• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox Wire] Play Call of Duty Black Ops 6 Day One Game Pass

XXL

It's not going to turn this around.
Everyone subscribed to gamepass already will take advantage, everyone else will just keep buying CoD by itself, and all they'll have is a marginally decreased revenue stream.
I posted it above.

It's estimated.

2.5 million increase to even make any sense ie not lose a boatload of money.

5-7 million increase in subs to be decent.

11 million increase to make up for loss in revenue for CODs first month sales.

5-11 million increase is out of the question, in my opinion, considering a bunch of people with Xbox's have GamePass already.

If this doesn't do some serious numbers (in hardware and/or subs), you can bet your ass Game Pass will be killed or at the very least changed up quite a bit.

Let's be real here....this is it.

If COD can't do it, nothing will.

True. This might just be the final test for Game Pass as it currently is. If it fails, major changes are coming. They won't gut it completely, but I can see 'Day 1' for full games going away (honestly they should've done that a long time ago and went with extended trails/demos like how PS+ and EA's subscription do things).

And honestly, even if there's a major spike in subs around the time BO6 drops in GP, that won't mean anything unless sub retention is strong. How many of those new subs are just there for the campaign and a bit of MP before dip out the next month? If the churn is too heavy (and I think it will be with the way the model currently works), MS will probably get rid of month-to-month and go with fixed 6-month/1-year plans to reduce churn.

That's of course assuming there is a massive spike in subscriptions anyway, regardless of resulting churn. Otherwise there will be more drastic changes.

Seems it will be included in both Console and PC Game Pass.

Core is online only. What Xbox Live Gold used to be.

Them Steam sales finna tank a bit. Wasn't PC Game Pass already the faster growing of the two as-is? Although I assume Xbox Game Pass brings in more revenue between the two.

I don't know if this'll lead to a big spike in PC Game Pass subscriptions; just many of those already there accessing COD through the sub instead of buying it on Steam. However, I don't think that's going go lead to much install or revenue growth for Game Pass on PC.

Last edited:

Pallas

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

rm082e

Seems it will be included in both Console and PC Game Pass.

Core is online only. What Xbox Live Gold used to be.
Okay, I thought Core came with access to a couple dozen games. I assumed there's no way they would give it away to everyone. If they can use this as a way to get Core subs to upgrade to Ultimate, that seems to be their goal?

LQX

Cant wait. Finally a compelling reason in years for me to grab a COD game on release as I have Gamepass stacked. Even without Gamepass though the setting is sort of compelling enough for me to consider it day one.

Wooxsvan

is there any fishy language in there for this to be a single player only thing for GP? meaning still have to buy game to get Multi player

Sanepar

Good to see cold shower from Matt, really.

Nobody will ditch their current platform for CoD, but it could bump the service a bit like a last hurrah.
Most who play cod, fortnite or fifa. Only play that. Gamepass has 7 years and is flat for 2 years in subscription numbers. Prices will increase with new tiers. I firmly believe will not move even 1% up in subscription numbers. But xbox fanboys will hype this for 6 months saying will change everything until reality comes.

XXL

They won't gut it completely, but I can see 'Day 1' for full games going away (honestly they should've done that a long time ago and went with extended trails/demos like how PS+ and EA's subscription do things).
They are in a weird position.

If they stop with Day 1 titles or change anything drastically, I think there will be massive backlash from the Xbox faithful.... and I mean the core audience.

Xbox IS Game Pass (and the major features of it) to alot of their hardcore fanbase.

Not going to happen with COD

But you have the right idea on some of the ways they are going to expand Gamepass perks

Guessing
You might be right, but surely it's possible? They've done that with their other big first party releases recently (Forza, Starfield, Forza Horizon I think?) where you buy the expansion or whatever and get early access...

Would be a smart move, diehard COD players will be sorely tempted I imagine.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay, I thought Core came with access to a couple dozen games. I assumed there's no way they would give it away to everyone. If they can use this as a way to get Core subs to upgrade to Ultimate, that seems to be their goal?

Yeah, it does but that is really to replace the older Games with Gold benefit. Bit of a difference between that and the game subscription Game Pass.

Last edited:

splattered

It's not going to turn this around.
Everyone subscribed to gamepass already will take advantage, everyone else will just keep buying CoD by itself, and all they'll have is a marginally decreased revenue stream.

I'm subscribed to gamepass and I still buy the games. Only time will tell how or if at all this will affect current sub/buying habits. Absolutely no way to know. We will all just have to wait and see.

They are indeed all-in on Game Pass, moreso than ever. I'm still sort of waiting for the big moment where their Game Pass plan pays off for them and becomes industry standard. It just seems like that's never really happened for them, and they've struggled to keep subscribers sticky. Like many others, I subscribe for something big, then unsub a month later. Sometimes the gap is more than a year. If anything it seems like they are just desperate for it to work, and if CoD doesn't validate investing so much in Game Pass, what will? The answer I think is probably 'nothing'. So then the question becomes, a few years from now, do they keep Game Pass around, but eventually cede defeat and walk back the whole Day One thing for all first-party games.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Nobody will ditch their current platform for CoD, but it could bump the service a bit like a last hurrah.
It can also be a message for the future...... "On our ecosistem and next console (or hybrid PC or whatever) you're going to have 'free' COD. If we count on the fact that it is going to launch new hardware soon and the commitment to the ecosystem for the future... presumably it could have an effect on those hardcore COD users.

That said, I personally believe that the decision is solely for image and credibility reasons. Do not release COD after 2 years announcing it and in the current situation, It would have been the height of dishonesty and credibility and it would be a clear and unequivocal message that they are abandoning the ecosystem, Gamepass and, of course, the hardware. If your bet is multi-platform and you have announced new hardware ("the biggest generational leap in hardware") you need to gather reasons to attract buyers, and this may be one of them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
COD about to lose a TON of revenue.

From the decrease in initial unit sales, yes, but we know that profit in for a live service game is derived primarily from season passes and microtransactions. So if you have more people playing your game you are going to have more customers for the most profitable aspect of your product.

From the decrease in initial unit sales, yes, but we know that profit in for a live service game is derived primarily from season passes and microtransactions. So if you have more people playing your game you are going to have more customers for the most profitable aspect of your product.
Is this true specifically for CoD, is the question? I agree with this for full-on service games like Fortnite, etc. CoD is not a free-to-play microstransaction-driven game. It's primarily a AAA $70 one-time purchase driven game.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It can also be a message for the future...... "On our ecosistem and next console (or hybrid PC or whatever) you're going to have 'free' COD. If we count on the fact that it is going to launch new hardware soon and the commitment to the ecosystem for the future... presumably it could have an effect on those hardcore COD users.

That said, I personally believe that the decision is solely for image and credibility reasons. Do not release COD after 2 years announcing it and in the current situation, It would have been the height of dishonesty and credibility and it would be a clear and unequivocal message that they are abandoning the ecosystem, Gamepass and, of course, the hardware. If your bet is multi-platform and you have announced new hardware ("the biggest generational leap in hardware") you need to gather reasons to attract buyers, and this may be one of them.
You are very optimistic if you think that Xbox has this much time or money on their hands to turn things around.

But I agree about the image part.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You might be right, but surely it's possible? They've done that with their other big first party releases recently (Forza, Starfield, Forza Horizon I think?) where you buy the expansion or whatever and get early access...

Would be a smart move, diehard COD players will be sorely tempted I imagine.
Nahh wont happen with COD

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Interesting. I thought they would put all previous COD's on gamepass and keep the latest one off until the next releases....but it seems like they are doing to opposite? Only putting the latest on there?? Weird strategy imo.

Topher

Gold Member
Them Steam sales finna tank a bit. Wasn't PC Game Pass already the faster growing of the two as-is? Although I assume Xbox Game Pass brings in more revenue between the two.

I don't know if this'll lead to a big spike in PC Game Pass subscriptions; just many of those already there accessing COD through the sub instead of buying it on Steam. However, I don't think that's going go lead to much install or revenue growth for Game Pass on PC.

PC Game Pass was the fastest grower at one time, but I think it stagnated along with the rest of Game Pass. But yeah......the question as to how this impacts PC Game Pass is the real question here. I expect if COD does well on GP then MS will announce "growth" but not numbers.

Fredrik

Whatever happens I get to play a brand spanking new cod campaign without spending the 70$ this year. That is wild.
I haven’t played a COD since Xbox 360 launch, don’t know if it was the first one. Should be interesting to see what has changed, I’m not subbing to Gamepass right now but it feels like it’s time to resub this year.

Dane

Finally, Cowadoody games are so fucking expensive on Steam. People here are clueless that Activision is known for asking twice or three times for old games compared to the rest of the industry.

Last edited:

XXL

It might happen for launch month, but like always with Game Pass, the achilles heel is people not being sticky enough, and unsubbing a month or two later, and numbers go back to normal.
up and down rollercoaster GIF

This is the pattern of any subscription that let's you subscribe monthly, Game Pass to higher degree because of how people generally play videogames versus how they consume movies (and they still suffer from this).

That's how I use Game Pass on my Series X and PC. In fact, that how I use every subscription.

up and down rollercoaster GIF

This is the pattern of any subscription that let's you subscribe monthly, Game Pass to higher degree because of how people generally play videogames versus how they consume movies (and they still suffer from this).

That's how I use Game Pass on my Series X and PC. In fact, that how I use every subscription.
The peaks & valleys Xbox sees in Game Pass based on key software launches is not like what other subscriptions have with new content launches, is their core issue. Whether or not they can solve for this long-term is the question.

Last edited:

Bungie

My guess is there will be some kind of upgrade pack to the other editions, so like 35 to get the highest edition. Worked well for me with starfield.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I posted it above.

It's estimated.

2.5 million increase to even make any sense ie not lose a boatload of money.

5-7 million increase in subs to be decent.

11 million increase to make up for loss in revenue for CODs first month sales.

5-11 million increase is out of the question, in my opinion, considering a bunch of people with Xbox's have GamePass already.
It's not that simple. If 11 million would cover the first month sales, then 1 million staying for a year would more than cover first month sales - either new or existing subscribers. But then there is DLC - when the game was 'free' then spending $40 - $50 on DLC doesn't seem as big a leap psychologically, basically all free to play games operate on this principle.
I will also be shocked if there isn't a paid way to play day -7 in a 'beta'.

Last edited:

XXL

It's not that simple. If 11 million would cover the first month sales, then 1 million staying for a year would more than cover first month sales - either new or existing. But then there is DLC - when the game was 'free' then spending $40 - $50 on DLC doesn't seem as big a leap psychologically, basically all free to play games operate on this principle.
I will also be shocked if there isn't a paid way to play day -7 in a 'beta'.
I agree. It's just a rough estimate, there are other factors.

Top Bottom