• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon | OT | Punching and Brawling Like a G6

Kimahri

Banned
So I got that Devil Rocker dlc, but the default guitar weapon sucks balls compared to where I'm at. Anyone found any electric guitars in stores? Not acoustic guitars.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is someone playing the Steam version having trouble with the arcade classics? I can play Virtua Fighter, but others like Out Run just give me a black screen. ;_;

Start playing this one series x last night, look amazing. Kind of sad that Majama kind of destory Ichi's home. Also interesting to see in beginign of the game that millinium tower is starting construction. After the time skip i chrck ut the area and can;t find sky finance

STARSBarry

Gold Member
its insane how fun some of the jobs are, and despite how effective the starting roles are they really don't hold a candle to the sheer advantage even the early unlocks bring.

my advice for roles

Iciban keep as Hero until you hit 15 and drop for Chef, some people downplay this because the weapons are "rare" and "don't hit hard" this is only true if you ignore the crafting/upgrade shop where the chef gear is some of the cheapest and easiest to upgrade to a point, solid hits with good bladed damage and a mix of fire technique, considering the other bladed role available early on is bodyguard which self damages, this is the way to go.

Nanba, alot of people are afraid to switch due to loosing Nanbas' healing, don't be because the healing is part of Nanba's level skills he keeps the healing regardless of job, switch to musician, guitars are plentiful and the one you can trade in for cans early on can also be upgraded cheaply, homeless simply hits weak and takes far too long to become effective, coupled with how goofy this job is and its an easy switch to make.

Adatchi, ENFORCER this job is simply insane, once you get the stun stick move say bye bye to bosses because this thing wrecks.

Seako switch to hostess its superior to her starting role in pretty much every way as it gives a mix of blunt, debuffs's and cold damage over just blunt.

everyone else just experiment, I switch Nanba early on for the second female character as a dealer and found the extra damage dealer provides to be far more effective than having nanba's heals available, largely because dead enemies can't cause damage.

Last edited:

Nixonomics

I was a bit apprehensive going into this solely due to the combat overhaul but at this point I'd say this is some of the most fun I've had all year with a game. The hilarious variety of jobs, enemies, skills and animations makes the turn based combat incredibly entertaining.

How is the pc port?

I've had no issues. Playing on steam with an Xbox controller.

Is someone playing the Steam version having trouble with the arcade classics? I can play Virtua Fighter, but others like Out Run just give me a black screen. ;_;

Yeesh, I was able to play the three I found. Hopefully a reboot will sort that out. :/

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeesh, I was able to play the three I found. Hopefully a reboot will sort that out. :/
Hoep so! I did that thing on steam of verifying the files and evertything seemed ok. Will try again today.

Btw, I think you are farther than me in the game (I can't change jobs yet) so, how is the difficulty later on? I'm starting chapter 5 and so far it's easy.

Nixonomics

Hoep so! I did that thing on steam of verifying the files and evertything seemed ok. Will try again today.

Btw, I think you are farther than me in the game (I can't change jobs yet) so, how is the difficulty later on? I'm starting chapter 5 and so far it's easy.

Its been pretty smooth sailing so far. I've been sitting on my free pound mates forever waiting for the need to use them. I'm clearing all the sub stories as I go and doing some part time hero quests too so I might be a bit above the expected level. I'm still in chapter 5 too - its massive.

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m prepared for you guys to make fun of me. However, I do ask that you pardon my ignorance, but, what do they mean when they say, “Turn Based Fighting”?

I have Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 and Judgement. And my coworker is telling me Like a Dragon is different because it’s “turn based”

I have no idea what that means. If it’s a role-playing game thing, that might explain why I don’t know

I don’t really play role playing games (unless Yakuza 0 and 6 are considered RPGs. I thought they were ACTION games)

anyway, what’s different about the fighting in this new Yakuza game?

Life

I’m prepared for you guys to make fun of me. However, I do ask that you pardon my ignorance, but, what do they mean when they say, “Turn Based Fighting”?

I have Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 and Judgement. And my coworker is telling me Like a Dragon is different because it’s “turn based”

I have no idea what that means. If it’s a role-playing game thing, that might explain why I don’t know

I don’t really play role playing games (unless Yakuza 0 and 6 are considered RPGs. I thought they were ACTION games)

anyway, what’s different about the fighting in this new Yakuza game?

You don't actually control your character when fighting. You choose what he does via a menu system. You can still explore normally when outside combat though.

Anyone know if the game is too easy? Can't stand turn-based easy mode shit.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
You don't actually control your character when fighting. You choose what he does via a menu system. You can still explore normally when outside combat though.

Anyone know if the game is too easy? Can't stand turn-based easy mode shit.
Hmmmm
So what does that mean? I click a prompt and then it goes off and does what it’s programmed to do?

I can’t just walk up to a group of guys and beat the shit out of them however I want? I liked doing that in the previous games

Having fun but it def looks worse than Judgment and Kiwami 2. I guess they had to cut down some graphical effects for all the rpg stuff? Lots of low res textures, meh lighting and some facial models look worse than even 0. I'm on PC, maxed. Anyway, doesnt bother me that much, just weird.

PooBone

Looking forward to trying this out, even though I'm not very excited for the new combat system. I got into the series when Yakuza 0 hit Game Pass. I finished Kiryu's story on PS4, and I am fairly early on in Judgment. I want to finish that first before diving fully into the XSX.

I found one at the black market. Devil rocker is pretty cool, haha.

AFAIK, that's the only weapon for that class. What you can do now is upgrade it.

its insane how fun some of the jobs are, and despite how effective the starting roles are they really don't hold a candle to the sheer advantage even the early unlocks bring.

my advice for roles

Iciban keep as Hero until you hit 15 and drop for Chef, some people downplay this because the weapons are "rare" and "don't hit hard" this is only true if you ignore the crafting/upgrade shop where the chef gear is some of the cheapest and easiest to upgrade to a point, solid hits with good bladed damage and a mix of fire technique, considering the other bladed role available early on is bodyguard which self damages, this is the way to go.

Nanba, alot of people are afraid to switch due to loosing Nanbas' healing, don't be because the healing is part of Nanba's level skills he keeps the healing regardless of job, switch to musician, guitars are plentiful and the one you can trade in for cans early on can also be upgraded cheaply, homeless simply hits weak and takes far too long to become effective, coupled with how goofy this job is and its an easy switch to make.

Adatchi, ENFORCER this job is simply insane, once you get the stun stick move say bye bye to bosses because this thing wrecks.

Seako switch to hostess its superior to her starting role in pretty much every way as it gives a mix of blunt, debuffs's and cold damage over just blunt.

everyone else just experiment, I switch Nanba early on for the second female character as a dealer and found the extra damage dealer provides to be far more effective than having nanba's heals available, largely because dead enemies can't cause damage.

Kasuga's starting job is his ultimate one, but mixing in some Break-dancer can come in handly. Of course, don't forget to make him a Demolisher at least once.
Nanba has the most powerful multi-enemy debuff as a Homeless. he's also a powerhouse as a Fortune teller and a Host.
Adachi has some good stuff from both Detective and Enforcer, and Bodyguard too can be cool.
Saeko has some good skills as a chimama, but Idol is her call.
Eri as a dealer is probably the third best physical hitter in the whole game.
There are more characters, but I dpn't want to get too much into spoiler territory.
That being said, you're going to want to experiment and rank up at least 3+ jobs for each character for passives and stats bonuses.
Have fun!

Reactions: Isa

Miles708

If anyone hasn't picked up this game but wanted to, Amazon has a coupon for it right now that brings the game down to 39.99. That's a pretty great price for a brand spanking new title.
Nice! Is it for Amazon US? Where can I find the coupon?

Nixonomics

How do you like them apples?

Disgusting, you uncultured swine!

/s

Unless you're completely opposed to reading subtitles I'd recommend you try them both out and then decide. I didn't expect the Japanese track to add that much to the experience but I am much more immersed with it on. The English voice acting wasn't awful - but I didn't feel like the weird, over the top Japanese humor translated well into English. I think it's worth hearing the difference. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Disgusting, you uncultured swine!

/s

Unless you're completely opposed to reading subtitles I'd recommend you try them both out and then decide. I didn't expect the Japanese track to add that much to the experience but I am much more immersed with it on. The English voice acting wasn't awful - but I didn't feel like the weird, over the top Japanese humor translated well into English. I think it's worth hearing the difference. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I’m sure I’ll flip back and forth. I played Judgment with the English voices (first time playing a RGG Studios game in non Japanese) and thought it was really quite good. Heard good things about the English acting in this too!

Barnabot

Some Yakuza: Like a Steam Dragon screenshots, the game works fine with Dual Shock 4 (no weird inputs, no need to use Steam controller set up or emulate Xbox pad). I missed there's an OT and everything. Oh well. It sucks these don't seem to work at native res and have no options. Still great!!!
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj6n.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj8e.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202alkfb.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202r0khm.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202zbklz.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202ntkxg.png
I think I need to buy Yakuza 7 for Steam.

Eiknarf

Banned
Having fun but it def looks worse than Judgment and Kiwami 2. I guess they had to cut down some graphical effects for all the rpg stuff? Lots of low res textures, meh lighting and some facial models look worse than even 0. I'm on PC, maxed. Anyway, doesnt bother me that much, just weird.
Ahhhhh
Ok
No way I’m biting now
Gotta wait until it’s a year old

especially with the new combat system (im nervous about that)

Last edited:
Ahhhhh
Ok
No way I’m biting now
Gotta wait until it’s a year old

especially with the new combat system (im nervous about that)

I havent played much but with all Yakuza games they grow on me mid-late game. Even 0 I really hated the first hours. Hopefully the protagonist gets better as well because so far he's the exact trope I disliked in some of the yakuza cast, the loyal idiot.

TintoConCasera

Just got to the management minigame and already lost a few hours in it. Very addictive. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Really? it look and plsy fine to me on my series x

Miles708

Aside from the combat, how is the game compared to the others?
The demo felt like the city was kinda lifeless, how's the exploration, story and characters?

NanaMiku

Hmmmm
So what does that mean? I click a prompt and then it goes off and does what it’s programmed to do?

I can’t just walk up to a group of guys and beat the shit out of them however I want? I liked doing that in the previous games

You can still approach the enemy and beat them, but the battle system is completely different. I think you need to see it to understand:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmmmm

It's turn based, it's a JRPG, what more do you need explained? It's in every trailer. Think urban Dragon Quest XI. Other than that it's identical to past games in exploration/story/progression and how encounters work (you never could beat up just anyone, only enemies that started a battle confined to their space when approached).

Last edited:

Barnabot

It's turn based, it's a JRPG, what more do you need explained? Think urban Dragon Quest XI. Other than that it's near identical to the previous games in exploration/story/progression and how encounters work (you never could beat up just anyone, only actual enemies that started a battle confined to their space when approached).
The Dragon quest example is the best one because the protagonist thinks he lives in a Dragon Quest world while the other around him might not think the same so that's why the dragon quest based battle system.

Alexios

How did you get the dlc to download? Its always a pain for me to get free dlc because clicking on it launches the game instead of just adding it.
Even if it starts the game (any game) it should still be added to your account and downloaded in the background (but still let you play the game while it does that, with the game appearing "ready to play" indicating you can play but it's doing something too). Otherwise right click, properties, go to the DLC tab and enable everything.

Last edited:
Even if it starts the game (any game) it should still be added to your account and downloaded in the background (but still let you play the game while it does that, with the game appearing "ready to play" indicating you can play but it's doing something too). Otherwise right click, properties, go to the DLC tab and enable everything.

Yeah that doesn't work for me.

Soltype

Some Yakuza: Like a Steam Dragon screenshots, the game works fine with Dual Shock 4 (no weird inputs, no need to use Steam controller set up or emulate Xbox pad). I missed there's an OT and everything. Oh well. It sucks these don't seem to work at native res and have no options. Still great!!!
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj6n.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj8e.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202alkfb.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202r0khm.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202zbklz.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202ntkxg.png
Is the VF5 online?

Alexios

Is the VF5 online?
No, it's just the standard arcade mode when you go in the arcades and you can select 2p vs from the main game's title screen. So far at least, maybe you unlock stuff later? This is after getting in the very first arcade in game. No options whatsoever other than input remapping, when you sit down it just does the attract stuff, press any button and it takes you to character select for arcade mode. Vs just goes to character select. VF2 has different difficulty cabinets to choose from in the arcades and VF5 FS just has one set at default I guess. And like said they don't seem to run at native res.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
It's turn based, it's a JRPG, what more do you need explained? It's in every trailer. Think urban Dragon Quest XI. Other than that it's identical to past games in exploration/story/progression and how encounters work (you never could beat up just anyone, only enemies that started a battle confined to their space when approached).
Well that’s just it: I never played Dragon Quesr. I don’t even know if I’ve ever played a genuine RPG!

Are any of these RPGs?
Bioshock, Last of Us, Control, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Hellblade, Resident Evil 2, 3, and 7, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 4, The Division 2..etc?

I’ll watch the video from the poster above ya

Last edited:

Alexios

You can't be that dense, unless you're at most 6 years old. Whether you've played such games or not surely you know they exist and have a rough idea of what they're like, have seen videos of them, of Persona, of older Final Fantasy games before they went all action too, possibly even avoided them because you know they aren't like the games you do want to play or whatever, come on. Also the defining factor for what you're asking was "turn based" since plenty RPGs have real time action combat regardless. But no, none of those are, though they may have some elements of such.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
You can't be that dense, unless you're at most 6 years old. Whether you've played such games or not surely you know they exist and have a rough idea of what they're like, have seen videos of them, of Persona, of older Final Fantasy games before they went all action too, possibly even avoided them because you know they aren't like the games you do want to play or whatever, come on. Also the defining factor for what you're asking was "turn based" since plenty RPGs have real time action combat regardless. But no, none of those are, though they may have some elements of such.
Gotta be honest with ya: No, i’ve never seen Final Fantasy or Persona. I’m 100% serious. They don’t appeal to me.
I don’t know why

I spent all night playing the management mode. Almost done with it but holy crap the amount of money you get from it is insane.

TintoConCasera

Gotta be honest with ya: No, i’ve never seen Final Fantasy or Persona. I’m 100% serious. They don’t appeal to me.
I don’t know why
How is that they don't appeal to you when you have never seen one? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

As a fellow gamer I would advise you to try new genres, you might be surprised at how much fun you can get out of this games.

SkylineRKR

Judgment had Motor Raid which was fucking awesome (And it even had FV). It seems Like a Dragon has nothing new in arcades. Very happy with Super Hang On though, which was in 6 also but not in Judgment.

Eiknarf

Banned
How is that they don't appeal to you when you have never seen one? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

As a fellow gamer I would advise you to try new genres, you might be surprised at how much fun you can get out of this games.

Actually I have many many games

I read reviews and I guess when I see “RPG”, it reminds me of Dungeons and dragons I think, “Not for me”

I do own 50 PS4 games. Only had the PS4 for two years.

the first section is games I played more

the second section is the games that I either didn’t like OR only played once OR never finished

BIOSHOCK THE COLLECTION

CONTROL

DAYS GONE

DEAD OR ALIVE XTREME 3

DETROIT BECOME HUMAN

THE DIVISION 2

THE EVIL WITHIN 2

GHOST OF TSUSHIMA

GOD OF WAR

HELLBLADE SENUA’S SACRIFICE

INSIDE (digital)

JOURNEY (digital)