• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

Decado

I really wish they moved away from that jrpg hit/miss style of combat calculations and went with something more akin to jagged alliance 2. A modern version of ja2's system would be phenomenal. Yet 17 years later the biggest budget tactical game around uses something out of a final fantasy game.

Skunkers

Aw yeah, soon.

tumblr_inline_o132spDnHC1t243h9_500.gif

I must hurry and beat my EW playthrough by the weekend! I just beat the base defense mission, so I'm assuming it won't take long to get through the rest of the game based on what I've heard, especially since I'm
playing on easy difficulty and save scumming, fight me.
Even though XCOM 2's basic premise spoils what's going to happen for me in the first game, I'd still like beat it.

XCOM 2s premise doesn't spoil EU; the premise is simply that you got a Game Over in the first game lol. You can beat EU and there's an ending and everything, XCOM 2s premise is just that canonically... that's not what happened. Because that's XCOM baby.

From EGM review:

Welcome to the real world. This is exactly what makes these games exciting to play.

Also why was someone with less than 10 years of gaming experience (apparently mainly on Playstation consoles) allowed to review a big PC game like XCOM 2?

That sounds like they made the game more losable from the start? Maybe long war rubbed off a bit on the dev team? Not a bad thing though.

Excited to jump back into XCOM. Haven't played it since doing a couple of playthroughs back when EU first came out, and this looks like it will address my biggest complaints with that game: better mouse controls and randomized environments.

Can't wait!

Krakn3Dfx

Is this a reliable site? Both to have your cc info on and to get a working key...

Never had any issues, but I always use Paypal. Pre-ordered Rise of the Tomb Raider for $29 and some change from them over a month ago, and got my key a few days before the game went live. Also have Dark Souls 3 pre-ordered with them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Until I build my new computer for rift in March, I only have my alienware alpha :\ Not sure it can play this, which is a tragedy.

Mupod

Until I build my new computer for rift in March, I only have my alienware alpha :\ Not sure it can play this, which is a tragedy.

I see a lot of people unsure if it'll run - I guess steam refund is an option now at least.

Really wish they would have gotten a demo out, the previous game had one. In particular I was dreaming of a demo that let you create soldiers for your pool ahead of time so they'd be ready to go on launch day. Like, literally, I had that actual dream. I may be a little too hyped for XCOM 2.

sprinkles

I am glad I preordered this late last year when GMG did their games of 2016 sale.

I just hope we get good custom Steam Controller profiles by Friday evening, I want to play this in front of my TV like Enemy Unknown.

I see a lot of people unsure if it'll run - I guess steam refund is an option now at least.

Really wish they would have gotten a demo out, the previous game had one. In particular I was dreaming of a demo that let you create soldiers for your pool ahead of time so they'd be ready to go on launch day. Like, literally, I had that actual dream. I may be a little too hyped for XCOM 2.
Steam refund isn't an option for key selling sites though which is the way discounts are happening.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I'm totally fine with paying "extra" through Steam for the game to see if it runs - totally forgot about Steam returns. Perfect. Thx

Oh God here come the Ironman police.

the only way I can imagine playing xcom games without ironman is just by playing them like you have ironman installed but not actually enabling it in case a glitch happens or something so you can reload

honest question: people who play it without it enabled - do you guys reload a mission if something goes wrong?

Mrbob

I am glad I preordered this late last year when GMG did their games of 2016 sale.

I just hope we get good custom Steam Controller profiles by Friday evening, I want to play this in front of my TV like Enemy Unknown.
I think a good controller scheme will emerge. I'm more worried about the ui at this point. Hopefully the UI scales for sitting 8 to 10 feet back.

Teletraan1

Banned
People have dissected the game code as well as run lots of tests to see if it works. Plus there are mods to show both the percentage and what you rolled against that percentage, the numbers are completely legit.

The 100% glitch is because for some ungodly reason the chances are calculated in floats but displayed as rounded ints, so 100% is actually often something like 99.99 or something. So if it makes you feel better, a 100% shot in XCOM1 is actually still liable to miss.

(It is absolutely bullshit how they rounded percentage chances though haha)

The 100% thing really had me distrusting the numbers since I feel it is bad form to round up to 100% as that indicates a guaranteed hit but my luck is just that legendarily bad. Nothing to score a game down by though. This series is among my favorite of all time and I will pick this one up for sure.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think that site and other grey market key resellers are locum non grata here on GAF. Better not link to them.

No difference between them and GMG now that GMG is doing their own thing and no longer working directly with publishers.

People post cdkeys deals for XBL and PS+ here pretty regularly.

Tain

honest question: people who play it without it enabled - do you guys reload a mission if something goes wrong?

I've been wondering that myself. Like, I'd assume that even relatively non-save-scummy play outside of Ironman would still save/load every mission and just wind up not failing missions.

I can't imagine a game of XCOM without failing missions, personally.

Branson

the only way I can imagine playing xcom games without ironman is just by playing them like you have ironman installed but not actually enabling it in case a glitch happens or something so you can reload

I only reload if I have a full party wipe. Otherwise I live with my deaths.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't think he actually cares per se. Just making a point that if you abuse some of the features (e.g., saves), it degrades the quality of the experience.

you cant say that as a fact as if everyone thinks like that tho. I know people that can only play save scumming, they just cant be arsed fucking up and having to redo something. And they love the game. To each its own right?

I dont save scum but I play on normal for example (which apparently is harder this time?), I remember trying enemy unknown on some harder difficulty in a second playthrough because of all the "thats how youre supposed to play it man!" and had zero fun.

Top Bottom