• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox Wire] Play Call of Duty Black Ops 6 Day One Game Pass

Topher

Gold Member
We’re excited to confirm that Game Pass members will be able to jump into Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 on day one with Game Pass.

As revealed last week, we will have a special Xbox Games Showcase followed by Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 Direct on June 9, 2024, at 10am PT, where we’ll share even more details on what’s coming in this all-new Call of Duty®. Get eyes on the first in-depth look at gameplay in this dark new chapter of the Black Ops series.

And, if you’re new to Game Pass – we’ve got a (figurative) mountain of games for you to check out and play while waiting for that pre-install button to light up for Black Ops 6. Check out the hundreds of games here: Xbox.com/Gamepass

Keep the comms open, we’ll have more at @XboxGamePassPC and @XboxGamePass with more details soon.

It's official

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

adamsapple

And mentions both Game Pass and PC Game Pass

Yep, I personally think people are overthinking the 'new CoD tier'. If anything, it's more likely that we get a cheaper ad-supported tier first, taking it the logical 'netflix of gaming' route.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If this doesn't do some serious numbers (in hardware and/or subs), you can bet your ass Game Pass will be killed or at the very least changed up quite a bit.

Let's be real here....this is it.

If COD can't do it, nothing will.

The majority of casuals won't care if they already have other devices. They are not going to switch.

In fact, they might not even know.

XXL

Yep, I personally think people are overthinking the 'new CoD tier'. If anything, it's more likely that we get a cheaper ad-supported tier first.
I think there still will be a change in tiers, but it's more based on the ABK games being absent for so long.

Let wait for the dust to settle and find out the details on price changes, tiers, etc. We should find out more very soon or after the conference at the latest.

XXL

The majority of casuals won't care if they already have other devices. They are not going to switch.

In fact, they might not even know.
I agree. I don't think it will have a huge effect. But, I'm extremely interested in seeing what exactly happens from this.

Last edited:

Kilau

I didn't know there was a BLOPS 5, I only remember 4 because they are worse at Roman numerals than I am.

adamsapple

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I agree. I don't think it will have a huge effect. But, I'm extremely interested in seeing what exactly happens from this.

They might already it pre-ordered somewhere for their console. PS is way to big to be ignored.

Even if i was a big CoD player (witch im totally not), i wouldn't never switch to Xbox, because these people also need to buy something completely new.

But apart from this. This whole CoD thing is the most boring thing to be hyped about.

Darsxx82

It's the most honest and correct decision they've made in a long time. It was a promise they couldn't break because that would be the final straw for their users and their own subscription business. Without testing results, they could never have justified the unsuitability of something they've been saying for 2 years that it is. .

Then, it's funny how the most surprised now saying "it's a ruinous and incomprehensible decision" are usually the same ones who months ago took this decision for granted and said "FTC and CMA, MS can burn the money they want and don't believe them even when they say COD will remain multiplatform..."

confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

Last edited:
They're either getting ready to take heavy revenue losses, or they have major changes planned for Game Pass both in terms of price increases and how the subscription works (i.e no more month-to-month option, you get fixed 6-month or 1-year contracts to sub at).

It's the only way this even begins to remotely make sense financially. Either that or they are counting on a sea of PlayStation gamers to be gullible enough as paypigs who will buy outright even with fairer options available to them on the market.

And well, there aren't too many differences at this point seemingly between the average PlayStation gamer and average Xbox gamer when it comes to crying up a storm and then being obedient paypigs seconds later :S. And it's not like Microsoft wouldn't prey on that psychology; Phil's done it his whole career at Xbox pretending to be a "gamer" for cred so the community & press like him.

It's the most honest and correct decision they've made in a long time. It was a promise they couldn't break because that would be the final straw for their users and their own subscription business. Without testing results, they could never have justified the unsuitability of something they've been saying for 2 years that it is. .

Then, it's funny how the most surprised now saying "it's a ruinous and incomprehensible decision" are usually the same ones who months ago took this decision for granted and said "FTC and CMA, MS can burn the money they want and don't believe them even when they say COD will remain cross-platform..."

confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

What Microsoft are doing with COD in Game Pass could be argued is a form of market price-fixing, they're just using another platform's customer base to cover the potential losses in revenue from their own platform where the game's being given for "free".

Mind you, there's probably no actual legal precedent for what I'm describing, it's just an idea. But I would be very interested if it becomes a pressing point going forward legally, especially if it's being done as a form of leverage to get their service on other competing platforms. Maybe the GP strategy could be argued is a type of "partial pricing foreclosure"? 😁

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Might as well call it COD:Endgame. I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Personally if I buy COD it is half off, so it will be nice to play it day 1.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

They might already it pre-ordered somewhere for their console. PS is way to big to be ignored.

Even if i was a big CoD player (witch im totally not), i wouldn't never switch to Xbox, because these people also need to buy something completely new.

But apart from this. This whole CoD thing is the most boring thing to be hyped about.
Your not a COD player so how can you even comment?

twilo99

Gamepass is DEAD!

The faith of GP hang on Starfield, that failed miserably and GP did not die. Now we move on the CoD, if that fails, GP will die, if the same process is repeated once again, we would move to the next big game that is supposed to kill GP if it fails to “move the needle”..

ProtoByte

It's not going to turn this around.
Everyone subscribed to gamepass already will take advantage, everyone else will just keep buying CoD by itself, and all they'll have is a marginally decreased revenue stream.

How long until Game Pass prices go up? I'm sure this move costs them a lot of guaranteed money so I can't see them not raising the price.

Top Bottom