• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'XBOX Series S' Backward compatibility questions

Self

I have pre-ordered a Series S mainly for gamepass and BC. I have a few questions regarding the Series S BC functionality.

I know that the X-optimized games won't work on the Series S. But what does this actually mean? What can we expect from:

OG Xbox performance?
X360 performance?
Xbox One performance?

I have only once used the BC function on my Xbox One for Deus Ex. I guess it looked quite ok. Can we expect any improvements?

Riky

$MSFT
I think you'll get 1440p on Xbox and 360 games, X1 is more varied depending on how the S version was with dynamic resolutions etc.

Basically everything runs better than the X1S , then you will not get the X1X enhancements but you will get certain titles at double framerates.

This is going to make the DF comparisons between X1X and XSS so interesting early in this gen, 4k 30fps or 1440p 60fps may be one of the differences. I can't wait to see these.

Self

For people who don't want to read the whole article:

OG Xbox = There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits.

X360 = These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p.

Xbox One = This is more limiting in some respects (a game hard-coded to run at 900p will not run any higher on Series S, for example) but the new console benefits from increased resolutions in games that use dynamic resolution scaling, as well as improvements to texture filtering quality.

And - We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well.

Sounds good enough for me!

martino

For people who don't want to read the whole article:

OG Xbox = There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits.

X360 = These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p.

Xbox One = This is more limiting in some respects (a game hard-coded to run at 900p will not run any higher on Series S, for example) but the new console benefits from increased resolutions in games that use dynamic resolution scaling, as well as improvements to texture filtering quality.

And - We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well.

Sounds good enough for me!

on this box, bc is only 'real' for people who embarrassed digital only years ago
and you can't really play original xbox games of that era you own
without the BD it's a mixbag of good an bad imo.

Last edited:

martino

Isn't it possible to just download Xbox classics over the store?
maybe i was not clear:
to me it's a mixbag because it depends where you are coming from :
if you don't any physical game from previous generation then this box is great for you.
if you own xbox , 360 or one (x) physical games you loose capability to play them with this solution.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Don’t get cute with it play whatever Xbox game you want that’s what Microsoft is doing so you don’t have to worry about backwards compatibility I think that’s great and does fans a favor.

Ozrimandias

Can Gaf help me?

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Series X, primarily for playing some old games, and some missed of current-gen.... For Example, Fallout 3 will recieve the enhacement of Xbox one x in series S? im not talking about more FPS but, the clarity and graphics that almost make those games feel like a remaster? (also with Mirrors Edge, Red Dead, FFXIII)

Can Gaf help me?

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Series X, primarily for playing some old games, and some missed of current-gen.... For Example, Fallout 3 will recieve the enhacement of Xbox one x in series S? im not talking about more FPS but, the clarity and graphics that almost make those games feel like a remaster? (also with Mirrors Edge, Red Dead, FFXIII)

I'm 72 percent sure that the Xbone One X enhancements carry forward to the Series S but "only" at 1440p. I could be wrong though and BC titles could be in 4k.

Edit:

"As a result, Microsoft says Series S will not apply the exact enhancements seen on Xbox One X, although it will still offer improvements. A Microsoft spokesperson told GameSpot, "Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer's original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR." "

"...To put it another way: You won't get Xbox One X's exact enhancements while playing backwards compatible games on Series S, but you'll still get some sort of enhancements. For many consumers, this is probably not the feature that will make or break a decision to purchase the Series S. "

Source: Gamespot (eww)

That sounds ambiguous to me. Personally, I'd just go for an Xbox Series X, if back compat enhancements are an important part of your purchasing decision (just in case). (y)

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Can Gaf help me?

I think all of the stuff from this list carries over on to Series X.

yurinka

XBO BC didn't support all 360 and OG games.

Is there any OG Xbox or 360 game compatible with Series X|S that wasn't compatible with XBO BC?

Top Bottom