• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) is on the NA Press Site, PR and HQ screens in OP 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waji

"Pants in pants aren't stupid, it's their made up JRPG culture"
Pants in pants ? I only see some blue underwear for his "work suit".
Did I miss something else ?

Anyway, I should be lucky I'm ok with it.
I'll just enjoy the game a little more than people who don't ah ah.

mr_nexus

Banned
OikJmp0.png

The green glowing thing on her chest looks like a zohar from Xenosaga.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The character models look like shitty reject shining force characters by media.vision or tony taka

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The character models look like shitty reject shining force characters by media.vision or tony taka

The designs are pretty different I think, but aren't the models for those games and the Atelier games done by a different studio people like?

oh man I'm pumped, but that main character design is awful. Admittedly though, I actually loved XBX's art direction (even if it hit uncanny valley a bit too often and didn't always achieve what it set out to) and just have some personal biases against the more modern shounen anime look this is going for.

(also please have mech sections please have mech sections please have mech sections)

Let's not pretend character design never was one of the strong points of this series...

I disagree. I thought XB had a lot of really great, now somewhat iconic designs. It was just held back in execution by its technical aspects. XBX, while it could have done better with facial feature differentiation (especially from a racial perspective), had some really good ones as well. Elma in particular still stands out to me.

also the character designs that really matter are the mech designs and xenoblade does fuckin great with those

trejo

I think I've been spoiled by looking at 4K stuff because this looks like crap to me. Like, I can kinda sorta make out what might be some good looking art direction buried under a truly shit resolution. Man, what a bummer.

teiresias

This is going to force me to get a Switch. I just hope this means there won't be a dirth of copies. I'll probably pre-order just in case.

Opa-Pa

I'm not a huge fan of the art style here either, but Xenoblade and XCX had some of the most bizarrely awful looking character models I've ever seen in a high profile japanese game. Sure the actual designs were cool, but they translated horribly. At least these characters look decent in the actual game.

Waji

Elma says hi.
Twice

So what are Xenoblade 3DS and WiiU to each other? I've never played either but own a 3DS and just started it.
Wii = Xenoblade
New 3ds = Xenoblade (again)
Wii U =XenobladeX (Open world spin off, to not go into details)
Switch = Xenoblade 2 (same genre/type of game as Xenoblade, like FF1, 2...)
We may see more of this series on Switch.

Some people assume Xenoblade 2 is a sequel, related to the story of the first but there's no prrof of it. And considering what we know about it it actually shouldn't be a sequel.

Time will tell.

I'm one of these people who either
1) Don't care.
2) Don't see it.
But there may be something since you're not the first one saying that.
Xenoblade didn't have much problem with FPS so I don't think this one will have so much either.

I hope he gets the "part" Shimomura was working on.
Mitsuda + Takahashi is something I'm dying to hear.

How do you not see it? It was one of the first things I noticed.

CrisKre

I love how it seems instead of being humanoid, this time the world seems to be set on animals, plus they seem to be alive (or at least it seemed to me the terrain might be constantly moving).

I also think the character design looks EONS better than the original or X. It's more distinct.

Also, you can clearly see greens and plains (and ahuge chrystal?)on top of the whale-thing by the end of the trailer. Cant wait to explore it!

I have no problem believing this will release in 2017. Monolith was rumored to be working on a 3DS game a couple years back and this game looks like a jumped up 3DS game.

Has anyone heard if the original Xenoblade Chronicles might get a Switch port? I've wanted to play it forever but have always held out for a superior version. I may still just play it upscaled on a Wii U but that's not a game meant to be hampered by SD visuals.

Blarg

Neo Member
I hate to be negative, but put me in the camp of people who don't like the art style. I thought the character models were great for the most part in Xenoblade 1 and X, and I don't get why they changed it up so much. My fear is that we may be seeing the ramifications of an underpowered hybrid system here - maybe the Switch doesn't have the horsepower to pull off realistic graphics causing them to go this route, but it's poor execution in my opinion.

I hate to be negative, but put me in the camp of people who don't like the art style. I thought the character models were great for the most part in Xenoblade 1 and X, and I don't get why they changed it up so much. My fear is that we may be seeing the ramifications of an underpowered hybrid system here - maybe the Switch doesn't have the horsepower to pull off realistic graphics causing them to go this route, but it's poor execution in my opinion.

I just can't. This...I can't...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not at all. It looks pretty basic. Some decent textures but pretty simple geometry.

These are jokes, right?
And I am not the more optimistic switch lover around here

Ashe Nei

That...doesn't make much sense...

I don't have any problems with what we've seen from Xenoblade 2 characters...

More shonen-ish Grandia-style than anything. I like it.

Hopefully when they announce the delay, they'll announce a Xenoblade + Chronicles HD port for Switch to come out this year in place of XB2. I totally missed Chronicles, and still haven't finished Xenoblade.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm more likely to buy UK version of Xenoblade 2 over NA version because I really enjoy the accents and UK english in Xenoblade Chronicles.

So did I, but like the original they're only going to dub this once, IMO. If we're playing in English, I think we're stuck with American voices regardless of which side of the pond we're on.

Blarg

Neo Member
These are jokes, right?
And I am not the more optimistic switch lover around here

That...doesn't make much sense...

I don't have any problems with what we've seen from Xenoblade 2 characters...

More shonen-ish Grandia-style than anything. I like it.

I dunno, the graphics look about on par with X (which was 720p30) to me, and with Zelda running at 900p with some framerate drops according to DF, there's room for concern. But you could be right, maybe I'm too pessimistic. Will try to reserve judgment until we see more about the game.

Waji

Hopefully when they announce the delay, they'll announce a Xenoblade + Chronicles HD port for Switch to come out this year in place of XB2. I totally missed Chronicles, and still haven't finished Xenoblade.
Xenoblade is the Japanese name. Xenoblade Chronicles is the exact same game, but that's the localised name.
You mean Xenoblade and XenobladeX (cross) or Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

skypunch

Banned
So did I, but like the original they're only going to dub this once, IMO. If we're playing in English, I think we're stuck with American voices regardless of which side of the pond we're on.

The subtitles in the EU/UK trailer uses the same font Nintendo of Europe used for the subtitles in Xenoblade. That's got to count for something.

This game is obviously targeting fans of the original game - there are even Bunnits and Tirkins in the trailer. Takahashi brought the original Xenoblade composers back.

I honestly believe we're getting a British dub. Adam Howden has already teased his involvement.

Semajer

The subtitles in the EU/UK trailer uses the same font Nintendo of Europe used for the subtitles in Xenoblade. That's got to count for something.

This game is obviously targeting fans of the original game - there are even Bunnits and Tirkins in the trailer. Takahashi brought the original Xenoblade composers back.

I honestly believe we're getting a British dub. Adam Howden has already teased his involvement.

I hope you're right about the NoE dub, but Adam Howden was involved in X, which was done by NoA, so his teases don't necessarily mean NoE is involved.

skypunch

Banned
I hope you're right about the NoE dub, but Adam Howden was involved in X, which was done by NoA, so his teases don't necessarily mean NoE is involved.

All he did was battle grunt for the avatar, though. His involvement was pretty bloody minimal. Xenoblade 2 doesn't have an avatar character by the look of things, so if he is involved, he's going to voice one of the predefined characters.

Since it's a predefined character, it means the rest of the cast being British is more likely. I just don't see the logic in not going all out on a British cast.

And what about the font type used in the trailer? It's the exact same font type Nintendo of Europe used for Xenoblade.

Rune Corp

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to this and hope it's an early 2018 title at the very least. I pre-ordered the Switch for the Zelda hype and plan to cancel it now that I've calmed down and Xenoblade is one of two other games that can convince me to buy it again (the other being Fire Emblem Warriors).

P.S. Does anyone have the Nintendo Press Site login details? They usually get revealed after big events (such as their E3s). Thanks in advance.

Oregano

Allowing NOE/SIDE to take the translation lead on Xenoblade 2 would explain how Nintendo even remotely things it could come out this year considering the rest of their workload.

Very much doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom