• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Microsoft explains why compatibility will be just as important as power and speed in the next-generation

ZywyPL

Banned
I never get why people are excited about remasters and remakes, maybe it is just me? after finishing a game a very rarely feel the need to play it again.

There are many many old classic, that other than visually haven't aged at all, especially 2D titles which don't scale with resolution, like Starcraft, Age of Empires, or recent C&C. Some games need gameplay tweaks to make it more up-to-date as well. So for anyone who wants to get back to those old titles, or for younger audience who didn't get to experience them and would want to catch up, it's a great deal. But only if done correctly, because we see games that receive just a resolution bump and we are asked 40-60$ for it, which is basically a robbery.

SirTerry-T

BC is great because we don't want to lose old games to time.

At the same time, no one markets a new 4k blu ray player saying, "and you can still watch Metropolis."
Yeah but you could bet that each time a new digital format arrives, Metropolis will get a re-release in that format, right?

Last edited:
Here's what I had to say on this subject months ago:

Sorry for wanting high end hardware to be utilised and built around correctly.

Sorry for not excusing low end hardware being the baseline for yet another generation.

We should look forwards, not backwards. If not we will never progress at the rate we should.

Why would you want developers to target mid range PCs then? Why not just have everyone commit to the bleeding edge of PC technology always?

Eliciel

It doesn't for me. I am not looking for "compatibility" especially I do not look for backwards compatibility for the FULL Xbox Family. I am looking for a backwards compatibility for the XONE at BEST, no older than that. I am fed up with playing playdoh graphics. Bring us the 21st Century graphics already....

Marlenus

Here's what I had to say on this subject months ago:

Sorry for wanting high end hardware to be utilised and built around correctly.

Sorry for not excusing low end hardware being the baseline for yet another generation.

We should look forwards, not backwards. If not we will never progress at the rate we should.

If Lockhart is a thing then as long as it has a 3.5Ghz+ 8c16t zen2 CPU there is nothing to worry about. The gameplay loops can be designed around that kind of CPU performance and they will work on all next gen consoles (It will still take years for this to become a reality).

The graphical presentation can scale on resolution alone. 4Tflops for a 1080p or lower machine is fine considering with current gen xbox one X can do 4k (and despite being 6Tflops RDNA2 has far better FPS/flop due to improved utilisation).

If you are worried about raytracing effects dont be, that will scale too. 4k on series X with 1/2 or 1/4 res RT reflections vs 1080p on series S with 1/2 or 1/4 res RT reflections.

To use a pc comparison with a smaller performance gap than a 4Tflop vs 12 Tflop GPU with equal CPUs and IO performance a 5500XT averages 70 fps at 1080p in the techpowerup review. The 5700XT averages 50fps at 4k in the same lineup and with the same ingame fidelity settings. A simple resolution change is enough. This is 5Tflops vs 9.7 Tflops so for a 4Tflop S vs a 12 Tflop X that is likely to be 60fps for the S at 1080p and 60fps for the X at 4k.

There is no need to fret about a 1080p console holding back games as long as the CPU and SSD performance is the same.

I never get why people are excited about remasters and remakes, maybe it is just me? after finishing a game a very rarely feel the need to play it again.

I haven’t played most of the games that have been receiving remasters. By the time I finally get to tackling a game that’s been sitting in my backlog for years, chances are it has a remaster available. So hell yeah I get excited.

Drop that shit on the 4th. With a tear in his eye Spencer can close by saying "God bless Xbox and God bless America"

That'd be awsome!

tumblr_mx522sFnph1rpsncgo1_400.jpg

theclaw135

Banned
Why would you want developers to target mid range PCs then? Why not just have everyone commit to the bleeding edge of PC technology always?

You can count on one hand the games unflinchingly committed to bleeding edge PCs for like the last 15 years. Brownie points if no console port was released or planned.

Compatibility is necessary when you plan selling millions of new Game Pass subscriptions every year. You need contents, and a lot of it!

On personal level, I've got quite a few OG Xbox, 360 and Xbox One games which I would like to be playable in the future as well. Maybe not by me again, but my kids might want to play those when they are old enough.

Also, I've finished some of my 360 games on One X and have absolutely enjoyed the improved graphics. Had two sons born in 2013 and 2015, so for few years I had no extra time for gaming, or anything else besides going to work and taking care of kids, walking a dog and keeping home not turning into a disaster. But kids are growing up and becoming gamers themselves, and for the last 18 months or so I've been able to spend some time for gaming and I've been clearing lots of backlog games on my One X.

Last edited:
You can count on one hand the games unflinchingly committed to bleeding edge PCs for like the last 15 years. Brownie points if no console port was released or planned.

I know - and a large part of that has to do with making games available for the masses.

In that context, taking a position around games needing to be designed for the 'future' only is extremely reductive and elitist.

In an ideal world games will work wherever you decide to run them - with compromises being made on fidelity and not on playability.

Given that ideal worlds are hard to come by, the next best thing remains supporting older hardware while gradually raising the bar on technical requirements (or more in the more likely future, game streaming).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This is getting really boring now.

Games or FO MICROSOFT
What do you people expect exactly? You know their game event is in July? That someone jumps the gun and already shows the next fable? Or do you expect them to shut up until they have games to show and don't talk about anything else? Both are ridiculous.

sircaw

Banned
What do you people expect exactly? You know their game event is in July? That someone jumps the gun and already shows the next fable? Or do you expect them to shut up until they have games to show and don't talk about anything else? Both are ridiculous.

I am tried of hearing the same old thing from Microsoft for years now. I am tried of buzz words and empty promises, i am tired of having to see or read hundreds of article's about the same old bullshit that never seems to go away.

If your not tired of it. then that's on you. But if people started asking questions instead of always defending them, perhaps they would start delivering.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I am tried of hearing the same old thing from Microsoft for years now. I am tried of buzz words and empty promises, i am tired of having to see or read hundreds of article's about the same old bullshit that never seems to go away.

If your not tired of it. then that's on you. But if people started asking questions instead of always defending them, perhaps they would start delivering.

Its pretty simple. You're tired of it? Don't read it, dont post in the threads. If people want to be excited for the xsx, let them. What purpose does it serve to come in to a thread youre so "tired" hearing about then, just to shit on people's excitement.

Ohhhh they can only be excited for Ps5 news, right?? Seriously, stay out of the threads if you're just going in to bicker and bitch about it without adding anything to the discussion.

cHaOs667

At the same time, no one markets a new 4k blu ray player saying, "and you can still watch Metropolis."
Because, if we think of Blu-ray players, we made the automatic assumption that the Metropolis Blu-ray from 2010 still works in the new player. This is different from video game systems - even BC is a feature that was already present on some systems in the 80s.

sircaw

Banned
Its pretty simple. You're tired of it? Don't read it, dont post in the threads. If people want to be excited for the xsx, let them. What purpose does it serve to come in to a thread youre so "tired" hearing about then, just to shit on people's excitement.

Ohhhh they can only be excited for Ps5 news, right?? Seriously, stay out of the threads if you're just going in to bicker and bitch about it without adding anything to the discussion.

And here lies the problem, It is people like you that just don't get it. I am actually interested in buying a Lockheart console as i think there are some good games that are coming. Halo, Grim dawn and Fable.

However....

Do i prefer Sony, yes i damn well do, they have delivered to what i find acceptable all the way up to the end of the console generation.

Microsoft has in my eyes under delivered, if they want my cash and purchases they need, to deliver not give me empty buzz words that fan boys lap up all the time.

I am close to fifty years old now, i don't have time for bullshit marketing points anymore, I am not swayed by empty promises, logos or pretty presentations, I want games, good games give me what i want and i will buy your stuff.

I am sorry that you thinking "Enough of the PR SHIT and show me the games is so offensive to you".
I am not having a fight with you, my battle as a consumer is with Microsoft, and it should be for you too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

Here's an option, don't read them... You are tired of it? Stop reading Xbox related articles. You are basically saying I'm tired of these reruns on TV, and then you keep watching them.

Microsoft has a game event in July, it's best you don't read anything from them until then, because you won't see any games until then.

sircaw

Banned
Here's an option, don't read them... You are tired of it? Stop reading Xbox related articles. You are basically saying I'm tired of these reruns on TV, and then you keep watching them.

Microsoft has a game event in July, it's best you don't read anything from them until then, because you won't see any games until then.

I said everything i had to say in the quote above, its perfect for you too.
Have a good day, this is the last retort on this matter.

SleepDoctor

Banned
And here lies the problem, It is people like you that just don't get it. I am actually interested in buying a Lockheart console as i think there are some good games that are coming. Halo, Grim dawn and Fable.

However....

Do i prefer Sony, yes i damn well do, they have delivered to what i find acceptable all the way up to the end of the console generation.

Microsoft has in my eyes under delivered, if they want my cash and purchases they need, to deliver not give me empty buzz words that fan boys lap up all the time.

I am close to fifty years old now, i don't have time for bullshit marketing points anymore, I am not swayed by empty promises, logos or pretty presentations, I want games, good games give me what i want and i will buy your stuff.

I am sorry that you thinking "Enough of the PR SHIT and show me the games is so offensive to you".
I am not having a fight with you, my battle as a consumer is with Microsoft, and it should be for you too.

That is perfectly fine. Im in the same boat for the most part. MS underdelivered im pretty sure in almost everyone's eyes, who's not fanboying. But just running in a thread like some individuals who will not be named just to say "i don't care", "im tired", etc etc is redundant. At least offer something to the discussion.

I want a competitive generation, not a repeat of what we got this gen. Microsoft purchasing all these developers does give some hope that maybe they will actually try to deliver another XBOX/360 type of generation.

Im looking forward to the July event with low expectations but high hope. I legitimately do not care for plastic box warfare. There are far more serious things going on in the world today, than to argue with people for not sharing the same opinion as me.

Top Bottom