• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Lets not kid ourselves. Next gen will be a bigger gap than this gen with PS5 dominating
I'll take that bet! Not with Series X, S and Xcloud. Not saying Xbox platform will dominate Sony for sure. But Sony wont dominate like they did this gen. No.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
What I want to know is the Backwards compatibility...will all the games be available digitally? Mainly the original xbox and 360...that's what I'm really interested in.
All games currently BC and a few new ones on the horizon will be BC on Series S and X both. That includes legacy titles.

While I’ll opt for the more powerful series X, I’m very happy to see the same CPU, raytracing, and hard drive spec in the series S. This bodes well for developers. It sounds like dialing back resolution will be the main difference between series S and X versions.

IDappa

No clue why people think this thing is ugly, yeah the black around the vents is a bit jarring but other than that it's just a normal rectangular shaped console unlike the series X and PlayStation 5 which everyone seems to hate. ( I like the look of the series X, PS5 not as much)

I think they've highlighted the vents in black to make the console have a distinctive look so you don't get confused with older consoles. Tbh I would of used a light grey instead of a black but who am I.

Humdinger

This is a great console 2/3 years when the first party games start coming out. But for now, I'm sticking with the PS5 at launch.

Yeah, that's my thought too. I might pick one up in 3 or 4 years, when MS puts out some games I'm interested in (e.g., Fable). It's good to have a cheaper option for that than the XSX. The S might even be $200 by then, who knows.

-Arcadia-

Banned
How on Earth does this differ from the current Xbox One S and Xbox One X strategy that we've had for years?

Doing it from the start, for what is likely to be the generation with two $500 dollar consoles, and quite the buy-in.

These consoles spend years at $400 and $500, before ever getting down to acceptable mainstream prices. By offering that Day 1, or so the theory goes, an entire segment of the market is unlocked straight from the start.

As time passes, and price drops happen, the XSS will also be prepared to go cheaper than we’ve seen in a long time. $199 or $149 a couple of years from now, isn’t out of the question.

Dr Bass

Doing it from the start, for what is likely to be the generation with two $500 dollar consoles, and quite the buy-in.

These consoles spend years at $400 and $500, before ever getting down to acceptable mainstream prices. By offering that Day 1, or so the theory goes, an entire segment of the market is unlocked straight from the start.

As time passes, and price drops happen, the XSS will also be prepared to go cheaper than we’ve seen in a long time. $199 or $149 a couple of years from now, isn’t out of the question.

And the PS5 will also drop in the price over that time too ...

The One S and the One X didn't move the needle in the slightest. If it was a working strategy in the sense that you are estimating we would have already seen it. There isn't going to be this massive shift in consumer behavior on these consoles because now that same strategy is applied to what is essentially new versions in the same line. Yes they are "new consoles" but Microsoft is positioning these as part of a continuum of what's already there, and what's already there is a massively losing platform.

It continues to be about what Microsoft doesn't seem to understand at its core level. It's about content, content, content. Nobody cares about the actual box at all. The boxes are a means to access content. Why should anyone be excited about these systems when they are offering you things like a delayed worse-than-current-gen Halo, a terrible Battletoads installment, and some PC indie games being suddenly championed as some kind of world class offering (Scorn and The Medium come to mind big time here). I wouldn't pay 99 dollars for an Xbox with that lineup.

Plus you can get it all on PC anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Invalid GR

All games currently BC and a few new ones on the horizon will be BC on Series S and X both. That includes legacy titles.
While that is true how can a digital only machine offer BC? I mean OK the games will be available for online purchase or probably on Game pass but how will my X360 disc based games be played on XSS??

There's a good portion of people who will just buy it for sports games and basic big shooters. They don't even have 4k TVs so they dont care. This is a decent portion of the market. If enough people get it, people generally buy a console based on what their friends have if they want to play online
My post is commentary on the S being a terrible value compared to the X. You pretty much avoided that topic entirely in your response, so why even quote me?

My post is commentary on the S being a terrible value compared to the X. You pretty much avoided that topic entirely in your response, so why even quote me?
Why is it terrible? Tflops? Is that like all consoles amount to? I haven’t even heard of tflops before people started hyping up this gen - and I thought we’d gotten over it by the time PS5’s ssd seemed to give it advantages. Or are we talking ssd size... I personally don’t need more than that. I won’t be having more than one game installed on the system regardless so I guess it doesn’t affect me. Is there something else Im not seeing?

Again, smaller game size, 10ft from 4k tv, mitigates these issues into potentially nothing for many prospective buyers.
You're missing the point I was making, which is that the S is a terrible value compared to the X at $300. You're being charged a premium for a lesser console. The S should be cheaper, or at the very least have the same amount of storage.

While that is true how can a digital only machine offer BC? I mean OK the games will be available for online purchase or probably on Game pass but how will my X360 disc based games be played on XSS??
You still have your 360 games? On disc? Man I must be in another world than most in this forum comparatively.

Alphagear

Revamped current gen console for the same price.

Reminds me of the Gamecube becoming the Nintendo Wii. Atleast the Wii had something going for it in terms of innovation.

No way this thing is gonna run games at 1440p 120fps with those specs. Just like the PS5 and XSX aren't gonna run anything at 8k.

Revamped current gen console for the same price.

Reminds me of the Gamecube becoming the Nintendo Wii. Atleast the Wii had something going for it in terms of innovation.

No way this thing is gonna run games at 1440p 120fps with those specs. Just like the PS5 and XSX aren't gonna run anything at 8k.
Whoa whoa whoa - this is a current gen console? How?

Alphagear

I gotta have that broken down for me - it’s got like several features in the system that none of the current gen consoles have right? Hardware ray tracing and ssd?
Superior CPU just like the Nintendo Wii

4TF Gpu which is around the same power as the 6TF One X Gpu.

You are not getting 1440p, 120fps and raytracing with that GPU.

I doubt PS5 and XSX will get that performance.

DavidGzz

It's weird that just based on how it looks, and how small it is(and that price!) while still being powerful makes me really want it. This plus a nice 1440p monitor will go great together. I didn't think for a second that I would want this over the X but here we are. This will help me wait till late next year or later for a powerful PC.

Last edited:
Superior CPU just like the Nintendo Wii

4TF Gpu which is around the same power as the 6TF One X Gpu.

You are not getting 1440p, 120fps and raytracing with that GPU.

I doubt PS5 and XSX will get that performance.
So it’s the teraflops count - I mean seems like the architecture is completely different than this current gen. I personally could give a fuck about FPS and resolution so that part doesn’t really matter to me

Microsoft! Come clean and tell us who's idea the Series S was! The faster you let us know, the faster the problem is fixed. Either way we will find out!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You're missing the point I was making, which is that the S is a terrible value compared to the X at $300. You're being charged a premium for a lesser console. The S should be cheaper, or at the very least have the same amount of storage.

I don't see how it could be much cheaper considering the tech, maybe $250. (Could still be - it said "estimated retail price" )
The storage is less of an issue than its made out to be as games are expected to be smaller (40%).

Last edited:

J____Av

I'll take that bet! Not with Series X, S and Xcloud. Not saying Xbox platform will dominate Sony for sure. But Sony wont dominate like they did this gen. No.

Based on what? Xbox has lost more and more steam every year since the start of the gen, even with the positive changes. Their brand value is the lowest its been since the OG Xbox. The big reveal of the Xbox S hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. I would be shocked if the gap was not MUCH larger next gen. PS could release a video tomorrow about their new game box colors and it would get more talk than the S has gotten

TheGrat1

Pump the brakes. A lot of the things people are citing as a reason for huge market penetration: low price and gamepass, has been there for the One S for 3 years now and it made little difference. Time will tell.

kungfuian

I'm seeing all this praise for this low priced machine, and before that it was the power crown narrative, but neither really adds up. Microsoft literally had both the cheapest and most powerful consoles this gen, and they got trounced by Sony. Why do people think it will be different this time? I don't get it.

Like somehow a cheap console (or most powerful) makes up for the fact that they literally have no first party launch exclusives or any exclusive first party next gen games for the foreseeable future.

It's like buying a ticket to a cheap movie theater but none of the movies you really want to see are playing. Why bother.

DavidGzz

Pump the brakes. A lot of the things people are citing as a reason for huge market penetration: low price and gamepass, has been there for the One S for 3 years now and it made little difference. Time will tell.

It was a gen where the Xbox division severed an artery from the get go so to speak. They bled away a lot of the good will that the 360 garnered. They also came out $100 more expensive than a PS4 with weaker hardware to boot. This time they may have a console that is $200 less expensive and also another unit that will be the same price and more powerful, Game Pass from the start, a financing option via Walmart and Target, and 15 XGS studios that should be ready with games in the launch window with more to come in the next 2-3 years.

As far as launch and launch window games go, we'll know soon enough about those. They will do much better than this gen, guaranteed.

Rac3r

I agree with this. While it has a nice price point, the Series S probably won't be a massive improvement from the experience you can get right now (Or in November) with the One S/X. Without Halo, or other big titles, what's the incentive for people to "upgrade" to the Series S on launch day? Series X can boast it's power as a selling point, but are people really going to be that excited to play "The Medium" day one on a Series S? I think it all depends on how informed each individual consumer is. Most day one buyers are enthusiasts and I'd expect them to go the Series X route.

I still think there's a market for the Series S, but I don't agree with the sentiment that it's going to fly off the shelves during the Holiday/Launch window. I'm guessing slow initial sales and steady growth over the next few years with casuals and newcomers.

ruvikx

Banned
That's the point. You'll need to buy a bigger SDD right off the bat. A bigger proprietary SDD.

There's a huge market out there of people who only play Call of Duty, or only play Fifa or some racing sim etc. I know that seems weird to some gamers, but not everyone gets all the latest hits & fills up their hard drive with game installs.

DavidGzz

I agree with this. While it has a nice price point, the Series S probably won't be a massive improvement from the experience you can get right now (Or in November) with the One S/X. Without Halo, or other big titles, what's the incentive for people to "upgrade" to the Series S on launch day? Series X can boast it's power as a selling point, but are people really going to be that excited to play "The Medium" day one on a Series S? I think it all depends on how informed each individual consumer is. Most day one buyers are enthusiasts and I'd expect them to go the Series X route.

I still think there's a market for the Series S, but I don't agree with the sentiment that it's going to fly off the shelves during the Holiday/Launch window. I'm guessing slow initial sales and steady growth over the next few years with casuals and newcomers.

MS planned for this. $299 is casual price range not enthusiast price range. For enthusiasts it is an "extra" console. PS5 buyers may buy one just to dab in some Game Pass action, especially with the financing option. I have friends who are anti-Xbox who have even said, "for $300 hell I'll get one even". Casuals spend $300 on a Switch as well. It's in the impulse buy range.

I think the reveal trailer showed people exactly why they would want to upgrade.
  • All-digital: You won’t get a disc drive with the Series S.
  • 1440p at up to 120 FPS: Series S has less power, but it doesn’t need as much to run games at 1080p and 1440p.
  • DirectX Raytracing: Xbox Series S supports the same physical light rendering as Series X.
  • Variable Rate Shading: Xbox Series S will run games better by rendering darker and less visible areas at a lower resolution.
  • Variable refresh rate: Xbox Series S supports adaptive sync with modern displays.
  • Ultra-low latency custom 512GB SSD: Microsoft is using the same NVME PCIe 4.0 SSD on the Series S as it does with the Series X.
  • 4K Streaming Media Playback: Xbox Series S supports Netflix and other 4K HDR video services.
  • 4K Upscaling for Games: The console can output 1080p or 1440p images as 4K for modern TVs.
Put more succinctly, the Xbox Series S is just as much of a next-gen experience as the Xbox Series X — but set to a lower resolution that matches most people’s current TVs. It gives gaming fans a way to get ray tracing and fast loading times but at $300 instead of the still-rumored $500 of the X.

This system also fits well with the Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass subscription service, which acts like a Netflix for games for $10 per month. This enables you to download games and play them from a growing digital library, which is why you won’t need a disc drive."

There's a huge market out there of people who only play Call of Duty, or only play Fifa or some racing sim etc. I know that seems weird to some gamers, but not everyone gets all the latest hits & fills up their hard drive with game installs.

Exactly, and even people like me who buys a lot of games, I simply delete games and download the ones I want to play. I've never bought an external HDD for more space. It's simple to set something to download from work on the Xbox App and have it ready for when I get home.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

It was a gen where the Xbox division severed an artery from the get go so to speak. They bled away a lot of the good will that the 360 garnered. They also came out $100 more expensive than a PS4 with weaker hardware to boot. This time they may have a console that is $200 less expensive and also another unit that will be the same price and more powerful, Game Pass from the start, a financing option via Walmart and Target, and 15 XGS studios that should be ready with games in the launch window with more to come in the next 2-3 years.

As far as launch and launch window games go, we'll know soon enough about those. They will do much better than this gen, guaranteed.
If you are talking about internet check-in DRM and no used/borrowing games I do not buy it. All of those policies were dropped before launch. Plus, the vast majority of people who buy consoles do not watch conferences and have probably never even heard of E3. So they never knew it was an issue either. Being $100 dollars more expensive than the PS4 with no value proposition to justify it is what severed the artery.
This time they will likely be $100-$200 dollars cheaper but the value is still questionable. It is basically an iterative upgrade to the One S all digital at $100 more. It has no exclusives or "next gen" games to back it up.
Like I said: Time will tell. Maybe the public will lap it up. Maybe it will be outsold by the Series X. Maybe people will stick with PlayStation. I just do not think it is the home run that OP and some others seem to think it is.

Justin9mm

If PS5 swoops in and makes the PS5 Digital version $299 USD now the cat is out the bag.. Even if it was $349 USD.. How would Series S be then?

luffie

Don't give a damn whether Xb1s is 250 or 100, what matters is content and xbox have none of that.

Sony reigned this gen with HZD, GoW, Bloodborne, FF7R, TLOU2, GoTsushima, Nier, Death Stranding, Fall Guys and many other IPs.

If Xbox cannot show any IP that will match this lineup, doesn't matter what the price, xbox will fail again, and fail harder. I'm not touching Xbox until i see what are their lineup.

sinnergy

Don't give a damn whether Xb1s is 250 or 100, what matters is content and xbox have none of that.

Sony reigned this gen with HZD, GoW, Bloodborne, FF7R, TLOU2, GoTsushima, Nier, Death Stranding, Fall Guys and many other IPs.

If Xbox cannot show any IP that will match this lineup, doesn't matter what the price, xbox will fail again, and fail harder. I'm not touching Xbox until i see what are their lineup.
They have enough content ... just not for you , but that’s okay . I like their content .

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
What I want to know is the Backwards compatibility...will all the games be available digitally? Mainly the original xbox and 360...that's what I'm really interested in.
All BC games are/were available digitally I believe, just some might have been delisted potentially. Every single XB1 game is available digitally too so no problem there.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And the PS5 will also drop in the price over that time too ...

The One S and the One X didn't move the needle in the slightest. If it was a working strategy in the sense that you are estimating we would have already seen it. There isn't going to be this massive shift in consumer behavior on these consoles because now that same strategy is applied to what is essentially new versions in the same line. Yes they are "new consoles" but Microsoft is positioning these as part of a continuum of what's already there, and what's already there is a massively losing platform.
The One S and One X weren't there from day 1. They were released years later, when the "war" was already lost.

The Series S and X are there day 1. MS have the cheapest and most powerful consoles this upcoming generation. They won't outsell the PS5, but they should put up a bigger fight.

How is the S terrible value at almost half the price of the X? $299 is a "premium" now is it? How poor are you?

Last edited:

Magik85

*Microsoft:
Here's a $299 console with 512GB NVMe SSD with an option to expand using Seagate 1TB SSDs with the same speed.

OMG OMG 512GB is not enough, what are we to do, whaaa!, 512GB is the pits, I'll run out of space in no time, this is God awful, heaven help us all!!!

WHA!

*Sony:
Here's a $499 console with 825GB SSD with no expansion option at launch, with only the option to upgrade to high end expensive SSD options in the future.

I'm ok with this. 🤡

Since you quoted me on this....where did i say im OK with 825 GB SSD....or even mention PS5 at all?

mcjmetroid

Excellent strategy.

They can't go wrong. They will have the most powerful console and also the console with best value for money.

They just.. need the games.

Azurro

Banned
I think people are making way too much of a big deal out of a 100 euro difference between the S and the PS5 digital edition, and with the S you get a truly retard pack while with the PS5 you get the complete experience and Sony first party games.

John Wick

For an ERP of £250/$299, The Xbox Series S offers a really great deal for people planning to upgrade this year.

Make what you will of the rumoured 4TFs it holds, but the Series S if the full leaked video is anything to go by, offers support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.

That is a great deal for £250, they're obviously planning to make up losses with this by it being discless, but this means for many people, Next Gen is not so unaffordable on launch, I mean this will retail for the same price as you can get a PS4 Slim on Argos on it's own atm, so it to me anyway, screams of great pricing.

Now obviously Sony will have to respond, they love to undercut/rival competitors price wise so I can see them retailing the PS5 Digital Edition for around £300 which would offer them a bit more leeway with customers, as despite how beloved Sony are and the vast majority of people want to get a PS5 over an Xbox Series X, this Series S will appeal to almost every casual buyer and parent as the affordable way to entertain for many years to come.

Me personally? I will be getting this and a PS5 as this means I can experience Gamepass and all it has to offer for a very affordable price, whilst still getting my preferred choice down the line in the PS5 (when HZD II comes out will be when I pounce).

Series-S.png

Sony will lower the price of PS4 and the Pro models. They will probably release cheaper shrunk down models of both.
The PS5 DE will never be £300. Your dreaming if you think that will happen. Cheapest I can see PS5 DE being is £399.

Top Bottom