• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P thinks in the future (about 10 years from now) there will be no need for platforms as everything will be accessed through the cloud

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
unless you are telling me i can access the games everywhere without a single issue like disconnecting, latency, lag, thats not going to happen.

Games will be accessed through cloud sure, due to convenience, but removing actual platforms would be a very stupid thing to do.

PS remote does not even work properly with my ps5 in the same room, let alone the cloud

Last edited:

Doom85

Nintendo and Sony when hearing this:

GIF by MOODMAN

Dude should learn how to make RPG elements relevant in a RPG before advising the console leaders on what to do. THAT’S what would make me happy.

50 cent laughing GIF

Thirty7ven

Banned
Consoles gonna kill PC any day, mobile going to kill consoles any day, cloud going to kill local hardware any day, and more importantly the number of people who know how to control a 3D camera on a controller is going to magically increase 10x any day now.

Also somebody tell these devs they can release their games on multiple platforms.

Let’s get the party started.

Really tired of this conversation 😴 people have been calling for the death of consoles for more than a decade i see no reason for consoles to go away even if cloud gaming takes off because it'll never be better than a local experience just look at streaming vs a dedicated 4k bluray player the gulf is huge especially with the sound quality no to mention game ownership. Furthermore, the consumer should be the one to decide if consoles aren't viable anymore I don't see consumers clamoring for Microsoft or Sony's cloud offerings and it's the best quality it's ever been. I hope Nintendo stay traditional forever

DW74

I'm sure it will happen as well. Because I am not some fanboy tween with no foresight.

But it's going to mean having a vastly different web infrastructure or some new tech not in play yet.

Some new type of fiber to every house?

Yes please.

Last edited:
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Well, we can all take solace in knowing that Nintendo is gonna be at least 10-15 years behind the curve on that... So there's that.

I'm sure it will happen as well. Because I am not some fanboy tween with no foresight.

But it's going to mean having a vastly different web infrastructure or some new tech not in play yet.

Some new type of fiber to every house?

Yes please.

What can be done with relatively modern connections now is pretty impressive. Just like most evolving tech, it's more or less available now, it's the more rural areas that will have issue catching up.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I'd leave gaming if that were true. Also I think governments around the world should ban the word cloud. Stupid people all around don't know what it actually is, it's using someone else's computer over the internet.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Man, denial is strong around here

Some of us have been around the block. In this industry we get a “welcome to the future, the past is dead” every couple of years.

Predicting the future is apparently very hard. It will get easier with quantum computers.

The fact people continue to overlook the stone cold fact that people have to learn how to play games, and that games can get very complex to your normal person, says a lot about how miopic a lot of people are. Let alone all the rest.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

No. Just no.

How about we have the ISPs put in the high speed lines they were contracted and already paid to do in the US first before we keep doing this pipe dream.

Plus individual companies won't go for this. Gonna have a profit sharing model Yosh? This will never fly.

Lunarorbit

This guy has no expertise about gaming, it’s a billion dollar industry and hardware competing with streaming is just coincidence meanwhile fanboys are screaming at their screens and only care about competing.

bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE
Hey, Goldberg doesn't look too bad. Gotta be in his early 50s. I also thought ric flair was ancient when I saw him at royal rumble in 92... and now I'm the same age

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sure when the generation that started on NES all finally die you can flip this switch.

It needs to be an additive/option. I’m all digital in everything I do but I still find value in offline access like when I’m on an airplane using my deck.

As if there would be only one cloud then…
We will have the PlayStation Cloud, the Xbox Cloud, the Nintendo Cloud, the UbiCloud, the EA Cloud, Epic Cloud and so on.

Maybe it is easier to develop for all them (I don’t think so, cloud doesn’t mean, the same technology is everywhere), but surely not “everyone can play”. There will be exclusives. Look at video streaming.

Chukhopops

It’s a dumb thing to say because even if everything goes to the cloud you’ll still access it through a specific platform…

But then I wouldn’t expect anything out of the guy who produced the abomination that FFXVI is.

Holammer

He's not wrong, the average consumer will play games via the cloud 10+ years from now and they will willingly go digital/cloud because it's super convenient and fast.
Even if consumer CPU/GPUs keep up and have revolutionary performance gains, MS, Sony & Nintendo will still go with cloud gaming because it's so much cheaper and gives them full control of product & consumers. Consoles will be reduced to an app on your phone or TV, the only physical you'll order from them are branded lifestyle products, controllers and other peripherals.

The future console warrior will wear his colours proudly.

4UXzPpD.jpg

daninthemix

* running on PC hardware in the cloud. I'll continue to run the games locally, with full mod support et al, please and thankyou.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sadly he’s probably right. The same way streaming TV and movies is good enough for 98% of the population this will be good enough for them too. The tech right now is very good and 10 years from now it will be way better. People with dedicated hardware for gaming will be like people who still buy blu rays and audiophiles.

xrnzaaas

It won't work as an exclusive or even primary way of accessing games. Imagine the infrastructure needed to support hundreds of millions of cloud players at the same time. Both on the client and server sides.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sadly he’s probably right. The same way streaming TV and movies is good enough for 98% of the population this will be good enough for them too. The tech right now is very good and 10 years from now it will be way better. People with dedicated hardware for gaming will be like people who still buy blu rays and audiophiles.

Passive entertainment where local hardware has only affected resolution.

It’s an absurd comparison. Would make more sense for people to believe that hybrids like Switch are the future.

Meanwhile Xcloud is going nowhere, Nvidia doesn’t provide concurrent/daily active users for GeForcenow, and hardware continues to sell.

Any day now.

Also please solve the problem of hardware advancements for gaming purposes if the cloud is the main way people play games. What do you do? Upcharge every time there’s an hardware upgrade? Or provide inconsistent and random quality to people paying the same $?

Never mind local internet infrastructure. Or running costs, which now fall on the platform provider. It will end up being cheaper to buy a console.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

We'll all be dust at the time that ALL relevant markets have a digital infrastructure that would make this situation feasible with 100% coverage if it ever happens....
So a resounding "bullshit!" from my side.

Top Bottom