• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is forecasting a big revenue growth next quarter. overall gaming revenue up mid to high 40% content and services up mid to high 50%

Mowcno

Would be nicer to compare MS+Activison Blizzard revenue from before to MS+Activision Blizzard revenue for this quarter. Activision and the rest of Xbox could both decline but because they're combined it would still be reported as growth lol.

Guess we're going to have to wait until the next fiscal year for the growth percentages to actually be worthwhile comparisons again.

Edit: Combined them myself. MS is forecasting decline here. (Edited again when I realised it was "mid to high 40" not 40%.)

Xbox Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $4.76 Billion
Activision Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $2.33 Billion
Combined Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $7.09 Billion

Taking "mid to high 40" to mean anywhere from 44% to 49% then MS is expecting:

Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $6.85 Billion ($4.76 billion +44%) (3.4% lower than Xbox+Acti 2022)
Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $7.09 Billion ($4.76 billion +49%) (flat compared to Xbox+Acti 2022)

So basically they are forecasting a small decline here.

Last edited:
Would be nicer to compare MS+Activison Blizzard revenue from before to MS+Activision Blizzard revenue for this quarter. Activision and the rest of Xbox could both decline but because they're combined it would still be reported as growth lol.

Guess we're going to have to wait until the next fiscal year for the growth percentages to actually be worthwhile comparisons again.

Shhhh, no sensible analysis allowed.

Only positive spin.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Microsoft right now:

fatty-kirby.gif

DryvBy

Revenue is up everywhere. It's called inflation. Profits don't equal revenue. Margin is more important. This is damage control from their news yesterday and that clown tweeter is a defense for MS.

If year 1 I sell a hamburger for $1 and year 2 I sell a hamburger for $2, thats me doubling my revenue. But if year 1 that hamburger cost me $0.50 to make and now it's $1.50 to make? I've made nothing extra.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Makes sense. None of these games from the Activation deal will be Xbox exclusive, so they'll get all the revenue the games make on Nintendo and PlayStation as well.

devilNprada

Sooooo, Sony is now paying Microsoft money for the rights to market COD….
Not really... Unless this industry is unlike every other industry on the planet MS will pay Sony to market their product. It's an advertising expense.
Sony will take a certain percentage discount on every unit they sell as a coop advertising discount, is how it works in the real world.

Three

Revenue is up everywhere. It's called inflation. Profits don't equal revenue. Margin is more important. This is damage control from their news yesterday and that clown tweeter is a defense for MS.

If year 1 I sell a hamburger for $1 and year 2 I sell a hamburger for $2, thats me doubling my revenue. But if year 1 that hamburger cost me $0.50 to make and now it's $1.50 to make? I've made nothing extra.
Doesn't CC account for inflation or is that FX only?

Anyway, it's more that ABK revenue is added to MS gaming now so of course MS will see an increase. It's still a forecasted decline with the combined MS+ABK revenue with or without inflation though.

Last edited:

You own a burger van?

Ozriel

M$FT
No one expected Xbox the brand to be gone. The console on the other hand...

Way to dunk on all those people who claimed they were trying to dominate and monopolize gaming in the Activision purchase thread.

Who would have thought that purchasing a publisher that recycles the same game that is still a hit would benefit them financially, I for one am shocked.

They absolutely needed to give a revenue guidance to their shareholders.

You say this like they asked people to make it a thread here πŸ˜‚

C2brixx

No shit it's gonna "grow", they spent 70 billion
The way Phil explained in court to the FTC lawyers was that MS wasn't "spending" $70 billion. They were exchanging cash for an asset that (in Microsoft's opinion) was worth more than $70 billion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom