• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

Corpekata

Banned
Because a wide range of opinions is important? Reviews aren't an echo chamber designed to reinforce your predetermied belief about the quality (or lack thereof) of a game.

Yeah, that comment is weird. Shockingly, not all reviews in the world are meant to come from the same perspective.

Decado

Any text size options? Steam controller will deal with the lack of gamepad support, but I still need to read text on my tv.

Durante

No controller support? Are you kidding? Why do this? It was there front and center in the first game?
It was so front and center in the first game that it was actually to the detriment of the KB/M controls, which are probably the primary method TBS fans on PC play games. I guess they wanted to avoid a similar scenario (and if so, I support that).

Salsa

It was so front and center in the first game that it was actually to the detriment of the KB/M controls, which are probably the primary method TBS fans on PC play games. I guess they wanted to avoid a similar scenario (and if so, I support that).

on the one side I get that

on the other, the game is so slow and methodic and you play it for so many hours that as a fan of the originals I loved the gamepad controls and they ended up feeling like an actual improvement in terms of giving me the same control while layin in bed chillin

i'll commit and sit at my desk, but im less likely to put the same amount of hours in one sitting without straining

and I probably laughed at the idea of using a gamepad when the game was first revealed

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, no shit. But the speculated reason that shady code sites are cheaper is because you can't refund them through STEAM is complete nonsense.

I think you misunderstood that poster. They're not saying that. They're saying the only way to get it discounted is through 3rd party seller where you can't do a steam refund.

Doomedfool

Looking good! Yay!

I'm currently playing through AC: Revelations (don't judge me :p), so I need to try and have it finished by Friday, or I probably never will.

Pheace

GMG shows the source of keys, if it shows the publisher/dev then it's perfectly fine

a lot of Uplay keys are from resellers i heard

Yeah, if it says "Authorized distributor", that means they can't say where it's actually from. It certainly isn't from a direct relationship with the developer in those cases.

If it lists dev/publisher it should be fine.

epmode

So can anyone comment on whether or not the KB/M controls and UI were actually improved or is it still geared towards controllers? For example, switching targets when aiming in the behind-the-back viewpoint was natual with a controller but it felt needlessly fiddly with a mouse.

Akronis

So can anyone comment on whether or not the KB/M controls and UI were actually improved or is it still geared towards controllers? For example, the way the game zoomed in to a behind-the-back angle as you chose a target. Switching targets on a controller was natual with this camera but it was a bit fiddly with a mouse.

The game doesn't natively support controllers so I'd assume it was built with KB+M in mind.

epmode

The game doesn't natively support controllers so I'd assume it was built with KB+M in mind.
Yeah, that's the hope. But the video and screens I've seen are still very similar to the last game. I'd like to know for sure if significant tweaks were made.

No difference between them and GMG now that GMG is doing their own thing and no longer working directly with publishers.

People post cdkeys deals for XBL and PS+ here pretty regularly.

I'm considering doing CDKeys again, but the last time I did it and I used my bank card (since I don't have Paypal) and they froze my card (got it unfrozen because they decided to tell me it was frozen in a letter, which I got after I unfroze the card). I'm actually thinking of just spending the $10 extra on GMG for the VIP price to get it from the actual source (which is 2K through GMG at this point). I'm really not sure lol.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
you cant say that as a fact as if everyone thinks like that tho. I know people that can only play save scumming, they just cant be arsed fucking up and having to redo something. And they love the game. To each its own right?

I dont save scum but I play on normal for example (which apparently is harder this time?), I remember trying enemy unknown on some harder difficulty in a second playthrough because of all the "thats how youre supposed to play it man!" and had zero fun.

Exactly, to each his/her own. Like I said, I don't think anyone cares. I didn't care when my best friend used the Konami code to get 239 lives in Contra in 1988; I certainly don't care if random GAF member abuses the save system in 2016 :p

Miker

Yeah, that's the hope. But the video and screens I've seen are still very similar to the last game. I'd like to know for sure if significant tweaks were made.

This is my concern as well. For all the talk of being built from the ground up for PC, it doesn't look very different or especially PC-friendly. Not PC unfriendly, either, but yeah.

No controller support? Are you kidding? Why do this? It was there front and center in the first game?

Seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal. I thought it would be so i went back and played Enemy Unknown with Kb/mouse. It's just as fun. If you were expecting to play this on your couch I feel bad that you won't be able to.

Getting this a week after release.

Anno

This is my concern as well. For all the talk of being built from the ground up for PC, it doesn't look very different or especially PC-friendly. Not PC unfriendly, either, but yeah.

Yeah I'm not sure a lot changed structurally, just seems to be in sheer number. One of the classes can have what, 14 different abilities? And most are active? And I think everyone winds up with quite a few more pretty quickly. That's the only thing I can really assume they mean. And I guess the world map being a bit more busy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
XCOM 2 |OT| 95% chance to hit consoles.

MTvIexZ.gif

epmode

Seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal. I thought it would be so i went back and played Enemy Unknown with Kb/mouse. It's just as fun.

I dunno, much of the UI was designed with controllers in mind. The KB/M controls aren't as intuitive as something like Divinity: Original Sin (which added controller support long after release, complete with a full UI rework). Choosing targets in particular would be more effective if you could just click on them from the isometric view instead of having the camera zoom to the behind-the-back view every time.

A bunch of little things like that got me to switch to a controller and I was much happier.

What were sales like for the first game?

I am especially shocked at how they are integrating the Long War mod.

I really hope that they exceed expectations.

Miker

Yeah I'm not sure a lot changed structurally, just seems to be in sheer number. One of the classes can have what, 14 different abilities? And most are active? And I think everyone winds up with quite a few more pretty quickly. That's the only thing I can really assume they mean. And I guess the world map being a bit more busy.

I meant for the controls. I'm not expecting (nor do I want) big changes for a sequel to XCOM.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXU1460m3U&feature=youtu.be&t=1418

My reaction is both Dan's facial expression and Jeff's hootin' and hollering.

Ahahahahahahaha that reviewer got screwed by the "oh 80% or higher it's a sure fire" line of thinking. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

No he didn't. They are pretty clear on where the negatives come from, and they explicitly mention that they aren't knocking the game for the chance to miss on it's own.

Don't let that stop you from dismissing the review with the "lulz" though.

Seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal. I thought it would be so i went back and played Enemy Unknown with Kb/mouse. It's just as fun. If you were expecting to play this on your couch I feel bad that you won't be able to.

Getting this a week after release.

I do not like playing at a desk, and prefer playing on my couch computer when I can. It seems like a silly thing to remove this from the game whe nit was already in a previous iteration (and worked incredibly well).

Thing is though (from what I have seen so far) the UI still doesnt look like it was designed with only a Mouse and Keyboard in mind. It could easily be tweaked a little to fit the gamepad. And I bet money there is a console version out in a few months.

Thing is though (from what I have seen so far) the UI still doesnt look like it was designed with only a Mouse and Keyboard in mind. It could easily be tweaked a little to fit the gamepad. And I bet money there is a console version out in a few months.
The console versions sold like shit and 2 won't have mod support behind it on consoles which is one of the huge selling points of 2. I say this as someone who played EU on both 360 and pc and preferred the game pad controls, I wouldn't even put a dollar on the line that this comes to ps4 and xbone.

The console versions sold like shit and 2 won't have mod support behind it on consoles which is one of the huge selling points of 2. I say this as someone who played EU on both 360 and pc and preferred the game pad controls.

None of that has anything to do with my point. Regardless of how much the first one sold, there will still be a console version of this game. That will obviously be using a gamepad. The game's UI looks like it could easily function with a gamepad. So it should have had gamepad support.

Modding is no excuse either. Bethesda's games are the most modded games on Steam, they all ship with X360 controller support.

I really hope it gets patched in sometime soon. I would rather play this on my TV-HTPC with a controller than on the gaming PC.

The console versions sold like shit and 2 won't have mod support behind it on consoles which is one of the huge selling points of 2. I say this as someone who played EU on both 360 and pc and preferred the game pad controls.

The vast majority of players will never download a mod. I have 400 hours of Civ without ever downloading one mod. It's not a huge selling point for most.

I'd wager the people who want it on console won't miss mod support of all things.

I'm buying this on PC by the way. But I'd rather play on Xbox. That's where my friends are.

jmga

The vast majority of players will never download a mod. I have 400 hours of Civ without ever downloading one mod. It's not a huge selling point for most.

I'd wager the people who want it on console won't miss mod support of all things.

I'm buying this on PC by the way. But I'd rather play on Xbox. That's where my friends are.

Steam Workshop is a huge success in many games, and this will be another one.

Your case is not the rule.

Lingitiz

Long War was such a big thing on PC though. And they're giving people pretty much everything so there's probably gonna be big conversion mods here too.

nynt9

None of that has anything to do with my point. Regardless of how much the first one sold, there will still be a console version of this game. That will obviously be using a gamepad. The game's UI looks like it could easily function with a gamepad. So it should have had gamepad support.

Modding is no excuse either. Bethesda's games are the most modded games on Steam, they all ship with X360 controller support.

I really hope it gets patched in sometime soon. I would rather play this on my TV-HTPC with a controller than on the gaming PC.

The console version isn't guaranteed yet. The devs said it's not in consideration right now.

The gamepad controls and UI were limiting them in the first game and they didn't want that limitation in this game. Hence KBM.

You can still play it on your TV. Get a wireless mouse thing or a steam controller. I personally recommend the steam controller as it's super versatile and I love it.

Why would they bother releasing a sequel to a game on platforms where it sold like shit? Why are you convinced that it's coming?

Look yeah the UI doesn't look too complex for controller support but I'm sure you'll have non native support soon and/or they'll patch it soon for controller support.

Akronis

Could we stop arguing the likelihood of the game coming out on consoles? Go create another thread and take the discussion there.

Seriously, every XCOM 2 thread has been just people wondering when it'll be out for consoles. Give it a rest already.

Lulubop

Could we stop arguing the likelihood of the game coming out on consoles? Go create another thread and take the discussion there.

Seriously, every XCOM 2 thread has been just people wondering when it'll be out for consoles. Give it a rest already.

Word

The console version isn't guaranteed yet. The devs said it's not in consideration right now.

The gamepad controls and UI were limiting them in the first game and they didn't want that limitation in this game. Hence KBM.

You can still play it on your TV. Get a wireless mouse thing or a steam controller. I personally recommend the steam controller as it's super versatile and I love it.

I genuinely have a hard time believing either of those things. There is no way in hell this is skipping the consoles. And that UI doesnt look like it was designed to only work with a mouse and keyboard. Its not like they build it from the ground up, its a slightly altered version of the last game's interface.

All of that sounds like lip service to hardcore PC gamers.

No he didn't. They are pretty clear on where the negatives come from, and they explicitly mention that they aren't knocking the game for the chance to miss on it's own.

Don't let that stop you from dismissing the review with the "lulz" though.

*shrug* Sorry. I'll try to be more stern and about-face when discussing reviews of video games.

Top Bottom