with Herman & Hideaki. Considering the number of teams now and various stuff they're pushing, that's the only approach for a successor that probably makes any sense.

Game executive to speak at gaming event. I'm sure someone will find a reason to be mad about this.

Just hold on a sec ...

An executive which shouldn't be an executive after all the fiascos and broken promises, that's the problem.

You or i could get sacked for the minimal thing at our jobs - and especially regarding our productivity (the lack thereof that is) but, apparently, these multimillionaires keep landing on the proverbial golden parachutes, funny how that works eh ?

Frankly, I don't know how him and Greenberg still have their jobs

Last edited:

Astray

Let's hope you're right. But I'm gonna laugh on end if his replacement is Matt Booty or Aaron Greenberg.
Booty is arguably the top pick for the job, especially if Microsoft goes full 3P. He's already running most of them!

I can see Nadella thinking that he needs that Kotick/Riccitello type of bastard overseeing the studios and cutting the fat.

That’s the problem, she isn’t.
Says who?

Her last job she helped take T mobile from dead last to buying out Sprint Mobile- one of the top 3 at the time. And guess what, she didnt have anything to do with cellphones either before taking the role.

Clearly she would be qualified if ever put into Phil's role cause she has experience doing just that.

Don't just say "she isn't". Back it up.

Or maybe just say you got a problem with coloured people in charge. Or women. Or both. At least its better than pretending you actually know what the fuck you are talking about.
Cant wait for your "Its DEI" reply.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Says who?

Her last job she helped take T mobile from dead last to buying out Sprint Mobile- one of the top 3 at the time. And guess what, she didnt have anything to do with cellphones either before taking the role.

Clearly she would be qualified if ever put into Phil's role cause she has experience doing just that.

Or maybe just say you got a problem with coloured people in charge. Or women. Or both. At least its better than pretending you actually know what the fuck you are talking about.
The problem is that you replace a bean counter with another bean counter you’re not addressing the problem. Not that current Xbox has anything but bean counters but their quality as making money in the short term isn’t the problem. It’s their American philosophy of managing that has sunk all good will and hopes in Sony and Microsoft.

Says who?

Her out of touch reply in her video when asked about the studio closures summed it up. She isn’t suited for leading the brand period. The only person with a problem is you with your assumptions and cursing. Good day.

Last edited:

knguyen

What was the purpose of the interview? Phil got to play his "I am on your side" role one more and that guy Ryan got his "I am Phil's friend, I am so important" fantasy satisfied. Wonder what kind of labor Ryan had to do to make this fake interview materialized.

Top Bottom