• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is forecasting a big revenue growth next quarter. overall gaming revenue up mid to high 40% content and services up mid to high 50%

dotnotbot

The way Phil explained in court to the FTC lawyers was that MS wasn't "spending" $70 billion. They were exchanging cash for an asset that (in Microsoft's opinion) was worth more than $70 billion.

Yeah I know, but that logic really only works for companies having a lot of money laying around (money earned from other much profitable divisions of Microsoft, not Xbox) so not investing this money means making losses. Still, it's bending reality a bit cause they could've spent that money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Way to dunk on all those people who claimed they were trying to dominate and monopolize gaming in the Activision purchase thread.
You don't need to have the best selling console to "dominate and monolopize gaming". If someone thinks that then their vision is short sighted and clearly need to leave their bubble more. In fact you don't even need to build consoles to dominate gaming.

The console market is actually quite small when you think about gaming as a business. MS now also have mobile games, already had cloud gaming, they also release games on PC, etc. They literally have one of the biggest games ever even without Activision: Minecraft. Now they have multiplatform COD. They also have King...one of the biggest mobile game makers.

Cool. Any growth in hardware Microsoft or do we just conveniently ignore that? What happened to the PR about being the best selling xbox? What happened to PR about outselling PS5 in the US for 3 quarters in a row? Now it's all about revenue and content and service growth after they just bought the biggest publisher in the industry. Well no fucking shit! Stating the obvious there. Classic Microsoft.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cool. Any growth in hardware Microsoft or do we just conveniently ignore that? What happened to the PR about being the best selling xbox? What happened to PR about outselling PS5 in the US for 3 quarters in a row?

When you build your own megacorp, you can make a name for yourself by being the first CEO to consistently focus on the downsides to your shareholders.

You people never fail to crack me up.

Now it's all about revenue and content and service growth after they just bought the biggest publisher in the industry. Well no fucking shit! Stating the obvious there. Classic Microsoft.

Should they have under-predicted their anticipated next quarter revenue to their shareholders to please forum people?

When you build your own megacorp, you can make a name for yourself by being the first CEO to consistently focus on the downsides to your shareholders.

Should they have under-predicted their anticipated next quarter revenue to their shareholders to please forum people?
It's the same on every Xbox thread, anything positive and it's downplayed into a negative 🤷

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cool. Any growth in hardware Microsoft or do we just conveniently ignore that? What happened to the PR about being the best selling xbox? What happened to PR about outselling PS5 in the US for 3 quarters in a row? Now it's all about revenue and content and service growth after they just bought the biggest publisher in the industry. Well no fucking shit! Stating the obvious there. Classic Microsoft.

Yes, how dare they talk about revenue and content services growth in their

*checks note*

fiscal financial report ...

Phil will be getting 100% of my Call Of Duty money instead of 30%.

Same for millions of others.

Not mine 😁.

NCV7Izj.png

kanye-west-smh.gif

Look...

look...

looook...

I thought the Xbox Partners showcase today was pretty good, okay? I'll give Good Guy Phil™ a clap for that.

Same thing that always happens: when it's convenient to boast, they report it. When it makes them look bad, the metrics change. Other companies do it to some extent but Microsoft have mastered this art. They're very fluid with it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Or they could be honest and talk about the positives and the negatives, so shareholders have the full picture.

Shareholders care about money. They’re forecasting plenty money coming in next quarter. Single biggest thing on the balance sheet. Why would they give equal prominence to (perhaps) a single digit hardware decline when there’s an upcoming massive hike in gaming revenue?

Not mine 😁.

Go Ahead Yes GIF

gokurho

Would be nicer to compare MS+Activison Blizzard revenue from before to MS+Activision Blizzard revenue for this quarter. Activision and the rest of Xbox could both decline but because they're combined it would still be reported as growth lol.

Guess we're going to have to wait until the next fiscal year for the growth percentages to actually be worthwhile comparisons again.

Edit: Combined them myself. MS is forecasting decline here. (Edited again when I realised it was "mid to high 40" not 40%.)

Xbox Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $4.76 Billion
Activision Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $2.33 Billion
Combined Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $7.09 Billion

Taking "mid to high 40" to mean anywhere from 44% to 49% then MS is expecting:

Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $6.85 Billion ($4.76 billion +44%) (3.4% lower than Xbox+Acti 2022)
Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $7.09 Billion ($4.76 billion +49%) (flat compared to Xbox+Acti 2022)

So basically they are forecasting a small decline here.
You don't know Internal Erasure 🙅‍♂️ .
ABK's sales to Xbox are deleted for accounting purposes💹.

Shareholders care about money. They’re forecasting plenty money coming in next quarter. Single biggest thing on the balance sheet. Why would they give equal prominence to (perhaps) a single digit hardware decline when there’s an upcoming massive hike in gaming revenue?

Go Ahead Yes GIF

If they are making a loss then I assume a shareholder wants to know. It doesn't have to be equal billing if the outlook is positive, but I think a full picture should be given. That goes for any company.

Nubulax

Go Ahead Yes GIF
The massive spike in gaming revenue due to.... * checks notes* spending 70 BILLION cash on hand into the xbox division instead of AI and CLOUD

They do. That's how we knew that MS senior executives missed their performance targets.

They just don't talk about the negatives that get made up and gesticulated over by people who want to convince everyone that the positives are actually negatives.

Or, they could provide all the facts. Which isn't an unreasonable thing to do. It's baffling that we don't have subscriber numbers, how much profit or loss, how many subs gained in September etc. That's basic stuff.

All companies should provide that granularity.

Ozriel

M$FT
The massive spike in gaming revenue due to.... * checks notes* spending 70 BILLION cash on hand into the xbox division instead of AI and CLOUD

Lmao, do you people not follow anything about tech at all?

They’ve heavily invested in AI and Cloud. Azure is one of Nadella’s Crown Jewels, and they’ve been putting in billions into OpenAI.

Investments are meant to drive revenue and profit. The activation deal does both.

If they are making a loss then I assume a shareholder wants to know. It doesn't have to be equal billing if the outlook is positive, but I think a full picture should be given. That goes for any company.

They just signaled a significant rise in revenue and - correspondingly - profit.
Why would they be making a loss?

Mattyp

Gold Member
Not really... Unless this industry is unlike every other industry on the planet MS will pay Sony to market their product. It's an advertising expense.
Sony will take a certain percentage discount on every unit they sell as a coop advertising discount, is how it works in the real world.

What? That’s not how it works at all, MS/ACTI do not pay Sony for the advertising.

CoD moves consoles, it makes absolute bank for consoles just in percentage share of digital sales and cosmetics.

Both Sony & Microsoft have been in bidding wars constantly to win the advertising rights, Sony won the last decade and it ends next year. Microsoft will not be renewing that contract as its massive for each console to have, it’s in part why the 360 did so well. Microsoft even offered to extend the deal to get the merger signed Sony refused thinking it wouldn’t go through.

devilNprada

What? That’s not how it works at all, MS/ACTI do not pay Sony for the advertising.

CoD moves consoles, it makes absolute bank for consoles just in percentage share of digital sales and cosmetics.

Both Sony & Microsoft have been in bidding wars constantly to win the advertising rights, Sony won the last decade and it ends next year. Microsoft will not be renewing that contract as its massive for each console to have, it’s in part why the 360 did so well. Microsoft even offered to extend the deal to get the merger signed Sony refused thinking it wouldn’t go through.
You sure about that?
If you say coop ad discounts don't exist in the video game industry when they do in every other industry on the planet, I will have to take your word for it.. but I am a CFO and have been corporate controller in several MFG industries and I am telling you.. I think you're wrong.

When you see COD on the Best Buy mailer best buy takes a coop discount for that. That's what is in the contract.

Last edited:
GAF is so misinformed it's annoying.

MS just announced $5Billion investment in specifically AI and Cloud for just Australia alone.

Microsoft will invest A$5 billion in expanding its hyperscale cloud computing and AI infrastructure in Australia over the next two years – the single largest investment in its forty-year history in the country. This investment will also grow Microsoft’s local datacentre footprint from 20 sites to a total of 29 spread across Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.

Revenue is up everywhere. It's called inflation. Profits don't equal revenue. Margin is more important. This is damage control from their news yesterday and that clown tweeter is a defense for MS.

If year 1 I sell a hamburger for $1 and year 2 I sell a hamburger for $2, thats me doubling my revenue. But if year 1 that hamburger cost me $0.50 to make and now it's $1.50 to make? I've made nothing extra.
Damage control for what? Their stock is popping, and as a shareholder I'm a happy man. Growth is good, and Microsoft is growing.

Mattyp

Gold Member
You sure about that?
If you say coop ad discounts don't exist in the video game industry when they do in every other industry on the planet, I will have to take your word for it.. but I am a CFO and have been corporate controller in several MFG industries and I am telling you.. I think you're wrong.

When you see COD on the Best Buy mailer best buy takes a coop discount for that. That's what is in the contract.

You don’t need to take my word google it, Microsoft bid the advertising rights away for 360 and Sony won them back for the PS4.

There’s a reason you see CoD bundles exclusively on one platform each generation with call of duty slapped all over the packaging. Sony pay them for that right, not the other way round.

Why would Activision limit themselves to one console for advertising if they’re the ones paying?

devilNprada

"The fee that PlayStation pays to Activision for this, and other terms, is unknown."

This is what I am saying .. so laugh all you want. I am trying to tell you how it works.
Everyone keeps saying Sony pays this and that but don't really know and simply cite some internet article.

Jboemios

Banned
"The fee that PlayStation pays to Activision for this, and other terms, is unknown."

This is what I am saying .. so laugh all you want. I am trying to tell you how it works.
Everyone keeps saying Sony pays this and that but don't really know and simply cite some internet article.
You said that Activision paid to Sony for COD Marketing. Mattyp Mattyp told you is the other way. He is right, you are wrong.

supernova8

Banned
Would be nicer to compare MS+Activison Blizzard revenue from before to MS+Activision Blizzard revenue for this quarter. Activision and the rest of Xbox could both decline but because they're combined it would still be reported as growth lol.

Guess we're going to have to wait until the next fiscal year for the growth percentages to actually be worthwhile comparisons again.

Edit: Combined them myself. MS is forecasting decline here. (Edited again when I realised it was "mid to high 40" not 40%.)

Xbox Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $4.76 Billion
Activision Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $2.33 Billion
Combined Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $7.09 Billion

Taking "mid to high 40" to mean anywhere from 44% to 49% then MS is expecting:

Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $6.85 Billion ($4.76 billion +44%) (3.4% lower than Xbox+Acti 2022)
Combined Revenue forecast (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2023) - $7.09 Billion ($4.76 billion +49%) (flat compared to Xbox+Acti 2022)

So basically they are forecasting a small decline here.
Saturday Night Live Thank You GIF by HULU

Yeah there we go. Exactly what I wanted (but couldn't be bothered) to do :D

Three

For somebody so against "stating the obvious" in other threads you sure like going after people for mentioning that buying a major publisher resulting in more revenue is only stating the obvious.

Actual shareholders could do with more info regarding performance, like how many consoles you've sold, how many subs you have, what profit are you making , etc. Not the obvious "we bought ABK, our revenue will be up 40%!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom