• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon | OT | Punching and Brawling Like a G6

Amazed by how good this is, but I guess that happens every time I play a Yakuza, lol

I wish it was a bit easier to avoid random encounters though. I've developed a theory of increasing enjoyment in jrpgs by keeping my level low to get more challenge and then power levelling at the end game for whatever secret bosses there are. But just like a regular Yakuza game, I'm constantly getting in fights I don't want

Reactions: Isa

RNG

Man this game is good. Never played a Yakuza game before. I kept hearing about it from the gaming media that I listen to and thought ok it's on sale good time to give it ago. I liked it so much I got 20hrs in on xbox then moved to steam and blasted past all the story to get to where I was and basically start over. It loads and plays so much better on PC than base level xbox one.

It's been a long time since I have played a game this much. There isn't really an aspect of this game I don't like. The story is good, the side quests are interesting, the game is full on my sense of humor and surprising. Most of the time you can see the joke or the story going somewhere and this thing just takes a left I didn't see coming.

Are the other games similar but without the RPG parts? I did see a handful of them on gamepass but not sure where to start once we get through this one.
Yep the other games are similar and have the same sense of humour in its side quests. Instead of turn-based they play like a brawler so you have free reign in your actions, as you level up more you get more abilities in your arsenal plus enemies go down in a second later on. I’d recommend starting with 0 as it’s the beginning of the story and work your way up. The Cabaret Club mini game is also addicting asf.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The only problem i have with the game is how fucking easy it is.

Having zero challenge kinda kill any reason to upgrade or explore for better loot...

Other than that, it's a great ass game.

I don't know how about this business running minigame. Seems like it needs a lot of tutorials. About to dive in now but I'm kinda confused tbh.

Did a part the other day where you have to lay off employees, just like in real life. Syncs up well with how "imp patient" enemy has an attack where he will grab your face and cough in your mouth so you get sick, lol

EDIT: Haha, I just failed a shareholder's meeting. Even though it's in english, playing through it gave the same feeling as when I used to try play games in Japanese text and would get confused about what's going on. It seems my chicken couldn't calm down the angry business man yelling about my financials. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT 2: Ok I'm heaps into it now. I just crushed a shareholder's meeting and doubled my shares. They banged a drum at the end with water in it or something? Some Japanese thing I guess. There's pretty colours on the rainbow pyramid, my executive bonus went up, I'm expanding... this is awesome. I don't even feel bad I had to fire those guys anymore now

EDIT 3: Top 100 companies baby! Made it by the skin of my teeth before the deadline. The business simulator is yet another great part of Yakuza that looks tedious at first but when you get into it it's awesome. I got lots of money from my executive bonuses that I use to upgrade my weapons too.

EDIT 4: WTF ERI joined my party??? Almost missed completely when I thought of skipping the running the company...

Last edited:

Erdrick

Finally finished the game, what a wild ride that was. Apparently David Hayter voices the bartender in the English version? Big ups David Hayter.
If he said "Kept you waiting (For your items he makes) huh?" I would have lost it. lol

I haven't checked out much of the English dub mind you as I prefer these games in their original language but this one sounds like they did a very good job on it.

Last edited:

RNG

If he said "Kept you waiting (For your items he makes) huh?" I would have lost it. lol

I haven't checked out much of the English dub mind you as I prefer these games in their original language but this one sounds like they did a very good job on it.
Yeah same, I'm so used to the JP voice acting in this series that I stuck with it throughout ever since they added an english option. I only noticed David Hayter's name while the credits were rolling lol.

• LOL

Zheph

Having zero challenge kinda kill any reason to upgrade or explore for better loot...

where you at ? There are deffo challenges later on but I do agree the beginning/middle is so easy

Erdrick

Just got my platinum on Sunday Night, it needed a lot of efforts but quite happy with it. Anyone went for it too?

I wish they would revamp the progression and job system if they do a Shin Ruy Ga Gotoku 2

I got mine about 5 days before Christmas or so. Had about 3 job levels maxed out and did the last bit on my first attempt. Definitely a challenge and best to make use of the Bartender's special meals. Also Peerless Resolve forever lol.

Such a great game, I'll do it all over again for the PS5 version.

Zheph

I got mine about 5 days before Christmas or so. Had about 3 job levels maxed out and did the last bit on my first attempt. Definitely a challenge and best to make use of the Bartender's special meals. Also Peerless Resolve forever lol.

Such a great game, I'll do it all over again for the PS5 version.
I think it's impossible without Peerless Resolve lol

I didn't know how much farm was needed, I stopped at every rank at 30, main one at 99 and obviously level 99 on everyone

Last edited:

GymWolf

where you at ? There are deffo challenges later on but I do agree the beginning/middle is so easy
Chapter 10, i heard that there is a spike in difficulty with a boss in chapter 12 but onestly it's too little and too late.

aries_71

Are there any difficulty settings? Can you change them once started?

GymWolf

Are there any difficulty settings? Can you change them once started?
There is hard mode but it's locked behind the requisite of finishing the game at least one time, and i fucking HATE this policy.

let me play the first and more significant run at the hardest difficulty already ffs...

I'm not gonna play a 50-100 hours a second time, especially when the plot is fixed and you don't have choices like cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Zheph

Chapter 10, i heard that there is a spike in difficulty with a boss in chapter 12 but onestly it's too little and too late.
I see where you come from, I can assure you the latest stuff you can do is very challenging but its a long way off and meanwhile it is a breeze until that chapter 12 boss (even worst if you have done a lot of the side activities early on)

GymWolf

I see where you come from, I can assure you the latest stuff you can do is very challenging but its a long way off and meanwhile it is a breeze until that chapter 12 boss (even worst if you have done a lot of the side activities early on)
I'm limiting myself on doing sidequest for that reason but i'm already level 35 just by fighting goons on the streets, the hero stuff and the enemies in story missions.

The game is indeed addictive as fuck and now i want every new yakuza with turn based combat, just do like persona 5 where normal was kinda challenging already and hard was really hard (at least for my level of skills)

Zheph

I'm limiting myself on doing sidequest for that reason but i'm already level 35 just by fighting goons on the streets, the hero stuff and the enemies in story missions.

The game is indeed addictive as fuck and now i want every new yakuza with turn based combat, just do like persona 5 where normal was kinda challenging already and hard was really hard (at least for my level of skills)
your opinion will change I think as you progress.
It is a very addictive game but I gotta say the systems need some work especially the jobs. I won't go into too much details to not spoil anything for anyone but it should be better implemented... for me even tho I had a blast, its no on the level of P5 or FF7R just on the battle system and the systems supporting it. That say, I'm so happy to have another JRPG with that scope so the flaws are nothing dramatic

Zheph

And I'm also sure people have already raved about the shift in music for this OST, much more EDM than usual rock of others Yakuza.

This battle theme is great

I would like to post another one but its spoilers territory but lets say the music of that boss chapter 12 is pretty cool :D

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I don't know if it's me but I can't get into the game maybe because I'm not used to these types of games but I did buy this game because I hear so much about this series. But after reading some comments on here. I will try again and play the game.

RNG

How the heck shareholders meetings work.
I've understood exactly 0% of what I need to do.
I picked whatever shows weak for the opening statement then match the colour icon (Blue - Building, Red - Person, Green- Cash) on the investors name with my advisors to increase the multiplier.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
How the heck shareholders meetings work.
I've understood exactly 0% of what I need to do.
Each character has a color associated with them (it's the color in the circle). Pay attention to your characters color vs the shareholder's color.
Green > Blue
Blue > Red
Red > Green

When the shareholder is presenting their question, select the proper character to counter. If you choose the proper color, they will break two shields instead of 1. Once their defences are broken, ou can start attacking their health.

Oh yeah, each character has three stats you should know of.

Charisma = Attack Power.
Tenacity = Health
Command Cost = How many Action points it costs to use them

Miles708

Each character has a color associated with them (it's the color in the circle). Pay attention to your characters color vs the shareholder's color.
Green > Blue
Blue > Red
Red > Green

When the shareholder is presenting their question, select the proper character to counter. If you choose the proper color, they will break two shields instead of 1. Once their defences are broken, ou can start attacking their health.

Oh yeah, each character has three stats you should know of.

Charisma = Attack Power.
Tenacity = Health
Command Cost = How many Action points it costs to use them
Thanks. the gist of it is that there's a rock-paper-scissors mechanic behind this. Why didn't the game tell me.

It's kind of amazing how 8 pages of tutorial for this mechanic really don't explain anything. This game lacks many of the quality of life improvements you'll find in the previous chapters.

It's still absolutely enjoyable though. Finally I'm progressing in this!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New patch says they fixed the 2D arcade games for everyone. Can't confirm, for me they always worked...
Changes:
-Adds an Upstart Assistance Pack as a gift.
Bug Fixes:
-Fixed an issue where the antialiasing option would not be saved in the OFF state.
-SEGA AGES games should now be fully functional for all players. We apologize for the delay.

Last edited:

drganon

I'm on ch11 right now. Still digging the story and game overall. Only complaint I have is that I wish it was a little easier to avoid enemy encounters while exploring the city, but it's not that big an issue.

I'm on ch11 right now. Still digging the story and game overall. Only complaint I have is that I wish it was a little easier to avoid enemy encounters while exploring the city, but it's not that big an issue.
In chapter 12 you can get an item in a battle arena that turns off random encounters

GymWolf

There is an item for that, search in the wiki how to obtain that object.

NecrosaroIII

Just finished a certain fight in Chapter 14. Japanese confirmed superior

In the Japanese dub, when Kasuga wakes up from being knocked out by Kiryu, he hums the level up jingle from Dragon Quest. In the English dub, it's just a bunch of nonsensical notes.

shimceltic

Neo Member
Only just started the game and on chapter 2. How long before I can start getting more abilities in combat? Is there a character that you can go to for training different moves like one of the other yakuza games or do you just get them through leveling up? Thanks

GymWolf

Just finished a certain fight in Chapter 14. Japanese confirmed superior

In the Japanese dub, when Kasuga wakes up from being knocked out by Kiryu, he hums the level up jingle from Dragon Quest. In the English dub, it's just a bunch of nonsensical notes.
Jap dub fuck eng dub in the ass without lube in this game, even if the eng va is good by itself.

GymWolf

Only just started the game and on chapter 2. How long before I can start getting more abilities in combat? Is there a character that you can go to for training different moves like one of the other yakuza games or do you just get them through leveling up? Thanks
Around act 4 or 5 you can change job to your characters, but yeah ability comes with level up.

The only things you get from sidestories and characters are summons and loots.

NecrosaroIII

Chapter 3 you start to get permanent allies. I think Chapter 5 is when you unlock job changing.

NecrosaroIII

Just beat it. God tier ending.

Am I right in interpreting Aoki as faking his death? The talk about rock bottom makes me think they ditched him in the homeless camp

Last edited:

Am I right in interpreting Aoki as faking his death? The talk about rock bottom makes me think they ditched him in the homeless camp
Are there different endings? In my ending...
He was stabbed to death by Koume and it broke Kasuga's heart to see it, then they held a funeral. I never saw some hint he was alive like Kasuga winking to him disguised as a bum in the homeless camp or a smirking Aoki putting a hoodie over his face and walking away at the end, or anything like that. Just his brutal stabbing and his dying words to Kasuga to keep living.

One thing I forgot to mention about this Yakuza game, and every Yakuza game really, is how they break out the most awesome music for the most climactic parts. Like the finale in this game. The millenium tower theme music is so hype! It's not just having great music, it's knowing the right time to use it

NecrosaroIII

Are there different endings? In my ending...
He was stabbed to death by Koume and it broke Kasuga's heart to see it, then they held a funeral. I never saw some hint he was alive like Kasuga winking to him disguised as a bum in the homeless camp or a smirking Aoki putting a hoodie over his face and walking away at the end, or anything like that. Just his brutal stabbing and his dying words to Kasuga to keep living.

One thing I forgot to mention about this Yakuza game, and every Yakuza game really, is how they break out the most awesome music for the most climactic parts. Like the finale in this game. The millenium tower theme music is so hype! It's not just having great music, it's knowing the right time to use it

That's the ending but pay attention to his next words he says
"Starting over from rock bottom, huh? Sounds like pretty good odds."

At several points, they refer to the homeless camp as rock bottom. Plus it's established as a place where they would take people to have them fake their deaths

Last edited:

That's the ending but pay attention to his next words he says
"Starting over from rock bottom, huh? Sounds like pretty good odds."

At several points, they refer to the homeless camp as rock bottom. Plus it's established as a place where they would take people to have them fake their deaths
It would certainly be nice but
In the case of wanting to suggest such an ending to the player I feel like 99% of games would show some kind of figure to give the impression that it is or could be the young master. With Yakuza's level of not so subtle showmanship I would honestly expect to see him walking past Ichiban with his face covered and as their two bodies pass each other everything turns to slow motion. You know how they do that kind of cool cinematography. Since Ichiban has to restart his life without the Yakuza or his relatives, he could just be talking about starting at Rock Bottom for himself.

Of course this would ignore that he is CEO of Ichiban holdings and personally has Bill Jobs on his payroll, but that's a minigame.

Rewatching it, I see what you are getting at, but I don't think the game is trying to suggest he is alive at all. Having said that, maybe what you're noticing is them leaving little doors open for themselves to do a surprise return later. What I mean is, you're not supposed to walk away from that ending thinking the young master is alive, but if he shows up as a huge plot twist in a future game, they have a way to explain it. He can say "remember? I started over from rock bottom in the homeless camp, where everyone goes when they fake their deaths." I'm not saying that's what will happen, but there's definitely a chance that will happen. So your theory might possibly prove to be correct, but no one is supposed to think the young master is alive based on that ending.

NecrosaroIII

How long of a gap is there between Yakuzas? I want more. This shit is like crack. Might check out Yakuza 0. I know its a different game play, but the tone i bet the story has a similar tone.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

I don't see when he'd orchestrate that, it'd be dumb (even if dumb has been done before) to claim it happened imo. It's just a switcharoo, you think things will turn out okay after all then BAM, denied, he's gone, fuck thay guy, too late for regrets ,you can't escape your past and try again like nothing happened boyo, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG
Top Bottom