• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Palworld is VERY Early Access - Every Xbox Console Tested: Series X, Series S, One X and One S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's the game everyone's talking about. Tom Morgan investigates Palworld's early access release on Xbox consoles, including Xbox Series X, Series S, One X and One S. How does the game-of-the-moment hold up in terms of visual quality and performance? And just what happens when you play it on a base Xbox One S?

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Available on current and last gen Xbox consoles.
- Frame rate is unlocked on all consoles
- Open world Unreal Engine 5 game
- The game is in a preview phase, has many bugs in it right now
- Aggressive pop-in, low resolution textures abound.
- All versions prone to crashes as well
- SSR present on all versions

- Series X:
- 60 FPS target with V-sync. Stays mostly between 40~50 FPS
- 1620p with no DRS
- One region can drop the game to 30~40 range

Series S:
- Generally runs better than Series X, more typically between 40~60 FPS
- Best performing Xbox console at the cost of resolution
- Native 720p with worse draw distance than Series X

- One X:
- Native 1080p
- Performance is 50~60 in early areas but in complex areas drops to 17~20 FPS
- Texture resolution is much lower than Series and has worse draw distance
- Hitching, which shows as frame time spikes, also seen

- One S:
- Lower grass, geometry, density.
- 540p with no DRS
- Frame rate is practically on par with One X
- Hitching also present (may be worse here)

- Even with rough edges, clearly it's optimized for the newer consoles

c0WqO98.png

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Sadly they tested the version 0.1.0.0 on Series consoles and 0.1.1.0 on Ones.
Version 0.1.1.0 (and now 0.1.1.1) seems to run a bit better on Series consoles now, has better sound (0.1.0.0 was too much compressed), and less bugs and crashes.

Filben

540p... damn that's rough. I mean, ok, you could argue, it runs on a last gen console and you can play it. But at what cost? Is it worth it? I'd rather skip that version entirely and wait until I had a nextgen console + the games a bit further on its roadmap.

Supporting a lastgen version at this point, with that many sacrifices, seems like wasting resources to me.

acm2000

I thought this was ue4 not 5? In that case it's even more impressive they made it as ugly as they did 😂

Last edited:

Bojji

But it runs like UE4, it likes Nvidia hardware very much where typical UE5 is agnostic in this regard:

WXdcZvl.jpg
hr90Pz1.jpg

So it's probably using UE5 SDK but it was just converted from UE4.

Performance on consoles is absolutely terrible, they should at least offer option to lock framerate to 30.

I also don't get why they don't offer ability for Series X users to play Series S build for maximum performance, just like some PS4 versions of games run better than native PS5 apps on PS5.

Bojji

Breath of the Wild in 4K:
mij8vx5742nz.png

Rime:
RiME___Launch_Screenshot_02.0.jpg

Screenshot of Palworld I just took on PC (Steam version):
qwLXXsj.jpg

The lighting and effects are way above UE4 and it's clearly UE5 right when you start ot play it. If you actually do that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see any UE5 features here. My screens:

g0hIMzM.jpeg

WYwGyMU.jpeg

Of course it's better looking than Rime but Rime is also not a pinnacle UE4 game.

GHG

This looks rough on consoles.

Even my 3070 laptop is getting 60fps at 4k with DLSS performance with max settings.

adamsapple

How is everyone so obsessed with this game? It is just an ok survival game with pokemon skin.

Have you seen how popular Ark is? There's a huge market for games like this.

This one has an added 'pokemon inspiration' factor on top.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see any UE5 features here. My screens:

g0hIMzM.jpeg

WYwGyMU.jpeg

Of course it's better looking than Rime but Rime is also not a pinnacle UE4 game.

I dumped the cvars and it's definitely UE5.
Plenty of cvars referencing Lumen and nanite.

By default, the game is using hardware ray-traicing for Lumen. And Nanite is also being used.
But the game defaults to DX11. So it's necessary to force DX12 mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Runs fine for early access but I do have vrr devices hooked up to my consoles.

Great game, I hope the dev continues to improve it.

Not bad for what, ten people with no prior knowledge of the engine lol

Bojji

I dumped the cvars and it's definitely UE5.
Plenty of cvars referencing Lumen and nanite.

By default, the game is using hardware ray-traicing for Lumen. And Nanite is also being used.
But the game defaults to DX11. So it's necessary to force DX12 mode.

Holy fuck GP is a mess, no EXE so no way to force DX12 as far as I know. DX11 and forced hardware RT explains benchmark results.

winjer

Gold Member
Holy fuck GP is a mess, no EXE so no way to force DX12 as far as I know. DX11 and forced hardware RT explains benchmark results.

I tested with the Gamepass version.
Just create a shortcut on the desktop, then add -DX12 to the shortcut properties.

Kssio_Aug

Graphics are shit, performance may vary, but I've played 6 hours on a Series S and it was fine enough. But they definitely can, and should, improve it a lot, specially performance and textures.

But since it's early access, then nothing much to complain right now.

The game is awesome though!

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Well, yah. Game Pass version didn't even have a "quit game" option until a few days ago. Lot of bugs. Lot of text that is filler (en text). Still a fun game, but clearly far from finished.

Mr Moose

Gamepass file system, you can't do anything really. And people wonder why Steam is ahead...
Do you have access to the Steam version? I hear that's ahead in updates (or just better overall). I am tempted to buy it but I don't know if Nintendo will go after them.

Bojji

Do you have access to the Steam version? I hear that's ahead in updates (or just better overall). I am tempted to buy it but I don't know if Nintendo will go after them.

You can even see that with posted screenshots from me and ManaByte ManaByte , Steam version build is much higher. I don't have access to it.

I doubt Nintendo will harm them with MS potentially protecting or/and buying them, too much success here.

Mr Moose

You can even see that with posted screenshots from me and ManaByte ManaByte , Steam version build is much higher. I don't have access to it.

I doubt Nintendo will harm them with MS potentially protecting or/and buying them, too much success here.
If it gets fucked up it would just get refunded anyway right? :messenger_weary: Fuck it, bought.
15gb? Not bad.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Doesnt matter who is the owner or “protector” If nintendo intends on protecting what is theirs they will have to try and get a couple of obvious pokemon-spin offs out of the full game. If they dont go after this, it could be a starting signal for other companies to make a platform game with Some kind of plumber and his brother running around.

Mr Moose

1efPalworldWin64Shippin.jpg

I caught a chicken and killed a 2nd. Tried to catch a sheep but apparently the balls I made don't work. Typical male stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom