• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX vs X360. a then and now comparison

I dont know about all of you but for me the $400 is pretty justifyable. the $299 is better yes but I think this will better help understand MS thinking and why what they did was right as long as they have an equal SKU amount at launch.

November 2001-Present day.

Any hardcore or above casual gamer may have spent the following

XBOX- $299
Xbox LIVE w/ wired headset- $50
Controller S after the horrendous pack in -$40
HDTV owners ~$25 iirc for an HD pack

total- $414

November 2005

Xbox 360- $399
Wireless headset- $0
transferable XBL account- $0 i'm guessing...if not FU M$.
Best controller since the controller S and wireless to boot? -$0
HD cables- $0

total- $399

Casual gamer or CAG who just wants in in 2005?

Xbox 360- $299
gamers who had xbl and still wanna play?-$0 assuming you can use your old headset
Wired controller STILL better than the duke?-$0

total- $299

final result? in 2005 the 360 can in some ways be a better value than the original xbox was. :)

Yes theres no hard drive but those who aren't gunning for one still will have a fantastic library of exciting new games to choose from. I understand the frustration over the accessories but blasting MS for a $20 faceplate is kinda lame when sony charged the same amount for a hip blue stand and we alllllllllll bought em. :lol thoughts?

sangreal

The headset isn't wireless, btw.

You also forgot the memory card you'll need for the $299 version

Mr_Furious said:
iirc, component cables do cost extra.

the $399 sku comes with component cables

element

you can transfer your account AFAIK.
Mr_Furious said:
iirc, component cables do cost extra.
the cables are component/composite. 6 plugs. 3 for component, 2 audio, 1 (yellow) composite.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You forgot to add the price of one game that would come with the XBL kit.
$360 (Holy shit, I just thought of the perfect pitch for the 360..), $414, $460. So yea, the hardcore 360 package still costs more.

that xbox has a price thats to high, the controller s sucks, and shouldnt be counted towards the price

also 3rd party HD cables are like $10

DUKE FOREVER!

fiddlestick said:
thank you! we really wanted another thread about this!

your welcome. i just thought it'd be easier outside of the bickering and trolling. a common ground with a levelheaded comparison ya know? I dont remember my XBL kit coming with a full game. IIRC it was the motoGP demo? With a good amount of the games being LIVE there will be no need for primer demos.

okay, here's the real comparison...

Xbox- $300
The Duke- $0
3Rd party HD AV Cable- $10 (everyone knows any decent set will do)

total- $360

Xbox 360- $400
Headset- $0
XBL Account (expires in nov/dec if you got LIVE at the LIVE launch) - $50
Wireles Controller-$0
HD cables- $0

total- $450

NICE TRY THO BUDDY, AMIRITE?

bdoughty

Banned
Something must have changed but if you now go to the Xbox specs/comparisons the "Core System" now includes the HD/AV cables. Most sites and MajorNelson were claiming it came with only a standard a/v cable.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360console.htm

hdavcable.jpg

Shows up on both SKU's now.

Edit: WTF? Hmm gues it depends on what page of the Xbox site you go to. Fire that webmaster. :)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360choice.htm

bdoughty

Banned
FiRez said:
The problem is that the HD ISN'T FUC**** STANDARD ANYMORE

They never claimed it was the Hard Drive gerneration. ;) To me the "core unit" should at the very least have the HD cables since they are calling it the High Def generation.

Ponn

Banned
Lunar Aura said:
final result? in 2005 the 360 can in some ways be a better value than the original xbox was. :)

Yes theres no hard drive but those who aren't gunning for one still will have a fantastic library of exciting new games to choose from. I understand the frustration over the accessories but blasting MS for a $20 faceplate is kinda lame when sony charged the same amount for a hip blue stand and we alllllllllll bought em. :lol thoughts?

The biggest comparison between Xbox and Xbox 360? Without a HDD standard what do they have over the PS3 now? They are setting themselves up for a fall unless they are banking on the PS3 to launch at 500 bucks.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ponn01 said:
The biggest comparison between Xbox and Xbox 360? Without a HDD standard what do they have over the PS3 now? They are setting themselves up for a fall unless they are banking on the PS3 to launch at 500 bucks.

kutaragi.jpg

Translation:
I never expected anybody to actually take my bait.

Mupepe

Banned
People actually bought that stupid ps2 stand?? I just stood it up on the side of my tv and a cabinet or whatever the hell else was beside it at the time.

Zaptruder

Banned
The PS2 stood without the friggin stand! It even had a smaller footprint without the stand!

But the stand was kinda cool looking.

StRaNgE

Banned
Lunar Aura said:
I dont know about all of you but for me the $400 is pretty justifyable. the $299 is better yes but I think this will better help understand MS thinking and why what they did was right as long as they have an equal SKU amount at launch.

November 2001-Present day.

Any hardcore or above casual gamer may have spent the following

XBOX- $299
Controller S after the horrendous pack in -$40
HDTV owners ~$25 iirc for an HD pack

total- $414

November 2005

Xbox 360- $399
Wireless headset- $0
Best controller since the controller S and wireless to boot? -$0
HD cables- $0

total- $399

Casual gamer or CAG who just wants in in 2005?

Xbox 360- $299
gamers who had xbl and still wanna play?-$0 assuming you can use your old headset
Wired controller STILL better than the duke?-$0

total- $299

i must be super tired cuz i just do not see the price of the launch of the 1st xbox in there as comparison like the title says. :(

Socreges

Banned
Lunar Aura said:
Of course, "in some ways" means 1) assuming that people won't have to pay for Live and 2) adding $40 to the Xbox price since the original controller sucked. Neither excuses the prices being comparable.

Then:

Online 'experts' say that there will be no console generation for Microsoft after this upcoming one.

Now:

Online 'experts' say that there will be no console generation for Microsoft after this upcoming one.

AB 101

Banned
bdoughty said:
Something must have changed but if you now go to the Xbox specs/comparisons the "Core System" now includes the HD/AV cables. Most sites and MajorNelson were claiming it came with only a standard a/v cable.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360console.htm

hdavcable.jpg

Shows up on both SKU's now.

Edit: WTF? Hmm gues it depends on what page of the Xbox site you go to. Fire that webmaster. :)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360choice.htm

Well, as they are hyping HD, they sure as hell better ship both versions with component cables. The cost difference has to be extremely minimal.

Xbox 360 better have an optical sound port out of the box. There's no excuse not to.

You can just buy some good component cables for $20 or less.

not to mention inflation costs. 299 5 years ago would be about 357 now assuming a moderate average of 3% yearly inflation. get over it people. the only thing i wish they would have done was make the HDD standard for developers to take advantage of instead of splitting the market.

as for digital optical sound, i dont see why not, the last xbox branded component cables included it

truffleshuffle83 said:
not to mention inflation costs. 299 5 years ago would be about 357 now assuming 3% yearly inflation. get over it people. the only thing i wish they would have done was make the HDD standard for developers to take advantage of

Inflation has been that much :(

As much as I was pissed at the $400 X360, I'll see some media on DW5 Special and RR6 and can't pass up the temptation. Microsoft has me by the balls, I admit it.

THE $399
COMES WITH A HARD DRIVE???? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

$99 FOR A HARD DRIVE ISNT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. LOOK AT THE COST OF THE OTHER ACCESSORIES INCLUDED IN THE VALUE PACK, ITS WELL OVER $200, SO JUST THINK OF IT AS GETTING THE HDD FREE. NOT ONLY THAT BUT IT ALLOWS BC AND APPEARS TO HAVE GAME AND OR VIDEO CONTENT ON IT.

rastex

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Err... why hasn't anyone slapped on the $99 for the harddrive that isn't included this time around?

The $400 version of 360 comes with a HDD. And, depending on how you use Live, if you only use it for downloads and voice chat or whatever, then you can knockoff the $50.

truffleshuffle83 said:
THE $399
COMES WITH A HARD DRIVE???? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

$99 FOR A HARD DRIVE ISNT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. LOOK AT THE COST OF THE OTHER ACCESSORIES INCLUDED IN THE VALUE PACK, ITS WELL OVER $200, SO JUST THINK OF IT AS GETTING THE HDD FREE. NOT ONLY THAT BUT IT ALLOWS BC AND APPEARS TO HAVE GAME AND OR VIDEO CONTENT ON IT.

USING CAPS IS FUN!!!!

The $99 HDD is a big deal. Do you even know how much a 20 GB HDD should be going for?

LakeEarth

rastex said:
The $400 version of 360 comes with a HDD. And, depending on how you use Live, if you only use it for downloads and voice chat or whatever, then you can knockoff the $50.
Oh...I was under the impression that the $399 deal didn't come with the harddrive. Well okay, I'm dumb.

ManDudeChild said:
USING CAPS IS FUN!!!!

The $99 HDD is a big deal. Do you even know how much a 20 GB HDD should be going for?
instead of complaining about the caps you should have read the post!!!. compare the total extra cost of the accessories if you just buy the core pack. the hard drive is essentially a freebie

Dr_Cogent

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
instead of complaining about the caps you should have read the post!!!. compare the total extra cost of the accessories if you just buy the core pack. the hard drive is essentially a freebie

Boy MS has got you fooled dude.

hey guess what, quit complaining and dont buy the system

core system 299
remote-30
hd cables-30
difference og controllers-10
memory card-40

total= 410

value pack=399
everything above + HDD=0
except 20 gig HDD-64 mb

ms has you fooled

Barrage

Does anyone know if DVD will work out of the box on the 360, or if you need to buy another fucking remote?

Top Bottom