• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Check out my post on Yakuza Fan where I discussed one of the most interesting and unique features of this series: the way they handle the passage of time.

This is a series that rewards fans for sticking through it (and not just through iterative improvements to its gameplay)

The Passage of Time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I can get skipping 3, but 5 is one of the best games in the series with an incredible ending. No need to skip it.

i am not alone in thinking it's one of the worst entries and i think most would agree 0 is a better experience

Jashobeam

Can't wait to finally play a Yakuza game in 1080p, all that glorious detail will make the city come to life more than ever. btw has there been any mention of a PRO patch?

Y3 is not a bad game but you can see that early gen jank plastered all over it. And the sequels are so much of a improvement I just can't recommend anyone to start with it.

I started with Yakuza 3 and now I love the series. The early gen jank wasn't enough of a distraction from what I thought was a really good story.

Can't wait to finally play a Yakuza game in 1080p, all that glorious detail will make the city come to life more than ever. btw has there been any mention of a PRO patch?

There will not be a PRO patch, as indicated here.

However, the game DOES run at 1080p at 60FPS. However, it'd have been nice for some 4K downsampling. Also, the game does have some screen tearing, unfortunately. Wish they could have fixed that, but oh well.

Check out my post on Yakuza Fan where I discussed one of the most interesting and unique features of this series: the way they handle the passage of time.

This is a series that rewards fans for sticking through it (and not just through iterative improvements to its gameplay)

The Passage of Time.

thanks for this. does an excellent job of describing what it is that makes this series so unique (&, weirdly enough, very touching at times)...

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm definitely in.
Will be my first Yakuza game but I loved Shenmue (even though I know there are big differences between the two franchises).

Will also feel good to buy/play a Sega game again!

Granjinha

I want to get into the series but i'm kinda confused, should i start with Kiwami or 0? Is Kiwami a remake? Is 0 a prequel? Will i get lost and confused with 0's history?

Sorry if you answered that in the OP, don't have the time to read all that (but i bookmarked it)

Heartfyre

NUfr79O.jpg

It's a busy month for games, but Yakuza stands tall over the rest. It's in my top 5 franchises in games. While it's unabashedly Japanese, I love it for that reason. To think that we'll be playing three new Yakuza games in the next calendar year fills me with a swelling joy.

If I haven't played the series is Zero a fine place to start?

It's the ideal place to start tbh. No baggage from previous stories, not very convoluted, and pretty straight forward. Later games in the series, specifically 5 - get kinda messy, even if you DO know the overarching story.

B00TE

Buying it in when it releases here despite having a japanese copy, it's so good. I may not replay it right away, but I'll do my part sales wise.

I preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon. I'm glad the series is getting a lot of attention here on GAF. I still can't believe that we are getting Kiwami and 6. What a time to be alive!

Mupod

As an outsider to the series I'm always a bit confused at how the western fanbase is nonstop doom and gloom about localization, when the games always seem to come out here eventually.

A prequel does sound like a good place to start and I'm interested in the series. I have 5 from PS+ but hauling my PS3 out of the closet is probably not happening anytime soon.

JPS Kai

Yakuza 3 should be on PS Now, I believe.

That's a great launching point because it gives you a breakdown of the previous games' events (Millenium Tower in particular) before you start it up.

jrcbandit

I'd like to get behind Yakuza, but no Pro patch and the horrible release date means I gotta pass. Same date as RE7 and Tales of Beseria and 4 days after GR2? Who makes these horrible decisions?

I've not ever played one, so I guess I'm your target audience. I read the whole thread. Im really not convinced to buy it. You clearly care so I'll tell you why you failed to convince me.

1. You don't really explain the combat. Is it a high point or just there? Is there variety? Bosses are just bullet sponges (fist sponges)? How is that fun?

2. So the only thing I know about the story is that it's got overly long cutscenes and it will be tough to remember characters names. Give better examples of why this story is interesting. I can watch 1000 crime procedurals on TV. Why should I watch this instead?

3. Show, don't say. Don't tell me it's good. Tell me why it's good. I don't know you. I don't trust you at your word for something like this.

4. Cut out like half of your words. You don't need them and this is too long. Literally half.

5. You need to address how going 0, 1, 5, 6 is going to be remotely ok.

6. The history of Yakuza does not matter.

I don't mean to be harsh. You clearly care about this, so I'm just giving feedback you can hopefully take and use to convince me and others this is worth my time.

This. A lot of this seems like pining about a series that I haven't played, and with the OP, as fervent and happy for the game as they are, I haven't been sold on the game by the OP.

Shredderi

Now the question is, are these Yakuza games actually good games, or are they just "it's yakuza" kind of deal? I have no idea about the actual quality of them.

Will always post in a new Yakuza thread. Got 0 preordered the moment it was available to be. With the announcement of Kiwami I have also have some friends looking at 0 more now, since they'll be able to easily play 1 afterword if they like it.

Aurelius

Pre-ordered it today.

Also bought Yakuza 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 day one. Planning on getting Kuwami and 6. #notpartoftheproblem

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I am offended by how wrong this is
I'm glad you liked 5, and I wish I did too! but the pacing takes a nosedive starting with Saejima's chapter and I like Saejima. The game is also really fuckin easy, I wish I played on hard... and it felt like there were far more encounters than in the rest of the series.

Tapejara

As an outsider to the series I'm always a bit confused at how the western fanbase is nonstop doom and gloom about localization, when the games always seem to come out here eventually.

A prequel does sound like a good place to start and I'm interested in the series. I have 5 from PS+ but hauling my PS3 out of the closet is probably not happening anytime soon.

Yakuza 5 was a really big scare because Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls had about a year turnaround from their Japanese releases. SEGA wasn't saying if Yakuza 5 would eventually come, and it took three years for it to finally release outside of Japan. Japan also got Yakuza Ishin in 2014, and SEGA seems to have skipped over it for a Western release.

I can't wait after finally getting into the series with 4. Now if only I could convince some of my friends to get into this.

"Oh, so this is like GTA?"

How do you respond to that?

If you say yes: "Gotcha, cool, I'll just go play GTA now".

If you say, no, it's kind of a mix between RPG and brawler that..."Okay, cool, I'll just go play FIFA now."

I think next time I just answer no without any kind of follow up and if they start to inquire I'll just snap at them for no reason and go home, maybe that'll work?

TEJ

I plan on buying y0 and kh2.8 on the same day. I love this franchise. It scratches an itch no other franchise does.

I can't wait after finally getting into the series with 4. Now if only I could convince some of my friends to get into this.

"Oh, so this is like GTA?"

How do you respond to that?

If you say yes: "Gotcha, cool, I'll just go play GTA now".

If you say, no, it's kind of a mix between RPG and brawler that..."Okay, cool, I'll just go play FIFA now."

I think next time I just answer no without any kind of follow up and if they start to inquire I'll just snap at them for no reason and go home, maybe that'll work?

The game simply isn't for EVERYBODY. You're not going to convince everyone out there, but I just encourage people to check out some gameplay videos, or if they have time, watch Hyperbit Hero's excellent video where he covers the series (up to Yakuza 5 anyway - at least in that one video)

Quite simply, if the game looks fun to you, that's because it is - and you should consider buying it. If it doesn't, then don't.

Personally, I just love how carefree these games are. They're very self aware titles that realize how ridiculous and over the top they are, and just rolls with it. While the story and it's themes are quite serious in it's tone, the gameplay is just classic SEGA arcade-y balls to the wall FUN. I don't really know what else to say. There's plenty of footage out there, go watch some.

Really excited to play this because of the new combat system (60fps is also nice). Yakuza 5 felt a bit stale to me.

This one has the best soundtrack of all Yakuzas IMO. It's unbelievably good, especially the Hidenori Shoji tracks.

Namikaze

Im a huge Yakuza fan, I even bought Dead souls and enjoyed it immensely. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up this, KH, and Gravity rush 2 within like a week of one another. 2017 is going to be crazy and I still haven't finished Y5 yet.

Top Bottom