• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi Touch & Go: Official High Scores Thread

john tv

All right, the game's officially out now, so importers (and Japan GAFers), post your high scores!

I still suck, but I'll start with mine:

Score Attack: 312 points
Endless: 3240 meters
Time Attack: 3'24"5
Challenge: 2249 meters

Bring it!

Amir0x

Banned
I have to get over the disappointment of it not being a platformer first.

Oh, also I have to get over the whole 'not being in the US and hating to import' thing too. Post scores when it's here, you tricksy fellow!

Bebpo

Banned
Just did my first games:
126 in score ranking
1740m in endless

Is there a way to make Yoshi move faster? Game seems really slow-paced. Also I keep getting demolished in the baby section. It's tough because by the time you've looked up to see if the baby fell off your designated path, it takes a bit to get him on a new path and he gets horrible murdered in the meantime ^^; I need some practice :p

Bebpo

Banned
Also, do coins have any point in Endless? I keep wasting eggs to get all the coins but I don't see anything keeping count of them?

Amir0x

Banned
lockii said:
ITS NOT A PLATFORMER!?

WHY IS THIS TRAVESTY BEING UNLEASHED UPON MY MIND ONLY NOW?

it is but a drop in the bucket...

...if it's as addicting as everyone says, I vill overcome it!

lexi

Banned
Amir0x said:
it is but a drop in the bucket...

...if it's as addicting as everyone says, I vill overcome it!

I suppose, but I'm like a beaten wife here.

The new 2D Mario game better friggin own, I want something of Yoshi's Island calibre.

Jonnyram

YuChai said:
what is the difference between the Endless and Challenge mode?
Challenge mode is 10 times harder than Endless mode. You also have to keep "recharging" your time, so it doesn't run out.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I suck too hard at this one, but LEOsh (Mrs Charlie) has :

Score : 303
Endless : 3650 m

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Score Attack: 330
Endless: 3560
Time Attack: 3'33"
Challenge: 3161

Woot woot

Oichi

If you get less than 100 during Baby Mario's fall in Score Attack, just restart. That's by far the most important part of the stage. Getting over 100 gives you way more opportunities to get over 300 because you'll have more eggs to use as ammo, plus there are way more targets on the screen.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Does this game just hit a point where it gets insanely hard or something? You all seem to be hovering around the same level at your best.

john tv

Mama Smurf said:
Does this game just hit a point where it gets insanely hard or something? You all seem to be hovering around the same level at your best.
Yeah, at hte point you press START and the stage begins. :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hah. Managed to try out multiplayer yet?

And I'm actually glad it's tough, I was worried that Nintendo were going to think making games simple to get into again would mean making them easy too.

Oichi

Mama Smurf said:

Not anymore. :)

Challenge: 4136

Woot! :D

Plus there are some things that can screw you up... Yoshi's throw animation is a little slow, so if you come into contact with an enemy while he's throwing, you die. Also, encircling enemies is not always accurate. You just have to keep track of so many things at a time (especially in Challenge, with 2034957309 spinies and flying bats AND keeping in mind the time limit) that it's hard to get everything.

DCharlie

my biggest complaint is that sometimes you don't throw when you should - you draw a 2 cloud line.

it's driving me insane.

I managed to get 138 on the falling section yesterday, but started getting annoyed everytime i missed the bonuses on the Yoshi stage.

Awesome game though

Bebpo

Banned
My biggest complaint is that I still can't look at the two screens at the same time. During the baby section I just look at the bottom screen and keep making the path assuming the baby is staying on it. Every few secs (or when I hear a wierd noise) I glance up to see if he is still on track or has fallen off the path. During the Yoshi section I have an incredibly hard time hitting things on the top screen with accuracy. I usually just fire off about 3-4 eggs in the direction I want and hope one of them hits the object.

Dual-screen is going to bring about the downfall of my gaming skills :(

DCharlie

me and mrs Charlie played quite a bit of the vs. mode.

it's download only - which is a little bit of a pain as it takes an age to down load the code.

the game is played with your opponent in the top screen.
You are both running along an identical 1000m Yoshi level.

For every combo you do greater than 3 (ie: hit more than 3 objects with one shot) , a set of Red Spinies get created at random locations on your opponents screen.

The idea is to kill your opponent (one hit = death) , survive longer (they die without you creating a spiney), or to reach the end of the 1000m section before they do.

It's fun, but it's a little too lightweight - which is my only complaint with the game on the whole, but that maybe down to my initial expectations of what the game was going to be.
I'd have just liked lots of different style stages, a short story mode, something like that to give the game a more rounded feel.

Oh, and an actual Balloon Trip mode, which is how i thought this game started out :(

DCharlie

"Is this game any good? What's the final verdict?"

IMO - best DS game to date.
Good use of the DS functions.
The game is pretty much unlike anything else, which is fantastic.

The downer is the actual size of the game (i feel somewhat short changed by it all)

But yes, definitely worth trying.

CamHostage

I still suck, but I'll start with mine:

You got 312 in Score and 3k in Endless and you suck? I haven't beat 250 in Score yet, but I have to be better with the Mario Drop part.

Well, it's kind of just one stage (with a lot of variations, plus other stages in Endless and Challenge ... it's more than one stage, but it's kind of geared like a single-stage arcade game instead of a platformer), so you get so far and you'll eventually screw up.

DCharlie

i just had 160-something on the first part alone, and my fucking batteries died!

ARSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

YuChai

In hong kong, some one posted his score 8xxx for the endless mode. besides, it will have a white yoshi (unlimited eggs) / purple yoshi (super fast) when u reach some criterias.
IMO, one of the best games in NDS (but NDS also don't have too much good game at all) and it will be better if they included more features. e.g. boss

DCharlie

"how many times are you gonna let that happen?"

my DS batteries have died at the two WORST points ever in the history of man kind....

god damn it.

DCharlie

Right, 315 in score attack, not got anywhere near 160 again ! feck

Starting to notice a lot of annoying things about the game now as well.

The enemies that come from behind on endless are amazingly annoying.
That's basically it, you miss any of these and it's game over - the monkey in particular.

STOP Drawing a fucking line when i want you to shoot! GOD DAMN IT.
Also, some throws seem to go way off where i'm throwing them...

On the Score attack, i can't begin to express my fury at certain issues ....

There is a bat following a chasm on the Yoshi level , and no matter what i do - the game will NOT shoot a shell at it. It ALWAYS draws a line. I've tried this about 10 times, and it just will not shoot the fucking thing. This has resulted in death unless i draw a circle.

The Circle drawing is far from perfect - that's driving me a little crazy too.

The falling mario - .... if i draw a line that is on a 45 degree angle going down from left to right, and mario hits it going downwards near the top , mario will floats back up the line and drop off to the left... arghghghghghghghghhghgh.

Also, something that's happened a few times - if i capture something in a bubble and i'm over a chasm - POOF! the clouds under me go! I thought this would be somethign to do with limited amount of cloud, but even with the smallest plateux, it just completely vanishes.

I'm sure i'll get much higher than 315, but my desire to play the game much more is already wearing off. It's just not enough for me. It's a great little game, but it's lacking several modes IMO that would hold my interest. This with a "Mario Land" style world would have been awesome as a puzzler/platformer. At the moment, i feel i've got an enjoyable, yet highly repetative and short lifespan game. We shall see.

Jonnyram

It sounds like you're playing a totally different game to me at times. You sure it's not just frustration that's making you "find" these problems? :) I've never had the last problem, for example, where capturing a bubble makes clouds disappear. That's just messed up.

DCharlie

"It sounds like you're playing a totally different game to me at times. You sure it's not just frustration that's making you "find" these problems? I've never had the last problem, for example, where capturing a bubble makes clouds disappear. That's just messed up."

ha ha ha - could well be - but regardless, as much as i like the game, there just isn't enough of it to make me want to play it much more.

The bubble thing i can recreate - i'll show you it on thursday

metroid23

330/4226/4'21"5/1425m - first day

The only strategy that I've found works with Mario consistently is to draw several horizontal lines so he stays afloat and then grab all of the coins/enemies for him and send them up. It seems like every time I try and play it the "right way," he just ends up floating over the edge of my oh-so-carefully-drawn slide and then screwing up my whole plan. :(

Very pretty game, and I love how the high score system works (date + color yoshi + caricature) so I can see me and my fiance dueling a lot with this on plane trips and such.

kiryogi

Banned
Woo count me in! Actually my sister is currently playing it. Got the last copy today at my local import store. *Sorry Bobby! But I did manage to play around with just the baby mario part and that alone was neat. I'll post my scores soon XD Or hers.. :/ (She just recently beat my Lumines scores too)

Oichi

I got 4055 in Endless Mode... is anyone trying challenge mode? IMO that's the hardest one to play through by far.

Bebpo

Banned
I really need some tips for the baby part in score attack. I've been playing it a bunch and my average for that section is around 70 coins. If I do really really good and make great lines so the baby hits all the blue coins + I bubble a bunch of enemies I'll get around 85-90 coins. I've yet to hit 100 once and people like DCharlie are doing 160 :\

Is it worth bubbling up the coins outside of your main path? I just noticed you can bubble several coins at once but it isn't really helping my score.

I noticed that if you bubble 2 enemies at once you get a bonus, is this the key to getting high scores?

...and any other useful tips would be appriciated.

thanks,

Oichi

I usually score around 120 by gathering stray coins and creating a path using the clouds... like this

X
XX
XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

X
XX
XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXxxx

Er, the board won't let me replicate the second 'platform' properly, but you should be puttinga small wall on the right side of it.

i'm not the only one who though this game was going to be full platforming style game, was I? I didn't realize it was more of an arcade style score-beater game until i read someones impressions of it...

Really enjoying it so far. Played for about 4 hours yesterday, RE4 wasn't even touched despite the fact that I'm on the last chapter. Initially I was quite worried about the fact it was score based but that flew out the window after a few plays, definitely my favourite DS game so far. Those moles are causing me a few problems in Endless though, way too fast at times, especially when you have koopas thowing spikes at you and about a million bats flying directly at you. Frantic stuff at times.

Score Attack: 327 ponits
Endless: 4215 meters

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
does the L button or d pad do anything?

Sounds like they could have fixed the line/shoot problem by making the L button hold down to enter the firing state.

also seems like this game would have been perfect for a mission mode that was basically a series of puzzle/platform levels. as I believe DCharlie isasking for.

Endless - 6554m

Bloody hell it gets hard after 5000m, Baby Mario is an absolute lifesaver. At one stage there were about 5 flyguys shooting bombs at me from the top screen, some of those blue guys, 4 bats, a few spikey balls and some normal shyguys. The screen was completely filled up with enemies and I was frantically trying to draw a cloud barrier near the top screen while juggling the hoardes from below as well. I swear I was on autopilot for the last 500m, plus the fact that the red light was on and I was terrified the DS would just give in. I'm exhausted after that, need a rest I think.

kiryogi

Banned
12#$#%$#*%^ and here I was excited about making 5k! Damn you chibi! Well at least I have the 2nd highest Endless score :D

Endless: 5139m

I seem to suck at score attack however D:

Score Attack: 501 points
Got 150 on the Baby Mario stage, the actual Yoshi stage goes on a bit further if you score over 130 or so.

Sorry kiryogi. :) 5000m is just a tiny bit away from 6000m, all it needs is a Baby Mario to get you through the tough bits. I got 5800 last night and thanks to getting two Baby Mario stars back to back, bloody gust of wind got me though.

Hans

Score Attack: 524 points
Endless: 6597 meters
Time Attack: 2'50"3
Challenge: 3927 meters
Mini Game: 114

Top Bottom