• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X vs PS5 load time comparisons on BC games

ToadMan

It's got to be disappointing that after all that SSD secret sauce talk it comes down to less than a second in some instances? I know this is just BC but the first DF XSX/PS5 comparison on DMC5 the difference was 1 second! lol :messenger_grinning_sweat:

1 second is an eternity at computing speeds.

It’s the difference between streaming a low quality and high quality texture for example and that in turn leads to memory optimisation.

Last edited:
The sad thing about the SSDs is that we don't have any real info on what they're capable of because all we got offered as info is sequential speed - which is 100% useless info wrt games. On PC it's easy enough to test Q1D1 speeds and IOPS, but on consoles? I don't know how they will do it.

At this point does it matter? 1sec diff from a cold boot isn't enough to make me want to pick up a PS5 over the Xbox. Plus been using SSD's on my PC for like 8 years now so it's just feels like a standard anyways.

Everyone who understands how BC works doesn't mind.

That bad eh? Read the last part of what I said. DMC5 SE is not a BC game.

1 second is an eternity at computing speeds.

It’s the difference between streaming a low quality and high quality texture for example and that in turn leads to memory optimization.

Sure it is for a computer, not for a human though. Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for that massive game changing difference between one and the other. Don't see it in BC and didn't see it yet on the first non-BC game comparison. Happy to be proved wrong but for now it seems severely overhyped.

That bad eh? Read the last part of what I said. DMC5 SE is not a BC game.

Sure it is for a computer, not for a human though. Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for that massive game changing difference between one and the other. Don't see it in BC and didn't see it yet on the first non-BC game comparison. Happy to be proved wrong but for now it seems severely overhyped.

I read the last part of what you said, who cares? Different games are going to run differently, that's just fact and the advantage of 2 teraflops won't always be clear cut either.

I read the last part of what you said, who cares? Different games are going to run differently, that's just fact and the advantage of 2 teraflops won't always be clear cut either.

What do you mean who cares? it's what the thread is about!... Sure games will run differently, that's not a reason to avoid comparisons. Regarding power in DF's DMC5 video Xbox came out on top on 3 out of 4 modes and it's not even using the Velocity architecture. We'll probably have a better idea when developers can properly take full advantage of the hardware for both machines.

What do you mean who cares? it's what the thread is about!... Sure games will run differently, that's not a reason to avoid comparisons. Regarding power in DF's DMC5 video Xbox came out on top on 3 out of 4 modes and it's not even using the Velocity architecture. We'll probably have a better idea when developers can properly take full advantage of the hardware for both machines.
Go check out the assassin's Creed Valhalla thread that's at 25 pages now. Clearly this is going to be on a game by game basis.

assurdum

Banned
Neither ps5 geometry engine. What's exactly the point?

Go check out the assassin's Creed Valhalla thread that's at 25 pages now. Clearly this is going to be on a game by game basis.

I did but it's not DF so I'll wait until DF does it.

Sure, the difference is no one put the XSX SSD as a game changer and as of now I don't see anything dramatically different between the two. That is my point.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Are we competing BC on next-gen consoles?
Does anyone here buy next-gen consoles to play BC games?
Kinda strange of what is happening in the thread. :messenger_fearful:
I sure as hell did! BC is a massive selling point to me. Many of the best games of all time released in the last 2 generations, and most of them can not be played better than ever before. Even if the Series X never got a next gen only game I would still have bought one and love it.

Or the Series X geometry engine lol. Amazing that people still think that the geometry engine is a Sony thing. It’s an AMD thing, and both consoles have it lol.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I sure as hell did! BC is a massive selling point to me. Many of the best games of all time released in the last 2 generations, and most of them can not be played better than ever before. Even if the Series X never got a next gen only game I would still have bought one and love it.

Or the Series X geometry engine lol. Amazing that people still think that the geometry engine is a Sony thing. It’s an AMD thing, and both consoles have it lol.
Again geometry engine is a vague terms which implies tons of stuff. What we know by the developers, GE on ps5 should be a bigger deal. Now we can't see anything yet (for obvious reasons) so it's hard to have a concrete idea but from what we know Sony has invested a lot in this tech as the I/O, the same RGT tuber (the same who predicted infinity cache in Navi 2) has claimed could be a RDNA3 features because it's more advanced than anything seen until now so I doubt the geometry engine in series X is relying to the same thing on ps5. But will see.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Again geometry engine is a vague terms which implies tons of stuff. What we know by the developers, GE on ps5 should be a bigger deal. Now we can't see anything yet (for obvious reasons) so it's hard to have a concrete idea but from what we know Sony has invested a lot in this tech as the I/O, the same RGT tuber (the same who predicted infinity cache in Navi 2) has claimed could be a RDNA3 features because it's more advanced than anything seen until now so I doubt the geometry engine in series X is relying to the same thing on ps5. But will see.
it’s not a vague term, it’s literally an AMD feature lol.

lol RGT and rdna3, say no more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom