• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Black Friday Sale Nov 18 - Nov 28 Thread

razzel

I wasn't being antsy, but if there is a trial you might as well have a try at it.

I'd say it's worth the price, it's a fairly fun survival crafting game, performance is a little spotty.

Oh yeah, I was kidding as well. Except about downloading the trial, doing that now lol. Hopefully the frame rate isn't too awful, watched some videos and it looks very cool.

Chris1

MS needs to sort out the regional prices, was going to buy Mad Max ($19.99 > $11.99), looked up UK.. £29.99 > £17.99, no thanks. Seems to happen a lot too, feels like sometimes when a game receives an actual price drop they only update the price in US and not in other regions too

Eanan

MS needs to sort out the regional prices, was going to buy Mad Max ($19.99 > $11.99), looked up UK.. £29.99 > £17.99, no thanks. Seems to happen a lot too, feels like sometimes when a game receives an actual price drop they only update the price in US and not in other regions too

Psst... Go on Holiday for the day.

MauroNL

That is Warner' doing though.
Why is Rise Tomb Raider bolded?

Some decent deals there though!
'Cause thats a fecking good deal, yo!

EvB

Microsoft doesnt' choose the prices, the publishers do.

it's likely that Warner Brothers Interactive's UK office are particuarly dopey.

arhra

Pricing is down to individual publishers, not MS.

WB seem to be particularly terrible about keeping European prices way higher than their American ones - Arkham Knight is 50% off for example, which puts it at like $15 in the US, but £27.50 here because they've never dropped the base price for the game.

Chris1

That is Warner' doing though.
It's not I don't think. Well not completely. Because there's a lot of games that have been updated globally on PS4 but not on XB1 (there's been a few examples in this thread). And from what I've read from indie developers, when setting prices MS just asks for the US prices and converts the rest, I assume they deal in USD with bigger devs too.

Psst... Go on Holiday for the day.

Nah I know how to buy from other regions it's just more work than I'm willing to put in for a game I'm not particularly bothered about in the first place and was only buying it cause it's cheap and the film was good lol.

MauroNL

It's not I don't think. Well not completely. Because there's a lot of games that have been updated globally on PS4 but not on XB1 (there's been a few examples in this thread). And from what I've read from indie developers, when setting prices MS just asks for the US prices and converts the rest, I assume they deal in USD with bigger devs too.
Well this works both ways though, as most Ubisoft games are cheaper in EU compared to US. I got the Far Cry Primal Apex bundle for €18 for example but its $26 in the US. The pricing differences are stupid though, I'll give you that.

thenameDS

Nah I know how to buy from other regions it's just more work than I'm willing to put in for a game I'm not particularly bothered about in the first place and was only buying it cause it's cheap and the film was good lol.
All you have to do is buy a $ gift voucher from Microsoft and redeem the code, not that much work..

Picked up Recore for $15, weird how it is $19.99 in the Xbox store. Also thankfully $15 is still £12 so managed to save £3 lol.

EvB

And from what I've read from indie developers, when setting prices MS just asks for the US prices and converts the rest, I assume they deal in USD with bigger devs too..

How many indie developers have the time on inclination to market research the correct price for 20 or so currencies?
Converting it to local currency and adding the local rate of VAT makes perfect sense for those who don't.

There is no way that Microsoft will dictate the price of games on the store for publishers.

Chris1

How many indie developers have the time on inclination to market research the correct price for 20 or so currencies?
Converting it to local currency and adding the local rate of VAT makes perfect sense for those who don't.

There is no way that Microsoft will dictate the price of games on the store for publishers.

Well this works both ways though, as most Ubisoft games are cheaper in EU compared to US. I got the Far Cry Primal Apex bundle for €18 for example but its $26 in the US. The pricing differences are stupid though, I'll give you that.
Yeah, Idk what goes on with pricing but I know it's not 100% on the publisher all the time for non US regions.

For example, We Happy Few/Compulsion Games said the game would be £22.99 and €27.99 (The same as Steam)
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...developers_of_we_happy_few/d5q0qbo/?context=3

But:

http://www.storeparser.com/en-GB/xbox-one/search-results/we+happy+few/game-78545/we-happy-few/

http://www.storeparser.com/en-DE/xb...py+few/game-78518/we-happy-few-spielvorschau/

it was £1 and €2 more. It's not much difference, but there is a difference from what they said it would be.

There has been more examples of this but this is the most recent one I could think of/find.

And EvB, if they deal in USD and convert from it to other currencies when setting the price originally, they should be doing it when they drop the price in USD aswell, which they don't sometimes and leads to situations like Mad Max and others. Which is basically my point

ramparter

Banned
I think Live is having some issues now. Alot of other things like parties are having problems also.
I have the same error for like a week now. I had some problems before but it was due to having dofferent region set. Now I have set my profile to be Greek, same as my payment and I still get that error :/

None of this is true.

Warmer sets its own pricing, and they differ between regions. MS does not convert anything for big pubs, unless maybe if they're asked to.

Gwyn

Wtf is going on with MS store...
Bought a US gift card earlier so i can buy Doom worked fine.
Trying to buy a gift card again and i get an error...

Chris1

None of this is true.

Warmer sets its own pricing, and they differ between regions. MS does not convert anything for big pubs, unless maybe if they're asked to.

Interesting, it's strange why they update the prices on permanent price drops for all regions on PS4 but not Xbox One then. For example Batman Arkham Premium Edition is cheaper in US on XB1 and PSN (All regions), but in Europe/UK on XB1 it's still near enough full price. You'd think they would lower the permanent price in all regions on XB1 too, not just the PS4.

What about indie devs like Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)? They said the game would be £22.99 and €27.99, it ended up costing £23.99 and €29.99. Not much difference but it's weird for them to advertise one price then have it be another?

KDC720

Grabbing that RotTR season pass for sure. Sucks that they don't have season 3 of KI on sale by itself, but 20 bucks for the whole shabang is a great deal for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Interesting, it's strange why they update the prices on permanent price drops for all regions on PS4 but not Xbox One then. For example Batman Arkham Premium Edition is cheaper in US on XB1 and PSN (All regions), but in Europe/UK on XB1 it's still near enough full price.

What about indie devs like Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)? They said the game would be £22.99 and €27.99, it ended up costing £23.99 and €29.99. Seems weird for them to advertise one price then have it be another?

Warner's US division sets North American pricing, its European group sets EU pricing. If there a discrepancy within a region it's either intentional or a screw up.

No clue about we happy few. Reads like a miscommunication somewhere. You'd think it'd be pretty simple to set pricing on the digital storefronts. Steam makes it really easy. There are additional steps on the console side that can lead to some errors in timing or pricing going public.

Chris1

Warner's US division sets North American pricing, its European group sets EU pricing. If there a discrepancy within a region it's either intentional or a screw up.

No clue about we happy few. Reads like a miscommunication somewhere. You'd think it'd be pretty simple to set pricing on the digital storefronts. Steam makes it really easy. There are additional steps on the console side that can lead to some errors in timing or pricing going public.
Just pretty shit how XB1 gets shafted outside the US on some games and don't get the price drops it should get, especially when the prices are already too expensive here in the first place.

Wait, I am slightly confused. Why is Gears of War $30 on the website but $35 on Xbox Live?
Microsoftstore.com is their actual physical store website which gives you a code for the game, while microsoft.com is the xbox live store. Recore is the same too, $15 on microsoftstore.com but $20 on XBL. Pretty stupid considering they're both digital but just buy from microsoftstore.com. I think OP should update the thread with the microsoftstore.com links because it's pretty much the same thing and you're saving $5.

Are these black friday deals going to be on the cheaper regions also? Or just USA/UK/EU etc

The sales are always global so yes they will be on the cheaper regions too

Just pretty shit how XB1 gets shafted outside the US on some games and don't get the price drops it should get, especially when the prices are already too expensive here in the first place

Some people think the EU Xone market is so small that a price drop wouldn't increase sales enough to make the drop make financial sense.

EmiPrime

All this sale needed was half price Sunset Overdrive season pass and it would have been pretty much perfect. I'm really happy with my little haul.

Also got a year of XBL Gold from GAME for £25.

Chris1

Some people think the EU Xone market is so small that a price drop wouldn't increase sales enough to make the drop make financial sense.

Never really thought about it like that but it kinda makes sense for EU. It's kind of a double edged sword because higher prices isn't exactly helping the Xbox in EU, but I guess publishers don't really care about that because they'd be on PS4 buying their games regardless.

That doesn't explain the UK where sales wise they're relatively close to the PS4 though.

Got the Rise of the Tomb Raider season pass. I'm trying to get all of the games I want physical instead. I might get Powerstar Golf, though. I used to play the free version a lot, even though it's just one hole from each course.

Top Bottom