• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

Ascend

No, they are botching nextgen again with making a weak ass console which will be the baseline for nextgen. Fuck them. That's why I wouldn't mind third party games becoming PS5 exclusives.
It has all the relevant tech to support games for next gen. The only significant difference is that the console will render at lower resolutions.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Great deal tbh ..

But I’m not that stupid to buy something because it has a cheap price .. that alone won’t make me do it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
With what games though? This first time in console gaming a console isn't launching with a first party exclusive title
I think when it comes to online gaming and GamePass games it could be attractive for those who mainly plays 3rd party games. Will see, but I sense some logic in this product, it's not OG XB1, that's for sure.

However that "leak" announcement was super weird.

makaveli60

It has all the relevant tech to support games for next gen. The only significant difference is that the console will render at lower resolutions.
Imagine a game designed with the PS5 and XSX in mind only, targeting 1440p (or even 1080p) at 30fps. Now that won't happen because of the S. I don't think anyone would dare to release something for it under 1080p. They would be ridiculed by a lot of dense people who think resolution=graphics. Unfortunately this is how it is.

DonJorginho

Banned
With what games though? This first time in console gaming a console isn't launching with a first party exclusive title
Cyberpunk 2077 with a next gen upgrade
Next Gen upgrade Sports games
Next gen ubisoft ports
Control UE
And maybe COD BO CW if you want that

That's it lmao

Aion002

The price is great.

The only thing that they need right now is to show how commited they are to support both consoles until the end of the gen.

They need games!

jimbojim

Banned
For an ERP of £250/$299, The Xbox Series S offers a really great deal for people planning to upgrade this year.

Make what you will of the rumoured 4TFs it holds, but the Series S if the full leaked video is anything to go by, offers support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.

That is a great deal for £250, they're obviously planning to make up losses with this by it being discless, but this means for many people, Next Gen is not so unaffordable on launch, I mean this will retail for the same price as you can get a PS4 Slim on Argos on it's own atm, so it to me anyway, screams of great pricing.

Now obviously Sony will have to respond, they love to undercut/rival competitors price wise so I can see them retailing the PS5 Digital Edition for around £300 which would offer them a bit more leeway with customers, as despite how beloved Sony are and the vast majority of people want to get a PS5 over an Xbox Series X, this Series S will appeal to almost every casual buyer and parent as the affordable way to entertain for many years to come.

Me personally? I will be getting this and a PS5 as this means I can experience Gamepass and all it has to offer for a very affordable price, whilst still getting my preferred choice down the line in the PS5 (when HZD II comes out will be when I pounce).

Series-S.png

Depends. If just one of the PS5s is priced 100$ more, then no.

T-Cake

So is that black disc the intake fan with the APU directly underneath blowing air out of the holes of the top? Or the other way around? It's one reason I don't entertain building a PC because I can't get the air flow right. 😂

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not sure I agree ( or disagree). 512 gig HDD, means you probably get about 400-450 of hdd space which isn't that hot. That being said, it seems great for last generation games getting upgrades.

Shouldn't be seen as bad though. Looks really interesting and I would love to see the games.

makaveli60

Thank goodness! I'd be taking my Xbox Series X back to the shop if it only did 1080p30.
Even if the game looked like a CGI movie? Why is resolution that much important? Are you the kind of people I was talking about in my post? Which looks better? Minecraft in 4k or any other AAA game for let's say from the last 10 years in 720P?

Not sure I agree ( or disagree). 512 gig HDD, means you probably get about 400-450 of hdd space which isn't that hot. That being said, it seems great for last generation games getting upgrades.

Shouldn't be seen as bad though. Looks really interesting and I would love to see the games.

I think they expect to sell some 1TB SSD memory cards.

Last edited:

Jaybe

People will read and hear about the next Xbox coming and how its $299. MS just put a huge stick in Sonys wheel.

Sony will have to get a deep haircut with their disc less version of PS5 if they do not want to be perceived as more expensive - even if PS5 (with disc reader) and Xbox Series X is the same price.

I bet Sony is scratching their head right now.

No. Sony will continue to sell the PS4 and PS4 Pro or perhaps another iteration of them to win the budget 1080p consumer.

Pretty much this all over. Including here, to a lesser extent.

And it's great as an all-digital box, and I read on one of the sites that the Series S will have an expansion port to increase the SSD storage (not unlike what the Series X has been confirmed to have). So once Microsoft confirms the expansion capabilities, price, and the availability of that expansion, we'll see how feasible an upgrade to the SSD truly is. As it stands now...450GB really isn't a lot, but not a lot is needed early on in a new generation, right?

Plus, you can still use your USB hard drive for anything that is XBox One or earlier, so no need to clutter the SSD with anything non-Series X/S related.

Last edited:

Ascend

Imagine a game designed with the PS5 and XSX in mind only, targeting 1440p (or even 1080p) at 30fps. Now that won't happen because of the S. I don't think anyone would dare to release something for it under 1080p. They would be ridiculed by a lot of dense people who think resolution=graphics. Unfortunately this is how it is.
Not necessarily. There are a bunch of graphical details that can be reduced to still make it run fine on an S.

The Xbox One X is going to be a much larger problem than the Series S, simply because the former does not have an SSD or the velocity architecture.

T-Cake

Even if the game looked like a CGI movie? Why is resolution that much important? Are you the kind of people I was talking about in my post? Which looks better? Minecraft in 4k or any other AAA game for let's say from the last 10 years in 720P?

It's a psychological thing. Digital Foundry have ruined so many games for me because they point out differences between platform versions. And then when I play, I'm looking out for said differences instead of enjoying the game.

DeaDPo0L84

The limited storage will be a problem. I'd have to upgrade to 2tb asap which adds $100-$200 to the price right off the bat.

Not gonna lie I’m considering it - never cared about resolution or FPS. And don’t need to have some large library of games on my console constantly- I usually just delete whatever game was on there I’ve already played and move on to the next. I could see those things being problems for like hardcore gamers - but people like me? Nah that sounds right.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Not necessarily. There are a bunch of graphical details that can be reduced to still make it run fine on an S.

The Xbox One X is going to be a much larger problem than the Series S, simply because the former does not have an SSD or the velocity architecture.
I honestly wish that you will be right and this is what will happen. But I fear it won't...

kriolo

so now.. a PC gamer who has gamepass for just 299 can boy a next gen console... And now maybe the PS5 Digital buyer user is now thinking in buying the regular ps5 and the series S... But for the Xbox Series X buyer as me, maybe i'm switching for PS5 regular and Series S... In every situation microsoft has a new user.It is a great value proposition.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think having a gimped sku they need to support is going to hold them back especially once we get out of the early part of the gen.

Basically devs are going to target S as the lowest common denominator, and then just scale up the res or framerate for X, because optimizing for X and scaling down is going to be problematic in a lot of cases, especially those that would look to push the next gen envelope.

The price is very attractive obviously but it's a potential albatross in the long run, and even more so if we get Pro models down the road.

kriolo

I think having a gimped sku they need to support is going to hold them back especially once we get out of the early part of the gen.

Basically devs are going to target S as the lowest common denominator, and then just scale up the res or framerate for X, because optimizing for X and scaling down is going to be problematic in a lot of cases, especially those that would look to push the next gen envelope.

The price is very attractive obviously but it's a potential albatross in the long run, and even more so if we get Pro models down the road.
i'm not a tech guru or anything, but that's just saying the RTX 3070 is holding Back the RTX 3090.

Tomeru

So the accepted notion is that this console will run games at the same fidelty as series x - at lower resolution?

Alan Wake

It's indeed a great offer. Like most here I'm more interested in the Series X, but I can definitely see how the Series S will offer everything a lot of people want this holiday.

MilkLizard

It looks like a nice device but the all digital is killing it for me. How am I supposed to get all my 360 games on there? I thought backwards compatibility is one the major advantages of XBOX?

Papacheeks

Banned
I sense fear at the house of Jim Ryan.

The most successful products start from a good price.
Series S library and infrastructure aint that bad either.

It will be big.

What big game is MS launching with again?

Their big App is Gamepass, and even that there's nothing so far that says buy me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
1440p 120 and ray tracing.

4 TFlops.

😂

do you know how that 4 tf compares to a xbox series x? ... me neither.. TF do not scale the same across different architectures I mean the new marvel games runs very well on the xbox x and this is more powerful than that.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For an ERP of £250/$299, The Xbox Series S offers a really great deal for people planning to upgrade this year.

Make what you will of the rumoured 4TFs it holds, but the Series S if the full leaked video is anything to go by, offers support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.

That is a great deal for £250, they're obviously planning to make up losses with this by it being discless, but this means for many people, Next Gen is not so unaffordable on launch, I mean this will retail for the same price as you can get a PS4 Slim on Argos on it's own atm, so it to me anyway, screams of great pricing.

Now obviously Sony will have to respond, they love to undercut/rival competitors price wise so I can see them retailing the PS5 Digital Edition for around £300 which would offer them a bit more leeway with customers, as despite how beloved Sony are and the vast majority of people want to get a PS5 over an Xbox Series X, this Series S will appeal to almost every casual buyer and parent as the affordable way to entertain for many years to come.

Me personally? I will be getting this and a PS5 as this means I can experience Gamepass and all it has to offer for a very affordable price, whilst still getting my preferred choice down the line in the PS5 (when HZD II comes out will be when I pounce).

Series-S.png

Can't wait to see games running on it.

A.Romero

This is very good for their strategy, it will fly off the shelves.

It's going to be great for Gamepass (BC) and for Xcloud... However, I feel it could be tough on newer games. Hopefully their tools are good enough so it doesn't stop Xbox Next Gen games from being great.

If it sells a lot, third parties won't ignore it and it might impact the games quality for PS5 and PC as well.

Calverz

I have read enough reviews here to know that is not a site for me. I can take the constant fanboy warring but I am not a fan of censorship and cancel culture.
Yea it is really really bad. I literally alluded to sony fans reacting in a way if something was announced by xbox and got a ban for it. I knew i was done with that site. The censorship has gotten absolutely ridiculous over there.
I also got hounded by a dude with a rainbow avatar all because i said i really liked watching dr disrespect and told him i can enjoy whatever i wanted to. He then hounded me demanding i answer for docs sordid past. It was ridiculous. And of course i reported it and nothing happened. I didnt even bait the guy. 🤣

Romulus

The problem is the if the ps5 digital comes in at $400. Over 2x the gpu power, way better SSD for $100 more lol

That would be a great value actually. A generic 1tb drive costs 150 cdn here. I'd expect this to be more.

Well i mean, if they want them to sell, selling a 1TB close to 150$ canadian no tax isnt gonna cut it. Its half the price of the console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom