• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 Announced (Not XCX, new sequel to XB, ACE music, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudo Myo

Sorry, defenders, but I HAAAAAATE the new art style SOOOOO much. Way too moe, no way can I stare at that for 80 hours. Crushed with disappointment, I loved the other two (yeah, even X).

Was this confirmed for NA release in 2017?

Only just got around to playing X...I may end up playing two Xenoblade games at once if that's the case!

rjinaz

Of course there is no way this game is coming out this year. Probably 2019

I mean, things are different this time than with X. Soroya Saga says 2017 which is something she has never done. The US release has it listed for 2017. There could be a delay, but 2019 seems very unlikely to me. This is coming from a guy that predicted the late 2015 release way back when it was first shown or shortly after.

Seik

Banned
I was expecting another Xenoblade for sure.

But a direct sequel to the first one with the OG composer? Holy shit this is a miracle!

Hype AF, bring it, this alone sells me the Switch in a second.

I didn't think the characters could look worse than the original, but wow.

Also, super not-interested to return to this setting.

Hoping there's an XCX2.

eggandI

Banned
To people thinking this won't be out till late 2018/19

To me it looks like they are using the same engine as X rather than making an all new one. Surely that would speed things up massively development wise.

Gameplay wise I hope it plays similar to X but with no mechs. The grounded combat in X was great. Just bring that back.

anaron

Your bringing up Xenosaga III reminded me of the really jarring character design changes between Xenosaga I and II (III was a kind of hybrid between I and II I thought).

Does Takahashi / Monolithsoft just not like using the same character designers for games in a series, even direct sequels?
Takahashi and Soraya Saga were taken off Xenosaga 2 and to a lesser extent, 3. they pretty much have nothing to do with either game.

The artstyle change only even happened because the idiots at Namco thought a more realistic style would help sales.

Dark_castle

Don't insult Monolith Soft please.

32129627682_342073d477_b.jpg

It's Tales. End of story.

Lucifon

I feel like they should actually port X for the switch for the build up to this. I'm not sure I can be bothered to get back stuck into the wiiU version now but the switch version I'd probably double dip on.

Mister Wolf

Just reached home and wathed this.

So you are telling me that:

>We had Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii
>We wanted Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (a direct secuel) on WiiU
>Instead we had Xenoblade X
>Xenoblade X ended in the biggest cliffhanger EVER
>We want Xenoblade X 2 (direct secuel of WiiU).
>But they release Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the direct secuel of the Wii game.

I don't know if they are doing this to troll us xD

It's brilliant trolling on the xenoblade x fans. Those of us who didn't like xenoblade x couldn't be happier. The director has divided his fan base.

I'm so relieved. They're making a sequel for the good one.

One of the few good things that saved this presentation. Shame it probably won't even fit inside the console.

That'd be really weird if the Switch cartridges that Nintendo is having produced for the Switch don't even fit inside the Switch, doncha think?

I don't know whether this has already been mentioned in this thread, but I just would like to stress that it is absolutely imperative that we get British English voice acting for this game again.
Yes.
That or give me a quality castillian spanish dub like in zelda botw.
Its clear NoA doesnt know how to make a charismatic voice acting.

We're talking about a direct sequel to one of the 10 best games ever made, and we weren't even expecting it!!
Yeah most including myself were expecting either a follow up to the cliffhanger of Xenoblade Chronicles X or just another Xeno title altogether. Seeing by the looks of it as a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles it made me super excited.

studyguy

Not a fan of the dramatic shift in the art.
Last game took steps to get closer to what Kunihiko Tanaka had in the original Xenogears and Xenosaga games, I mean it had a look that one would have expected of the Xeno series all along. This stuff steps into some weird Tales Of territory.

Capra

Man, I really hope they go back to X at some point - I'm in the minority but I actually liked the thinner story and open world of X over the overwrought story of the first game (not that it wasn't entertaining). Some questionable soundtrack choices aside, X had a lot going for it and I'm sure with some refinement they could make a sequel even better.

Also no sequel to X means we'll never get to see the rise of the most obviously foreshadowed villain ever -
L AKA L'cirufe AKA "not Lucifer in the slightest"
- and that would be a shame for all the potential that had.

I'd much rather have this new direction in artstyle than deal with whatever the hell went on in X. Still can't get over the facial designs from that.

I think I read it was tweeted as 2017 from NOA and NOE as part of a list of coming games.

Hmm...

I wouldn't be surprised if it came out this year for Japan and then next year for everywhere else.

Buzzi

I mean... does anyone who was a fan of X not like the original Xenoblade? I feel like the original was so good.

Sure, liked it a lot (although I find the religious reverence for it quite funny), was my first Xeno too. But it was an enclosed game and basic in many aspects (the very story is "just" a good and simplified shonen reading of
XG's CD2
): I was so happy when they decided to step up their game again to create something with a much bigger scope, lore and objectives, although it was obvious there would be problems in achieving it. And X was full of these flaws, but it was (actually IS) the foundation for something more than a good jrpg, but also more than a good story driven Xenogame. The material is just there, waiting for its time to shine, and I'm still convinced there will be X-2 to address our desire.

What I was not expecting was the use of the Xeno brand to make literally a step back, which could turn into a nice game game again (since it's probably developed by team #2, I'll not shoot too high), but looks kind of a bait like "so you didn't like X huh? Then get this more-of-the-same with a commercial chardes and give us some easy money".
Xenoblade was more than just the some of ACE+, giant creatures, green plateau and bad looking dresses, but this trailer and the consequent reaction made it seem like it was that easy, which makes me sad and angry for it could mean no need for higher goals for Monolith Soft and Takahashi himself.

I'm sure (actually, I know a few of them) many X fans feel the same.

Bebpo

Banned
Xenosaga had a similar dramatic shift in art. It was jarring then, but hell iirc they had a change in VAs too due to licensing iirc, everything was strange with each new iteration. I don't even know if Kunihiko Tanaka worked on II and III

I don't even care anymore. Monolithsoft has yet to find a graphical art style they like, but they keep making (mostly) good/great games, so I can deal with it.

One day they'll find something they like and stick with it. Maybe cartoon-shading is where they end up.

If I was going to be concerned about anything in this trailer, it's less the cartoon-shading and more the age of the characters. Everyone shown is really young looking. Were not even talking about 16-18 year old Shulk & crew, but like 10-12 year old kids. I do wonder about the tone of the game. Because Takahashi stories tend to be fairly adult and often have dark fucked up stuff. I really hope he doesn't tone it down to more of a chrono trigger-esque kids fantasy adventure. Otoh if he did do some dark fucked shit with characters this young...it'd be striking, but yeah I don't think he'd get away with it since Nintendo owns them now.

I don't even care anymore. Monolithsoft has yet to find a graphical art style they like, but they keep making (mostly) good/great games, so I can deal with it.

One day they'll find something they like and stick with it. Maybe cartoon-shading is where they end up.

If I was going to be concerned about anything in this trailer, it's less the cartoon-shading and more the age of the characters. Everyone shown is really young looking. Were not even talking about 16-18 year old Shulk & crew, but like 10-12 year old kids. I do wonder about the tone of the game. Because Takahashi stories tend to be fairly adult and often have dark fucked up stuff. I really hope he doesn't tone it down to more of a chrono trigger-esque kids fantasy adventure. Otoh if he did do some dark fucked shit with characters this young...it'd be striking, but yeah I don't think he'd get away with it since Nintendo owns them now.

It could be something that happens. Who knows, Nintendo seem to be pretty hands off with Takahashi in general.

I don't expect something seriously fucked up though. Closer to Xenoblade which had its moments but not really anywhere like those moments in Xenogears.

No, why give a sequel to the game with a satisfying end before the game with the cliffhanger end?

Yes, they're doing a sequel to the better story!

No, why give it 2? It looks like another spiritual sequel...?

Yes, focus on a good story instead of open-world!

No, main character looks weird

Yes, everything else looks great

I'm conflicted

jnWake

I'm surprised at the hate of the characters. They are definitely better than the ones in Xeno X. It has a kind of PS1/PS2 vibe that I like.

Oregano

Should I feel bad that I like the generic Anime style of stuff like Tales/Eternal Sonata?

I like the look of this as well.

I'm surprised at the hate of the characters. They are definitely better than the ones in Xeno X. It has a kind of PS1/PS2 vibe that I like.

Yeah reminded me of RPGs from the PS1 era. The main character design looks bad but the rest looks pretty good.

Clov

This was the surprise of the conference for me! Didn't think that Monolith's new game would be ready so soon. I liked what I saw from the trailer, and I'm looking forward to getting it whenever I pick up a Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom